Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
water flicked from sheltered foliage

Late Evening Drizzle/Rain
P
Ecologist
11-18-2022, 10:57 PM
The snow was making an appearance, though had been washed clean earlier in the day. Rain took over, pounding the earth below it. Baelfire had more or less camped out, his den near Rippling Heights vacant this night. He was spending time there, contemplating and gathering herb caches. However, this camping site was improvised and found last minute. Even he could not travel during this rain. It was too heavy and offered hardly any visibility. 

He knew the moon was there, a constant companion of the night sky. But even it was obscured. A dim smear against the darkness. Before he really registered, he spies a soaking-wet figure at the mouth of his residence. The lean-to, more or less a fallen tree struck by lightning, was better than nothing. He could see that the woman was seeking shelter. "Come," he offered, shuffling to the side in the hope to give her space. A respectful space, as he squeezed against the greenish-yellow branches.

"You can rest here..." He ventured carefully "if you want." He knew his word as a stranger, a promise not to hurt her, meant nothing. So he did not give a promise to her, that could fall on cautious ears.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 59631057_gcZT0fbEQJ1yZ2Q.png]
IF YOU CAN'T FIX WHAT'S BROKEN
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
11-18-2022, 11:23 PM
On this evening, the rain had returned once more. Galatea grumbled as she padded along, the water beginning to soak through her fur. As she looked for a place to seek shelter for the time being, something caught her eye.

There was collapsed tree, and in the space underneath there sat a wolf. She was sure that he would've blended in against the darkening landscape if it weren't for the flashes of reddish brown and white on his coat. The other soon noticed Gala and offered for her to come underneath, making some room for her. She was a bit hesitant to accept the offer, but quickly decided that it would probably be better than soaking in the rain for much longer.

"Thank you. Hopefully it isn't too much of a hassle." she said as she crawled underneath the space, giving the male a polite nod of greeting. "I'm Galatea."

the staff team luvs u
[Image: GALA.png?width=1025&height=218]
Ecologist
11-19-2022, 01:29 AM
"It is no trouble" he remarks as she draws near, settling in. Truly, he needed to work on his socializing skills, and what better way than a confined space? Not only did he force himself to remain in the lean-to due to the weather, but she also had that sentiment. It meant he could practice speaking to the woman and she would be somewhat compliant to talk back. Of course, they could get on each other's nerves and either of them could leave... "I am Baelfire."

Did Galatea sound vaguely Latin — or Greek? He was not sure, both languages almost mingled at times. His own was Latin in meaning. It made him squirm inwardly, due to his people not reaching for anything beyond their grasp. Had they conquered a Latin-speaking village, upon a time? Had his parents taken the name, like his people had taken everything from others? He resisted a soft shudder. Instead, he remarks upon the darkened sky and rain. "I should hope the foliage drinks deep from this pouring."

Alas, Baelfire... He always seemed to talk about herbs and plants. With not much interesting to say or go on, he defaulted. The man seemed to realize this, and proverbially scratched a cheek. "I mean, the frost will make them wither eventually... But those last clinging to life could enjoy this gift."

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Ecologist
11-20-2022, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2022, 11:39 PM by Galatea. Edited 1 time in total.)
Galatea settled into her spot, thankful to finally be in a dry spot. Sure, it wasn't a nice, roomy cave, but it would suffice for now.

"It's nice to meet you." she responded with a smile. She had never heard of a name quite like his. Being this close, she could get a closer look at Baelfire. He had sort of a tough look to him, right scars on the right side of his face. He seemed like someone with a lot more experience than her when it came to life.

The male's attention began drifting off to the rain, making comments about the foliage. This put her more at ease. So, he had an interest in plants, did he? Maybe the two of them did have something in common.

"Yeah, true." she started with a sigh. "It'll be a bit sad to say goodbye to the plants for a while, once winter comes around."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-21-2022, 12:56 AM
"Likewise" Though time would tell if it truly was a good meet. So far, so good. He took it one step at a time. She seemed a reasonable sort of woman, so he had no qualms about sharing the space. She respected his, and he respected her own. An ear was piqued when Galatea remarked back about plants. Huh. He knew others existed but always found himself the odd healer out. Dragonford had been no different, with himself being the lone medic. "some claim the cold fortifies the roots of a plant, making it stronger for spring. A strong stock means it will survive almost being trampled at times."

He looked across the rainy grounds. "Though I often dig the roots out too; most have their own medicinal properties, separate from the flower or herb." Alas, he had found very few decent roots or bulbs that kept for long periods. Galatea displayed an interest that Baelfire had long felt prudent in his survival. He wasn't about to stop talking once he got going. Poor girl. She'd have to listen to his words or risk the pouring rain. However, his mind worked faster than his voice. He eventually fell silent, not expecting the other wolf to contribute. Not really, outside of a few comments. She would display her knowledge if possible.

But he wasn't going to push it.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Ecologist
11-21-2022, 03:26 AM
Gala eagerly listened to Baelfire's words, finding herself impressed by his display of knowledge. "Oh, really? How  interesting." she replied. "I knew herbs were used for healing purposes but I wasn't aware the roots could be as well."

Those tidbits of information were almost eye-opening to the woman. She knew a decent amount regarding flora and how to differentiate them, but other than that she was mostly clueless. She began to realize that maybe she was a complete amateur compared to him.

"You seem to know quite a bit about it. Are you a medic?" she asked with a tilt of her head.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-21-2022, 03:47 AM
She was further intrigued, remarking she didn't know about roots having a part to play in some medicine as well. He nodded at her question. "Yes, I like to think I am" he replied to her "though I seem to be regaining some medical knowledge slowly back — I lost some experience when I came to this world. I've heard some even lose part of or their entire memories." He leans back from his rather hunched position, skull tickling the top of the lean-to.

Sometimes I wish I had lost mine.

He left that unsaid. Galatea didn't have to know; placing his burdens on another was not something he cared to do. "I suppose I am lucky in that regard, still having most of my experience and memories of my skills" He remarked, shrugging "and of you? Do you practice the art of healing?" Or was she learning? How many here lacked a suitable teacher in the medical field? He rather wished to teach. New Caledonia had been left before he could establish himself as a tutor. Other worlds...

He hadn't stuck around for long. But this realm was different. There was no way out of it. The rain seemed to be letting up just a smudge. The rhythmic pattern of drops hitting the solid ground was lessening. Though it didn't make him in a hurry to leave so soon. It was rare he enjoyed company.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Ecologist
11-26-2022, 03:50 AM
Gala nodded in understanding. "I see.." This certainly wasn't the first time she'd met someone that was once in a similar situation. She was one of the "lucky" ones that ended up retaining all of her memories from her past life.

Though, sometimes she wonders whether it's a blessing or a curse for her. There were some painful memories that may continue to stick to her, maybe even in her next lives.

In response to the male's question, Gala shook her head. "Not at all. I can identify some plants, but I know very little about their healing properties." She looked down at her damp paws. The woman was almost envious of Baelfire. Unlike him, she didn't have much useful skills, even in her past life. "I'm not sure if I'd be good at such a thing."

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
11-26-2022, 05:29 PM
"What do you feel you'd be good at then?" Baelfire asked, inclining his head to her in order to listen "I admit some communities place value on skill sets, like any other I've been part of" He shrugs "it does not matter much if you are a vagabond. Take this time to practice many, over just one. See what fits you best. Skills are a lifelong journey, and it does not stop at mastering them." That... was his humble opinion anyway. He did not wish for Galatea to be so hard on herself. She seemed interested in plants, and perhaps that was a start in the right direction for her.

However, he huffs a bit. "Though I did not consider you may wish to remain a vagabond" His words were wondering and a bit embarrassed, as if an 'ah-ha' moment had been had. Many wolves chose to remain loners. He had for a long time, but after being in different communities... Baelfire had an idea of what he wanted for once, not just what he could adjust to "some vagabonds worry they aren't good enough for pack life, that is all I meant" He lowered his head, sheepish "but my pseudo-advice remains. You are still young. Take this time to practice instead of pursue. Something will click."

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
11-26-2022, 10:10 PM
"I'm not sure." she began. "Aside from knowing about flora and fauna, I've traveled around quite often. I know my way around certain places well." Galatea hummed, deep in thought. What would she be good at, and what exactly did she want to do? "I mostly just want to put my knowledge to use and help others in any way I can."

She knew that Baelfire was right. There wouldn't be any way to know if she was actually good at something unless she actually tried and kept practicing. After all, there had to be skills that didn't involve strength or medical knowledge, if that wasn't her thing.

The woman let out a gentle chuff. "You're right. The one thing that stopped me was the fear of slowing others down. That, and I don't like to fight."

The life of a loner could be freeing at times, but there were times where she craved companionship. A place where she would be safe and free of judgement. Her warm brown gaze trailed up towards the sky. The rain had started to die down to a gentle shower. 

She looked over at Baelfire with gratitude in her gentle expression. "Thank you for the advice. I'll make sure to take it to heart." 

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
11-26-2022, 10:49 PM
Ah, so she could both wander and look at plants. It was what he had done before settling in New Caledonia. "Everyone learns at their own pace," Bae rumbled sympathetically "as long as you obtain a student that understands that, I suspect they would be grateful for the lessons you give." A teacher and a student were not so easily matched. It took time to find the right teacher for you, as well as the right student. He hummed a thought, mostly to himself. That he had no formal student anymore, not now that Ghost remained in the Ford. It would be good to have one again. Keeps him busy.

"I took a vow of pacifism myself, long ago" he adds "the only time I raise a paw is in defense, of myself and others. Though I admit I use sparring as a means to exercise and calm myself down. Fighting is not just about winning, dominating, or how many wounds you inflict. It can be good to build up stamina and endurance" Galatea thanks him, and he notices the rain had begun to slow its pace. He glanced at the sky, wondering if now was a good time to continue on "it is also good to experience physical or emotional pain so you can empathize with your patient." But that was just his way of doing such a thing.

"I hope to teach here, and put down roots eventually" he commented, though it was not a direct recruitment but a conversation. He did empathize with slowing anyone else down around him and sought to practice on his own merit at times. Communities were often physically skilled. Hunters, fighters... He did not want that for his 'dream' "perhaps next you see me, I will have a pack of my own. I have been thinking about creating one. A less exerting community, one that houses the mind over the body." Alas, so many wolves thought about starting packs. All had their reasons, of course.

He always saw it as a grab for power over others.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
12-29-2022, 01:48 AM
Gala listened intently as Baelfire talked, not really having much to add. She found it very eye-opening. She was a quite caring and empathetic person, and she didn't doubt that having such varied experiences in life would make it easier to help others in need.

The girl perked up upon hearing that the man was planning on starting a pack. A less exerting community, huh? That honestly didn't sound too bad to her. "I hope things go well for you. Maybe we could talk more about it the next time we meet." She wasn't yet sure if she'd want to join, but maybe she'd consider it. She'd probably have plenty of time to think.

Gala looked out towards the sky. The rain had begun to die down quicker than she expected. Though, time does tend to pass faster when you converse with others.

She looks over to Baelfire with a gentle smile. "It was nice talking with you. I feel like I've learned so many new things."

the staff team luvs u
12-29-2022, 10:51 PM
"I would enjoy that."

Their time was at an end, and already Baelfire would miss the company. She mentioned she had already learned things, which sparked an idea in his mind. If he could teach others, then there was hope for a cemented idea. 

"Farewell and safe travels, Galatea. It was pleasant to speak with you too." However, he would not press or chase after her. Bae knew better than to force others under his thumb. He remained where he was, content to watch her off.

Yes, he thought. It was sad to part from a good company.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
scroll to top