Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
snow princess

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
P
Shiroshika
Adventurer
11-03-2022, 07:44 PM
Outside of Quicksilver, Antares, and a select few others... She hadn't met many of the Shiroshika wolves. While Edelweiss was somewhat standoffish and quiet, she wanted to at least know the names of the others. Giving their nameless bodies a face was critical if she was to survive here and among them. She left Kalvin at the shared den, allowing him to do whatever he wanted - if he remained in Tsukiishi - and wandered. He would be fine for a few hours.

Not the border today. Not within the territory's depths to hunt.

No, she searched for more Shiroshika wolves. Spotting a very pale frame against the earth, moving as if one with the ivory cold, there was a young lady. Edelweiss approached her. "Hello," she began, attempting to be friendly. Here was a woman around her own new age - having just turned an adult - and a potential... friend. If it all went well, that is. "my name is Edelweiss. I have just been accepted into Shiroshika." A flickering feeling of doubt...

Why was she so nervous approaching females? She had no problem with Quicksilver or Antares. Her head dipped somewhat, trying not to stare too much.

the staff team luvs u
FATE IS ARMED WITH ARROWS
AND SHE WATCHES THE BATTLEFIELD
Ecologist
Formation
11-04-2022, 09:28 AM
Even with the lingering tension, Hotaru was relieved to return to the mountains they once called home. She yearned for many things, but the spires here had grown to be a comfort that bade the bad farewell. Mostly, anyhow. The princess had intended to spend the day contributing to the reclamation efforts, but somewhere along her tracks she grew distracted. She stood on her path with her head tilted toward the covered skies, a mild look of awe as rays of light broke through the cloud barrier and shone to the mountain home below.

A voice was all it took to startle her awareness back to her surroundings as wide eyes landed on a set of blue. Oh— Hotaru's thoughts rushed as she tried to gather the lost words that had been neatly placed before her to make something of the other's introduction. She was new, that much she could gather even without her explanation. There were few girls her age in Shiroshika save for @Sachiko and that fact was written plainly on her face as she noticed her maw hanging slightly before she shut it. 

Ah— Sorry, you startled me. Edelweiss, correct? The name was foreign, but it sounded pretty all the same. However, she refrained herself from voicing the thought as it was shoved from her head with a light, embarrassed flush. Princess Hotaru, although the title really isn't necessary. It felt weird to have her call her such when only adults had used her rank. Sachi sometimes did, but that felt different, and it was never in direct conversation when she did. Who did you meet for your acceptance into Shiroshika? It was an innocent question, simply because word had not passed her ears yet.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-04-2022, 05:49 PM
She nodded at the other's pronunciation. But. "I am sorry" she began again, shifting a bit in her standing "I did not mean to startle you." Being nice is how one made friends, correct? Or just familiar company in a pack? She did not know how these communities worked very well. An ear flicked at the 'princess' part, but she seemed to be like Quicksilver. Not wishing formal titles attached to their names. A strange thing, but acceptable. Who said which blood was royal? Who made it official?

"Quicksilver accepted me, and my young ward, Kalvin" Edelweiss explained "though I hear he is out currently" Rumors and gossip did spread, in hushed whispers that needn't be. She moved on from that quickly enough, not wishing to dwell on the man's location. She didn't know he went to a trial, after all. Just that he had been absent for a few days; his scent was faint now from Tsukiishi. It wasn't her business anyway "I've just begun making rounds, introducing myself... We took some time to settle in."

The trek from the Moors to the mountains had been a bit much — especially since she did it a total of four times. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back... and forth. "I did not interrupt you, did I?" Edelweiss would ask after some silence, frowning at the princess.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-05-2022, 08:16 PM
The pale woman shook her head in an attempt to refuse her apology, No, no, it was my own fault. I fear I lose myself in the sky or my thoughts too often. The latter more so over the years. Her head was becoming a prison and ever since she realized she held the key, the thought scared her. For now, she'd ignore that and focus on the here and now, even if Quicksilver's name soured her mood. Fortunately, Edelweiss provided a new detail for her to focus on. A ward? You have a child? She seemed so young, and yet she showed no signs of giving birth. Perhaps it was not too surprising...she was pretty. Surely it was no trouble to find a mate.

There's no shame in taking your time. Change can be...difficult. She knew better than most, We all have only recently resettled as well. I'm sure no one will take offense to your seclusion. They were fortunate enough to have kind wolves remaining, even if it raised the question of their strength. There were few samurai in Shiroshika, but ever since they dealt with Kuhn it seemed more and more were willing to learn the means to defend everyone. Um— but, no, you did not. I was merely admiring the sky.

As the words met her lips, she'd return her gaze to the dense clouds above. We were forced to leave the tundra for some time. The sky is different here, as are the sunsets. I find the clouds to be more dense than warmer regions. They can darken the sky, but act as a canvas to the light once the sun reaches the horizon. Tonight should make for a pleasant view.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-06-2022, 01:43 AM
While glad to have not startled Hotaru, the snow woman would remark with some surprise about her 'having a child'. A snort of amusement drifted from her nose and she shook her head. "I did not birth him" she explained to the princess "I saved him from a snow leopard in the Moors" Hence, Kalvin was her ward. Not her son "I joined Shiroshika to protect him. I couldn't do it alone" As loathed as she was to admit that "he'll find a better life as a pack wolf until he's old enough to make his own decisions." She shrugged.

The news of resettlement was not as surprising, considering Shiroshika's weaker border scent but she barely heard about why they moved. Edelweiss felt it was rude to directly ask, even with her direct personality. Hotaru would go on, offering nothing herself but some vague hints. The young woman found she liked to listen to the princess' description of the location. She huffed again, closing her eyes with a tiny smile. "It sounds lovely when you say it," she admitted "I just look up to see what type of weather I'll have when hunting." Snow, rain. Cloud, clear. Night or day.

Yes, Hotaru had a nice way of explaining it.

"Do you miss where you were before?" Edelweiss asked "I woke in the Tundra, but I am used to dense woodlands back..." Did her land have a name? "well, before here" She moved on "I was the only wolf with a light coat. My sisters were all dressed in brunettes to mask their presence in these woods. While they claimed our goddess blessed me, I always stuck out like a sore thumb. I think I like the Tundra more than other places."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-06-2022, 08:40 PM
Already she felt her cheeks flush from embarrassment as she swiftly realized her mistake. It was not that absurd to adopt or shelter young. Her mother had done it plenty of times, even if they all wandered off eventually. She had never heard of a snow leopard, but it sounded like just another threat to be wary of with their return home. Wow... She had never seen anyone fight off anything alone before. All the fights she witnessed or partook in involved at least one other wolf, usually more. You must be strong— Not that you don't look strong, of course, ah...although, I must admit I do not think I've seen a snow leopard. Maybe it's not as impressive a feat as I'm making it out to be.

Her words made her wonder though...if she had joined to have more aid for the boy, then what of her? Did she not plan to stay in the long run? It was a mildly disappointing thought given the lack of wolves her age, but she supposed she was no longer a child. More wolves would join, and she would only get older. Eventually, she would find more wolves she felt comfortable spending time with, like Sachiko. Edelweiss closed her eyes to smile, and the action only furthered the flush in her cheeks as she stared back at the clouds. Have you ever watched the late sun? Even if you are not fond of sky watching, there's that magical minute at the end or start of a day.

They never lasted long. You could blink and miss the colors, but for a whole minute you could sit and stare and wonder how the world painted the sky with such vibrant colors. I like when there are clouds at that time. I feel they amplify the setting colors and paint pictures for the lucky watchers. You can't recreate it and once it's gone it's gone. A shame really, but it kept the moment magical. They were really only something that could be explained by seeing it for yourself. Sitting on the thought, her smile would falter as she weighed her companion's question. I do.

Just like a sunset, her home was lost to time, and with it, it's beauty. She had never seen a vale quite like it, buried between the mountain peaks. A place almost perpetually seasonal amongst a rather winter laden summit. It sounded fake, but it had been real, and now only she, her mother, and Haruki would remember it. I know what you mean. Before they had settled here, she was forced to wander aimlessly in hopes of finding her family. She was luckier than most maybe since they would eventually reunite. I awoke in endless sand. By day, I was struck by a heat I did not know existed and by night it cooled nearly to the temperatures here, but no matter the time I was able to be spotted by others for miles. I feared I'd never see the end.

the staff team luvs u
11-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Quicksilver had been the same. Too polite to directly ask if she was going to stick around. Hotaru could have the same thought, albeit briefly, before moving on. She didn't voice it. It was probably on the mind when Edelweiss spoke of it, and it was a perfectly normal question to ask. "T-To be fair" she began again "some other wolf tried to fight it first... It was possibly tired from that bout" Her cheeks turned a slightly pinkish tint, unused to being complimented "though he didn't make it" Her deadpan expression broke to scowl somewhat "he tried to make off with a pup and got caught."

The fight hadn't been very intense, despite the wolf thief's death. Her own scratches had thankfully healed by the time they reached Shiroshika. "I've watched the sun in anticipation for the night" she added truthfully "I tend to stick out in other locations and wait for night to fall before moving. I've seen what you speak of, though" She gave a smile "though I've not really considered it anything but nature's cycle" She shook her head "I'll try to appreciate it next time. The Tundra cloaks me better so I've no impatience now." Hotaru kept speaking, so she didn't have a chance to do anything but comment.

It was always nice when someone took the mantle up, however.

"Ah, the desert..." She had seen a sandy landscape in the far distance when she was near the Plains. Edelweiss assumed it was a great, big and fat never to trend for herself. She frowned thoughtfully "I'm in no hurry to see that place" She confessed "I like it here" She looked around them before focusing on pretty Hotaru's face again "Kalvin will not be grown for some time. Perhaps I can grow to like being in this community too... I... never have been in a pack. At all. It's all very new. Shiroshika has been kind though. I am grateful I came here."

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
11-08-2022, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2022, 08:10 AM by Hotaru. Edited 1 time in total.)
Edelweiss was quick to shirk her praise, but it stood all the same, Even so, I imagine it must have been scary facing such a thing alone. Wounded or not, if it was a predator it could be ferocious. She still had no scale of the size of the beast, but she remembered the many times she stood before Kuhn. That man was larger than any wolf and likely three times as heavy. It was a wonder he hadn’t killed more of them, but that was not to say there were wolves of Shiroshika or Vanderfell who did not pay the price.

Good. There was something darker to her tone in the response. She would be subtle, but would not prevent her jaw from tightening at the news. Maybe it was different in the eyes of a predator larger than she, but she could not fathom how anyone saw it right to harm a child. Perhaps it was hypocritical of a wolf who would hunt coyotes or foxes for their theft and threats, caring little for what young they might have. Some even went as far as finishing the young’s life without a second thought for the threat they might one day bring…but it was wrong all the same. Never had she agreed with her mother for taking in tiger cubs time and time again, but she understood the atrocity of leaving something to die alone…

Hotaru found it hard to believe anyone could pass the setting sun and pay it no mind. It was clear her and Edelweiss were from two very different worlds. A part of her felt she might understand…even surrounded by others she often felt alone. There were few wolves her age growing up and after her brother disappeared she had all but closed herself off from the world. Angry. Distraught. Betrayed…or so she believed. The reality was that she had done it to herself. No one had locked her in that dark room when she had the only key. That was easy to forget when you’ve lost track of the light.

She’d smile genuinely, something that had only recently come back to her as she spoke truthfully, I hope you enjoy it. The desert on the other hand…so that had been its name. Even her mother was unsure what to make of it when she explained what she saw. Thankfully the sandy reaches were far from here and she had no reason to ever go back. It was hard to say things would be better here, for her or Edelweiss, but it was a start. We are by no means perfect, but I can only hope Shiroshika has more to offer you. Hotaru still would not comment on it, but her heart would flutter at the open possibility that she might stay. At the very least it seemed she would not be leaving any time soon.

the staff team luvs u
11-08-2022, 01:28 AM
"Y-You are too kind..." Edelweiss stumbled almost, catching herself. She never really thought about being brave or strong enough to take a leopard on — let alone anything else. She reacted on instinct alone. It could have ended very badly for her, but Kalvin and herself were safe. That was really all that mattered to her in the end. "I think I was running on adrenaline... I did not even notice." She shifted her weight a bit, embarrassed by the praise.

But she remarked that it was good the thief had been punished. Edelweiss nodded, refusing to speak of her failure to find the boy's mother. That her drive hadn't been enough. In the end, the new mother passed. Alone. Scared. She could not even begin to think how the woman had felt in her final moments. Not even knowing where her child was... "I hope so too" she broke from her stupor, starting a bit as she made her way back to Hotaru's voice "though if I have a problem, I hopefully could come to you." 

Princess, a future leader potentially of the pack. Edelweiss assumed Hotaru had a lot on her plate as is, never mind adding to it. She fumbled again, realizing she probably sounded selfish. "N-Not that you are required to, of course, deal with it" she added, averting her eyes "you must have many duties... I just thought it'd be nice to talk again." And she shut up with that embarrassing admission being said.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
11-10-2022, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2022, 08:08 AM by Hotaru. Edited 1 time in total.)
Once more the woman stuttered over her praise and Hotaru found herself chuckling lightly under her breath. It was...refreshing to have a conversation so light. It felt natural and warmed her breast as a smile lingered on her lips. I fear you will have to adjust to our people then. Shiroshika has always been kind, for the most part at least. We try to live a simple life, even if we are all now aware that we must be diligent as well. Her gaze fell to her paws as her thoughts wandered once more to the past hardships they had collectively faced. It was hard to count all the events they had faced in the span of a year, but here they stood, alive and well, all things considered. They had come out stronger and they would only continue to get stronger.

I think I know the feeling. She had felt it before in the face of Kuhn. Admittedly, she had passed out once after a rather stressful encounter, but there was no reason to mention that. It was more embarrassing than anything, and more than one had been there to witness her fall. Thankfully, Sachiko had come to her aid and not once had she bothered to leave her side. Maybe it was not even adrenaline that fueled her then, but anger. She had become rather angry over the years with each injustice that was served before her, but it was hard not to be when it felt undeserved.

Her fading smile would quickly replenish, more diplomatic than friendly at indirect inquiry, as her lavender gaze fitted to Edelweiss once more. The embarrassment that quickly spread across her features only warmed her further as she thought back on past encounters. In many ways, Edelweiss reminded her of herself, which was both charming and embarrassing. She, too, stumbled over her words often or found herself flustered which often brought a wave of shame and embarrassment over her composure, but there was something...cute about it too. Maybe it was just her and not the act, but it felt ill fitting to someone who seemed so Stoic.

Chuckling again, she would try to ease the other woman's worry, No— No, it's quite alright. Technically, it would be my duty and in my best interest to assist you in any way possible. That being said, I would like that— to speak again, that is. It would be better for everyone if she had no problems to bring to her, but she would not refuse her presence without a reason. She had been alone for so long, and it was nice to...open up. If...you wish, perhaps some time I can show you the best locations to watch the sky. There are many secluded spots to get away when you need a breath of fresh air.

the staff team luvs u
11-10-2022, 09:57 PM
Edelweiss frowned softly. "There will always, unfortunately, be those incapable of coexisting" the young woman began, a gentle but decisive huff of disgust escaping her lips "and even those that purposefully seek out places, ideals, people... to taint. I do not know what happened in the past, which caused the pack to move. It is... none of my business. I was not there for it." She lowered her head, half wishing she had been there if only that she could speak freely of it now. Or just do something about it on her own terms? The desire to even protect the pack was there, which surprised her. But she was aware it really was none of her business, and it could be placed in the past. Especially if the wolves here didn't want to talk about it.

She would not pry.

But. "I am sorry Shiroshika had to learn a brutal and difficult lesson. I hope no one was seriously harmed in the process" It was at least truthful, for her stoic and standoffish behavior. Edelweiss did not want to see others harmed needlessly. If there was a mutual dislike that came to blows, she could understand that. But only too well did she recognize that there existed people that wanted to do more harm than good. Even without a good reason. It vexed her a lot. "it is better to be diligent so that it won't happen again in the future." Hotaru seemed a bit sad that they had to be like this now. The others in the pack also seemed to echo the sentiment. With the emotional part aside, Hotaru moved on. Edelweiss was thankful for that.

She felt she'd be angry and pissed off if she knew what exactly happened. It'd sour meeting the princess, that's for sure.

Calming herself, Edelweiss focused on the sound of Hotaru's voice. A brow somewhat lifted at the expression to share her interests with the newcomer. She wondered if watching the sky during the day was different than at night. But she didn't want to ask and become flustered again if Hotaru laughed at it. She felt self-conscious around her. "I would like that," she attempted to move past this feeling and become formal again. It didn't seem to work very well "there's nothing wrong with wanting to be alone sometimes" Though it stood to reason if Hotaru showed her where to go, they may run into each other when they both wanted space from whatever it was that bothered them "I seem to turn and find myself face to face with another here."

She uneasily chuckled.

"Not that there is anything wrong with that... But I do like being alone with my thoughts." It could be overwhelming to keep spotting others when she wanted the space to figure out Shiroshika for herself.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
11-10-2022, 10:25 PM
Hotaru did not need to be told twice. She knew fully what others were capable of as well as what malicious deeds brought them self fulfillment. She had seen it time and time again even as a young child. The princess was aware there was good in the world, and for the most part they had that here, but there was no convincing her at this point that it outshone the dark that lingered and crept through the cracks. I'd argue the opposite, actually. Edelweiss believed she had no place in these conversations as a newcomer, but she was as much Shiroshika as the rest of them now. You're Shiroshika too and our enemies may now become yours from scent alone. Something that would sadly be unavoidable and potentially ward her away had Quicksilver mentioned nothing of the possibility.

If you wish to know anything, you are allowed to ask questions. We are not very secretive here. It was funny how their thoughts could differ. If only Hotaru knew what the other woman was thinking or believed how she felt, she would find quite the opposite. Too often she pointed blame at her mother, most of the time unwarranted, but she would stand by that they should have been diligent from the start. It was admirable to wish for a beacon of good to attract good people for a pack, but as Edelweiss said, there would always be those who wished to sully the idea.

Those who believed goodness only brought ruin or death in the name of preventing death. Kuhn had shared similar beliefs, as if they controlled the wolves within Shiroshika's protection and commanded them to die for their own agenda. I'm afraid I can not say we bear no wounds. Many have suffered throughout our time. Some have had their lives permanently altered, others with reminders etched into their skin. The rest are either fortunate or hold invisible scars. Hotaru would not name names or point fingers. The physical would be plain to see and she had no intention to dump her traumas at the paws of someone so freely. It was her own business, and something she still was actively processing.

But we can only hope for a brighter future. We have been given a new chance in lands we called our own. That's more than some get. The princess held her smile as they shifted the conversation to be more pleasant. Instinctively, she almost blurted, "then it's a date" but refrained with heat in her ears as she quickly realized what more it might suggest. That may be true... but at some point there was bound to be a line where sometimes became too often. A line she was sure she had crossed many times before. There are plenty of locations, fortunately. I'm not sure how many are known, but there's bound to always be a free location to slip away.

the staff team luvs u
11-11-2022, 05:12 PM
Far from shying from a challenge or even becoming scared, Edelweiss closed her eyes with a grumble. "Well," The enemies were her own now? She was not frightened off. Only petty people held onto a grudge that affected not one or two, but a whole community. It didn't matter who started it first, in her eyes. The fact these others would lump all those in Shiroshika meant they didn't care about peace in the end. They wanted wanton destruction. They wanted others to suffer, regardless if she was a new face or not. They had no bias. She would have no bias either then "I won't make it easy for them if they choose to target me by proxy." 

She held no boast in her tune though. Edelweiss was aware she could take one or two, but more than that? 

How many enemies did Shiroshika have? Did they employ other packs? Did they work alone? She could not know.

Not unless she asked. But she didn't. She knew she could fight others in a reasonable manner, but even she had limits.

She was unhappy to learn that some suffered life-altering injuries. "I'm sure it'll be talked about eventually," she added, shaking her head to Hotaru "right now, I'll live in ignorance until a good time comes up to discuss such things." She tried to save the princess from the pain to recall such a sad time in Shiroshika's near past. It was clear Hotaru had some strong opinions about the situation, and Edelweiss did not want to drudge up bad memories for her or anyone. She only was concerned they may be forced from Tsukiishi again, on the whim of those tormentors. She let it go for now, even if she was curious.

Hotaru moved on as well. Edelweiss nodded once as she explained there were plenty of spaces in Tsukiishi. "Plenty of places to hide though" she smirked a bit playfully "maybe I'll find a new one even you don't know about."

the staff team luvs u
12-28-2022, 04:44 AM
Even with the door wide open, Edelweiss stood on the other side. A traveler looking in, even if she had decided to step into frame. She couldn't blame her though. The struggles they faced were mere history to her, and they weren't exactly pleasant conversations for a first meeting. Ah, yes, my apologizes. This may not be the best topic so soon. I don't mean to darken your views of us. As she said, it would come with time. At least she didn't seem frightened by their present situation.

Hotaru wouldn't hold back the light laugh in her throat as she turned her gaze toward the mountain. There may be plenty of places to hide, but that wouldn't stop her from looking should Edelweiss actually find someplace she hadn't. Then I suppose I'll have another getaway to find. Anyway, I will not keep you if you wish to explore. I'm sure our paths will cross again. The chances they didn't were slim, but she sure hoped they would speak again. It had been...more nice than she'd likely admit, being with someone around her age.

the staff team luvs u
12-30-2022, 02:20 AM
She wished to reach out. To at least touch Hotaru's leg in a gesture she had done to her sisters. True, they had not been blood-related in any sense of the word. But comradery existed. Her sisters were forty strong back in her original world, some young and some old. But they patrolled and prowled with the swiftness of Artemis Herself. 

In the end, however, Edelweiss did not reach out.

She did not know how that would be received, being so new to Hotaru. "There is no darkness," The young woman proclaimed "unless you make it dark." She sometimes was wise beyond her years. Sometimes. She shuffled a bit on the spot again, feeling the conversation come to a natural close. She nodded when the princess excused her.

"Then I will see you around, Hotaru. It was nice talking." The princess didn't need to say it, for the pale huntress did. Edelweiss turned and headed back the way she had come, flicking her tail merrily behind her.

/end

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top