Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
[ ⍋ ] We have the check stubs from separate accounts

AW
Hunter
Content Warning
11-24-2022, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2022, 08:04 AM by Noble. Edited 2 times in total. Edit Reason: am silly and messed up the title )
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Mild Gore
  • Hunting Violence
(lemme just pretend that the last thread didn't exist.... lmao)

He ventured; journeyed, a vagabond shrouded by bright leaves and thick trunks. He blended in nicely, browns and creams and blacks melting into the forested backdrop with destined ease as he grew closer towards the scent of his prey, crouched down as he quietly stalked. Noble came still. All was silent, though his shallow breaths broke the quiet every few seconds; the leaves rustled. It was moving. He encroached further, the smell of the small rabbit filling his nose and making his mouth water.

A few moments passed. A few more. The creature was clueless, so when he jumped, the crunching of the rabbit's neck and spine filled his ears as blood pooled in his mouth. The meal hung limp in his jaws, beady eyes clouded over as the life drained from it's soul; Noble felt terrible, though he was also hungry, so as he dropped the creature, he found himself with two choices: bury the rabbit and starve, or eat the rabbit and remain alive.

He dipped his head . . .

. . .

. . .

. . . and ate.

It tasted good, Noble thought, it would be a waste to kill a creature and not eat it, his mind argued against the fact that he felt purely terrible as the final shudder of the creature rang in his ears. Noble felt like he was going to throw up, but there came the wolf inside of him, the side of Noble that purely sought survival and reproduction, the instinctual beast that kept him alive, even when he felt like he was going mad. Noble sighed, continuing to eat until there was little left but bones.

위의 신들을 찬양하라, He whispered, scooting dirt over the final remnants of the once living, breathing creature. Surely a burial would do his conscious good, no? He hoped so; he hoped the deep-rooted feeling of regret could go by easily, though he felt terribly guilty. 나는이 식사에 대해 그들에게 감사한다.

the staff team luvs u
11-25-2022, 11:13 PM
"Is that a prayer?"

Bran had been checking the areas surrounding the Elk's Crown when he came across a curious sight. A being bent over the lifeless body of prey, uttering words to it. As if apologetic. He stood a ways away from the other wolf, his head tilted somewhat but otherwise neutral. They had not killed an elk, but a rabbit. He was still not sure what he would do if he saw a wolf hunt or kill one of His creatures. Surely, they would be beyond redemption. They saw an elk as prey. Nothing more.

But he saw this wolf utter words over the loss of a smaller life than itself. Interesting. He stood, waiting for a response of some kind. The language was foreign to him in all aspects. Never had been heard before, so Bran could only guess that is what it was. A hymn. A prayer. Some type of sorrow over the loss of the rabbit's life. Thanking it for the meat, the loss of life that gave the wolf an extended one. A few days at most. If the other looked up at him, they'd find his eyes were a bit... curious.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 9499574_uiTsbKbAofAwJY7.png]
STANDING AT THE GATES OF HELL
STILL WANTING MORE MORE MORE
11-25-2022, 11:23 PM

"Is that a prayer?" His head quickly turned upwards, eyes setting upon the figure before him. Noble squinted, standing from the rabbit and remaining firm to the ground. The stranger's head was tilted, their gaze curious at best. He hummed, almost forgetting to speak until he'd part his maw. “Yes,” The man gave a nod, bringing himself towards the stranger after making sure that the rabbit was completely buried via the dirt; from earth it came, to earth it shall return. He felt uncomfortable in the prospect that he hadn't finished his omen.

“In my land, we are taught to be quick with our hunts; we find it to be bad luck if the prey is to give its final breath while we are holding it,” A shudder ran down his spine as he moved, muscles rippling underneath his coat as he made his way towards the stranger. Noble left a comfortable amount of space between them, around a foot or two. He tilted his head. “I assume you do not do the same, or you do not speak my tongue?” It would make sense, the stranger didn't look much like him in the sense of physical build, nor was his appearance familiar from The Herd. He hummed. “I am Noble.”

the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
11-26-2022, 12:15 AM
The young man would proclaim it was a prayer, and Bran nods. He proceeded to go on about his beliefs, his culture, and Bran merely listened at first. "My people were hunters, gatherers, warriors... Even farmers" he wondered if wolves here partook in planting herbs and crops if they had the seeds "we hunted more religiously in the cold months" His head glanced to the rabbit's corpse "those who fought until the end were seen as equals. Warriors, in this life and the next. Given pass into the great halls of the gods of old." Despite his conversion to Elkshire and the High Elk, he still spoke of his original culture easily.

He accepts it exists, but the High Elk was the ruling deity in this world. It was foolish to worship false idols, and absent gods. "Even prey," he acknowledged "I believe in a quick and clean death. Merciful" The Norse folk aside, Bran still had belief in respecting even the tiniest of critters "I merely have an interest in others' cultures, and I have not heard your language spoken despite my long travels. But if you hunt larger prey, you should know the Woodlands is quite close to my pack; we believe it is sickening to hunt elk. Our deity is one. If you would approach one with malicious intent, I cannot speak for your safety if they spy you doing so."

He speaks it as a cautious warning, not ordering the vagabond. Some were more fanatical than others, even in Elkshire. He could only lead those away from the herds, perhaps intervene if the time was right, but otherwise... He was just one wolf here. Alone. He glances back at the man. "I am Godbrand, of Elkshire." Ah, introductions were in order...

the staff team luvs u
11-26-2022, 12:29 AM

Elkshire? He mimics, quinting once more; it was awfully similar to that of his natal pack, where they travelled with the herds to ensure their safety, and in turn they would lead the pack to a comfortable home, until it was time to migrate once more. He hummed curiously, tilting his head. Never would he dream of laying ill-intended claws upon that of an elk any way. “You remind me of the pack in which I hail from, 엘크의 무리, Elks' Herd.” He clicked his tongue idly.

While the sire didn't want to merely go on about himself, he'd gladly provide further information should Godbrand ask for it, though for now, he'd simply ask about the pack. “I'm assuming Elkshire are a home for those who protect the elk?” He guessed thoughtfully, wondering if it would be an appropriate place to find respite in, even if only for a little while. Noble quirked a single brow, different inquiries giving chase in his head; so many questions for a man he barely knew, though he'd settle back and keep his mouth shut for now. Wait, no, scratch that;

“And your deity, you say,” Noble had never believed in one, nor had he found a purpose or reason to, but perhaps this Godbrand man could enlighten him and bestow his wisdom upon the foolish sire. “He is an elk, similarly? Please, do tell me about Him.” Enlighten me.

the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
11-26-2022, 01:41 AM
This one wanted to know more. Bran prepared himself to speak what he knew. "That is correct," he replies "Elkshire has a very deep, rich history and religion associated with the High Elk - our god and His Apostles, mortal elk" However "I have only recently joined, and am learning it myself. I cannot speak for many things, though if you are curious I suspect you can walk to the border and ask for yourself." His eyes peeled over Noble's form, taking in the suitable colors. He would most likely not be attacked "I will tell you what I know about Him and Elkshire."

"Elkshire is the kingdom of the Déorwine family, whose Queen and ruler is Celnes Deorwine" Bran looks past Noble to the southern location "we reside in Elk's Crown, where the ranking is similar to that of a court over a pack. There, we protect the herds and give thanks for His bounties" A nod is given to where he had come from "we do... have a slight color bias" The man admits "some in Elkshire find ebony and ivory hues to be unsuitable. Black is considered less than ideal. White is seen as a sin, as the High Elk has stripped colors from the coats of those needing His personal punishment."

He gestures to his own coat. "Brown is a welcomed and favorable color, as the High Elk is dressed in it Himself obviously" Elks were all brown unless... Well, he didn't know what Elkshire did with other colors in their favored creature "the High Elk is a benevolent deity, from what is told to me. It is not required to pay tribute to Him in Elkshire, or even believe, to join. Though I would be surprised to find those that do not believe among our ranks. But that does not stop His Light from looking down on all of us. Even a white wolf could be redeemed in His eyes, despite their unsuitable coloring in the eyes of Elkshire."

Watching. Waiting. Judging, but not too harshly. Not unless required.

"As much as His Light is vocally spread, He is humble. He does not ask much from us, and allows us to live without taking from us. Again, I do not know everything. Many stories and lore... I am learning about Him, still. I realize it is a lot to take in, ether way" Bran admits "but the High Elk is a kinder deity than some I have learned about. He can forgive."

the staff team luvs u
11-29-2022, 01:44 AM

"That is correct, Elkshire has a very deep, rich history and religion associated with the High Elk - our god and His Apostles, mortal elk. I have only recently joined, and am learning it myself. I cannot speak for many things, though if you are curious I suspect you can walk to the border and ask for yourself." Hm, perhaps this Elkshire pack would be worth the visit, and perhaps they'd be keen to have him based on his past with his natal pack, those who protected the elk were part of his blood, his ancestry, and never would he deem such an ungulate huntable. Deer and moose were commonly disputed, but elk-- they led the way to a new dawn. "I will tell you what I know about Him and Elkshire." “Please do.” He dipped his head.

"Elkshire is the kingdom of the Déorwine family, whose Queen and ruler is Celnes Deorwine." Godbrand gave a look in the direction of which Noble assumed the pack was, and he tilted his head towards it similarly. Surely -- if he just wandered far enough -- he'd stumble across the group eventually. He gave a nod, showing that he understood, before he refocused on the sire in front of him. "--we reside in Elk's Crown, where the ranking is similar to that of a court over a pack. There, we protect the herds and give thanks for His bounties; we do... have a slight color bias." The man quirked a brow. A colour bias? What was that supposed to mean? That if your fur was a certain colour, they would not allow you to join the pack? Noble snorted; such a thing sounded ridiculous.

"...some in Elkshire find ebony and ivory hues to be unsuitable. Black is considered less than ideal. White is seen as a sin, as the High Elk has stripped colors from the coats of those needing His personal punishment." Personal punishment? Such a thing sounded more like a cult than a group, though he'd remain silent, as perhaps this was just a way of . . . population control? He squinted at the idea. What of elk born with pelts of shadow or light? Were they to be killed? Noble wrinkled his nose, now not too keen on whatever these people may stand for. It seemed their morals differed quite significantly. "Brown is a welcomed and favorable color, as the High Elk is dressed in it Himself obviously; the High Elk is a benevolent deity, from what is told to me. It is not required to pay tribute to Him in Elkshire, or even believe, to join. Though I would be surprised to find those that do not believe among our ranks. But that does not stop His Light from looking down on all of us. Even a white wolf could be redeemed in His eyes, despite their unsuitable coloring in the eyes of Elkshire."

Really? He didn't really believe such a thing; would those with pelts of snow and night be smitten, should they come too close to the pack? It seemed . . . well, morally wrong, to say the very least. "As much as His Light is vocally spread, He is humble. He does not ask much from us, and allows us to live without taking from us. Again, I do not know everything. Many stories and lore... I am learning about Him, still. I realize it is a lot to take in, either way--" Godbrand said, as if justifying the horrible things he'd said prior. Noble didn't really think he could stomach living in a pack where they were so quick to cast out certain wolves for their mere genetics. Racism, he thought, was not something to be so easily keen about. "--but the High Elk is a kinder deity than some I have learned about. He can forgive." “You say he can forgive, though he is so keen to cast out those with specific pelts?” Noble wrinkled his nose. “Are children blamed for being born a certain way? Their ideals were wretched.

“I'm sorry,” He begun. “But I don't believe I can find my morals aligning with that of Elkshires; I would hope that racism wasn't so prominent, and a part of your culture, but it seems that it is a fundamental to your beliefs. Do tell me, do you think that those who don't believe in such a deity are . . . what, unworthy of His light?” It was quite clear he was upset now, taking a few steps back as his tail thrashed. No, this was disgusting, and not something he would so eagerly stand for. Noble wanted to believe, truly, and he could try his best to see the good in things, but the fact that they supported such an ideal greatly weighed out the fact that they supported a specific ungulate. “Again, I apologise, and I don't mean to offend you, but I struggle to see how you could think you're in the right for casting out those with a specific coat colour.”

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
11-30-2022, 11:56 PM
"That is you choice; I did not approach you with the intention to recruit anyway" Bran replied honestly "but would it have been better or worse; me leaving out critical information only for you to find out later?" He reasoned logically that it was better to be upfront and honest than sneak around for the sake of pack numbers "but we do not 'cast out' members who appear a certain way" He continued, lifting a soot colored leg "I can tell you bluntly that no one in Elkshre has treated me differently because of my black markings. While they may look suspiciously on them, many do not care these days. I have met no resistance." He lowers said leg, not justifying his words but merely relying them to Noble. It was what he knew to be true, from others mouths and the queen herself.

He did not react in a negative manner to Noble, merely stating what had been repeated to him.

It was not justification but explanation.

Edith, Calhoun and even the queen herself have been kind. "Children are not treated differently, even if they have black or white markings" Bran recalls Calhoun's words "pups are free of sin. We would not turn away a child on our border that needs assistance, just because of their parents' coloring or just because they have less desirable colors" He rather hoped not, else he would leave Elkshire as a result "Those that wish to join that do have unsuitable colors in Elkshire's eyes must prove themselves like any pack. You start from the bottom and work your way up. We have a grey healer, and we have pups with white on them. Racism is against race, however. It is more a selective prejudice, I admit freely, and many do not action upon this prejudice in the pack now."

He shrugs at Noble. If it was truly a cult, he would be forced to convert.

They all would be.

"Religion is taken with a grain of salt already, and core values carry over to leave old traditions behind. We grow from mistakes and learn to accept others. It just takes time" the man replied "the queen not punish anyone who does not believe, follow or have unsuitable colors. I imagine it is different if a wolf who happens to have those colors behaves aggressively toward us, but that happens to any community. They would be treated as a threat, and not as sinful" If a stranger started to piss over their borders, marking it as their own for example, Elkshire would be forced to retaliate "if the High Elk took offense to changes, He would have spoken long before now. That shows He has the capacity to forgive old sins, and look to the future."

As for not believing. "I take no offense to your words. It is much easier to explain in a calm and forward manner, discussing what we do not know or feel uncertain of" However "I personally would not convert anyone who did not wish to be, and I do not care to judge them harshly. Each culture and religion is vastly different. The High Elk is for Elkshire. It does not mean it has to be for you. I have experienced many cultures while traveling, and many beliefs. There is no right or wrong one, but the High Elk governs over this world. That is what Elkshire and myself choose to believe in. I highly doubt the High Elk will strike you down if you do not wish to believe in Him."

the staff team luvs u
12-04-2022, 01:11 AM

Ah, so he was found wrong, if which Noble was surprisingly glad to be. The man wouldn't really enjoy learning of a pack whose morals largely based around the colour of fur and pelt, and to know that he actually didn't was definitely a win in his book. "Children are not treated differently, even if they have black or white markings; pups are free of sin. We would not turn away a child on our border that needs assistance, just because of their parents' coloring or just because they have less desirable colors."

“Ah, I'm sorry for my fast-paced obliviousness,” Noble apologised with a dip of his head. He should've taken a moment to consider . . .

"I take no offense to your words. It is much easier to explain in a calm and forward manner, discussing what we do not know or feel uncertain of," Ah, he was glad that they both shared relatively similar thoughts, as Noble really wasn't too keen on arguing over religion, belief nor mantra for any reason. "I personally would not convert anyone who did not wish to be, and I do not care to judge them harshly. Each culture and religion is vastly different. The High Elk is for Elkshire. It does not mean it has to be for you.'

'I have experienced many cultures while traveling, and many beliefs. There is no right or wrong one, but the High Elk governs over this world. That is what Elkshire and myself choose to believe in. I highly doubt the High Elk will strike you down if you do not wish to believe in Him."

“Well, I'm glad we could properly discuss Elkshire and their high deity. Again, I apologise for being so quick to assume corrupt or harsh morals, and I do hope you don't take any offense, nor believe that I am purposefully trying to be blasphemous towards you or your religion.” Noble gave another quick dip of his head, his tail swaying as he sat back on his haunches; now that this topic was cleared up, perhaps he could ask Godbrand to lead him to where the pack found their respite among the elk and cow and buck. He curiously quirked a brow, clicking his tongue for a half a second before his maw parted once more.

“Do you know whether or not Elkshire is open to taking on new members, at the moment? I'd like to speak with them . . . see if they'd want me around, and see if I can find my place within your ranks.” Perhaps he could earn his keep there.

the staff team luvs u
12-04-2022, 03:51 AM
"There was no offense taken. Do not worry. You are entitled to your opinion." Bran was difficult to become angry in a personal manner. He knew and understood that others believed things differently, and while he could not (and would not) accept needless violence or vile actions, he tried not to take things to heart. A brief surprise flickered across his otherwise deadpan expression when Noble expressed an interest in Elkshire. Oh? Despite the kingdom's color bias, Noble was willing to take a risk... The man could easily find the border and ask. He doubted Elkshire would drive him away for asking.

"You wish to join our ranks," Bran echoed, not a question as the young man already directly expressed this "I am, admittingly, a new member. I would like to think they have the room, but I would not assume this to be true. If you care to, I can escort you to The Elk's Crown. I believe my queen would give you an audience, if nothing else." Or someone else of a higher rank than himself. He recalled his vow to selectively recruit to Prince Calhoun. Had he indirectly done such a thing? Strange to think that honesty and religion went hand in hand sometimes. But his offer stood. Bran would escort Noble to The Elk's Crown if he wanted. All the other decisions were up to the queen and her court.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top