Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
You found me asleep with the roses all over my body,

Midnight Sunny/Clear
P
Ecologist
10-28-2022, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2022, 12:34 AM by Ari. Edited 1 time in total.)

There was always something magical when night arrived. How the stars glistened above and beamed down upon ; some would say that is the wolven ancestors looking upon the world. some say it's millions of other lands like their own.. Far, far away from where their paws could reach. Immortals to the skies, Gods looking upon them ; so many fables to say that none truly knew, and only imagine of the what ifs. Aries too could only ponder, every tale was an interest to know.

She knew she was named after stars. The constellations that stood high in the sky and formed fables and myths: and there was she, the constellation of Aries. A ram found in the mountains, eternally in the sky.. The snow-mistress stood upon the lake, just on the edges of the frozen land as she looked to the sky. Something twinkled, and something fell.

Shooting stars.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
10-28-2022, 12:45 AM
"Hello, Aries."

It had been some time since the two spoke. She had come to the Tundra again after the Mountains were scouted and visited. Nikki wore a pleasant, friendly but dreamy smile as she approached. Her eyes drifted from the woman to look up. Of course, she had seen the shooting stars before walking to the other. She just thought it was nice to share at this moment.

"Pretty," she remarked as she took a spot. Nikki didn't sit so close, since they were acquaintances and not packmates. Duskguard was a good friend, and she did consider all of them in the pack friends... But... Sometimes, a girl could be uncertain. Especially around other girls. "I wonder if it's true" she added "that if you see a shooting star, your luck is about to change." 

Nikki's eyes followed the glow trails. "Though I haven't really practiced how to tell the fortune of someone via the stars."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
10-28-2022, 01:04 AM
Glory golden, staring at the bright sky with a dazzled look as she watched the wisp of a streak fall down from the sky. Into an unknown land, somewhere far, far away that she'd never see — some claim they found a fallen star, but most were but fables, and never be true. Just as was someone saying they saw the end of a rainbow ; a mystery that no one could say or tell what was true, without a proof to show it. She did wonder though, if a star fell, did it leave something onto the earth?

One after the other, more was falling.

She jolted lightly as a familiar voice hit, her gaze turned away from the heavens above to see someone recognized before, "oh, hello Nikita," Aries said with a friendly smile, realizing it was the fortune teller. A woman who visited Duskguard some time ago and set forth various tales to them all ; a reading of their luck and woes. Her own was particularly pleasant.

"Is that so? Is it possible to read fortunes from the stars?" The snow-kissed woman tilted her head in wonder as she looked back to the sparkling galaxy.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
Visionary
10-28-2022, 09:09 AM
She nodded. While her eyes were too pale to reflect the night sky's striking light, she was in awe anyway. Her greys were akin to full moons. Unblinking and observant of all life below. "Yes, some places I had been" she began "before this world, one could tell a lot by what star they were born under. They used that as a focal point; not the items I usually do." Alas, Nikki hadn't been taught how to do such a thing.

She knew some fortunes and traits came from the skies above them. Be it the moon and sun, or the stars... Even the season could be told fortune-wise. "I suppose the stars will always just be a companion to me" she admitted "their secrets forever closed to this one." The young woman fell silent, staring at the sky with her companion nearby. She wondered if there would be anyone that could teach her in time. Or if it was truly, forever, closed.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-01-2022, 11:59 PM
"Do you believe that the Gods are telling you from the stars?" Aries had heard that some who delved in holy-matters, thought the stars itself were messages from Gods. Readings were all by sacred text to be understood by those who pray and divulge to the Priest and Prietess life. She wondered whether the other thought the same, or, "or is it nature itself, that is telling you?" She could not help but ask of the readings of the fortune teller, whether she believed the nature of the dustful sky was the one swaying these words, or the Heavens itself was toying the toils of fate.

"I always felt I never was able to truly fall in love with what I do. Hunting, fighting, medical.. But the stars bring a comfort, watching silently at my trials of fate." The moon was bright in the sky, never leaving and always shining down. The clouds did not venture, leaving only the scenary of what the two see now. A beauty sight of the stars mixed with more light, and the galaxy above. Aries took a deep breath, giving an exhale of relief almost as if she was trying to inhale the essence itself.. 

She found comfort within their view.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
11-03-2022, 05:48 PM
"I do not believe in one god over the other" Nikki began with a gentle shake of her head "there are too many beliefs and pantheons out there to not give each one a chance to shine" And thus, she didn't commit herself to just one or two but many "I think I was born with a sixth sense, but whether nature could credit that is unknown." Perception and luck also played a role in fortune telling. She always was perceptive to others' emotions and feelings. She could feel a change like a jolt through her system.

She smiled kindly at Aries. "Why do you think I haven't joined a pack?" Nikki giggled softly "I'm too flighty. Too aware that my skills aren't in physical tasks... Who but a religious community would accept me? That isn't what I want, to be tied to their beliefs and only preach what they tell me to do" A drifting sigh escaped her lips "at least you have skill in hunting and other things. You need not devote yourself to just one, Aries. You are more than a title." And more than a rank in Duskguard, more than a body to fill them. She looked up again.

"Perhaps the stars will open themselves up to us. Or rather, I hope at least one of us if they are greedy!"

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-04-2022, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2022, 10:36 PM by Ari.)
She watched another star falter ahead ; coated in the dreaming of a vivid purple. Many times when watching them fall ahead to the world below she saw them in a variety of different colors, and sometimes wondered why that was so. A variety was to be seen, she saw yellow, teal, green and white.. No one could say why and only assume, just the same fable as why the stars were above. She watched the star until it disappeared into the horizon, and finally turned back to the Prophet.

"I think many would still accept star-readers. Some can even use the stars to tell where they are in this world?" She questioned with a head-tilt if whether she could do that or only read such meanings of the heavens. Aries vaguely could, enough where she could tranverse home and as well as realize.. This was not the sky she usually saw, or the night that bore ; even the constellations were different and changes, and the locations of all was different. This was not the same sky she so saw for moons ahead, but was not the sky she could only call home.

"Maybe we are a bit too harsh on ourselves," she said chuckling a bit.

the staff team luvs u
11-06-2022, 02:09 AM
"I think we are," Nikki agreed with the pale woman, lowering her head with a chuckle. Her tail wagged somewhat, becoming like her old self again as she conversed with Aries "we should be thankful for what we have" she continued after a soft beat "I'm quite sure that's enough for others, let alone ourselves."

Ah, the old you're good enough talk. Aries had been accepted into Duskguard so her talents were valued. However, Nikita felt she was too much of a wanderer to settle for good. If she was to hunt it was for herself. She wasn't used to sharing food with other wolves and leaving it on a pile in the middle of their territory too. Seemed strange to her.

Why not just eat what you could catch?

Ah, right. Children could not hunt much. That was reasonable. "Do you like living in Duskguard?" she asked innocently, shifting her gaze back to Aries "Lady Olive is a kind woman, though I have not met her partner. Archon and Genghis are nice to me, and we're becoming what I like to believe are friends..."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-08-2022, 07:45 PM

As she chuckled and looked to the sky, the constellation of Aries remained high. Sparkled, the dash of the stars falling down simply added to such beauties ; the way the imaginary lines connected and formed what wolves named as the ram of the heavens. It was a wonder though.. How did their ancestors think of so? To look high above and see the connection of more then just twinkling stars, but a lore, a fable, or even their own ancestors.. Was it the heavens up there? Or more? Was it looking down at her, as she tried so? To harness the beauty and brawn, just as the constellation shined brightly to the world below.

She hoped she was trying enough, to serve what she could, and the pack that accepted. A soft smile, as gaze fell below and looked toward the waters. There was a pause, an ear flickering and paw adjustment, "I do," she said with a passion and warmth. In the truth so, she valued the pack, "but I.. Feel so small in it. Like I am unneeded, not unwanted — but that I am burden."

the staff team luvs u
11-09-2022, 09:25 PM
"Oh, Aries..."

She frowned, not a sigh or exhaustion but an understanding. Sympathy and compassion. She breathed, closing her eyes. Letting the light of the heavens reach down and touch. Nikki understood the need to be useful, to not be a burden on others. It was why she didn't really want to join a pack, nor have the desire to be told she was weak and useless down the line. Negativity was not welcome in her world.

She sort of avoided it.

"I am not the right wolf to speak to about that, but if you want to express and elaborate... I am an impartial ear." She offered the woman but would not become aggressive if the offer was declined. She turned her head, her eyes already opened, and a kind smile shot the Duskguard woman's way. While she was quite sure Aries contributed a lot to the pack, it was easy to fall into despair. She also knew this. Nikki was not a confrontational beast, and she kept her true feelings to herself.

the staff team luvs u
11-11-2022, 01:50 AM
"Even if I wanted to, I could not put it into words." So the woman confessed as she thought. It was hard to explain why she felt like that ; Olive and Tiberius had given her so much. They allowed her to help as but an amateur medic, and a midwife to boot.. Even trusted her with that of a messenger — and it was struggling to think why she felt so little when they trusted her so. She felt.. Inferior..

In a way that everyone was so well and adept to what they did but Aries could not find the appropriate skills, and only the over-level of what was. She was afraid the day her mid-level medical skills would do harm, or the day she portrayed a wrong message, or spoke to the wrong wolf and the wrong words preserved. She did not hold the same diplomatic sense as Olive, but she did not have the prowess as did Tiberius.. So she struggled, to find somewhere comfortable to what she truly could only do, and to hold firm in help. Something she wanted to be proud in, and have others rely on her, just as she relied on them.

"My, I shouldn't bore you with negative talk," she chuckled lightheartedly, "this was a wonderful night Nikita. It was a pleasure to see you again.. I think it's time for me to return home." Maybe it was a little bit embarrassing to feel so, and even guilty that was toned in her voice. She didn't wish to burden the other and was prepared to tuck these right back into her heart, but was quick to turn and attempt to leave.

the staff team luvs u
11-11-2022, 06:49 PM
She did not think Aries would confide in her.

They were barely budding friends, let alone allies. She was but a vagabond, and Aries was a pack wolf. She had others to rely on, even if the pale woman didn't think she could talk to those in her community. So no, Nikki was not offended. She offered a smile as the other excused herself. Her tail wagged lazily, eyes turned back to the open night sky.

"Farewell, and safe travels back." She added to the woman's fumble, giving a gentle few bobs of her head. Nikki only hoped Aries would confide in someone, if not her. She was a mere fortune teller, and counseling was not her strong suit. The mystic side of things aside... She oft found she gave advice based on her readings alone. She'd be bad at open expression.

But alas, this memory would fade in time. The only thing remaining to Nikita was Aries' worries, drifting across the sky. Trying to find solace.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top