Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
a quick little break

Evening Partly Cloudy
AW
10-07-2022, 12:55 AM
He left behind Temperate, traveling directly north to this cove. Tate didn't know much about this world still, but he was eager to learn all he could. Walking to the outskirts of a mountain region, he didn't know the locals called it Stone Mountain. Still within the cove, but close enough to see more of the world beyond... A wonderful feeling. He would need to settle for the night or decide if he could travel further.

Having eaten before he came to this region, he had nothing else to do. Hunting felt like he was wasting resources others needed. No, he'd scout the Cove and find somewhere safe to sleep. And off he went! Tate walked back, skirting the line between the eroding hill and the water. He kept his nose piqued for any new smells. Perhaps he could avoid some trouble if he did... Hopefully. He didn't feel like running into any apex predators here.

Finding a nice little cave by the upper east side, he stopped at the entrance. "Hello?" he would call within. Anyone home?

the staff team luvs u
10-07-2022, 10:22 PM
Mysteriously, Malila awoke to find herself back in a realm she had visited before. Albeit, all too briefly. With a start and a flinch of her lean body, she jerked herself upright. Wide eyed and wary, ears flicking this way and that like little satellite dishes. Someone was outside and she, of all places, was here in this cave. She struggled to find her voice, her vocal chords weak from lack of use in so long.

By her paws, unacknowledged for now, was the intact body of a rabbit. By some stroke of ridiculous luck, her hunting skills must have gotten better. Or, it was just that. Pure luck alone. She called out in reply, a soft woof. Further towards the light she stepped, cautiously. She was very much on the defensive, tail tucked tight against her right thigh, body huddled low while uncertainty riddled her mismatched eyes.
the staff team luvs u
10-07-2022, 10:48 PM
A yearling, or close to an adult's age, stepped out. She seemed to be terrified if he had to guess. Tate lowered his own tail, his stance becoming less intimidating — though that was subconscious since he never was if he could help it. Perhaps he looked threatening? Maybe. He didn't have a mirror to look at himself. "Oh, hi" he smiled brightly, tagging his lowered tail "sorry - is that your home?"

He smelt rabbit meat from within. She had hunted or dragged her food back to her home. Perhaps she was bunkering down here? If so he didn't want to disturb her or force her to share a den with him. He was a stranger. She didn't have to do anything she didn't want to do. "I was just looking for shelter" Tate began again "if this is your place, do you know the Cove well? Could you point me to a new cave?" He left it at that.

No reason to overwhelm her.

the staff team luvs u
10-10-2022, 01:06 AM
With a slight jolt, Malila realized what sort of impression she must have been giving off to this total stranger. Fortunately he seemed friendly, trying to disarm her in case he had made offense. Gathering her composure as best as she could, she shook her head. "Oh n-no...it isn't." Her unused voice was light. "I just...happened to wake up inside. Have no idea how, though." Her puzzlement was clear.

Only now, did she catch the whiff of the rabbit. She made no attempt to guard it or turn back to her meal. The wolf before her was more interesting. Slowly she padded forward, one step at a time. Her gait began to show her character, which was quite harmless. "I am afraid I can't help you about the Cove. But if it is shelter you need, I don't see the harm in helping you look?" She offered, trying for a classic Malila, shy smile.
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-10-2022, 06:40 AM
ooc; archivist skill

He tilts his head. So she just woke up here? Ah, that could explain the timid behavior... "Well, at least you woke up in a cave. It's private" Tate chuckled, glancing over his shoulder below them. Temperate was behind him now! "I woke in a glade of some sort" He tells the other "anyone could have come across me sleeping. It's pretty disturbing of a thought." He flashed an uneasy smile, wondering how he had gotten lucky.

But she explains she didn't know the location much. He began to shrug until she offered to help search. Really, it was no skin off his back. She didn't have to, but Tate knew arguing with her would probably have a share of problems. He didn't like problems. "Well, sure. If you're okay with that" His tail wagged again "my name is Tate, by the way" It'd be silly not to introduce themselves when they were going to walk around together "thank you for helping me look."

the staff team luvs u
10-11-2022, 06:40 PM
So, he woke up in this new world too. But in a glade. "It seems luck may have been on your side that you are still here, then." She commented with another small smile. Slowly, Malila felt herself starting to relax. This guy really didn't seem like the threatening type at all. Her tail began to mirror the wagging motion of his own. "I don't mind at all. If anything, I can get a better sense of the area while I am at it."

She had no idea if there were any other available caves or places for a wolf to hunker down in. They would find out together and sharing a bit of company while at it couldn't hurt. "Tate huh?" Her blue and yellow eyes twinkled. "I am Malila." She peeked ahead to scan the carved trails, while the lake loomed below. "So um, where haven't you looked yet?" That seemed like a good enough starting point.
the staff team luvs u
10-11-2022, 11:22 PM
"You're gonna laugh, but" Tate began, rolling his eyes playfully "but this cave was the first place I checked." He backed away to allow Malila her room, turning his body away from her to look where she was. Seemed a ton of new places to search, and he felt exhausted - but excited.

It was part of why he hoped she was versed with this location. It'd cut down on searching time, and be quicker to find some shelter before the sun went down. "Lead the way, Malila?" he offered but would be close by in case something went at them. Two wolves weren't the best prey, but desperate predators could attack them. Even if one wolf was an easier target.

"I'll be here, following, obviously." His eyes twinkled with amusement.

the staff team luvs u
10-16-2022, 08:39 PM
She cracked another smile, amused. "And you found me, with the cave already occupied." She shook her head, the look in her eyes and on her face showing that she was just playing. "Really though, I dunno if I will be using it all that long." It was left to be implied that he was free to have it if they could not find another option.

As she moved past, the trail she took was wide enough only to accommodate one wolf at a time. And, with her petite build and delicate little paws, she was clearly not made for such rugged terrain. She even took her time, stepping gingerly. Her eyes darted every once in a while to the rocky walls, searching. "So Tate...is it just you here? Any family? Friends?"
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-17-2022, 12:59 AM
ooc; archivist skill

She wasn't as nervous as he first assumed. Malila was able to jest, which spoke that he hadn't scared her too badly — or was doing a good job of non-threatening behavior. "Plan on moving on?" Tate asked her for the sake of conversation "I just came from the region below us. It's more... I want to say 'tropical'. Humid, dense... Less spacious than this place." He gave her information he knew.

He nods at her question. "As far as I am aware; I am the only one of my family here" But "I have a younger brother, pride and joy of the family. A mother and father, too. But I left them not long ago. Came here. Or rather, found myself here." He shrugged as they walked. He found the opening of a small den and bent his head. The entrance was hidden by lichen and moss. But it wasn't big enough for him to be comfortable.

He moved on. "Vagabond life suits me better than staying in one place, with expectations piled on me." He backed out and turned, a fleeting grin.

the staff team luvs u
10-17-2022, 01:50 AM
"Eventually, yes. Maybe not too soon, since I just met you. If you want to hang out a bit more?" Now she was really coming around. More of her true personality shone through. Her words came easier. Tate seemed nice, and as a newcomer she sure could use a friendly face. "I'm...not exactly used to areas like this. I grew up on softer, more open grounds."

Which led her easily to her next point, while she listened to how he mentioned his family. Just like her. "I have none to speak of..." The soft lines of her face grew slightly sad. "My brother left long ago. Then my father and mother not long after." She glanced back to watch him examine his find, but it was a hard pass. "I've tried settling in multiple places before...but I could never fit in...get comfortable, ya know?"
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-18-2022, 12:43 AM
ooc; archivist skill

She offered companionship — at least for a while. He was sure she'd be slowed down by his whimsical drifting eventually, but the offer was appreciated. "I'm not doing anything else, so sure." He laughed easily. It was better than what he had gotten through random encounters so far. Nickolai had been nice, true but the others were rather hit or miss.

Malila spoke of her home, of being accustomed to wider spaces. So maybe not dense foliage like woods, but maybe a grove? "Like a grassland?" He asked, angling his neck into a soft tilt. He frowned once she admitted she had no one either "well, the great thing about this place is... It gives you a chance. You just have to figure out what you want, and that's the hard part." He smiled softly.

"Getting away from my family was a dream come true. But I can't speak for everyone else" he shrugged "I just want to be free for a bit. I can decide on something concrete later" Which was saying, he had no interest in packs. At least right now "whatever comes, comes naturally. No need to force belonging anywhere."

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top