Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
calico care

AW
03-25-2021, 10:27 PM

Sybil felt like all had been lost, as days became weeks, and weeks became months, and all that was left was but a shadow who she once was. Those who once adored her now left, and the one who took her in paid attention elsewhere. Though the one to cause it all? Gone in the wind, a sentencing to begone from the order. A grand protector, one where the mother adored so, but perhaps was harder upon then others. Though she knew, that a parent will always love her child. The calico wolf was just a pebble thrown into her path to success.

She didn't hold resentment in her role, and served the Order with care and determination. Even now with the loss of her legs, broken and torn, unhealable by the best herbalists, she couldn't find it in her heart to hold bitterness against @Kei. Rather then bitterness, she turned to a life of desolate sorrow for herself, but a broken doll without use, forgotten and tossed. Her adoptive mother didn't throw her away though, and did care despite the loss of usefulness.. But Sybil couldn't handle being but a burden, and thought to rotten away far from them all.

Yet, when she woke up, she was in unfamiliar grounds, no scent of the Order, or the Syndicate, and only covered by the red leaves. It grew harder to move, as the adjustment to live without usable legs grew.. But a surprise came to be when Sybil rose up, that her once crippled form was in it's form once more. Grand as she once was, her form went up in ease, legs stretching behind like a cat in the sun. She couldn't help but bleed in tears, constantly running and realizing what had happened.

She was healed.

Faster, did she urge, onward, did she say to herself. Legs bounding through the forest, leaving a carpet in it's travel of the red leaves from the eternally autumn forest.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Pre-formation
03-27-2021, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 02:10 AM by Crux.)
 Crux enjoyed his time away from camp, though he enjoyed his time in it too. He'd been spending his time gathering information from strangers who passed by the forest, trailing through it and marking loosely. There weren't enough wolves to make a pack yet, he felt, but he wanted to ward off predators or potential dangers that might come by. If his scent, as musky as it was, could make a potential raider think twice, it'd be all worth it. Still, it was slightly exhausting.

Rising out of a small creek bed where he'd been digging for small crustaceans and frogs as a snack, he turned to admire the trees. There was something about them he couldn't get over. Their eternal strangeness... He noticed that here, there seemed to be a different breed of the red trees. Ones with white trunks were beginning to pop up in this region of the forest - black eye shapes piercing out of them. It almost felt like he was being watched.

But no, the wolf that came barreling out of the trees was definitely not watching him, or perhaps where she was going at all. He realized with a start that he was directly before her and her trajectory was dangerous. “Watch out!” He called, leaping to the side and hoping that she'd heed his words and not stumble face-first into the creek bed. Or into him.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-29-2021, 05:42 PM
She felt like the world was hers, everything but herself was living in slow motion as Sybil's legs did not stop, even she could feel the joints cry from the over exhaustion, she could not stop, over-joyed that she could feel the pain of running for so long. Boundless red leaves followed behind as her steps heavily onto the crimson floor, such a particular forest, for she thought it was winter, but a perfect time for herself. A red washing to the world, and a white coat bounding through in it's mysterious love.

With such contrasting features, surely any other that was against the colors was seen. Beyond was a white pelt- another wolf that gave Sybil a surprise, yet she could not stop. When she tried to stop her heels from running to him, the calico wolf was sliding against the fallen leaves with a surprised face, and heading directly to the man, "oh my!"

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Pre-formation
03-30-2021, 01:14 AM
 The sky exploded as birds seemed to notice the approaching bullet of a wolf at once, scattering to the sky and leaving several scattered feathers to drift to the ground, blue and black mixing with the red leaves beneath. Crux's attempt at removing himself from her path was evidently inefficient as she was still headed right towards him. His claws attempted to dig into the ground as she crashed into him but they were ultimately useless as the contact sent him stumbling back and onto his rump, leaves scattering around him.

He righted himself, shaking his head and the leaves from his coat. “Are you alright, miss?” he asked, more concerned for her than upset. She'd been coming quite fast and although his chest was sore from the impact, he wasn't sure how she had fared. He also took a moment to scan the surroundings behind her, brows narrowing as he tried to spot any possible pursuer.

the staff team luvs u
03-30-2021, 01:35 AM
Her crash was softened by the blow of the other and his larger form, but even so the sudden crash stll managed to push him back, and have herself fall over. A scene of a storm of leaves scattering across, the two pushing themselves up as fate decided to come forth between so, "My apologies sir, I'm quite alright." brushing herself off and giving a quick lick to her messy chest, she gave a bit of distance between the two and flashed a remorseful smile, with a polite tone, "Are you?"

"It has been sometime since i've been.. Out, it seems I got ahead of myself." Sybil did not lie upon her reasoning, though she decided to leave out the part upon 'healing.' She wasn't sure what wolf would believe someone who once was permanently disabled, was not full-healing without repercussions. Not to mention, a stranger.

the staff team luvs u
Pre-formation
Discovery
03-31-2021, 04:52 PM
 Who was this girl and what had she been running for? He didn't hear any more approaching noises, simply those ever present bluebirds who seemed to have discovered the territory's aversion to winter. He had noticed that they were extremely curious of land animals within - he would find himself being followed by them, sometimes dispersing when he looked at them and sometimes not. He turned his attention to peer back down at her, alarm shifting into curiosity. “I'm perfectly alright!” he rose to his paws belatedly, shaking off the remnants of leaves.

“Out?” He tilted his head, not asking the question he wanted but moving on to another that was always pressing: “Did you also wake up with little memory of how you arrived?” At least one wolf he'd asked this question to had thought he was bonkers, but it wasn't going to stop him from asking time and time again. “Oh! Pardon my rudeness, my name is Crux and this is Bleakwood.” He indicated to the red leaves around.

the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 07:52 PM
"Oh my," she thought it was too much of a coincidence, "I did." Just like her sudden healing, Sybil didn't mention on 'suddenly' waking up, as most wolves would find her rather strange, perhaps something was wrong if she stated so. It never occured to her that others within this strange land may have the same situation occur, she didn't think about it all due to how impossible it seemed. Though the lands have always been strange in that way, it was why she spent so much of her life dedicating to protecting the fragility and mystics it has.

"I am Koi."

A false name had been given on this day, while a new land was brought to, and none would know her true name, she was brought up with such suspicions. Cruz, a name of a black and white wolf seemed a nice fellow, but she also did not know his past, or his motives to be. A wariness, but covered by a pleasant smile and a peaceful convo. Maybe another day would be shared when a trust was built between the two, but Sybil didn't know if this was the last to be seen of him as well.

She did not know her own goals- where to go from here?

the staff team luvs u
Pre-formation
Discovery
03-31-2021, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2021, 08:08 PM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
 He breathed a sigh of relief - at least she didn't think he was mad too. “My friend and I, we met a young wolf the other day and he thought we were mad when we asked if it was the same for him.” He gave a little laugh, shaking his head, “We woke up in this forest, absolutely no idea how we got here.” He gave a little helpless shrug, lifting a paw slightly for it. It was actually... a huge relief to find more and more wolves with similar situations. After the boy on the mountain, he'd been worried that maybe he and Mordi were mad. But no, no. They couldn't be. Shared madness across complete strangers? Impossible.

“Well,” he gave a little bow of his head, “It's a pleasure to meet you, Koi.” He had no reason to think her name a lie, nor any reason to fault her for giving a false one even if he did know. Names were fickle things and in a new world, why not reinvent yourself?

A bird flew past his head, probably taunting him after they'd realized he wasn't interesting in hunting them. He blinked after it, giving a confused laugh. “They're getting more comfortable the longer I stay,” he commented, almost to himself, then shook his head and turned back to the lady. “A few new friends and I have made camp nearby,” he said by way of explanation, “If you need a place to stay, you're more than welcome to come rest with us for however long.” It could be scary, waking up in a completely new place, knowing nobody around. Not knowing how you got there...

He wondered if it was the same for Koi.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2021, 08:09 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Sybil gave a small and reassuring chuckle, "I was afraid to mention it, thinking similarly." She was rather pleased with the conversation, as not only a friendly wolf to accompany her, she was gathering information through so - the situation was quite unusual. Not only herself, but a few others waking up to such an unnatural way.. A new land with not knowing how they arrived, surely many would miss the old lives. Though, she would've give anything to return to that, as an unsteady look was given to her healed legs.

She would never return to that again.

"I would be delighted to join, as I have no plans in general. It's much safer to stay within numbers."
A strategical point and she nodded to his suggestion. There may be a day she may move on, however Sybil felt quant on being known as 'Koi,' and joining Crux's group of loners. She wouldn't mind it evolved either, out of comfort to this strange land, if she had some allies to gain from it all, it was such a safer bet. She kept on thinking and striving points of survival, but there was a point where the calico wolf simply wanted company, to replace the family she once held. There was a key point of being lonely, and the more excuses she made, the more solidified she was to staying.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Pre-formation
03-31-2021, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2021, 08:09 PM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
 It truly was good to know that you were not alone in such a strange circumstance. Even after waking and finding Mordecai, he'd wondered how many wolves were actually here. As the days passed and he met more and more wolves, he was certain of one thing: This was home and this was his now. Even as they still trailed as loners, he found himself playing with the idea of a pack more and more. After all, one of his new friends did call him Prince already.

Plus, how much better is it to call a place a pack than just a rag-tag group of friends?

Oh, excellent! He smiled appreciatively, “That's great to hear!” his tail wagged slightly behind him. He couldn't help it - knowing there was going to be another friend on the island made him happier than anything. “Shall we go, then? I can tell you about them all as we go” If she gave the affirmative, he would turn to lead her towards their little island paradise.

We can end this thread here after your reply, or we can continue - up to you!

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2021, 06:34 PM
Life was curious in that way, bringing light to the fortunate, and sprinkling it with a bit of misfortune. Sybil- perhaps Koi now, was taking the life in a stride, as previously she was under the thumb of her adoptive mothers training, and to be put a step toward her adoptive sisters improvements. Thankful as she was, upon being severely disabled was quite.. A saddened life for her, and now waking up with these unknown lands, and meeting Cruz, it all seemed like a fate.

"We shall," and she nodded to the new leader. Hearing about the others and company, but something nagged at the back of her mind. Like a foreboding shadow that would approach this small paradise.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top