Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Meet Me in the Woods

AW
Discovery
Hunter
Vanderfell Woods
03-26-2021, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:48 PM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
Days passed and with it the shifting of seasons. The air above was still cold though the forests that flushed the land below had begun to clear of snow and ice. With warmer days ahead there was much promise for comfort and hopefully, ease as Vanderfell settled into place atop the mountain. They were still small, a blessing and a curse. It made management easier and one good hunt could feed everyone, but it did not bring protection.

As luck would have it, no threats seemed to be looming overhead, or if they were they were far enough from their reach to be a true concern, but one day they would have to expand. Ira truthfully could see a future here. The mountain twists were challenging but with due time it would all be second nature and these woods were beautiful and plentiful. She made a habit of checking the forest frequently, both for travelers and to watch the herds as spring came into bloom.

Today was no different as the roan queen followed the stream down from the mountains to the base. The slight trickle of water guided her as she walked, the glint of a few fish beneath its surface catching her eye. It seemed that slowly more and more creatures were arriving rather it be from the warmer temperatures or if they too just appeared. Perhaps she would test her skills and attempt to scoop one of the silver creatures, though fish seemed less than appetizing with other, more readily available, options for dinner.

+2 Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-29-2021, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:25 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
The pack was small for now, a quaint little group who can grow together into a stronger family of sorts, a rag-tag group of individuals who placed their love and trust in one another to become better individuals. It was what he loved most about being in a pack. Not only for the safety it brings or better chances at keeping oneself fed - but for the camaraderie and companionship it brought.

Regardless of how big or small the group was, Hieronymous was certain he knew where his place was, where his home now was now that he found his missing piece. It didn't matter what the plan was or where they went, he'd follow Ira until the ends of the earth if he had to. Whether she thought of him to be annoying or no, she would never be alone ever again if he had a say in any of it. (despite the little hiccup earlier after waking up)

Speaking of the roan beauty herself, he caught a glimpse of her by the river beyond the mountain's slope. Eyeing the silverfish swimming by preparing for the arrival of spring themselves. Trout should be plentiful soon, perhaps he should be keeping an eye out for them soon to see if they were present here in this river as well. That was for another time, however, as he approached the giant beauty with a friendly wave of his tail. “Good evening Ira!”
^^

+1 Point

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Discovery
04-01-2021, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:26 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
With as much ground they had to cover, Ira expected to spend her time mostly alone, and on most days she likely did. However, today she could hear the steps of another quick in pursuit. It wasn't until she heard his voice that she identified it as the painted knight from before, Hieronymous, she paused in her tracks, turning to look as he caught up, good to see you.

He arrived eagerly, and while he was far from childish in the moment, there was something puppy-like about his behavior that tugged the corner of her lip. What brought you down the mountain? I take it nothing urgent with that kind of greeting. Perhaps he too sought a fresh meal, or maybe he just came to explore the forest. Truthfully, she declared her desire to claim it without fully knowing what laid here, but the prey and fresh water alone deemed it valuable.

If he wasn't busy, maybe they could explore further. She wouldn't deny her curiosity as they were bound to extend to the reaches of the forest one day. Obviously, they did not have the forces to do so now, not when the mountain hadn't even been properly marked, but that didn't mean they could not get a head start.

+1 Point

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-04-2021, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:26 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
“Likewise~” The knight chanted in a light, musical tone. His merry spirit only glowing brighter at the slight sight of her faint smile. Oh, how it made his heart sing to see. A song that even the melodic chords of a wood thrush would envy if they could hear his spirit and how it soared.

Though he could gaze at her all day, such a thing would be creepy - even for him. And so, after a curt greeting and meeting of the eyes, he passed by the High Queen to stand opposing her direction and into the valley fed by the falls. Even he could smell the mist in the air - but oh how wonderful it must smell to them who had a fully functioning wolf snout. “No ma'am, nothing urgent.” A gentle sway in his tail indicating his pleasant and at ease mood.

“I figured I could spend the day fishing,” He tossed a glance over his shoulder to gauge a reaction. “but of course, my plans changed seeing you here as well.” Those same gleeful seafoam eyes closed as his smile widened, letting his cheeks fully rise and take up precious eye space. “Is there something I can assist you with here?”
^^

+1 Point

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
04-13-2021, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2021, 10:25 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
The painted man seemed merry as he passed with what most certainly seemed like pep and bounce to his step. It was a wonder how he was always in such high spirits, not that she was particularly downcast, but she could hardly say she had the same enthusiasm. At the very least they had nothing to worry about while they settled. There was so much to do with their size, but of course, if she wanted numbers sitting around the mountain and waiting for travelers to come to her would take time.

Mayhaps she should chance her travels and see what lingered further in the distance, though she wasn't about to beg for wolves to follow. There was no rush, all good would come in due time. As Hieronymous spoke once more, her attention snapped to the man before her. You are fond of fish then? Like a cat. The thought was amusing given his personality seemed anything but. I have naught planed, though I had toyed with the idea of searching for notable landmarks. Perhaps seek where the herds gather. Though if you so desire, I can save for a rainy day.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-13-2021, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:28 PM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
“I am~” He chimed. Uncertain if she remembered anything about him at all judging by their first re-union a little while back. Frankly, he was uncertain if he wanted to re-tell his story now or later about his lack of certain sensations, and why such things like fish were so tempting for him... how safe they were to hunt in comparison to most land-dwelling prey.

Maybe that would be a conversation for another day, for the sake of sounding redundant or questionable, Hiero would continue to feel out everyone's memories and his own before playing the same damn some like a broken recorder.

“I can fish any day, I don't mind accompanying you to find the herds or landmarks - that is, if you don't mind the company?” Of course he wanted to join her, tag along like the simp he was for the beautiful new mountain queen of which he pledged his loyalty all over again. Still, he offered her the chance to reject his offer and for them to go their separate ways for days.
^^

+1 Formation Point

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
04-20-2021, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:49 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ira hummed just under her breath, taking note of the information for later. Favorite foods weren't exactly necessary to know, but with festivities or events, it became helpful in the event of a need to hunt for a feast. Another day. Discovering is optional, hunting is survival. 

Her gaze dipped to the river and the clear water that flowed steadily as she moved to her knight's side. If you're such an expert then perhaps you might show me? I grew up mainly hunting goats and elk. I assume the skill does not translate well.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-22-2021, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:30 PM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
“As you wish.” His tone was relaxed, almost pleased with a musical lilt to his as Hiero was truly just happy to do anything at all - it was simply the cherry on top that it was going to be with Ira this time around. His tail only grew in wagging speed as Ira asked about the differences in fishing and traditional hunting. “I'm afraid not.” He smiles wide, a charming set of pearly whites flashing as he tilts his head to the river pleading for her to join him.

With almost practiced precision he walked down the rocks of which they stood on and made his way into the water without a second thought. The spring chill in the crystalline liquid wouldn't hit him like others as he simply submerged himself with elusive elegant ease. “Fishing doesn't need brute strength... most of the time — in fact, it is all about patience and timing. Arguably traditional hunting does too, but this is to a much more... greater extent.” Hieronymous did his best to explain the simple rules of fishing, the basics more or less.
^^

+1 Formation Point

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
04-24-2021, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:49 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Hieronymous seemed pleased enough with her decision, a charming grin flashed her way as he dipped into the water swiftly with the elegance of a crane. It was almost suspicious how easily he had done it, though she would not be quick to follow. I did not imagine I'd be out for a swim just to have dinner. Wouldn't it be less conspicuous to fish from the shore? The roan queen raised her brow as her paws bordered the water, eyes glancing from her own spot to where the painted man now stood amongst the current.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-24-2021, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:29 PM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
Ira remained on shore, he didn't mind. If it was too cold for her he wouldn't blame her for wanting to stay dry. Just because he couldn't feel it to be bothered by the sting of chilly waters, it didn't mean others were lesser than. He chuckled at her question, not in a derogatory way, he simply thought her question was amusingly correct in some ways.

“They're fish, they forget if you stand still, herons do the same.” He demonstrated somewhat by standing as still as someone talking could. Normally he would be quiet, let the tranquility of nature around them take him away to a trans-like state, only focussing on the water and what was inside. Now, he was an instructor. “It's also easier when you're in the water, the big ones don't stay close to shore for that reason. It's too easy for predators.”
^^

+0 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Vanderfell Woods
Formation
Hunter
04-26-2021, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:50 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
Is that how you learned? Watching herons? She supposed it made sense. If it worked for other creatures then study them, though it was still interesting to see another actually move like one. Or maybe Ira was just not as graceful as she imagined herself to be.

Hiero had a fair point though. The large fish always did swim down the central current. Anything that crept towards the shore usually hid in nooks and crannies or under the dense growth that sprouted at the water's edges. Certainly, nothing to gawk at or consider a proper meal for the time and energy spent. Though Vanderfell was still few in numbers, Ira never did like wasting time, so no longer hesitating, she would step carefully into the water.

The chill crawled her spine, even with spring in bloom, the water that came down from the mountain peaks kept cool from cold rocks or melted snow. She waded out to the painted man's side, stilling as she peered into the calming ripples that stretched away from her limbs. And what now?

+1 Formation Point

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-26-2021, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:30 PM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
“Hmmm kind of.” He pondered the answer. Practice played a lot into it too, and learning from faces he had long forgotten. But everyone must have learned from somewhere, and herons were by far the best example he could think of from his fishing style. “My mother taught me quite a bit, safest way to hunt you know?” He hinted again to see if she would catch on to his disability if she remembered.. if he had ever told her. “But I watched herons a lot too to get better over time, along with other tutors.”

He couldn't help but turn his head to watch as she came into the water he was wading in. Patiently waiting for his new fishing partner, noobie, to come close enough. His eyes never leaving her strong, lean body as he simply couldn't help but bask in her presence. “Now we wait.” In hushed tones, he focussed on the water once more, waiting for her previous splashing to calm and for the fish to feel comfortable enough to swim by again. “Listen to the falls.” He whispered, trying to coax out her patience through meditation. “Feel the water on your legs and familiarize yourself with the current. When a fish comes near, you'll be able to feel the disturbance.”

A moment passed, well, more than a moment as he too patiently waited until the flash of silver caught his eye and immediately he dove down. Teach through example, Ira would learn more if she saw how it worked. With a snap of his teeth and legs firmly stabilizing himself in the soft sand, he eventually brought up a medium sized trout, snorting water out of his nose as he turned with a haughty smile to show off his prize to the High Queen.
^^

+1 Formation Point

the staff team luvs u
Vanderfell Woods
Formation
Hunter
04-26-2021, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:50 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
He explained easy enough, surprising confirming her suspicion as true, though she would raise a brow as he mentioned it was the safest way to obtain food. There was no denying it, fishing held little risk, though she imagined feeding more than oneself would grow tiresome from the work. Additionally...if you asked her, there was a bit more thrill to a hunt when you had to get your blood pumping.

Ira would nod as her companion continued, his voice hushed yet gentle while he explained the scenery, the feelings until all fell silent aside from the roar of the falls. She wasn't sure how much time would pass while they stood motionless. Both kept their sights on the depths of the river for some unexpecting creature to swim by, though she couldn't help but pay attention to the light breathing of the man at her side.

She chanced a glance, side eying Hieronymous finding his usually goofy grin misplaced by a calm mask laced with his focus. It had been apparent before, but now so close she could truly make out his rugged features. Even with his strange pattering, it did not make him any less handsome. A blink was all it took to break the moment, his head plunging into the water as Ira recoiled in surprise before he pulled out a decent-sized fish, a snort of water spraying outwards as he turned to her smiling once more.

The roan woman huffed what could have been the start of a laugh as she pulled her eyes away to look towards the trees. Impressive. That should make a fine addition to the cache.

+1 Formation Point

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
04-26-2021, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:31 PM by zina. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
He was less charming as a wet-faced tramp. Had he known she was observing him, perhaps he would have basked in the moment a little longer - but alas, of all the moments for ira to pop a glance, he was focussed on not only teaching her, but also to be as successful as possible as to not come off as a total loser who couldn't fish. With a weighed-down sway of his tail, he pranced passed Ira to secure their prize on shore. Placing it down but not walking away without a quick chomp to the head to finish its suffering.

Spitting out a few scales, only now was he able to return Ira's earlier remark. “A few more and you might be able to call yourself the fisher Queen of Vanderfell.” He teased, this time, as he shook himself off on the shore of any excess water, he sat on land while observing Ira. Trying his best not to just oggle her and think how beautiful she was - but instead, on her form. “Next one is yours, I'll sit here and give you pointers. Remember, patience is a virtue with fishing, accuracy and speed comes next.”
^^

+1 Formation Point

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
04-27-2021, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:51 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
A few more? I think you forget, I still need to catch one. She huffed a laugh shaking her head as she peered back into the water. It appeared the tables had turned and now it would be her time to demonstrate skill. The queen gave a mental nod as she kept the most recent tips at the forefront of her mind, waiting as the waters stilled once more.

How much time passed before the balance returned she was unsure, though her patience would be rewarded with time as a silver glint caught her eye. The push of its tail brought pressure to her leg from the current as it trailed by and before it could swim out of her range she struck.

The slimy thing shifted under her teeth, almost slipping out of her grasp, but another bit secured her grip. Ira would pull her head out, coughing water from her maw as she was quickly slapped in the face by the creature's tail. She would be careful to tread back to shore, ignoring the several following slaps as the fish floundered uselessly in her maw before she dropped it beside the other. Ending its life quickly, a few words were muttered under her breath before she stepped back to shake the water from her pelt.

I'm beginning to think I will never fancy fish. Not for eating and not for hunting, though the quirk on her lips suggested her words were out of mild humor compared to lone annoyance.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-27-2021, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2021, 04:32 PM by zina. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
“I have faith you can.” Gently he continued to encourage the Queen to try at least, to not lose hope in her ability to snag something at least. He smiled from his dry seat, letting the water along his back begin to dry up in the warmth of the sun that baked it. In due time he would be dry once more, thankfully with Summer just around the corner, he didn't have to worry about being wet anymore and just enjoy the warm days while they were here.

Silence overtook the river once more, only leaving the roar of the falls that echoed in the canyon-like valley. Its focussed on her task, letting time slip by as though an hourglass, never to return again. Perhaps she too would see the beauty in fishing, the calm it offered to be one with the river and its inhabitants. The type of peace and tranquility it brought as opposed to the rush of a traditional hunt.

Then, in a moment she plunged into the cool waters. Hiero stood excitedly, his tail waving high above his hips as he couldn't help but be electrified by her strike. “You got it!” He cheered, prancing on the spot as a one man crowd as Ira came to shore to kill her prey. If he would whistle he would have, but instead he chanted congratulations and all types of praise instead. “I think the feeling may be mutual between you and them.” He grins.
^^

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Vanderfell Woods
Hunter
04-29-2021, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:51 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
permission to pp hiero

Rather she had done great or not, Hiero cheered from the sidelines and the roan woman couldn't shake the feeling he just might have done the same had she failed as well. Nevertheless, it drew a small smile from her that quickly turned into a smirk as she rolled her eyes. And whatever gave you that impression? certainly not the fish slapping her in the face.

Come now, I shan't be the only wolf they hate today. A few more should feed the others tonight. Leaving the two fish at the shore, Ira would carefully wade back to the center of the river, Hieronymous close on her heels. There they would spend the rest of the afternoon catching what they could, though it would become clear that she would need to hone her fishing skill should she choose to take to the river more often. Luckily the other seemed to have better luck, er, skill.

By the time the sun began its journey down, the two would be heading back, enough fish in tow to make the time spent well worth the effort.

+1 Formation Point

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top