Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
to learn, to grow

Afternoon Snow
AW
Duskguard
10-15-2022, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2022, 12:50 PM by Tallulah. Edited 1 time in total.)
ooc; during Elysium's visit in duskguard. anyone in duskguard/visiting elysium friends welcome!

Despite her pack's friendliness with Duskguard, Tallulah would be cautiously respectful. She did not hunt on their land. She did not stray alone; she was always with someone from Elysium, keeping close to the group that arrived here. This was the first time she allowed herself to walk unaided. It was along the border, figuring if she had to do something while Ms. Valeska and the others were political, she might as well keep watch.

With most in Elysium being friendly with Duskguard, she always stood to the side and let these friendships progress. If someone approached her, she was always polite. Like right now; if someone were to approach her, Tallulah would be nice, but keep them at arm's length. Why? Because they were from different communities and even different biomes. The Mountains and Tundra were different. She didn't expect anyone from the Vale to waltz to Fate's Respite just for her sake.

It was a long trek, and friends faded. Like the one with Cassius... She wondered where he was now. Perhaps that's why she kept others away, out of fear they'd fade from memory? Either way, she walked with her mind deep in thought. The Vale was a nice respite from the chilly open tundra. The woods housed all sorts of things, while the vale itself was like a new adventure. She didn't poke and prod too much, nor did she go where she was unwanted. Mostly at the border, sleeping with the progression that had come...

She didn't push her luck.

Packs were still quite new to Tallulah. She was still learning the ropes.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 53568461_UCgDR8zToPO5WLQ.png]
FALLING TOO FAST TO PREPARE FOR THIS
TRIPPING IN THIS WORLD COULD BE DANGEROUS
Adventurer
10-23-2022, 03:51 PM
It almost seemed like the tundra life suited Urszula. She blended in with the scenery and it, the vale especially, reminded her a lot of what it was like when she lived on the farm with her mother and sisters. It was still touched by autumns fingers, though as the clouds came in, a dusting of snow was beginning to fall. The peaks themselves were already turning white but down in this valley, it seemed like only the trees and those who lived within were tickled by winters tears. 

It was there she wandered, exploring the territory once the priestess and her family had settled down. It was unusual to have left their sides but it seemed as if the packs were at peace with each other. Though others seemed strained, it was the little she-wolf of the Duskguard that held them together. To have that kind of relationship with another was difficult for the shield maiden to relate with, though not hard to understand when she looked to Valeska. 

The Priestess had her respect, so perhaps she was a friend of Zula's. 

She danced through trees and hopped over logs, finding her own path through the unknown territory. There were many areas to explore, each with their own use it seemed. Like a paradise amongst the harsh landscape, it was no wonder why the pack had chosen to settle within the guarded ridges. It was when she hopped across a small spring that the maiden found herself in the company of familiarity but it was still someone she barely knew on a personal level. The other Windseeker, another sentry on their expedition across the frozen flats. What was her name... Ah yes!

"Tallulah," she greeted almost awkwardly, a bob of her head offered in respect. The pair of them made a good team, so equally matched in strength and size.

Had they ever really been formally introduced?

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3
this characters thoughts, feelings and opinions do not reflect my own.

10-24-2022, 12:02 AM
"Urszula?" Tallulah responded at first, squinting her eyes at the other wolf. It was clear she was trying to remember her name, having seen her in passing around Elysium before the visit. While her accent was thick, the name was voiced clearly. They hadn't had a chance to really talk yet, one on one. She dipped her head politely after a beat.

"I... didn't get yer name wrong, did I?" She broke out in a hushed worry, raising her eyes to the other woman. What a bad first impression if so! Especially since Urszula knew her name. While the exchange was somewhat awkward, it hadn't been as awkward as others. Outside and inside of Elysium. "Does an'one need me?" She asked, worried she had strayed too far from the delegation.

Perhaps the woman just wanted to talk. Which was fine.

the staff team luvs u
10-24-2022, 08:37 PM
The pair were awkward but not unfamiliar. You had to get mighty close to someone during travel and especially when you had a duty to the people you served. They worked, but otherwise did not require each others names or any kind of bond. 

Except they were of the same pack.

The stoney woman gave a nod, agreeing with the pronunciation. This accent... It was strange to her ears though not abnormal. Just strong. A different dialect to the usual. Zula was about to speak when her eyes caught onto the woman's sudden tone, worried? Oh shit, had Zula worried her? With bashful ears lowering and a quick smile, she tried to put Tallulah at ease. "No, just found you during my wander!" she gave a small laugh before breathing a long exhale. 

"Quite the territory isn't it?"

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

10-24-2022, 09:16 PM
She chuckled, relief swarming through her body. "Oh!" She would sit down, leaning back a bit to relax. A wander, Urszula called roaming. How funny "It's nice." A neutral comment, not really enjoying the cold but knowing her coat would adjust. She had come here with a thin one; hence the traditional bandanas her kin and her friends had worn. But if anyone of the Vale came across her spouting not-nicest comments, would the alliance suffer between packs?

"Say, er..."

The Vale was nice, yes, but she preferred Elysium's land. That is part of the reason she lived there anyway. Her friends were included in the package, along with Nick. He was making strides to be here, remain here... She hoped it wasn't for just her in time. Tallulah's neck fur fluffed, recalling the circumstances of the visit. "I met Vendrussel before" she added quietly to the other woman "feels... strange, goin' to her trial" Ugly, even "she didn't strike me as a bad person."

She turned to look at Urszula. "Do ye feel uncertain? Like som'thing bad is gonna happen?" Something big.

the staff team luvs u
11-02-2022, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 07:33 PM by Urszula. Edited 1 time in total.)
Truth be told, when the woman before her began this specific topic, it caused Urszula to become cautious. It wasn't her place to say, to be the jury. She was there to protect Valeska, just like she had here. She was going because there might be a war. Her eyes briefly widened as she listened to the muddy coloured woman before she swallowed the frog that huddled in her throat. 

"I don't..." she paused and sucked her tongue to the roof of her mouth, unsure of what she was about to say; her tone quietened. 

"I haven't met her, but I understand the northmen way." It was a look on things that Zula had yet to see from many, but she hadn't gone further than Elysium until now.

"To see this come to trial –" she inhaled sharply "–Vendrussell must've... been underhanded. Murder and manslaughter are two different things to us, so is protecting yourself and starting a fight to the common folk. Children push boundaries and don't like doing what you tell them to do but was it enough to go this far?" Zula shook her head. She just didn't know.

"I really don't like this feeling of dread, Tallulah."

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

Paladin
11-02-2022, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2022, 09:42 PM by Tallulah. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Me either."

She spoke this clearly enough, the accent tickling a little in her tune. She bowed her head, staring at the ground between them. Her brow burrowed. "Me loyalty is to Ms. Valeska and to Elysium" she said to Urszula "even though Ms. Valeska said I don't hafta be" She gives a weak smile, recalling having bowed to the pale alpha and she looked taken back by it "I won't hesitate to protect 'em from anyone else there but I cannae help but feel this... Is a beginnin' of something."

Something bad. Like she had felt when speaking to Vendrussel back at the shore. Tallulah swallowed thickly, looking at the Elysium wolf's face. "Just cause I met Vendrussel don't mean I'm loyal to her. She told me bout the other packs I was a wee newcomer here" She shook her head as if a fly was buzzing "she directed me north" She decided to be upfront about it, since she had told Valeska how she came to be here too back then "feels surreal." Meeting someone -

And they are a suspect in a murder trial.

"Sorry" Tallulah began after a silence "I... I haven't spoken much bout it until now. It feels good to get doubt and anxiety out, and ye listen well enough" She grinned awkwardly "whole situation makes me feel disgustin'. What if I chose to follow her? Guilty by association? Kinda... like I dodged a bullet, huh?" The grin slipped, replaced with visible unease "whole thing feels wrong to me. Like a cold dread. M' glad yer gonna be there too, watchin' out for the delegation."

the staff team luvs u
11-02-2022, 08:50 PM
It was as if being there at the trial, a witness to a public execution, was enough to be guilty of murder yourself. She knew the alpha wouldn't go down without a fight, surely that was what the trial was for but in any case and from her own experience, if a leader was being questioned and they had a fiercely loyal following... It would always get messy. There was no doubt in it that the pack may become hostile, Zula could only hope they don't show up in their numbers. She didn't know how large the Dragonford pack was but in any case a fight between 4-5 wolves was enough of a blood bath. They didn't need any more. 

Zula cringed a little. 

"I have always been a neutral party in this, I think Valeska knows that and doesn't expect us to pick sides. She probably likes us for it." she for one had always been open minded and Valeska had always given her the same treatment, even when something as touchy as religion had come into it. She respected Zula's gods, just as she respected her Priestess'. It was mutual. This would be no different and if anything, being at the trial would mean each of them could form their own opinions.

Murder was... difficult. 

It could have been manslaughter had the victim actually been the attacker. You could claim anyone was a murderer when the wolf who started it all was lying on the floor having fought their last battle. Nothing more messy than somebody caught at the scene of the crime while outsiders could only see the blood on your lips and the body on the floor. It was a story nobody but the murderer knew, you could witness it from afar but not truly be in the moment of life and death. If this girl had started this conflict, it would be her own fault, not Vendrussell's. 

It would free the leader of all allegations – for now. A vengeful party was never happy settling when their child had been ripped from their clutches, wrongly or rightfully. 

"Selfishly... I shouldn't admit this, but the only thing on my mind is getting members of Elysium to safety. I don't care for strangers dragging others into their conflicts so if this goes south, I want the Priestess out of there for it gets bloody." Zula almost spoke monotonously, militant in her hushed declaration. It had started off almost worried but ended with strength. She knew what she was going to do, the rest of the parties were not much her worry but definitely a final thoughts. She'd go back if she had to but her pack came first. Her family.

Not theirs.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

Paladin
11-03-2022, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2022, 09:41 PM by Tallulah. Edited 2 times in total.)
"It ain't selfish."

If anything it was admirable. To have such loyalty that you'd risk everything to get your friends, and your family, out of harm's way. She knew that devotion. She was thankful Nick wasn't going to be there, so she wouldn't have to make difficult choices. While she could easily make a plan with Urszula, she would rather Nick be out of harm's way for this. He was too new in the pack to be dragged into politics. It was not fair to him. She cared too much about his safety.

"I'll do the same" she uttered "yer a bit bigger, so ya can focus on Ms. Valeska. I got little Dimitri" Tallulah began "but if things go south - quick like - grab who ya can and just protect em" She trailed off, hoping it would not come to that "bad feelin' aside, I hope this goes smoothly" She bit a sigh back "fer everyone's sake." Vendrussel probably knew things would be this way, that punishment would come for her crime against the other pack. It was a wonder the dragon woman didn't flee.

But she also had a pack to lead, and if she did, her members would be up shit's creek too. "Now," she puffed her neck fur out against the chilly air "how's bout we do a bit of huntin'? Course not on Duskguard land, but outside t' Vale." She offered freely, considering they were the same rank.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
12-05-2022, 09:40 PM
Short reply to move this along and archive as it's been a while! Zula do just be strategising.

What the hunter spoke of was smart. A plan of action if it all headed south. The she-wolf could only nod in agreement, humming in her head as she pondered the statistics in hopes to be a few steps ahead of whatever happened. To plan for everything in hopes that it would all run smoothly. If she were to grab Valeska and Tallulah, Zula would have to make sure she remained behind the three of them, herding them away - ushering them to safety while keeping the worst off of their flanks. If they were to be separated... Well, it couldn't be helped, she would have to aim to reconvene but the likelihood was she would be on her own and her life would be on the line if she didn't protect herself. 

The hair on the back of her neck ruffled like feathers, stiffening as she stared into the distance with a faraway look in her eye. When Tallulah offered to go hunting, it was like a bucket of water washed over her and with a soft, almost weary, smile presented itself on her maw. 

"That would be nice... Please, lead the way." her voice was a hushed utterance, deflated but willing to shake this feeling of fear.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

scroll to top