Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Will the Stars Align?

P
Pre-formation
02-25-2021, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 06:55 AM by Aso. Edited 4 times in total.)
for @Orlaith short short

Cold was the first sensation to grip her consciousness. A biting, that almost seemed to whisper like distant memories. She shuddered as a gust of wind swept the heights, encouraging her to rouse from her empty dreams. At first, all she saw was white, though as her vision focused Ira found the tops of clouds cutting against pillars that rose into the sky. Mountains... but not any that she recognized. This wasn't home and as she racked her mind for any events prior she found nothing, just like her dreams.

A quick scan of her surroundings proved that she was alone, or at least for now, though even the wind seemed to hold no scent. No pack, no companions, though that seemed almost normal. Maybe the solitude should have been more frightening, but for now, she embraced it. Company was not a priority. Food, shelter, water, those were priorities. So for now, she would wander.

the staff team luvs u
02-26-2021, 02:33 AM
Orlaith always had vague memories, ever since long ago she was struck by lightning, majority of her past had been laid a mystery. Vaguely she only knew some of it from a wandering acquaintance, however beyond that was just a hopeless dream. She remembered though, upon being struck, the warrior was indebted to a pack near the river who took care of her so. However, her head throbbed when she tried to remember what happened from then, and now. She could not recall why she was here, and not at the river she so vowed to protect.

She huffed rather angerly, confused and frustrated why none seem to come forward. Her mind felt clear, yet all she could see were but blurs of the imagination, and a blank in history. Orlaith knew she had to be somewhere, and came to the endless journey did she so take. A walking without a rest till she knew what to find, anyone, or anything of familiar traces. While she couldn't put a face upon the figures, the warrior knew there was many that she could call a packmate..

A familiar scent wafted to her nose, but she could not put two and two together. Guarded though, Orlaith followed.

the staff team luvs u
02-27-2021, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 05:58 AM by Ira. Edited 4 times in total.)
Shelter seemed as good a place as any to begin her search. Having a place to rest, a place to return to, it would serve her well especially if she were to stay in the mountains for more than a few days. Carefully, Ira trekked along the sides of cliffs and mountainous valleys, searching the walls for crevices or openings. Digging a hollow would be difficult here between the stone and snow, her best bet was to find a spacious hole.

Unaware that another was now on her trail, the roan woman pressed on, only pausing when something promising arose only to deem the spot unusable. It was one downside to her height, not any hollow would do or she would find her legs asleep by the time she awoke. Perhaps it was luck that she found a change in winds, or maybe it was her somewhat drowned experience living in the mountains as a child. Whatever the reason, the shift caught her attention, a worthwhile sign to follow as the gust led away from the cliffs.

Her new set path led her to sparse trees, dotting the mountainside and sloping downward as stone shifted to a mix of stone and dirt. The base led to a pool of water, shallow from the looks of it and mostly frozen with the cold of winter. What was more promising though was the gaping hole along the rock wall that towered into higher clouds. What lingered inside was unknown, though from scent alone the place seemed abandoned, or at least for now.

the staff team luvs u
03-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Slowly did Orlaith find the source of the trail. She didn't particularly hide herself too much, as in general she wanted to find the individual. Especially because of how much she hated not knowing anything, again. At this point it generally felt like something was wrong with her, and maybe her own memories were still scattered since being struck by lightning. She definitely did not remember her life beyond the pack that saved her so, and not knowing where the members were irritated her so. A swish behind and a subtle growl approaching from her throat, before snorting it down and continuing to follow.

Names couldn't come through, but vaguely could the a face drift forward as she came closer and closer, the scent more clear then ever. Unknowing so, her tail slightly moved behind in an exciting matter, as if her body had remembered so. Finally, did the appearance of a gray woman come through, and a name slipping out of Orlaith's mouth, "Ira?"

the staff team luvs u
03-02-2021, 10:34 AM
The roan woman had begun to suspected the presence of another, though it wouldn't be until later that the silence brought them forth. A voice called out to her by name, a voice somewhat familiar, though when she turned to meet the other woman's gaze she found herself at a mental block. To call her a stranger would be wrong, in fact, she was quite sure she did recognize her, though her name slipped her mind. It wasn't often she crossed women of her size, or taller in this case. There was a certain heat which radiated from her akin to that of a warrior, had they met in battle... or perhaps a common struggle?

You know of me? Her expression failed to show her recognition, instead only a brow rose as she turned to properly greet her new company. You must not be of these lands, for you too seem familiar... pray tell, what brought you here? What do you know? All she had scented until now suggested these lands were bare, save for what prey lingered past the warmth of their winter dens. It suggested that she must have come from further up the mountain, though if that were the case how long had she been there for no scent to remain at the lower reaches?

the staff team luvs u
03-03-2021, 05:40 AM
"Maybe i'm mistaken for another woman." What Orlaith thought was a woman she knew, but she did not return the gesture, and only looked at her with a vague familiarity. The Alpha she knew was always clear-minded and would not simply forget too easily, yet the other displayed the same scar markings she bared. Her mind kept telling her it was the same wolf, yet logic thought that the other wouldn't simply forget her that easily, would she? "You have a twin or somethin'?"

"Or are you Ira?" With narrowed forested eyes, Orlaith was growing rather frustrated rather quickly. 

"What do I know?" Though enough an odd question was asked that gave the fire warrior a raised brow as the roan woman asked, "I only wandered here after losing my pack." She could not say though the memory of even walking to here.

the staff team luvs u
03-05-2021, 12:24 AM
I have a sister, yes, but you are not mistaken. The other looked at her with scrutiny in her gaze. Were they not been close then? If there was bad blood then at the very least she seemed to not bare her fangs. My apologies if my greeting was not as warm as you hoped. I'm afraid my mind is clouded. I know not how I arrived here, only that I too was wandering before I awoke. 

This woman though, she knew her. Perhaps even what she could not remember, What shall I call you, traveler? She advanced slowly, half circling the large body of fire, searching her mind for what made her special. Rain was the only thought to come to mind...a raging storm, then a flash of white.

the staff team luvs u
03-17-2021, 12:39 AM
"Were you struck by lightning again?" The other approached and circled, and she did the same, though her nose lowered while inhaling her scent. The woman sounded, looked and vaguely smelled like the Alpha she knew, yet the others memories were so vague. She knew the other with great familarity, so the warrior was hoping, but it wasn't as received as she would like. Long ago she remembered being struck by lightning beside to other, and assumed perhaps the same again.

Shitty luck, huh.

"I am Orlaith, I was one of your warriors." She wasn't sure, if she still was.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
Adventurer
03-18-2021, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:29 AM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
"Were you struck by lightning again?"

Again?

It seemed clear all but for a moment. The burning, the river, the scars that traveled a woman's side...Orlaith's side. Ira gave but a simple shake of her head. As far as she could tell, she seemed uninjured, something perhaps she should count her blessings for, though that still did not explain the fog in her head. Nay, just troubled. Ordinarily she might not reveal as much, though so far she had no reason to distrust the other. After all, what little she could recall lined up and she knew of her name, that was no mistake.

One of my warriors... she parroted the line back, her gaze shifting to the cloud-covered peaks of the mountains. I rather like the sound of that...though under current circumstances, I can not fault you for breaking any previous oaths. Nevertheless, should you choose to remain I will gladly take your company. The gold glint of her eyes shifted, catching sight of the green amongst the other's blazed face as she awaited an answer.

+1 point

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
03-22-2021, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 01:57 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
It didn't occur to her how the 'scar' was no longer there. She though held familiarity and great memory upon being struck down, and the journey to gain her previous memories once more. The arm that travelled with the lightning stung slightly, yet, nothing was there. It somewhat confused her for a second thinking she should see but pale skin in it's place, yet her fur remained glorious and groomed, something she took pride in.

"I would prefer so, after all, doesn't look neither of us know what's around here." The other may not be especially familiar with Orlaith, and only vague memories it seems, but she would rather travel and continue staying with so. Memories served that she enjoyed Ira's company so, and prided herself of being a warrior. She was no rogue or loner, but a wolf that needed a pledge to. It felt satisfactory to do so once more to the Alpha.

But Orlaith was stubborn to say it out-right that she missed Ira, and simply gave a grin that said 'don't got anything else to do.'

+1 point

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
Adventurer
03-23-2021, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:30 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Funny how memories could be so flimsy and malleable... The scaring was almost burned into her mind even though it was not her own flesh that suffered, but now as she looked at Orlaith...it was as if it never happened. A trick of this land perhaps, that what memories she did find be altered with the rest too far to reach. Never mind that though, it mattered little what she believed of the past so long as it did not affect her future and missing scars were low on her priorities.

The fire-clad woman held her pledge, even with the hollow void between them. Perhaps Orlaith also felt it, how it felt as if something more should be there, but then again she seemed to remember more than herself. Very well. For now, we should make this cavern our base. Once more she gestured with her muzzle, but this time to the gaping hole beside her. What laid within was still unknown, but it seemed to be a suitable shelter for now. There's much to learn about these lands. Resources must be secured and a roof over our heads is a step of many.

+2 points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
03-29-2021, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 01:58 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
"I can standby and guard." Her forest-eyes wandered to where Ira pointed, and Orlaith nodded so. She wasn't the best scout, often finding information by the rougher ways, trying to force it out of wolves and entering conversations. Definitely not one to be able hide easily and gather information, she found it much easier to stay behind and continue watching over their claim. Not many would want to challenge such a territorial wolf, even if they weren't wary of her size.

"Anyone else ya know around here?" Was it just them?

+1 point

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
Adventurer
03-29-2021, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:30 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
can probably wrap up here!

Orlaith was quick to offer herself as a guard, something that clearly suited her with that stature. The roan woman gave a single small nod as her gaze turned to the cavern. It would do them well to split up tasks and if she wished to protect and secure then so be it. In that case, I will travel out for answers and food. There was bound to be something in the lower reaches of the mountains. Up here hunting would be challenging and whatever could traverse the mountain peaks would likely know how to evade dangers.

You are the first I have met, but I doubt you will be the last. It took a certain breed of wolf to pick the mountains as a home. They could be tough and unforgiving, but fruitful to those who persist. That being said, they were more likely to encounter others where the land was flat and easy to tread. Explore this cavern, see that it will provide us the shelter we need, and ensure that it remains safe. I will search for others that may be of use and send them this way.

+1 Point

the staff team luvs u
03-30-2021, 04:24 PM
"Will do," the best a wolf could do in terms of a 'salute' was to place a paw onto her chest as a promise of sorts. The other was always saw as a General of war, rather then just an Alpha or a Queen, and Orlaith could not remember the term she called her before. She somewhat threw that factor over and continued upon the term 'Alpha,' but grinned at the thought of calling the other General. Except, she wanted to be called General too.

"I'll be here." As the other sought for food and information, she would be dutiful.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top