Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
For my mind to run around, with my ear up to the ground,

Midnight Overcast
AW
Adventurer
11-18-2022, 04:16 AM
After some time sitting and contemplating, there was a groan of frustration as she threw her head back and moved forward. None of it really made sense to her, but she also knew how The Ancients had their.. Whimsical ways. Was it something by them? She hadn't read any signs of the immortal dragons on deciding to place her so — but at the very least she wasn't too torn up about leaving her homeland. A part of her missed the family and kin, as well a the friends and otherwise, but she knew she couldn't dwell on it too long.

To be on the coast and end up completely somewhere elsewhere ; could she even find her way back? Her tail flickered and an ear swirled as she thought in a mild irritation before deciding to give up on trying to think of what made sense. There was a sigh as she slowly made her way to a water bank.. Looking around she could note this was a distinct plains, but the temperature did not indicate the winter north that she was used to. The storms had long been gone and her pelt was now dry after hours of sitting and contemplating what to do next — but goddamn, was she parched.

A lake stood wide in the area, she could see elk within the distance taking their own quench of the water. Fresh water indicated that this lake was no where near the sea, surely.. She bent down and gently lapped up her own amount to stave off this thirst.

the staff team luvs u
11-18-2022, 04:47 AM
There's something in the water.

Or rather, someone.

Then the body washes ashore. There's Cobalt, alive, but not really moving. His foot twitches. He stares at Veodonus as he washes ashore, water splashing over him.

"Fish pee in there, you know."

Like he wasn't just in the water.
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-18-2022, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 04:52 AM by Veodonus. Edited 1 time in total.)
Veodonus wasn't sure what she was expecting within this region. Everything seemed rather silent, the darkness that held firm and the slow movement of the clouds above.. The elk who disappeared in the back-drop once they realized the presence of a predator nearby. After some time of lapping up a great amount of water, she raised her head to see the continual pool of water before her ; a lake that stretched out for miles, and she could see a section where a river was descending. If she followed it, would it lead to the sea?

Then someone approached, a slow turn of the head that almost made her hackles raise ; but they were scentless. Were loners here tame? Were they ruthless? There was so many unknown variables, that the dragoness was definitely not expecting those words. She obviously so, couldn't help burst out laughing at the actual ridiculousness of that statement. He came out like a fish as well.

"Oh man, you got me," she snorted, "you from around here?"

It didn't dawn on her yet concerning language-matters.

the staff team luvs u
11-18-2022, 04:55 AM
At least she's laughing and not hostile. He likes that. That this person isn't going to treat him poorly, like so many do. He almost doesn't want to argue, because arguing is the least of his worries right now.

"I live here, if that's what you're asking," he says. "This is where everyone wants to kill me. I am a Rightful Bastard and I am Alive Out Of Spite." That is the term. To remember the damage done. To remember the way his smile cracks the wrong way sometimes.

"But I was a princess once. Then the Bad Happened. Then the sky opened up and I woke up here. Now I'm just a stupid boy lying in fish pee. Maybe I'll be something good in a bit."
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-18-2022, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 05:24 AM by Veodonus. Edited 1 time in total.)
As they spoke it dawned upon her she didn't even think of the languages that came. Where she was from it was a mixture of Russian and Norwegian, although her mother-tongue was vastly different. Veodonus though knew by heart no one would know that language unless they came from the Clans, but on the other hand she only knew Korean due to some neighbors down by the far south ; the founder, made sure that they should know their neighbors tongue. A universal one.. A common one — English, in particular.. They spoke of so without an accent. Was that the dominant tone here?

For a moment she pondered as the other delved into life itself and their woes, "well I suppose you got to show them, right?" she chuckled lightly at their statement. A spirit to have out of spite — that was the way to live after all, be above to those who look down upon you. She didn't know this wolf well, but there was a light spirit to them that she enjoyed.

"This might sound crazy, but I also found myself here.." Veodonus looked around again. There was only them, the stranger in black and white within these vast plains. Flat as the land itself, there was the occasional rolling hills but as she squinted from afar to the west, vaguely the dragoness could make out mountains, far, far away. Though when she looked to the other end, there was a somewhat building standing far away. The absence of trees and forests were clear as day — it was a bit unusual for a wolf used to them.

"Is this common?" but what was most troubling besides the land, was the factor she was not alone. In another time the northern wolf would think they were spouting nonsense and something went wrong, but.. But she too found herself here with nothing else. Veodonus's was less dramatic though as she had a troubled expression — she didn't remember.

the staff team luvs u
11-18-2022, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 05:08 AM by Cobalt.)
"Shit, dude, I dunno if it's common. Most people just tell me to go fuck myself." Cobalt rolls over. "But it happened to me. It happened to you. Two's a crowd. And it's also a coinkydink." He splashes his paws in the shallow, as if contemplating reality. "Well, you're nice, so maybe I'll ask someone else for you sometime."

He's not going to offer to dig too deep, though. Getting close to others means the brain weasels come out, and is that why everyone hates him? Poor little Cobalt? Poor little baby who's never done anything wrong?

Maybe splishy splashied a bit of water. He likes to do that. He's doing it now. He bobs back and forth with an invisible rhythm. "What if we wake up and we're somewhere else again, though? Wouldn't that be batshit?"
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-18-2022, 05:13 AM
They were unaware as well.. That was troublesome, but Veodonus thought it was far too much of a coincidence for two wolves, and by no means was just someone who was desiring to mess with completely separate lives. They smelled nothing like the region she knew or anything familiar, neither the coat they held seemed something she knew off — a complete stranger, through and through, but also wounded up within this land? They knew how, she did not, but the question remained was why

In the distance she could hear the sound of thunder crackling again. The remember of her appearance upon the scorched earth, almost as if she arrived by thunder. Her golden gaze turned to the drifting of the clouds far away, they were not coming near, but she could see them heading to the east. The sounds of rustling was within the distance, there was more fauna that was attempting to drink the nearby stream but was startled by the thunder. Her nose twitched as the smell of rabbits were upon the wind ; a good sign, she thought, that the land was fruitful.

"That would be," she agreed with a nod, a sigh that came with a light smile, "troublesome to say the least though. It's hard to say what one should do now."

the staff team luvs u
11-18-2022, 05:22 AM
Cobalt ponders this last question for a while, splashing in the water.

"Think you should probably do whatever keeps you going," he says after a moment, something too profound to come from his lips. But does not the gutter stare at the stars? "Just hope you don't wake up somewhere claimed. Worst mistake of my life. Fucking hate people. Not you, though. You're nice."
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-18-2022, 05:30 AM
It was honest answer, whatever kept her going. But she wasn't sure what that was in truth, even within the motherland there was only the thought to stay with kin and the like, but it was true that the call of adventure was voicing to her soul. Her tail waved lightly in the back, in the mere thought of.. What if that wish was what had come true? And casted her here? She did not wish to think something so measly would rack her from the very place she once knew — but any other answer was also strange to digest. The immortal dragons surely had something to do with it, she knew, she wanted to believe it on their whims and that something was planned. Everything, had a reason.. Doesn't it?

"That's true," her gaze shifted to the side. It could be worse, she could have woken up in a pack land, but instead was utterly alone, "you are nice. I hope I will see you again, alright? There is more I need to do." With a more resolve, Veodonus got up from her position, and gave the lightest of chuffs farewell. Her gaze turned to the river ahead, where she could see it stretching below the land and somewhere to the south ; the smell of the river continued on and the faintest of rain and winter on the wind. Nothing more, besides plains — nothing that indicated the sea or other more rogues itself. It was a large river that stretched for miles, the dragoness observed.

She would follow it, and hopefully find someone else who could possibly explain what was going on.

the staff team luvs u
11-18-2022, 05:32 AM
"Well, I'll be around," he says as she heads off. "Just look for me in the water, okay? It's safer here." And with that, he bubbles back into the deep.

He hopes she finds what she's looking for. Maybe it'll be something cool. Or maybe it'll be shit, and he'll have to remake it. With blackjack. And hookers.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top