Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Sail to distant shores.

Sunrise Sunny/Clear 67° F
AW
Vanderfell Woods
11-26-2022, 06:31 AM

[Image: valkyrietable-1_1.png]

Whoever takes this bear with me, I have played Valkyrie in the better part of ten years, I'll need to get back into her swing ?

When she came to herself the sun was just starting to peek out over the jagged rocks above her head. They were still, as if holding their breath for her, caught off guard by her return. Where was her return? She couldn't remember much, she remembered embarrassment and anguish. Pain and heartbreak. Madness. Then it was as if she was frozen in time, there was nothing, so much empty space between there and whatever here was. Her empire had fallen, her lover had abandoned, her pets had all gone and disappeared, all that remained was Valkyrie... And her.

She was something different. A war goddess with slithering silver bullets of ice through her skull, she left the queen to watch from behind those eyes of bark helpless as Vigdis destroyed everything... Sometimes. Other times she was just an irritating buzzing in her skull. Mostly she stayed dormant except for the occasional comment or suggestion. Vigdis was a cruel spirit that Valkyrie wished dead. Those lobotomy scars from a failed procedure were proof.

These mountains smelled of earth and sky, stone and snow... They smelled delicious and brought a sharp pain to her brain that she remembered on the coldest of mornings back home... Ahhh home. How long ago home and her family was, were they even alive? How many were left? Did she have any nieces or nephews roaming the lands? How many were sick like her? Giving a heavy sigh the thick northerner stopped and turned her head towards the sky, she noticed that the sun had tainted the surrounding space with blood and bruising, but once more he had won the battle over mother moon and was rising again. Tsking her tongue she rolled ocher eyes from above to scan.

She didn't notice any claw marks on the trees but she could scent markers, she knew she was in packlands by the strong stench of piss and more canines then her frozen brain could count. So many trails ran across her forefront it gave her a headache. Giving a gruff grunt she stopped and just stared, trying to see if she could find any of these wolves that she scented. She waited for a few mental before her muscles started yelling in protest, she was so very tired... Valkyrie, frustrated with her current state decided to wait.

She was once strong and able, she could defeat the strongest warriors, she took down a lynx. She had many victories under her pelt but this? This was not her. She couldn't walk these mountains like she once could, she wasn't sick just so tired... She couldn't remember everything but her body said she'd been walking and searching for eons. She directed her head into the lands she assumed we're the borders and waited.

Eventually another would come along and she could hopefully ask for a place in their lands for a while to regain her strength. God's and goddess above knew she would pull her weight once she was back to her normal self, let's hope these other wolves would see her peak physical condition and take pity on her... Noth that she needed or wanted pity... It just always helped her get what she wanted.

“”

“”

the staff team luvs u
Valkyrie is a 3-3-3 Rated character. I do not condone this woman's actions.
11-28-2022, 11:55 AM

A strange scent that was all too close would not go unnoticed for long, and the anxious worrying about his pups safety led Cupid to the borders, quick to come across the pale stranger who – for a brief moment – he thought was @Satan, until the female-and-loner scent wafted around his maw and nose. He grew evidently more relaxed, gait leisurely as he brought himself forwards; a newcomer, he supposed, though pack news remained in the back of his mind, and he wondered if this was the pale lady littered with scars.

“Hello,” He greeted, polite yet weary as he dipped his head. Cupid just wanted to get her out of the borders, so he took a few steps forwards in an attempt to push her back without necessarily coming into physical contact with him. A low rumble sounded in his chest as he considered calling for an alpha, though he was sure he could handle on his own for now. “State your name and case.” The sire wasn't really sure how these things work, but nonetheless, he'd try his hardest. Anything to get him back up into the ranks after all the pack had provided for him.

“What brings you to Fates Summit?” He wouldn't yet reveal the name of the pack... just in case. You never knew one's true intentions, and Cupid was quick to assume the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset against most people, especially while he was dealing with children. He wondered how the three, @Mars, @Mythic and @Droplet were doing. Perhaps they'd follow him here, though such a thought made the father feel queasy... He just hoped they wouldn't get themselves hurt. Especially Droplet out of the three... she seemed the most... difficult.

the staff team luvs u
12-01-2022, 08:38 PM

as she laid there observing everything around her a gust of wind blew past and it almost seemed to tickle her chin. Letting out a deep chuckle the fallen queen sighed, was this a sign for things to come? This reassuring gust of air that seemed to coax her forward? Puzzled with the signs of the universe she titled her single ear towards what sounded like steps headed towards her direction. At least they hadn't kept her waiting long, she felt like she'd been asleep for years but for some reason she was still exhausted.

Suddenly another appeared, a cinnamon male who was smaller, much smaller, then herself. As he neared he greeted her politely, pleasantries had no merit here and the male hopped right to the point of why she was here on these borders. She was no stranger to piss lines and claw marks in the brittle flesh of pine trees withered with age. Slashes of warning to the outsiders duh deep into their bodies to be there for years to come. The man asked for name, case, and her reason for being on what was called fates summit. So this lovely place had a name? Not just a name but what seemed like a possible answer to cries from instincts of survival.

The broken warrior enjoyed her solitude, but she enjoyed the solitude amongst others. Valkyrie just didn't have the patience for the titterings of others around her constantly. She had to listen to the mutterings and insults of her goddess why would she want more? When the war queen slept, that was the only silence the fallen queen had. She needed to cherish those moments.

Almost as if summoned Vigdis slithered her own titterings into Valkyries brain, trailing her icy fingers along brainwaves that shouldn't be touched. They burned. Valkyrie my dear... You could eat him for breakfast... Aren't you starrvvvvvviiinnngggg[....?/I] Her bloody passenger asked in a coaxing manner, it took everything in Valkyries power not to physically smack her head against the ground, which is what she usually did in these situations, but she didn't want to scare the poor boy before her.

“Good afternoon...” Her gruff voice offered kindly, the massive shield maiden rose to her full height, towering over the other. A kind smile appeared on her scarred face, dipping her head down the thick woman slightly bent her front half to the man, hoping he wouldn't take her stand as intimidation and would accept her bow as respect to the resident of these lands. “I am Valkyrie DeGrave... I come from somewhere distant though I know not where that distant place is anymore...” She pulled herself up as she spoke, her single audit trained to the man in case he decided to interrupt. Cocking her head slightly she continued “I am here somehow... I have nowhere to go and I offer many skills... I don't have to stay long I just... Need to recover... I may be old but I know my way around a battlefield... And I can watch the young once I am trusted...”

She knew how these roles went... She had led packs and been in the higher ranks in others. Strangers were not trusted with the young. They learned that the hard way. Her ocher eyes awaited the response of the other patiently, she had been alive this long, been tormented since birth, time was all she really ever had anymore.

[B][I]Vigdis Slithers.[b][I]
“Valkyrie speaks.”
[I]
“”

@Cupid
the staff team luvs u
12-09-2022, 12:20 PM

“Good afternoon...” Her voice rung, tough yet oddly kind, though the man did wish she'd skip the pleasantries and get right to the point. Her appearance matched up with one that was to be wary with, and he wasn't sure whether age mattered in this case; she didn't seem quite that young, though of course, he meant no offense. “I am Valkyrie DeGrave... I come from somewhere distant though I know not where that distant place is anymore...” Cupid would not interrupt, instead dipping his head to her, motioning for continuation.

“I am here somehow... I have nowhere to go and I offer many skills... I don't have to stay long I just... Need to recover... I may be old but I know my way around a battlefield... And I can watch the young once I am trusted...” “You are keen on joining?” He mused. Whether this was a well-experienced awakener, or the threat that needed to be voided on-site, she – Valkyrie – most certainly seemed like a worthy potential… though that would be up to the High King and Queen. “I will have to call for my leaders, should you request to have an audience with them. Otherwise… I can get a message through? I shall let them know that you are waiting, if that is something that you'd prefer.”

He'd giver that offer as well, though Cupid definitely knew which one he preferred…

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
12-27-2022, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 08:24 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
No need. Her voice carried before she broke the barriers of stone and tree that hid her from view. She hadn't lingered long, only long enough to hear the woman's request, otherwise she too had only just arrived. The woman in question was pale with matching scars to mark her face. Her gaze would linger long enough before looking over the other's physique. Anyone could be attacked, but it took someone skilled to live and tell the tale. Suitable guards paled in comparison to those who wished to follow more passive paths...needless to say, she was intrigued.

And what bring you to Vanderfell amongst the rest? There were plenty of packs that claimed the mountains, some more sturdy than others, but options all the same. Winter meant more wishing for a place to secure some kind of shelter and safety through the bitter months, but it meant more aiding paws should they be useful. Perhaps even loyal paws beyond hard times... We are no free respite. Should you choose to join you become one of us.

the staff team luvs u
12-29-2022, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2022, 02:49 AM by Valkyrie Gabrielle. Edited 2 times in total.)

the smaller male asked her if she wanted to join and offered to call the leaders for her. Before she was able to respond another approached, this female was tall, she was built in a proportionate way that held her position higher. Grays of different shades twisted along her pelt in jagged waves, lines of silver painted through her muscles that lay hidden beneath. Oh my, my queen do you really think you need to lie beneath these mongrels...? Surely you can see even their leader would tremble beneath you... Her darkest passenger clawed, leaving remnants of thoughts burned in searing pain along her brain, couldn't that bitch just leave her alone for five minutes? Just long enough to get a paw in a den entrance so she could live another day.

“Your view for starters... And these mountains are like home...” She trailed off, her eyes almost glittering as she reminisced for a brief ment on thoughts from long ago. “I enjoy the cold and the challenges the mountains bring... I was raised in a northern territory, the secrets and dangers are no stranger to this old ” “Skjold Jomfru...”Valkyrie reassured the larger women, then turned a small smile towards the smaller male. Turning her gaze back to the woman who was the leader she dipped her large head in a respectful greeting, “I would be honored if you allowed me a position somewhere in your ranks...”

She could feel the tempest billion in her skull, her goddess trapped in the magic lamp of her head twisting and turning in a shadowy wisp along her grey matter. Vigdis hated when her vessel would submit, but Valkyrie understood diplomatics and politics, Vigdis was a headstrong wench who would let nothing stand in her way. Valkyrie was just pleased it seemed the venomous bitch listened this time. She turned her single chipped audit towards the pair before her, her tail slack behind her brutish frame, slowly wagging back and fourth in anticipation.

Vigdis Slithers.
“Valkyrie speaks.”
“”
“”

@Ira@Cupid
the staff team luvs u
12-29-2022, 02:51 AM

While he certainly didn't trust this woman, he couldn't decide on whether or not to feel safer, or to feel worse as the High Queen arrived. She could manage herself, he knew that, but this rogue in front of them matched the descriptors of a dangerous individual that had been running around not so long ago. Nonetheless, he stepped back, allowing Ira to take hold of the reigns as he watched her judgement.

Skippable!

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
12-29-2022, 05:23 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 08:24 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
Though she couldn't read Cupid's mind, she understood his wariness. Winter brought new paws, some for the better, some who sought an easy path through harsh months. Fortunately, it seemed this traveler was more accustomed to their way of life than most. A familiar tongue graced the woman's lips that would catch her attention, though she wouldn't show it so plainly. Hvis du er gammel er jeg eldgammel. The words brought a flat snort like the start of a chuckle that never quite saw the light of day before Ira would continue. What is your name, Traveler? Many Norse wolves stuck to the north, but few spoke her tongue directly. Perhaps there was a chance they both came from neighboring packs, but she supposed she could uncover that page another time. She had no reason to turn away a Skjoldjomfru, not when so few were talented enough to hold such a title.

the staff team luvs u
12-31-2022, 04:25 AM

The small man seemed to watch her warily, it was something she was used to honestly, she was battle worn and her frame wasn't something to be ignored. Valkyrie was indeed a force to be reckoned with but she didn't throw her weight around aimlessly, having once been a leader respect was earned. Once upon a time force was her way but she was indeed not a young girl anymore, if she was to fight she was damn well going to make sure that it was one worth putting another scar on her voluptuous curves. The viking warrior turned her attention back to the woman who Valkyrie had come to understand was one of their leaders, she spoke in a tongue they seemed to share and she let out a loud “Hah!” of her own at the greyed one.

“Valkyrie Gabrielle Degrave...” The bearish woman introduce, dipping her head in courtesy. Smiling a bit she swiveled a single ear between the two, turning her head over her shoulder at the nervous cinnamon one who seemed to have grown quiet with what she could only guess was worry. “I'm not going to eat you...” She joked, hoping to help ease his tension. A gust of wind rolled through the trio and she took a deep inhale, the crisp air almost stinging in her nostrils with the deep breath, she missed this, the cold bite of winter and the nip of frost each morning. How the sun shone against the beasts of earth and warmed the pelts of them against the cool winds and tickling of the snows temperature from beneath.

Vigdis Slithers.
“Valkyrie speaks.”
“”
“”

@Ira@Cupid
the staff team luvs u
12-31-2022, 07:31 AM
She claimed a mouthful of a name in comparison to her own given name, but some families were just like that. After all, her birth name was hardly short. The other seemed to laugh at her mild manner joke and even went as far as trying to comfort Cupid who still stood alert. Had she been one of concern, Ira highly doubted she would hold such a guise for so long. She had already bore her face, what reason would she have to wait now when her skill was painted along her pelt. Very well.

Ira gave a final glance toward the young Scorn before addressing Valkyrie further, You may come as a drifter. We will put test to your word. Should you prove valuable, then you will be promoted into the common ranks. Until then, avoid the children unless their parents are present. She may be willing to risk the woman's worth, but she would never risk the life of a child. Even if she did not follow her word, Ira would not be so foolish as to let her gaze wander with new blood present. Cupid, perhaps you should show her our ways.

the staff team luvs u
12-31-2022, 08:54 AM

Valkyrie seemed both keen, and sarcastic while trying to "prove" that she wouldn't eat him, but Cupid couldn't help but continuously feel anxious – which only made him feel like a fucking idiot compared to Ira's calm, collected mannerisms that truly demonstrated who held the power between the two. “You may come as a drifter. We will put test to your word. Should you prove valuable, then you will be promoted into the common ranks. Until then, avoid the children unless their parents are present.”

It was that simple? He blinked, glancing back up to Ira similarly as she glanced down at him. “Cupid, perhaps you should show her our ways.” With a quick nod of his head, Cupid flicked his tail in a summoning motion. He supposed it'd be best to show the Drifter the landmarks closest – though perhaps he was just being paranoid. “Come with me.” The man chuffed, before turning to trot.

fade on cupids end :))

the staff team luvs u
01-09-2023, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2023, 03:56 PM by Valkyrie Gabrielle. Edited 2 times in total.)
She was instructed to avoid the children unless their parents were around which she assumed would be the case, as it usually was, and dipped her in understanding to the rest. Ira instructed her to follow cupid and learn the nearby area and show her the ways of their mountain, smiling Valkyrie wagged her tail in thanks, Thank you... I will do my best to earn my place... She told the leader and turned her head to the smaller cinnamon one, Well Cupid, you lead the way... She smiled again as the pair turned to their own mission, she would do her best to not let her new life fail, but somehow she always did... How would it be this time?
*Valkyrie Fades*

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top