Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
「✥」Oh baby, won't you remind me what I am,

Sunrise Partly Cloudy 70° F
P
Medic
09-13-2022, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2022, 09:55 PM by Kaster. Edited 2 times in total.)

Kaster felt at peace -- and not stressed out about something, for once. He smelled strongly of lavender -- having researched many plants and herbs on his lonesome, he found the violet petaled stems to have benefits in soothing the mind. The prince rested easily nowadays, ever since finding a feild of it within the mountains, and so did Phobe as she rested soundly upon his hip, snoring softly through two nostril holes that sat on her beak. Kaster had leaned over to groom the feathers on her forehead affectionately, before leaning back into his Pharoah position to watch the sun set.

The hen would rest as an owl did during the day, though Kaster was awake, yawning and stretching his forpaws with a single, simple desire to watch dawn turn into day. Just before they'd need to start moving again...

the staff team luvs u
Formation
09-15-2022, 12:56 PM
The he-wolf had nestled himself in the frosted valley, the brown of his pelt exposing the man. The only Stormguardian wolves in Cloudrest were Aruna and Wrath - he was neither. She spotted them earlier whilst marking the grounds, outlining their borders, and scattered signs of wolf inside. Wrath’s scent lingered on the mass of the trees she too pissed on, their floral aromas swirling in the air. By the time she rounded the domain, they were still there. No longer; they could stay or leave. "Enjoying the grounds, I see?” She called from behind them, watching only feet away.

An owl dozed silently on the trespasser's hip, unbothered. "— unfortunately, the vale is claimed territory, my dear." Aruna remarked, curiosity on the tip of her tongue. Stormguard could use him; he was well-built with an ease gaze, malleable.

please move this thread to cloudrest!

the staff team luvs u

10-15-2022, 02:55 AM

Kaster had noticed the wolf treading closer -- would even flick an ear at the sound of footsteps crunching amongst the grasses -- but did nothing. They could stop and look in curiosity if they so pleased, as long as they did not bother him he couldn't care less what they would've done. Kaster was a rather passive soul unless pestered afterall; yet pester is what he would've been not long after.

'Enjoying the grounds I see?'

The archer would say nothing to this -- merely turning his muzzle to regard the woman with a wary, azure gaze from over his shoulder. Pheobe's head swiveled to meet the sound of a femme's voice, yet only an eye opened in curiosity. 'Unfortunately, the vale is claimed territory, my dear.' -- He clicked his teeth, annoyed now that he realized what this was all about. Clearly he was being asked to leave, whether by threat or not the prince could not tell, but it didn't matter when he already understood the meaning behind such words.

He stood up to shake his fur off, with the calmitity upon his face now replaced by the persistent wrinkled brows and frown worn upon his face like a stone plaster. Kaster did not feel like arguing territory matters or allowing the lady to ruin one of the rare good moods he'd gather every once in a while, the woodland boy would stand to gather Phobe onto his back and attempt to leave, with intentions on walking past the woman and giving her what she wanted. Yet his feathered companion would have other plans.

Phobe was fully awake now -- yet decided she didn't wish to leave the heavenly vale they'd stumbled upon. So with a few objective hoots, her wings unfurled from her side to take her into flight -- halfway in the middle of Kaster walking past the silver valed valkirey .

--and would land to perch on the she-wolf's back instead.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
10-16-2022, 04:51 AM
The bay twitched, attentive even as he neared rest. He regarded her silently with brief bow of his head, careful to not disturb the owl attached to his hip — literally. A single, golden eye opened to stare, inquisitive. Aruna hadn’t met many owls in her life, not on a personal level.

The male tsked, as if she were to blame for reinstating the obvious. Silver eyes narrowed, blinking rapidly for a mere moment. Irritation chewed at her, disdain sitting on her tongue, begging for release-

Nothing.

Maintain your composure, her mother whispered, forcing down malice for a later time. He stood to leave, but his feathered friend wasn’t so keen.

The flutter of wind brushed her ears faintly, the avian’s wings splayed as she approached. Sharp talons found their place alone Aruna’s spine, prompting slight bewilderment. “I think someone wants to stay.“ Such an elegant creature belonged here, after all. ”I suppose there’s no harm in it, allowing a bird and wolf to stay for a while?”

the staff team luvs u

10-16-2022, 02:24 PM

His heart nearly sank to the bottom of his chest, turning to see what he damn well hoped didn't just happen -- Pheobe landing on the woman’s back.

Pheobe was a target for predators as much as she was one herself , and for that reason he trusted absolutely no one around her. Kaster was highly protective of his travel companion, and it was one of the main reasons did everythingin his power to drive other wolves away from his space whenever he she was around. Well...Pheobe being around or not did not change Kaster's dickish behavior towards others, but it did grow stronger whenever they were together.

Pheobe. The man hissed through clenched teeth towards the hen, muscles taut and practically frozen to the ground. This was clearly a threat of some sort, he believed -- revenge for his earlier behavior. He feared if he made any sudden moves, the silver valkyrie would surely attempt to harm the owl in retaliation. He was already aggravated as it was, but....stayed calm. Clearly Pheobe wasn't budging, and the archer had no choice but to put aside his pride for now.

“No.....no there isn't....”

Meanwhile, the owless took keen interest in her new perch, her vulpine partner felt like he was about to explode.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Adventurer
10-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Soft fur bellowed against the woman's cheek, tickling her chin. The brown man released a strained recall for his companion, but to no avail. "She's alright," she uttered, eyes dancing to the other wolf before returning to the owless.

The queen stepped softly, careful not to disturb her new accessory, bound to her spine. Rarely did avian close get this close, and none had ever perched her like it would a branch. She — Phoebe — was welcome here. "No harm shall come to her beneath our roof, I promise you that." She assured the distressed man.

"If you wish to stay, we can provide food and security for you in exchange for your devotion to Stormrift." She suggested, raising a brow as she turned to face him.

the staff team luvs u

10-29-2022, 05:36 PM

While he was a forest ranger of warmer colors, she was a northern woman of frosted hues -- every picture of what a northerner would look like. Strong, muscled and regal in a way Kaster couldnt deny -- even as he sized her up in a silence as a threat to something he cherished.

So this is what it was all about -- recruitment. Scouting out the next unlucky dog that looked vulnerable enough for the taking. His owl was just a peice to this little game and considered "safe" as long as he aided her in some way. What did he expect? The woodlander had half the mind to find a way out then and there. He didn't have the heart to join another pack right now after the disaster that was the last attempt -- yet when he really stood there to file through his options....he was left with little, wasn't he?

It was almost winter...again. Kaster was probably fucked in relations to food supply soon, ecspecially when he was this far up north, too. He couldn't supply himself well during the season...and considering how much more domesticated Pheobe was after years of being around wolves, he certainly didn't trust the hen on her own either.

So, again, the woodlander had no choice but to swallow his pride. Though not without raising his own suspicions, first. Afterall, if the topic of packs were being brought up then he should have a right to know where he was putting his loyalties to first. “Who is 'we', and how do I know you can help provide for us?” he raised the question, seeking serious answers for something he considered important. Ecspecially concerning an approaching season of food shortage.

“--and who would I be pledging my alliances to?”

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Misc Skill
11-02-2022, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 04:29 PM by Aruna. Edited 3 times in total.)
Stormrift was strong, even if small. It was an auspicious offer, the promise of sanctuary. Would he accept her, vow his fealty to her? The woman stared expectantly at the bay foreigner as aquamarine eyes skimmed her body. Her chin was neatly tucked toward her chest and her legs close together.

A hardened beak jutted the woman's ear, gently closing over it for a moment before retracting with a hoot. A single tufted ear swiveled in place, flipping forward as she gave a curt nod to the man's companion. He stood in silence, a mute observer as his friend nipped at the dark she-wolf. He didn't speak for a while, leaving Aruna to her mind. Bitter cold winds caressed her fur constantly, but her excessive fluff kept her warm. Finally, he spoke. "Aruna Stormborn of House Brehn, heir to Stormrift. My family has ruled over Stormrift for generations. I've gathered several wolves to join me, old followers, and new." She replied, summarizing her conquest so far. Wrath and Realta had been here for years, but Sabah was new.

"We were raised in a land lain with ice and frost, taught to hunt and climb in harsh conditions from a young age." She informed him. She was an avid warrior and had no qualms scaling mountains - she'd been doing it since she was a babe. "Caribou herds litter the vale; food shouldn't be a problem. We have caverns along the mountainside where we can rest, should we feel our fatigue." And finally, the question of the ruling wolf.

"I am the last of my family, the sole but rightful heir and current overseer of Stormrift. All I ask is that you swear your fealty to me. Vow not to betray me." A wolf that resided in Stormrift beneath her reign could do this, at the very least. She was the storm's ire, the gods may have mercy upon her enemies, but she will not. Pleasantries had already been exchanged; it was time. "Tell me, dear, will you fight for me?""

archivist

the staff team luvs u

11-19-2022, 12:52 PM

Pheobe knew of their need to be here -- their dependence on a group during this time of the year closing in -- and despite how stubborn the prince was, he could sense exactly what his companion was trying to say by defying him right now. Stay. Despite having the neediness of a literal child sometimes, the owless was a survivalist -- wiser and having roamed this very earth for longer than Kaster had. She knew when to save her distrust and pride for another day, meanwhile the hermit of a man hadn't been so skilled.

"Aruna Stormborn of House Brehn"

A name that further made Kaster question his ability to trust any of this. She aligned herself so proudly towards a line of blood, and to experience the corruption of family reign first-hand, Kaster soured at the proclamation....yet as Pheobe was showing him right now, he couldn't afford to be picky right now. So he reluctantly stayed and listened. The only positive that had made his ears pricked up was the promise of Caribou -- large beast full of enough to feed for days if needed -- only a pack could bring that kind of prey down, and if not him then...

As she finished talking, his hardened stare softened onto something more of neutrality, still lingering with the taste of skepticism. His muzzle tipped upward, and his nails gripped the earth as he spoke;

Aruna,he said gruffly, feeling her name upon his tounge. One of the first times he had ever refered to another like that as he didn't interact much. “I know of the greed and corruption that can taint an entire family line. If I witness or even sense such during my stay here, I will take my leave...” The archer promised that. Promised that if his trust in her was broken or betrayed like it was by his own flesh and blood, something he rarely allowed toward anyone, then so was his loyalty. “--but I will put trust onto you for the present, and believe that you are different than all that I have experienced. So don't give me a reason not to.”

“Until then, I fight for you.”

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top