Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
house, not a home

Morning Overcast
AW
Ecologist
Medic
10-02-2022, 09:47 PM
The rocks stretched high above his head. Ragged, jagged... Like a dagger, if a wolf knew what one was like. Nature kept the Sepulcher toned. The rain and the storms added to the shape over time. Bae gazed up at the rocky crops with a fading interest, committing their shape to memory before moving on. He had claimed a den near the south of the location, secluded and unaware. Perhaps prying eyes glanced that way once or twice. Surely Vendrussel told them they had a new member.

So he did not expect stupid questions or territorial wolves encroaching on his 'home' yet. Bae was casually outside of this den, rolling stocks of moss to keep in storage. He had gathered it previously along the coast, but the rain would soak most of them before he could properly transport them back. It was an easy enough fix. He used his paws, the nails curling the moss before he placed another paw on top, flattening it. Removing the moisture with a gentle squeeze.

He barely looked up when another approached him. Their scent told him they were of the Ford, so he didn't acknowledge a trespasser. If they were just moving on, he let them be. But perhaps they were more curious about the new face. Sigh. He didn't like these social dances...

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 59631057_gcZT0fbEQJ1yZ2Q.png]
IF YOU CAN'T FIX WHAT'S BROKEN
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
10-03-2022, 06:44 PM
Dragonford didn't have many medics for quite some time. There was @Kei, who she remembered with their general knowledge helped Vendrussel heal her leg ; but they had to find an expert on the outside, that came and helped, then never saw again. There was also @Valtyr, but he was still a learning boy and they had no mentor to give — very lacking in expertise medical knowledge and all that there was, was superficial that most wolves generally knew. She wondered how that shadow was doing, and whether the dragon of the east was settling well within her journey, and found a place she belong to. The blue-wolf though missed her friend, wholly hoped she was well.

However such worries were momentarily put aside, for one of the newcomers, the Wildfire Dragon — claimed to have such knowledge. A breath of fresh air and less of a worry if anyone had worse injuries. Olympia and Ghost were hurt by boars but thankfully tended to ; and those who fought within the battle all held nothing but minor scraps. So far, only she had the worst of it all, which was a broken leg.. Though Belial suffered the most in the end, for his grave sat within the cave.

She saw that same fellow in the distance, he was tending.. Something medical, "hey there Baelfire," she said greeting, "you settling in well?"

the staff team luvs u
Medic
10-03-2022, 07:03 PM
She decided to speak.

Bae glanced up, though at the moment she was on his blind side. Thankfully he knew her scent, else he would have become confused. Vendrussel asked if he was settling in, a courtesy New Caledonia hadn't given him. They more or less threw him into suspicion of his peers at the time — he didn't blame them. It had been a difficult time for the whole pack. He glanced to the other side, so his red eye could look properly at the leader.

It was a bit of an awkward angle.

"Well enough," he said quietly "I could not find a herb cache, so I am making one" He placed his paw off the moss and with his other, put it to the side of the pile. The, ah, dry pile. "moss is a constant in any treatment... Though it looks unremarkable to some" It could bring water to the bed of a healing patient. It could soak up the blood. It could bind wounds as part of a poultice. A universal duty "do you have a preference for the cache's location? I would prefer it near my den, though not in it..." 

Honestly, he didn't want any wannabe healers coming in and out of his den at all hours. Though he also preferred them not going in at all, if they didn't know what they were doing. They could easily take something toxic.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
11-01-2022, 05:03 PM
"We do not have many medics. There was a time when I was injured and we lacked, resorting to outside help." She explained so for his understanding that their department that comes with herbs and so was severely underwhelming, "we have @Valtyr but he still young." She imagined he kept the sources within his own den as well, though with the watching of a young child, perhaps he moved it.. It was a shame to say she had little knowledge of the matter, and gave him a strained smile realizing that perhaps as a leader she should've thought and looked more carefully at the matter. She was glad though, he was here to help that.

"Perhaps near our water source?" She said, a blue eye gazing toward it's direction, "I don't know if it's near your den but near fresh water, I imagine it'd help."

the staff team luvs u
Medic
11-01-2022, 06:17 PM
He nodded. "If any seek to learn, direct them to me" he replied quietly "I will build the cache in the meantime, and treat any injuries I find out about." Bae knew some new communities didn't trust 'medic folk' by reputation alone. He understood this; why allow just anyone to talk about herbs and healing but also not know what they were doing? They could do a lot more harm than good. 

The aspect of Dragonford not having many healers was both a blessing and a curse. It meant he'd work more, and harder... But that was the blessing part. A curse was that he lacked suitable students to spread the trade. Some went into the skill set trying to be helpful and useful to a pack. They didn't have the knack for it. The touch. He didn't like teaching just anyone. Fickle students were not good students, in his opinion.

"It would be useful to offer lessons in quick first aid" he added after the silence "anyone would benefit from some proper training, especially if I cannot get to a patient in time. It could prevent something from becoming worse."

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
11-01-2022, 07:39 PM
She hummed for a moment, when she thought of anyone that would be interested or had some ability to heal, there was a few that came to mind, "@Ghost might be interested. Sometimes I catch them looking at plants, although it's hard to say what they are thinking." Like the young prince who was from Cloudrest, it was sometimes difficult to heed what he was thinking. He was so young to pick up doctorate traits as well, but nonetheless was part of the Ford and it's medical team ; now alongside with Baelfire.

"@Chasm is not so adept at more physical work, perhaps they would be interested." She nodded to his statement, generally agreeing it'd be of use, especially in the warring times. The more that new basics was easier for those who knew even more to tend toward the more serious injuries. Her time with a broken leg was not that pleasant, and if wasn't for her friend and a medic who roamed the land.. She'd surely have something of a crippled leg.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
11-01-2022, 10:06 PM
He ponders the names, storing them away for potential future use. But Vendrussel seemed to take his suggestion at direct value, instead of the subtle hint. "The whole pack could benefit from lessons" Bae felt it was his fault, for not being equally direct "if there is a border skirmish or an accident, and someone is injured... They may call for me, but if I fail to get there in time, they could probably stop at least blood flow with some former tips." Predators, almost drowning in the waves, the Sepulcher was a hazard of 'waiting to happen' to the unprepared.

"Though I would not force them" Obviously "to attend such things. They would not have to be in the medical field, just learn first aid in a general and understandable way. To lessen the load of potential healers I could train" Ghost and Chasm were not a unit of healers that the Ford could have at ready. Not yet, and also not in those numbers. He would at least count three, including himself, for every five wolves the Ford had. "it is merely a suggestion." A good one, but also not mandatory for the pack or Vendrussel to accept. Organizing an 'event' would be difficult in wartime.

Holding back-to-back lessons was something he was used to though. They needn't all show up at once. But if they were able to find time, he could scout potential learners for himself. Vendrussel didn't have to do everything. She was understandably a busy woman.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
11-06-2022, 10:27 PM
She hummed lightly in a thought and nodded, "perhaps a day we could have a pack lesson. As you said it could be of use." Many wolves usually knew the general methods of hunting, healing, and fighting. It is what made a wolf, though many often took an interest in one of the three or otherwise a misc. subject altogether. Some were better then others, but she had the agreement it was useful if everyone had at least a general idea of what to do in such situations, and what could mark as a dangerous herb, and what was not.

Although such times would be difficult, "although it may be hard to gather all for the meanwhile, maybe just word of possible lessons will gain an interest to some." Her tail flickered as she thought of the upcoming court session that would soon come.. She did not wish to burden their minds even more to those who were less willing, or generally uncaring to the method.

However it was a serious thought, especially to what happens after.. For war, could be at their door.

the staff team luvs u
11-06-2022, 11:28 PM
It would be difficult, yes. But at least Vendrussel had the sense to agree it was useful to do for Dragonford. He nodded, leaving it at that. As to her 'trial', he was not aware of it currently but was perceptive to know something weighed on her mind. He locked his good eye on her, a soft frown escaping his otherwise stoic expression.

"I know I just joined" he began, shifting his weight to become comfortable "and you do not know me at all, nor have reason to trust me" Bae admitted this easily, used to suspicion in new places "but if you need an ear at any time... I am available to be spoken to. I'll even shut up" he remarked with a huff of amusement "if you don't want advice."

Though he would inwardly give it, all the same. It was difficult to remain impartial at times. Bae turned back to the moss, rolling it into a thin strip so to store it easier. It was a proper subtle sign; if Vendrussel had other things to do, she could excuse herself. She didn't need to keep him company all day.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
scroll to top