Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Finding magic in all the smallest things.

Afternoon Snow
P
Shiroshika
Counsellor
12-17-2022, 04:04 PM
He'd gone off on a long morning patrol and encouraged some of Shiroshika's wolves to plan a hunt for the near future, figuring they could all benefit from teamwork and full bellies. Quicksilver, of course, was eager to play his own role in such a gathering and more so to have his offspring along to learn from the experience. They were fast getting the hang of catching smaller prey, though very soon their skills would need to be strengthened in how best to safely fell larger and more dangerous creatures. The druid considered it, planning how best to instruct the pups, as he picked his way toward the den where he and his family had made their rendezvous.

“Hey,” he crooned to @Reiko, after a beat of surprise to find her lingering there. Vienne and her brothers were off on their own, likely exploring within the boundaries he'd set for them, and Quicksilver had assumed his mate would've gone off to busy herself elsewhere as she often did. He moved in to greet her, reaching to nose fondly at her pallid brow if she would allow him. “Everything okay?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png]
Paladin
12-17-2022, 04:40 PM
Struck with worry as representatives from both Vanderfell and Shiroshika left to join the trial she believed had nothing to do with them, all the Empress could do was sit, wait and wish for their safe return. It was days of agony that she sat by the borders, ears drawn and listening to the music of the winds for news - only for her wish to be granted as Quicksilver returned safe and sound with news that @Ira and her own companions returned home safely as well.

Days have drawn on since then. Of the news of what had occurred, how the skies had opened up and given a verdict for the trial itself. How @Kuhn had shown continuous aggression and unpleasant glares toward the representatives of packs he had once harassed himself.

As far as Reiko was concerned, he was just as guilty as the woman of the seas. How he had certainly learned nothing and showed little appreciation for the luck that occurred that fateful night that allowed him to escape their clutches to end his reign. The news of him bearing Duskguard's scent was of no surprise either, Tiberius was after all a traitor and had shown his colours. What was most disappointing was the realization that they had officially gained an enemy. And one that was no further than a few days walk.

“My husband.” She cooed softly, hoping her concern wasn't obvious but it seemed she was wrong. With eyes cast down at his approach, she welcomed his presence now just as ever before. “Are we safe?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
Paladin
Counsellor
12-17-2022, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2022, 04:58 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
She was not at ease, the druid gathered as he withdrew to seek her gaze with his own. He blinked, feeling that he knew her well enough to understand that she had something stressful weighing on her mind, and he gave pause to consider how best to approach her regarding it. Reiko was strong-willed, but she was a natural worrier - their return to Tsukiishi had gone as smoothly as it possibly could, yet the possibility of danger kept her on edge. He understood the concern, however, for he had felt it himself often enough.

It was difficult for her to let her guard down, especially now that their brood had experienced a taste of independence.

“Of course,” he tried to reassure the snowflower gently, his feathered silverwhite tail giving a relaxed swing at his slim hocks, “I'm sure I caught a whiff of @Rajani this morning, though. I don't like the way he lurks.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
12-17-2022, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2023, 01:26 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
The snowy peaks were their home. They were here before Kuhn had decided to hunt on their lands and begin a feud that never needed to begin. They retreated once for the safety of the members, and though they were safe for now, the concern that Kuhn would return always lingered. This time there was the threat of a pack war breaking out should they defend themselves against the tiger. She could only hope with their alliances with Haldis (@Sorina) and Vanderfell (@Ira) would be enough to keep them at bay and for peace to continue.

Even if it was strained.

“Has he done anything else?” The mention of Rajani drew her attention. It was a long struggle to trust one another, but as far as she knew, the feline had done nothing to warrant distrust. “He knows of our history with Kuhn. Perhaps he too is concerned.”

Nor did she want to brush off Quicksilver's concern for another tiger lurking around their borders. The last thing they needed was a repeat of the last - but if Duskguard had theirs, it was only wise to keep on good terms with Rajani.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Counsellor
12-17-2022, 05:26 PM
To find the stink of cat on his turf offended Quicksilver, and he hadn't forgotten the way Rajani had regarded him on the outskirts of Tsukiishi - almost as though his presence was an inconvenience. The druid frowned deeply, recalling how dismissive the tiger had been of his very real concerns. Reiko questioned if he'd been up to something, if he'd perhaps done something to further frustrate the Emperor, and it irritated him that he could give no response to support his desire to shoo the beast far from their home. It was a complicated situation; Reiko had tried to keep Kuhn away, and ultimately it'd ended in chaos. The last thing Quicksilver wanted was a repeat of that misfortune, yet he did try to keep a close watch on things involving Rajani.

He shook his head at the dove's question, and realised then that snow had accumulated atop his crown. Quicksilver chuffed softly to his mate and moved off, beckoning her to join him within the shelter of their cave. He could feel warmth on his damp paws as he stepped over fresh furs, likely delivered by @Gyrfalcon, and he took a seat atop the pelt to be comfortable as they resumed the conversation. “Perhaps,” he agreed, though a discomfort itched beneath his hide. Quicksilver simply did not trust the big cat and didn't understand why he would concern himself with the affairs of wolves. What interest was it of his, whether Kuhn assaulted Shiroshika or not? “So,” he twitched a whisker, eager to divert attention from himself and return to more important matters as he sought to meet the Empress' eye, “what plagues you, my love?”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
12-17-2022, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2022, 08:36 PM by Reiko.)
“My dear, your concern is well received.” With his invitation, she stepped forward, closing the gap between them and pressing her nose against his cheek for support. To steady his own worry that drummed with her own at a different tempo. “There is still much work to be done to trust another feline, we will not do so blindly.” However, she did hope that he would see the benefits of trying. That the packs wouldn't be seen as prejudiced against a species just because of one bad encounter, and how much safer they would be with their own ally of such prowess.

As for what plagued her... She swallowed.

A hard, uncomfortable lump slid down her throat dryly that nearly made the woman wince.

“I worry.” If that wasn't obvious enough.

Letting her bum rest upon the warmer grounds of their den, she touched the furs beneath her does and let the tendrils of her tail curl through the furs as she brushed through it. “With a pack by his side, I am concerned he will grow bold with his hate.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Counsellor
12-17-2022, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2022, 09:09 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 2 times in total.)
Quicksilver welcomed his beloved to him, accepting of her weight as she pressed her body willingly to his own. He felt the caress of her snout to his tufted cheek and practically turned to putty in her paws, content to find himself basking in the comfort of her embrace. His lids fluttered closed, briefly, to allow himself a moment of reflection; he loved her, wholly and completely, and she eased the fraying of his nerves with ease. “Mm,” he hummed in response, lids parting to reveal powder blue eyes that sought the vivid cyan of his snowflower's own, “it is probably best that I don't involve myself too much. I don't think he is very fond of me.”

He didn't care, truthfully. Quicksilver did not wish to make himself emotionally available to big cats, and certainly wasn't prepared to consider building a friendship with one. He was social only among his own kind, wary of felines especially after the attack on himself by a snow cat and the offending behaviour against Shiroshika by the rogue Kuhn. He was simply unwilling to allow a third opportunity for such fickle creatures to hurt those most beloved to him.

Reiko admitted her worries of Kuhn, especially now that he'd aligned himself with Duskguard. The silverwhite could understand her concern, considering her previous camaraderie with the Chieftain who'd once run with Shiroshika. It was @Tiberius who'd stood protectively over the Empress while she lay unconscious after the attack by Vera, he who'd glared at him with distaste while he worked to tend to her grave wounds, so it surprised Quicksilver to learn that it'd been Reiko's most trusted guard who'd betray her following the battle for the Everfrost - to choose the feline over his friend and leader, and sour whatever relationship they'd once had.

The Emperor swallowed, his mind reeling as he struggled to find the words to reassure his mate. He understood why she fretted, considering the hostility between the trio. Would it be so easy to recruit an army to seek revenge for a fight that wasn't there own, however? Quicksilver imagined it would depend on the payment, and how much they valued their own lives.

“We have Vanderfell,” he reassured his dove, voice hushed as though this talk of an assault on Shiroshika were a grave secret, “and Haldis even closer. We will look out for each other.” He did not know the exact location of Duskguard and nor did he particularly want to send a scout into potential danger to obtain that information, though he could not deny that it would be valuable to know. He looked to Reiko, his gaze soft. “I believe that we can live here peacefully,” he offered, “though we mustn't grow complacent. We ought to recruit more - it should be easier now that Winter is upon us. Increase our numbers, even if only for the cold season.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
12-17-2022, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2023, 01:25 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
Velveted cyans locked with the pastels of her husband's. Each with their own disquietude out into the air around them. Both husband and wife soothed the anxieties the other held deep within their chest. Sharing the burden as true partners should, shouldering the burden the other held respectively. “You need not worry, I will occupy myself with Rajani.” After all, he had done enough as well when it came to the felines.

It was her time to step up and show that she could extend an olive branch to the other species after Kuhn's disaster.

"We have Vanderfell", as he spoke, she nodded. Hoping that she would not bother the High Queen again with Shiroshika troubles unless absolutely necessary. Haldis was the better option as they were closer, roaming in the woods the tiger once had.

“Mm,” humming in agreement, they had to keep their guard up. Aware that Kuhn could arrive any day and they had to be prepared for the worst. “Perhaps it is my turn to speak with @Sorina and solidify any potential alliance between kingdoms of frost and snow.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Counsellor
12-18-2022, 09:54 PM
He was content to leave the topic of the loitering tiger behind them. Reiko's openness to trusting Rajani around their territory was not something Quicksilver could embrace, but he was willing to meet her in the middle. The snowflower had so far respected her husband's concerns and had perhaps restricted the feline's presence to the borders herself. More importantly, she had not allowed him near their young cubs as far as he was aware, which was a great comfort to him.

He blinked at the mention of the Lady Paramount's name on Reiko's tongue, and flopped his tail I'm approval of her suggestion that she share words with Haldis' Alphess herself. “I think she'd appreciate that,” the druid told his beloved. Quicksilver was slowly gaining confidence in himself, growing into the title he'd inherited following his marriage into Shiroshika, but pack politics was not something he wished to navigate on his own.

“I want to visit with Vanderfell before the Winter grows to harsh to travel,” he said, reaching to pepper a kiss to the base of Reiko's ear, “and Filavandrel wishes to accompany me. I think he's old enough to have some responsibility.” He looked at his mate, curious of her opinion. Exposing the Princes and Princess to new things certainly made him anxious as a parent, but it was important to prepare them for the future as representatives of Shiroshika. “We can drop by Haldis along the way, perhaps suggest we would welcome her to visit Tsukiishi?”

the staff team luvs u
12-20-2022, 09:36 PM
They had come to an agreement as to their next actions. He would travel to Vanderfell with one of their sons, while she would wait for their return with the other two and the pack to guard in the meantime.“I will see you upon your return.” A lick placed on his cheek, giving Quicksilver not her blessings as he was a free man to do as he pleased, but entrusted him to return safely instead.“Once I greet you —” In a rare moment of flirtatious advances, hinting to mischief - being an Empress meant she couldn't show such a side too often unless she and her husband were alone...

“I will take my own leave to meet with Sorina if she does not visit during your absence.”

the staff team luvs u
12-21-2022, 06:16 PM
Reiko did not oppose yet another departure on his part, and he felt a little guilty for unfairly assuming she might have something to say about his suggestion that their firstborn accompany him. He would've understood any concerns she might air: the world was unforgiving, and a travelling parent and cub were sure to be easy targets. Quicksilver didn't want to keep their brood cooped up forever, however, and absolutely did not want for them to fear life beyond their silver towers.

So he smiled, thankful that there would be no frustrated words between them to sour their son's first excursion to touch base with their allies. It only brightened at his mate's very unexpected, flirtatious remark that suggested a warm welcome upon his return. Spurred by it, Quicksilver emitted a low rumble of approval as he shifted to nip fondly at the silken snow-white of Reiko's cheek.

“I shall make sure my absence is not prolonged, then,” he teased, brows lifting coyly as he drew back to exchange bedroom eyes with the Empress.

the staff team luvs u
12-21-2022, 11:07 PM
With the return of her playful gesture, her face felt warm under his touch - certainly it was enough to give Quicksilver haste in his step as he returned with their son by his side.

“I will wait as long as I must.” An eternity and a lifetime again.

“Before you depart I would like to speak with Filavandrel.” As much as she trusted her husband and his father, Reiko would always worry. Wanted to make sure the little prince minded his manners, was presented properly and was reminded to remain near his father's side at all times.

They will not lose another.

They had @Haruki now, and too soon would it be should another go missing. “It will not delay you long.” She reassured with a smile.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top