Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
lone sojourner

Evening Overcast
P
Duskguard
Adventurer
09-19-2022, 04:33 PM
ooc; again, not over the border lol for @Aries this time

Another day, another meet. Hopefully. She would not be averse to meeting an old acquaintance. Chuffing, this time she'd greet them with some food. The arctic hare was not hunted on Duskguard's land, but she hoped to add it to their cache. Honestly, she hadn't snuck into another pack either for it! She happened to find it between the Vale and a wooded area in the near distance. Chasing the prey down, she would hop-skip back.

It was just polite to bring something to a 'house' you visited. She assumed so, anyway. "Hello," she called out more vocally, tail wagging as she spotted a pale woman along the border. Was she patrolling? Nikki sat up straighter, not a toe over the border. Surely by now, Duskguard would universally know she was here to visit? She didn't think Genghis was the type to inform others, but Lady Olive could have. She didn't mind either, this gossip! "I'm Nikita, here to tell fortunes to the good wolves of Duskguard."

And. And! "I'm also here to talk. It can be lonely on the road sometimes."

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-23-2022, 12:19 AM
She had heard there was a fortune teller visiting! Aries was mighty curious.. She knew of Priests and so, soothsayers that would speak of times and even on occasion would there be rumors of so. Some would read fortunes, of the future and the past, and fate of love alike.. She adored hearing them, but much of the time the woman wasn't sure what to believe, there was always a wariness when she heard of bad luck, and a holding of breath for what was good — but there was always some skeptical, especially when some.. Would say they were from the heavens itself. She was a woman who believed in the Gods, was heretical not to wholly trust? She wasn't sure.

Was this a woman of readings, or a woman of God? Which fortunes, was she interested in?

"Hello," Aries greeted back with a smile, "I am quite interested in your fortunes.. Perhaps I could have mine read?"

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-23-2022, 11:10 PM
"Why, of course!" Nikki positively beamed. That the woman interested in the fortunes was not uncommon - she found females had a more open mind than men sometimes. Her tail wagged, thudding against the earth. She gave a gentle hum, tilting her head. "If you could please bring me four items?"

A pause, before she explained. "Each is a representation of yourself in another time" Paused again "it does not matter what the items are, because if I asked you to fetch certain ones... Well, we'd be here all day" A soft giggle "just anything that makes your stomach flip when you first gaze on it. A certain, ah, pull to it. Don't doubt this. Just bring it back."

She nodded, hoping that was a good enough request right now.

the staff team luvs u
09-28-2022, 05:06 AM
"Items you say.. I will be right back then!" With so, Aries would turn her back to the fortune teller and return to the inner sanctions of Duskguard. She would head toward her head, a small cave that was barely covered by a hanging tree ; enough where she felt was appropriate to sleep in, but close to the medic den that she prepared. Within it firstly, she took a look around — a variety of items hung that were both of use and uselessness, but nonetheless something important to her.

A feather dropped by @Ookpik, a dried Arctic Rose from her time with @Gala and.. She grabbed but another plant, a lavender that let the den smelled pleasantly and as the teller said, made her heart flutter. She would gather this all within the forth item, her satchel of a caribou hide. All items that in one way or another brought her a drawing to one way or another, before returning back to the other.

She would chuff to announce her return after but half an hour or so, the estimate of. Dropping her items in front of her with a smile. 

"Ah, I never introduced myself.. I am Aries, a pleasure."

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-28-2022, 02:44 PM
Waiting beyond the border, she straightened when Aries returned. A pleasant and whimsical smile crossed her features. "It is nice to meet you, Aries." Strange, such a soft woman had the name of a deity of war... She chose to ignore this and focus - but it'd soon became apparent as to why.

War was often male in creation. All sorts of gods labeled themselves 'of war or death or blood or victory'. But it was also a leadership quality, and she was pleasantly surprised to gleam some fortunes for Aries. She pawed the feather - her 'self'. "Like a wolf dancing on the edge of a mountain" Nikki mused "this feather dances in the wind."

And.

"You venture out of Duskguard sometimes, having a knack for meeting others and gaining new experiences" She eyed the rose, placing a paw before it "perhaps in the past, you haven't gotten what you desired but things will change" Because, she looked to the lavender - the Present "you are surrounded by those who value and support you. They will give you what you need." 

Finally. "This is reflected by your lion's heart" Caribou hide, a victory token over a hunt or gathering? "just have faith in yourself; things will change when they feel right." A promotion, new life experience, maybe even a love interest... This was all open before Aries.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-28-2022, 09:31 PM
Aries did not know her name meant another — for she knew her mother had given them English-Versions of names. She knew not of that maiden's past well, just of an origin of an English-Woman and a way to connect with her own culture, had given two names: Aries, of the constellation of a ram, and Wren, a bird found in the mountains. If she had other siblings, it was a wonder what would they be named, for no theme was there. A constellation, a bird.. Alas her mother had long since been deceased, and father slain otherwise years ago.

She listened with twinkling golden eyes, sitting on her hunches and tail curling around. Like a story, her mother would say ; but instead it was a fortune from another. Was the wind whispering within her ear? Was she able to read the law of the lands and tell how? She was a bit surprise as the other read to accurately, for parchment to wandering outside the Vale included many experiences from different wolves.. A wondering if whether the heavens granted this gift, or intuition was simply that well.

"I wasn't sure what I was expecting," Aries was honest, "but I am glad I have gotten my fortune read." She smiled in gratitude.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
Adventurer
09-28-2022, 11:10 PM
The wolves of Duskguard were warm and friendly. Eager to open themselves up to new things, as well. It did not sit with the cold air the Tundra gave off. It did not cooperate with the harsh reality of living here. Further into the Vale and the woodlands would open up like a crack, but Nikki knew she was not welcomed completely on them. Just enough to visit, tell her fortunes, and leave. The thought was almost sad.

While she would miss the wolves of Duskguard, she knew she could visit any time she was in the area. "No, no" Nikki smiled kindly "thank you for letting me gleam, Aries" A slice of paradise in every life, to be frank. It helped her be close to others for a split second or two "I think your name suits you, by the way" She said this unexpectant "I thought you had been named for the deity of war, in one pantheon." She paused.

"Though I can see it is not so. The name inspires courage and leadership in your fellows. Remember this" Nikki rose to all fours, while not eager to go she could believe Aries had other things to do. The hybrid stretched casually before the border, a soft 'hmm!' escaping her before she righted herself "names inspire others. Friends to lovers or even hated foes, and acquaintances. What you choose to identify as speaks louder than blunt actions."

She turned, tail flickering in a wave. "Make sure your precious items go back safely!" She called over her shoulder, grinning.

the staff team luvs u
09-29-2022, 03:56 AM
Her smile turned to minor confusion as she cocked her head, "There is a God of War names Aries?" there was a light flutter in her eyelashes as she looked surprise, "my mother named me after the constellation, of the ram." She remembered vaguely once when announcing her name in this land, someone had given her a rather.. Confused look. By no means, even she knew, she did not look like an Amazonian, her body was slender and took form of a huntress then any warrior of the north. 

It was like a click of mind, that held an understanding.

Just as she came like the wind, she would soon depart. Aries would rise to her paws, a light one to her chest as she bowed in minor respect toward this fortune teller ; that in truth.. She thought was perhaps a light scam or otherwise ; she could even imagine Olive lightly telling off such blasphmery to think. Inwardly she apologized to these thoughts, and knew it was best to wait and judge before that would happen.

"May your journey be safe," she would say, as the other departed.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top