Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
sound of the drums

Morning Partly Cloudy
P
Hunter
09-25-2022, 11:31 PM
He didn't expect nor assume @Edith was still around. Despite the girl probably living close by, he had no aspirations to seek her out. If he saw her, he saw her. Bran held a heavy acceptance of not seeing many he had already in the near future. They had their own lives; they did not need to entertain him. Others could easily assume he was distancing himself from a need to avoid the dramatics down the road. They wouldn't be totally wrong.

The herd of wild horses thundered past him. They didn't seem in fear of the wolf among the grass, safety in their numbers, and strength in their legs. They could easily kick him away. Bran eyed them for any weakness, but most were strong and able. He continued on, stalking a smaller quarry and finding the scent of boar heavy with the scent of blood. Lowering his body, he moved along the tall foliage and spied a sizable boar limping. Bran took all of three seconds to decide.

He burst out of the grass, aiming a chomp at the bloody hind of the male boar. There was a flash of brown out of the corner of his eye, but he focused on bringing down the swine first.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 9499574_uiTsbKbAofAwJY7.png]
STANDING AT THE GATES OF HELL
STILL WANTING MORE MORE MORE
Hunter
10-05-2022, 08:27 PM
Edith was around, and she was as antsy as ever. Her range encapsulated the entire Temperate at this point, and she felt like she couldn't be in one place for too long. She tried to be productive when she was away from home and tended to focus on hunting so that she could bring something back to the pack. 

She had discovered Godbrand's trail a few miles back, and with nothing currently on her agenda, she decided to pursue it. When she caught up to him, she found him lunging at an injured boar, and she knew that she had to interfere; he couldn't do this alone. She raced towards the predator and prey with her fangs bore. As much as she wanted to go for its neck, she knew the risk was far greater than the reward as there was a good chance the animal would strike her. Instead, she aimed toward the opposite hind leg and bit down hard, hoping to break it.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-05-2022, 09:06 PM
With the girl distracting it momentarily, attaching herself to a leg, Bran let go of the swine's back. He tried to circle to the side but stopped. The boar cried or screamed in its language, and turned its head to look at Edith. Bran felt the usual protective surge when he saw someone in danger — especially one he knew. He let out a rumbling growl, having stopped half-circle around to the front of the prey.

He had a split second before Edith was probably impaled by the tusks. Using his weight, he grabbed a meaty section of a front leg and pulled. Away from the girl, away to the side. It veered haphazardly toward him from the force. He sucked in a breath, having thankfully missed being gorged himself. Bran had let go once the pig almost collided with him, side-stepping away from the tusks. It was too close for comfort though. He snapped warningly at the boar.

The hopeful prey oinked and tried to charge off. If Edith still held a leg, it'd find that it was cut off from escape. Bran, close enough, raised his body to drape around the side of the boar. He dove his muzzle somewhere near it's neck, biting and tearing. Back and forth, his muzzle whipped like a dog with a chew toy.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-13-2022, 09:11 PM
With Godbrand's grip released the pig had one antagonizer to focus its attention on. Edith looked her prey in the eyes, frightened and mesmerized by the beast, as it turned towards her. She knew that her escape window was closing; she needed to make a move before she got impaled. She let go and back peddled as her hunting partner began pulling the leg opposite her. "Godbran!" she hissed, watching as the hog swayed, "Be careful!" 

It then began to make its escape, and Edith knew that she couldn't allow that. She re-latched onto the leg and bit down hard, hoping to hold it back while Godbrand went at its neck. She knew he was risking quite a bit being slow close to its tusks, and she would never dare to put herself in that situation, but she'd support him the best she could.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-13-2022, 10:16 PM
If Edith thought he was being reckless, it was probably true. She didn't seem the type to waste her words on casual things. Bran sucked in a breath as the boar swayed, with the girl clamped down hard. He growled against the meaty flesh, all muscle and, no artery. It was a bit difficult with just two wolves but he refused to relent; especially admit defeat.

The blood pooled deeper now, a stream of crimson. The boar staggered under his weight and plopped to the ground, its belly hitting dirt and grass. He growled against it, managing to secure vital spots to bite after thrashing. It squealed one final time before becoming almost still. Flopping to its side, it admitted defeat for them.

Bran let go of the neck after a final bite, severing an important part of the boar's life. He panted hard, jaws and neck stained with blood. But they won, in the sense they had felled prey. Not in any actual victory — just another day to prove they had the skills to survive. A breezy sigh escaped the hog as it died. He stood near, licking his lips.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-13-2022, 10:43 PM
Edith let go and backed away once the hog fell onto its side. Godbrand seemed to have things under control, but she would jump in if that changed. 

Its final squeak rang in her ears as she watched it still. Although she was glad they were able to take it down, he had been reckless in the way he had taken it down. 

"You could have died," she warned, looking at him, "This isn't the right time to hunt boar—especially when you're alone." She frowned. "We'll do it at night next time. They have poor eyesight and have a hard time seeing then." She exhaled and took a deep breath. 

"Good job—but don't do that again or you'll get yourself killed."

the staff team luvs u
10-13-2022, 10:51 PM
She scolded him. He had the sense to pin his ears, but he did protest somewhat. "It was going to gorge you" Bran pointed out quietly. Not that she needed the help, but... He did not know any healers out here to turn to — and fast. If she got hurt, he could do nothing for her in the wilds "I tried to distract it from targeting you."

But he knew he had behaved recklessly all the same. Edith remarked they would do it right next time. He lifted a brow at the girl. Next time? "If I got hurt, you could have run to someone you knew to be a healer" he added, speaking with some guilt "I do not know your medicine wolves in Elkshire." If it had to be him or Edith, he would prefer logically to get hurt.

"But you are right. I apologize." He didn't want to make her pissed off at him.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-13-2022, 11:03 PM
"It was going to gorge you" Godbrand pointed out. Edith lifted a brow and studied him for a moment as he continued to defend himself. She was thankful that he had stepped in to protect her, but she knew she didn't need to be saved. She would have let go, and that would have been that. But he didn't know her that well—they'd only met once, and they hadn't gotten to know each other that well. 

She nodded to his apology, feeling no need to drag this part of their conversation. 

"Well—go ahead," she encouraged him, pointing towards the hog, "Get your fill before I decide to cut you in line." 

"Or worse—before it springs back to life and we have to kill it again." Although she was being facetious, Edith always anticipated the unexpected, and she already had a plan: they would break its legs and leave it to bleed out. There would be no need to risk their lives for it, as the hardest part of their work had already been completed.

the staff team luvs u
10-13-2022, 11:15 PM
She let it drop, and offered him the first 'cut' of the meat. Bran blinked once before moving closer. He took a chunk of meat before retreating. Elkshire seemed far away if Edith wasn't going to drag it back to her community. He'd make sure to eat more than a slice or two. No use wasting the boar they worked hard to kill. "Hmm, that would make a good story," he remarked quietly at her jest of it being revived. A terrible story, one of the nightmares of a predator; an undying prey animal. He considered his next words carefully, knowing she had dropped the apology with a nod and that was that. He eventually dropped the whole 'I know you can protect yourself' spiel. 

She didn't want nor need to hear it. It wasn't because he felt she could not. He reacted on instinct, and it was true; he had been reckless and almost even believed he was better off injured. He glanced up. Edith reminded him of his mother. A stubborn, headstrong but also jovial being. "You said next time" he uttered, confused "does that mean you would like to hunt again?" His eyes did lighten somewhat, even if his stone-faced expression remained. Had he, perhaps, even made a friend? Greenwood was fine, but he felt sometimes a bit out of place there. Maybe he should consider other options.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-14-2022, 12:35 AM
”It would,” she agreed. Nobody would believe them if it actually happened, either. It was amusing to think about, and she mused over it with a faint smile and a sway of her tail.

Edith’s thoughts were interrupted by his question. Godbrand asked about what she had said—about them hunting again later—and he sounded confused by it. ”Well … yeah,” she said slowly. What was so hard to understand about that? ”The High Elk brought me back to you for this hunt—I’m assuming he has some sort of plan for you and I.” She didn’t know what the plan entailed, but their meetings had been productive and beneficial.

”Especially since you’re like me—” she reiterated from their previous conversation, ”—blessed and cherished by Him.” She felt the need to explain again since it seemed like he was easy to confuse.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-14-2022, 12:52 AM
"I assumed since we lived so far away from each other," he began slowly, an amused huff escaping his lips "and me being older than you — that you would not want to associate with an old man." And this time, he was of course joking. She also seemed confused or bewildered by his question, but he didn't point it out. Instead, she powered through or rather assumed, bossed, and decided for him.

He did not really care though. "At least the High Elk favors me" he mused, recoiling his amusement because this was a serious topic of discussion "I cannot say the same for those outside of this world." His mother had been on and off with her beliefs, telling him casually and then seriously. It all depended on the mood and situation. Bran didn't believe she was without faith even to this day. He does know somewhat but also does not.

Perhaps if she was here, she would be cherished too. Her coat had been brown of all colors. Her eyes were a pinkish hue. Softer than Edith's red. "Perhaps He in His wisdom has decided a path for me outside of Greenwood."

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-14-2022, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2022, 01:47 AM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
”Age is only a number,” Edith reminded Godbrand. ”As long as you’re able to hunt and defend yourself—it doesn’t matter how old you are.” She shrugged; she would never let a number get in the way of her ambition.

"At least The High Elk favors me,” he revealed, ”I cannot say the same for those outside of this world." Although the wolves outside of this world didn’t matter to her, she was curious what he’d done to garner such a reputation. ”I wouldn’t worry about them,” she said dismissively. ”They’re not here.”

She was surprised by his revelation. ”I think that you’re right,” she admitted. ”That’s why He brought me to you again.”

”I think He’s trying to bring you to Elkshire.”

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-14-2022, 01:40 AM
He snorted, lifting a brow. "So what you are saying is; when I am old and feeble and unable to discern, you don't want to be friends?" If she had no problem with his older age — some yearlings did, he found in the past — then it shouldn't matter. He was only joking anyway. Edith seemed to have a level head and was wise beyond her young age. He already knew that.

"They are not, yes" he murmured, glancing at where he knew gods to watch from. The stars, the heavens. Valhalla "but they also never bothered with me before" Bran admitted to Edith "perhaps that is why I know them only in stories and song — and not personally." He didn't have a very strong religious compass to the Norse gods anyway. The girl admitted she would bring him to Elkshire. He gave a thoughtful nod.

It wasn't that simple.

"I will think upon it" he admitted "leaving another community is harder than arriving as a vagabond" He didn't have many ties to Greenwood, but he had enjoyed looking out for Vermillion a bit "I will have to inform my current leader."

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-14-2022, 02:04 AM
”That’s exactly what I’m saying,” Edith agreed. ”Once you’re unable to fight—you’re dead to me.” Although her tone was teasing, she meant every word she said.

Godbrand was being extremely vague about his situation, and she didn’t care enough to entertain his concern. He was here and they were … wherever they were. She didn’t understand why it was a big deal and didn’t bother to ask.

Although he hadn’t agreed outright, Godbrand seemed to have an order of events that needed to happen. ”Well,” she said, ”Once you do that come looking for me. I’ll be around this area—hunting.” She knew that his path led to Elkshire.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-14-2022, 02:40 AM
"Then you will have the honor of ending my life."

He meant it in a jest, despite his serious features. Bran didn't want to be old and feeble; the thought of living past eight years alone was enough to sway him into an honorable death. He had every intention of following through with someone killing him. However grim that was, he did not seem to care.

Nor did he care if Edith was bossing him around. Honestly, he needed someone to do it. He flickered through life on a whim, ambition dying easily in Greenwood. There was no one that expected him to do much but his 'duty' as a pack wolf. He wanted more out of life. If Edith could provide direction, he'd take it.

No — if the High Elk provided, he would take it.

"I will seek out my alpha and discuss it" he murmured, more to himself than the girl. The two would finish eating in relative silence, only chatting here and there. Bran did not mind, and even ate more than enough for the travel back to the Plains. Once finished, he would bid Edith farewell and walk back. His thoughts were a bit clear now. 

/exit

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top