Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
count the headlights on the highway

Late Evening Partly Cloudy
P
Elysium
11-21-2022, 05:42 AM
They had taken their time arriving, but eventually, they all broke free of travel. Going their separate ways, the delegation of Elysium returned to their home. Tallulah stood at the border, wondering how to even explain what she saw to others. Her eyes, softly hooded, squinted against the chill. Her fur blew in the winter-like wind. She felt compelled by the gusts to keep going forward, finding an easier time moving toward the territory than turning around and walking off. 

The weight of her soul was as heavy as her thoughts. She barely started when she heard a voice call out to her. She blinked a few times, shaking free of thought and mind. Pulling herself together. Though her lips curled up happily at the sight of Nick rushing toward her, and Tallulah knew she couldn't force a smile. "Hey," she said, half physically exhausted and half emotionally weary, to him. Not wasting any time, she drew close to the man and proceeded to wrap herself around him. "m' back."

It was so good to see him. She thought... the Trial would be worse. That they'd be forced to fight their way out, among a wave of wolves and other creatures. Tears prickled her eyes at the mind's image of the lightning striking Vendrussel down, right in front of everyone. How it could have been her, if nature had it's way. She'd never come back home again. She'd never see Pa again. Never speak to Valeska. Nor, she found most gut-wrenching, never be held by Nikolai again.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 53568461_UCgDR8zToPO5WLQ.png]
FALLING TOO FAST TO PREPARE FOR THIS
TRIPPING IN THIS WORLD COULD BE DANGEROUS
11-23-2022, 02:00 AM
It'd been about a week of her absence and he missed her entirely; Nikolai knew this business was important, knew her place beside Valeska and the boy's side was not only one necessary for their safety but meant a level of trust had been built that deserved to be regarded, but he also knew he didn't favor anyone here as much as he favored her—Harper's presence was always one he fancied, Mordecai was someone he reasoned he'd like to cross paths with again soon, and the pups... well, the pups were always little joys to interact with. This was less to knock how he regarded each of the aforementioned as it did confirm how much he truly felt toward the wolf he was lucky to call his... in a way—Tallulah was always her own wolf first.

When he passed by the scent of Valeska, he had presumed the excitement of return swept her off to the side of her mate; even when he saw Tallulah moving across the territory border, he thought only well; a court as it was, would Valeska not have brought news of disaster or unjust treatment first and foremost? Would both not be scented of blood, torn into by alien fangs? This hsould've meant things went well.

Yet he knew something was wrong the moment she pressed close to him like an adrift woman clinging to the raft. Nikolai returned the touch, curling around her and licking once over her ears, then once again at her muzzle; his own crafting a smile while his once madly wagging tail slowed. "I missed ya' darlin'," he said, nuzzling her a little where he would then ask of her on a whisper so quiet he knew she could ignore it if she so desired; he wouldn't say a word. "Is everythin' okay?"

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 55739800_bx7XO2QWVdGOdz4.png]
What a lovely way to burn.
11-23-2022, 02:51 AM
"I missed ya too."

She clung to him further, allowing herself to be swept into the depths of his devoted affections. There was no doubt in her mind Nick was right for her, and she didn't need anyone to tell her this either. No prompting or teases by Valeska. Just her own heart telling her. The sight of Vendrussel's struck body flashed in her mind, but she opened her eyes and pulled back. Looking at Nick fully, drinking into his face and features. He asked what was wrong.

"No," She breathed, leaning forward to lick the side of his cheek "I don't wanna talk about that right now" She hoped he understood that much "I just wanna talk bout and be here you" She had been forced into these conversations, how she felt and how she reacted, along the way back. She had talked until she was raw and hollow about the Trial. She didn't want to talk about it again, not yet "it ain't as important as standin' here with you. Right now." 

If he protested, she would reply. "Later, I promise" Tallulah adds, realizing like little Dimitri would come to realize; life was precious. Death... you could do nothing for. "we're all safe. I promise." She would add again, peeling away from him so he could inspect for himself. He must have passed Valeska and her boy, or even seen them. They were all safe and well. Her body lacked injury or harm done to it. Just a bit of shock, mentally.

the staff team luvs u
11-25-2022, 02:19 AM
With utter honesty, Nikolai could not say that he really favored the idea of being left out of the loop especially when it came to Tallulah and this trial, his memory yet to find of the dream she had mentioned; of lightning and the entire uncertainty she had, of the fright it had given her but... he trusted that she would tell him when she needed to—when she was well and able. Maybe it was the exhaustion that worked her the wrong way, all that traveling, or maybe something ill had taken place... the ruling was unfitting... He'd just have to wait, careful not to push.

"Okay," he said to her, voice soft as he brought his muzzle to her forehead, licking over her once, gently before he drew his muzzle down the back of her neck and settled easily on her shoulder blades. "Whatever you want." Nikolai's throat would rumble against her, exhaling long and slow. If there was anything to say for the relationship they were beginning to have together, it was that he wouldn't push and prod if she so asked it of him; wanting for certainty her to know that any wish offered, he would unwaveringly abide. Nor would he question her words, hoping deeply that she trusted him enough to be willing to tell him if anything at all was amiss.

He flicked his tail, lifting his head and stepping back to look at her in the eye. "I found some place real pretty I'd like to take ya',"  he said to her, a little smile tugging at his mouth. "Thought of ya' when I found it, been wantin' to show ya'... It ain't too far from 'ere, if yer feelin' up for a lil' travel—I reckon ya' might like it an' all." Initially, he had intentions of it being a place for a... date, maybe is what he would call it... but it seemed like he could do pretty good at making it a place to distract her mind even temporarily.

the staff team luvs u
11-25-2022, 03:30 AM
"I'm sorry, Nick" She knew he was making a sacrifice here, not wishing to push her or force her to talk. She appreciated it, but she... Did not want to sour seeing him again, associating him with the trial. She tried to put it into words. "I won't keep ya in the dark fer long, I just... have to wrap me head round what to even say. It was too much at once" So she could better tell him without putting much emotion into it. To tell him the whole thing. It wasn't fair for him to be dragged into her personal opinions either; he had to make his own, and she respected his own anyway. But. She could tell him one thing; "But Vendrussel is dead."

She let that sink in. Nick didn't know her to Tallulah's knowledge. He only knew of her. She stiffened, realizing she was just going backward again. Saying one thing but doing the other. "I... I don't wanna associate comin' back to ye with death." She hoped he understood. That she was trying to place politics aside; for him. Always for him. He moved on, but how much would he resist until he broke down and asked her frankly? The piebald woman swallowed thickly, forcing a smile as he spoke. Then it became genuine, the more he talked. "D-Date?" Was such a thing possible so soon after the smell of burnt fur and flesh? She would try. "If it meets yer standards, then aye. I reckon I'd love it."

She nods, giving him permission to lead on.

the staff team luvs u
11-25-2022, 03:56 AM
He reckoned there might've been more proper things to tell her, something reassuring or near that like, but there was only so much he could do when he was left in the dark, expected to be at her side and soothe her without knowing what he was really soothing her from and all. Nikolai sighed. "Not much I can say, eh?" There were too many variables to go into such an outcome; had the court decided her death? Had she asked for it? He didn't know her, he wasn't there; he couldn't be expected to respond much more than that. "m' sorry ya' had to be there."

He shook his head, disliking the tension he felt radiating off her; smile tight. "Weren't gonna say that, naw, just somewheres to go so ya don't gotta think 'bout nothin'," he said, sounding a bit apologetic because it was nothing if not a dog's nature to take the blame always and somehow, no matter for what and no matter for why. Nikolai would shake his fur out then, mentally disregarding the little hideaway in favor of turning and beginning off to where he knew her den settled, he'd bring her another day, maybe. Or one of the pups. Or maybe just himself. "Though with knowin' what I know now, I do reckon ya' don't need no more wanderin' to deal with—c'mon, I'll walk ya' back."

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top