Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
I'm sending the raven

Sunset Sunny/Clear 50° F
Group Only
Warcrest
12-02-2022, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2022, 04:07 AM by Nyra. Edited 1 time in total.)
Perhaps @Jinx ? :D

So, they had one more amongst their ranks now. 
Nyra hmmed as she caught the newest member's scent laced within her kingdom's reaches.
It made a pang of possessiveness unfurl in her breast, but the flame of it was snuffed as the Queen reasoned to herself that Satan, though sexual, wouldn't give her up for anyone else. 
He was too possessive and he wanted her to stay here, she knew as much in her core.
So she had to trust her mate and his decisions. 

Nyra exhaled sharply, quietly, and continued prowling through the Eye, making patrol rounds as she usually did these days. 
She had not traveled in a while, she mused, but her presence would be needed here very, very soon. 
Within the next month or so, if her sense of time was right - and it usually was. 
She knew her season would be upon her, so, she stayed within the Desert for the time being, mainly for Satan's sake so he knew without a doubt that the pups she would bear were definitely his and his alone. 
As it should be, in her mind given her position. 
Or would he complain if she were to do as he had done? Solidify an alliance by having children with the leader?

The possibilities were mulled over in her mind as the Warqueen continued on, adding her scent to stale markers as she went. 
She would run into someone soon enough.
the staff team luvs u
This is my art, and it is dangerous 
Paladin
12-02-2022, 10:06 PM
If she knew that the appointed queen was harboring distrust solely due to her mate having recruited her and Jinx being around, she would have laughed. The young woman had no interest at all - sexual or emotional - in Satan. It was difficult to have feelings for someone you barely knew, and Jinx was laughably borderline asexual. She needed that connection, and she was also fresh out of the yearling stage. She could stand to mingle more before settling down with just one wolf. Plus, while Satan was strong and an alpha, that didn't make him all that desirable for a partner.

She liked to wear the proverbial pants. Jinx had a feeling he wouldn't share easily.

Still, it didn't stop her from moving around Warcrest. The Eye of Oasis harbored tall walls circling an almost blood-red center. The dunes around it are hostile and formidable. She sniffed casually, spying a pale woman's approach. Maybe not her in particular, but the other wolf was marking borders. Jinx decided to join her, due to her own need of being useful. Though it lacked good intentions like being a goody two shoes and benevolently helpful. She was new to this world; Satan offered her a place to grow a bit. She'd take it.

"Mind if I join ya?" Jinx approached, stopping a cautious few steps away in case the other decided to lunge. Her scent wasn't fully Warcrest, but she had been active here lately. And rumors, the news even, spread of new members. "name's Jinx" She feels the foreboding urge to avert her eyes from a higher-ranked wolf, unaware she spoke to the queen herself. So she did so anyway out of instinct "I'm new here. Wanted to refresh myself on the border lines, that's all."

the staff team luvs u

[Image: 47915375_gilvLSzmW1kIQQ6.png]
JINX IS A 3-2-1 RATED TOON
innuendo and swearing is allowed
& violence requires consent
12-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Nyra glanced toward Jinx as the female approached, cautious-like.
At least that's what it looked like, given that the newest member stopped a few feet away. 

The Queen smiled softly at Jinx as she introduced herself and her reasons. 
"You may join me if you wish. I am Nyra, Queen of Warcrest." She would respond, gesturing with her massive head for the other to follow her as she began walking again.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
12-08-2022, 07:59 PM
Ah, so this was the alpha's mate. She nods, bowing her head on instinct. It wasn't like Nyra had done anything to give real fealty, though Jinx kept her mannerisms polite. Satan was the same; until such time she could trust these wolves, she was giving a half-assed effort inside of her mind. "Then ya know better than anyone where the border is." She did remark as she followed after Nyra. A queen had to know her kingdom, after all. That's what Jinx assumed anyway.

Being shown the border was something new. Jinx was aware kingdoms even had them, despite their open hub policy. Travelers could venture inside, past guards, and go to market. But it was different also. Even if they were allowed inside, guards watched their every move. They had been trained to detect trouble and newness. This was the sort of realm she had come from and was used to. A wolf pack was not. So she would pick up what Nyra taught.

"Here?" She asked, approaching an old scent line. Jinx's eyes trained on the invisible line, wondering if borders had been moved or remained the same. It was a bit outside of a linear path, marching into the Badlands more. But she decided more territory was better than scrambling for territory. She brushed against the sparse foliage that poked from the sands and moved on, continuing to follow Nyra.

the staff team luvs u

12-17-2022, 04:46 PM
Nyra would rumble in acknowledgement as Jinx remarked.
A Queen did have to know her kingdom, and Nyra knew hers rather well, especially from the past when Sanatorium held reign in the Eye, before Warcrest ever did...
The Warqueen prowled along and would look to Jinx as she asked about the stale marker, to which the Highblood gave a nod of confirmation and freshened a different marker some small ways off.

"What are your skills?" The Royal would inquire casually after a time, intent to know more about their newest body.
Trust or no trust, knowing your subjects was a benefit, and there was little to lose from gaining knowledge, especially in this case - or so she believed at least.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
12-27-2022, 06:37 AM
Skills.

She supposed that was a fair question, considering she was new to Warcrest. Nyra would probably want to know where to focus her for rank or some shit. Jinx took a mental lunge at the pack being darker aligned. There was no reason to keep it hidden here, but if she was driven out... Better now than later. "I know plants and poisons." She confessed boldly.

"I can also fight, but I'm still learnin' there" She admitted to Nyra as she brushed against another faint border marking. Yes, she could fight but... She had once been able to use poison coatings to gain an upper hand "so while I learn, I'd rather direct my skills fully to healing and harming." She shrugged lightly. Jinx would have to find some sort of tutor. Luckily, Warcrest seemed to be... Well.

Physically driven.

the staff team luvs u

12-31-2022, 06:56 AM
Nyra looked upon Jinx with intrigue as the gal confessed her knowledge in herbs and poisons.
She also noted the admission of needing to learn how to fight, though she at least knew the basics from what Nyra could garner. 
"How about a trade between us?" She mused after a moment, pausing to freshen a different stale marker. 
"I teach you all about how to fight, and in return, you teach me all about how to use herbs and poisons?" She suggested. 
Knowledge was knowledge, and having plenty of it was nothing to sneeze at. 
Nyra offered a smile, viperish as it was, it was genuine.
Her interest too, was real. 
But, she would leave it up to Jinx if she would accept this trade of knowledge or not.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
12-31-2022, 10:18 PM
She had a feeling. A small, festering, and defiant light that refused to go away. She liked Nyra. Not in the sense of romantic intent, but more along the lines that Jinx could at least get along with her. Nyra was straight to the point and didn't beat around the bush... While Jinx could be sneaky and underhanded, she was at least blunt with her words at times. The fact is, she could enjoy company like Nyra's from time to time.

Other sneaky and underhanded folks could not be trusted, obviously. Two bullheaded personalities often clashed if the same. "I accept," Jinx said as she returned from yet again marking another faded border marking on their line "though I came from a place where I had the ability to hold things and use weapons too" She added "so I cloaked my blade in poisons, and used my hands to apply medicine to wounds." She scowled briefly, lacking the ability now.

"It'll be an adjustment" She ventured "I highly doubt coating your teeth in poison is doable here." The life of a wolf was limited in nature.

the staff team luvs u

12-31-2022, 10:36 PM
Nyra's eyes glittered with approval as Jinx accepted, telling of her past a tad and the inevitable work-arounds for different limbs and such.
"You were a human once?" Nyra inquired to clarify, with slight intrigue.
"I have always been a wolf. Though I distantly remember watching them from afar when I was still in my homeland." The Warqueen said of her own past.
She moved along as they conversed, keeping one ear swiveled toward Jinx when her gaze was not upon her.
"You are correct. From what very little I know about poisons, I do know that coating your teeth in any would end badly." She chuckled softly, the amusement clear.
"You were an assassin then, in your past life?" She decided to ask after a time, briefly looking to the woman.
the staff team luvs u
01-01-2023, 02:54 AM
"Yeah."

The ability to hold things would be lost during the time spent here. If she could go back, would she? Definitely. She would, even if nothing tied her to either realm right now. At least her people respected nature and animals; the kingdom had not. The roaming caravan had been her home and house, their teachings now lost on her in exchange for being... less than what they would accept.

War did that to you.

"No," She was not an assassin "I chose to use it to get an upper hand on my enemies. It wasn't forced on me, nor did I get paid for it in any way" In short, Jinx had adjusted to the use on her own terms. They got what they deserved she always assumed. She leered almost. "I consider it recreational use." But... It was different here. Eyes on everyone. Watching. Waiting. She only acted if the wind was in her favor. At least Warcrest had nothing to fear.

the staff team luvs u

01-01-2023, 03:09 AM
Yeah.
Nyra nodded in acknowledgement of the confirmation, listening further as Jinx corrected the Queen on what she had been, in a way.
I chose to use it to get an upper hand on my enemies. It wasn't forced on me, nor did I get paid for it in any way
She thought she saw a brief glimmer of displeasure as the newcomer added I consider it recreational use
"My apologies," Nyra hummed, pausing in her prowl briefly as she offered it whilst looking upon Jinx, "My intention was not to offend." She uttered, continuing their talk in an attempt at a different path after a few minutes.
"When would you like to begin on our agreement?" She inquired, openly allowing their newest blood to decide when their exchange of skillsets would set off.
the staff team luvs u
01-01-2023, 03:22 AM
She almost laughed again. Almost. "You didn't insult me," Jinx would try to drive that point across as bluntly and honestly as possible. Though she still retained her level voice, finding no offense and being offensive "you asked me a fair question" It was nature, at the core, to ask questions "if I was pissed off, you would have known. I ain't very subtle about that." Tricks she could do, but hiding emotion when she truly was mad or angry was not something she was mastered in.

"It was a fact of my life," She ventured "and it continues to be one" If Jinx was truly embarrassed by it, she would have lied to Nyra and said 'no poison' when asked what her skills were focused on anyway "until it becomes a hindrance, I'll keep going at it. Not much more about it than that." She shrugged. Nyra was 'okay' in Jinx's book, but she was also an unknown. She wasn't going to bawl and cry and sob to Nyra about her sad little life. The rust woman used poison as an easy way to kill.

The war queen continued to ask when Jinx wanted to learn. "Any time" She responded. Not like she had anything better to do, right? "But I wanna stock the pack's cache quickly, so if it's okay I'd rather focus on herbs and poison first. You can teach me fighting any time."

the staff team luvs u

01-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Nyra's amusement continued to shimmer on her face as Jinx assured she hadn't been insulted by the Queen's question.
Though the Warqueen could feel a similarity between them when it came to masking rage.
She, too, still struggled with hiding wrath on occasion, though she would not advertise this. 

The response to her last inquiry was a fair one. 
Nyra couldn't fault the rust-woman for her answer, and thus - "That is fair." She hummed, marking one last stale spot before she would turn for the main parts of the Eye once more.
"I will not slow you by insisting I journey with you to help gather herbs, where you desire to fill them in speed." She reasoned casually, thinking..."Though perhaps me being a bodyguard for the occasion wouldn't be too hindering, hmm?" She would inquire, intending to keep Jinx's urgency for swift gathering in mind. 
If the rust-colored gal declined for the meantime though, the Queen wouldn't take offense.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
01-02-2023, 07:37 PM
Hmm. "It ain't exactly slowing me down when I know where and what to look for" Jinx proclaimed "I'll have to go to Temperate for most of this shit. It's a place I don't know very well, so the bodyguard thing is better than being alone" Plus "You can also help carry some back to Warcrest. Two mouths are better than one. Can hold more." And during that process, she could explain at least some foliage to Nyra. The added muscle if they ran into trouble was also welcomed.

Jinx turned away from the border, it freshly marked now. She added her scent to the last piece of it and moved back to stand with Warcrest's Queen. Nyra wasn't her queen, not by a long shot. Her people were ruled by nobody but themselves, and she carried that ego to this world as well. But maybe, just maybe, Nyra and she could be friends. Maybe. Allies were more possible in Jinx's eyes. Friends could slow you down. They were almost borderline worthless. 

An alliance with the queen of a pack was more promising than a friendship with the queen of a pack.

the staff team luvs u

01-06-2023, 04:12 AM
A drop of humility from the royal-blood.
"I was moreso worried I would slow you by not knowing what to look for, or what it looks like." She smiled, offering a breathy, brief chuckle.
She would continue in her prowl as Jinx spoke, proclaiming also her lack of knowledge within the Temperate.
"Most of my time has been spent here in the Desert. I travel often, but not frequently enough to know the lands outside by heart." The Warqueen admitted, "Regardless, I will go with you for the reasons you've given." She stated, figuring she may have enough time between now and the eventual, hopeful stages of late pregnancy or birth, to do all this.
Nyra offered a pleasant smile as they returned to the inner reaches of the Eye, giving Jinx one last look "Let me know when you are ready to go." She uttered, figuring it may take a day or two at the least to prepare.
the staff team luvs u
01-07-2023, 03:08 AM
"What sort of teacher would I be, expecting you to know everything at once?" Jinx shot back, a curled smirk - akin to a ghost of a smile - crossing her lips "and it'd be pretty damn boring, teaching someone who knew everything anyway." Deal aside, it was true. Her tail swayed between her back legs lazily, feeling the conversation closing naturally. When Nyra said to let her know, she nodded.

Her eyes flickered northwest, to where the border of Temperate and the Desert was. "It'll be soon, hopefully," She informed the queen "but we're done here, yeah? I'll mark the border again in two days, now that I know where it is" She added, beginning to walk away. Jinx dipped her head in a manner almost respectfully obvious "thanks. See you later." Hopefully, the keyword. She didn't know the queen was yet pregnant.

But she probably would in time. Pups and pregnancy was not a thing she focused in.

/exit

the staff team luvs u

scroll to top