Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Meals on... hooves?

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
AW
Hunter
09-12-2022, 01:34 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2022, 01:34 AM by Faolan Lucian. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: adding skill tag )
Love was not a word that could be associated with the roving male but when it came to food... oh he was infatuated with it. Faolan hadn't completely come to terms with his predicament, being stuck in this form, stuck in this place, but his stomach was starting to draw his attention away from those worries. And what it wanted, it got. His pierced nose twitched lightly as he took in a few, deep breaths trying to assess if the vast area yielded any potential prey. There was something there between the grasses and other floral aromas but just what exactly he couldn't tell right off of the bat.

Carefully pressing on the snowy canine quietly stalked his way along the shore of the little river pausing every now and then to listen to the sounds of the plains that were being carried on the wind. Birds singing their songs, insects chittering away, nothing that piqued his interest or would satisfy his hunger. Casting his golden orbs downwards, it was then that he saw his first sign of anything remotely interesting. There in the softened earth was an impression of a hoof! It didn't appear to have dried out just yet which meant that the animal that left it could still be lingering about. Fao smirked to himself, deciding to follow this newfound trail towards the watering hole eagerly.
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-12-2022, 02:25 PM
 He also stalked.

The pale man just happened to be there, seeing the hoof prints first. Bran spied him following ahead and attempted to catch up with him. The Watering Hole was on full display, with various animals taking a long drink. It was not claimed land - but he did not doubt any malicious folks would attempt to.

He chuffed quietly.

Hopefully, the man would accept a hunting partner. Bran veered to his right, eyeballing @Faolan Lucian from the side. A question burning in the air. Did he want help? And if so, would he share the spoils with the dark-hued man? If not, he would continue on. No skin off his back. Nothing to get upset about.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 9499574_uiTsbKbAofAwJY7.png]
STANDING AT THE GATES OF HELL
STILL WANTING MORE MORE MORE
Hunter
09-12-2022, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2022, 01:34 AM by Faolan Lucian. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: adding skill tag )
Faolan had been so hyper focused on the trail he was tracking that he barely heard the other canine come up on him until he was a mere few tail lengths away, his chuffing causing the white man to jump slightly. Briefly he wondered if he was about to get jumped, not knowing the boundaries of other’s territories, but after a few moments it would appear that that was not the case.

Giving a slow nod of his head, he finally understood. Fao would welcome some help if it meant they would bring down larger game. More food, the better. Crouching down against the taller grasses the pierced male eased his way closer towards the watering hole, minding every paw step along the way as to not give away their position to the resting doe by the waters edge. Glancing over at his partner he made a gesture to their target, ready to move in if Godbrand was ready.
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-12-2022, 10:47 PM
The pale man understood intention even if it took a while to get there. Bran gave a curt nod back, flickering away into the foliage surrounding the waters, and tried to splinter the doe. It did not have a child with her, so he felt a bit easier knowing they would not leave one motherless. 

Bran attempted to get as close as possible without giving away both of them. He managed to crawl on his belly, relying on the tall grasses to hide him. Within a few steps of the doe, he locked eyes with her. The doe started, trying to dart off. He had positioned himself in such a way that she had the water to jump into. Or - !

She could take her chances north. The one remaining direction was housed by the pale wolf, waiting. Bran sharply cut the doe off from her intention to flee north, directing her to @Faolan Lucian. It was up to the other to ambush the doe. He would chase it.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-13-2022, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2022, 01:34 AM by Faolan Lucian. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: adding skill tag )
As his accomplice moved quietly into position closing the distance between he and the doe, Faolan steadied himself in place bracing for the right moment. His heart began to quicken with excitement though he tried to calm himself as much as possible as to not make the wrong move. He needed to focus and took in several slow breaths quietly expelling the air through his pierced nose. Golden orbs watched as realization hit the deer once she had spotted Godbrand and as if in slow motion the game was on.

Immediately his muscles tensed up as if winding up a spring just aching to be set loose. Fao's gaze fixed dead ahead on the doe as she turned tail to make her escape unknowingly heading right towards another set of eager fangs. Just as the frightened grass eater perhaps thought she was heading for safety, he sprang up from his cover in the tall grasses lunging with force as he took aim for the soft flesh that was her neck. Throwing his entire weight at their prey the snowy wolf clotheslined the doe sending the two tumbling to the ground.

Burying his fangs into her supple neck, he tried with all of his might to hold on as she kicked and flailed, a petty bleat leaving her lips in fright. He hoped the other male was just as swift to come to his aid.
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-13-2022, 01:18 AM
He was there.

The run had been cut off, and the deer was tangled with the other wolf. Bran jumped onto her back, pulling her down into the earth. He snarled, growled, and punctured her hide with his fangs. The pale man controlled the front, and the doe slowly died between them. The aggressiveness he felt disappeared once the deed was done.

Now, he let go and backed away. Bran had eaten before setting out, so the first bite was the pale man's. "You first." It was all he said, hooded eyes looking over the panic-induced scene. A few stray grass patches flattened, blood... Nothing that would not fade. Thankfully they weren't hurt. Bran would keep watch - someone had to - while the pale one ate.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-13-2022, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2022, 01:35 AM by Faolan Lucian. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: adding skill tag )
With two wolves on her in a hurry, the doe stood little to no chance in escaping and with the added weight of his partner on her back, she was brought down in a hurry. Faolan kept his grip tightly around her neck as she kicked, slower and slower each time until her body finally stilled altogether a final breath leaving her. Slowly pulling back he panted lightly having forgotten how much effort it required to hunt in this form without the aid of his abilities. Damn, actual wolves had it rough...

Finally the other spoke and offered him first dibs to which surprised Faolan but it wasn't like he was gonna turn down the opportunity especially with how hungry he was right now. "Suit yourself..." He mumbled with a lazy shrug of his shoulders, wasting no time in tearing into their well earned meal. Each bite seemed to taste better than the last and he ate as if he hadn't had a decent dinner in weeks gorging himself. Fao's once brilliant white fur was now stained all down the front of him as he feasted, glancing up every now and then to the other male. "I ain't gonna bite ya, there's more than enough." Fao offered as another chunk of meat slid down his throat, licking his lips. "Gotta say I wasn't expecting to have any help but uh, thanks man."
the staff team luvs u
09-13-2022, 01:43 AM
"Someone has to keep watch."

Bran's reasoning was simple. The scent of blood would draw others to them. If he watched for the hungry male, he would rest easy and not be caught unawares if he, too, settled in to eat. Blood on his snout and nose would be a distraction, unable to scent an approach.

"Blood attracts unwanted attention."

He felt this was a logical course of action, to guard. "I ate before travel, it is fine. I'll take some back with me for my pack's cache." Seeing as the pale wolf hadn't been aggressive or suspicious, Bran felt a bit better letting him know he was part of one.

"Mm. You hunt well for a starving wolf." Was... that a joke? That had to be a joke, right?

the staff team luvs u
09-13-2022, 02:20 AM
To him this was… strange behavior. And surely he seemed a little strange himself to the other male. Faolan gave him a slightly puzzled look even with the sound reasoning he provided before helping himself to a little more of the doe under him, making sure to have his fill. He wasn’t worried in the slightest over someone coming in to steal their kill but this guy sure was.

He then took a few steps back once satisfied and gave a low snuff, of course there was a pack around here and it was his luck he’d run into one of its members. Him and packs didn’t mix well… Fao preferred to do as he pleased and be told what to do by another who claimed to be king of the hill. “It’s the first meal I’ve had since I woke up here and I’d be damned if it got away.” He chuckled softly, wiping his mouth off with the back of his paw. “Name’s Fao by the way… Guess you’ll be takin your dinner to go.”
the staff team luvs u
09-13-2022, 03:06 AM
"That is fair."

He recalled waking up near Greenwood's border, recalling further that Lady Kore had welcomed him in without fuss. He hoped the same could be done for Fao eventually. Some wolves did not trust packs. That was their business. He would be cautious though about assuming folks were innocent though. 

"Bran" he introduced himself quietly "the cache can wait - if you have inquiries about this land, I can attempt to answer them." Seeing as someone had done the same for him, he would pay it forward. Once. Then move on. No need to hold the paw of every single wolf that magically popped into Canis.

That would be exhausting.

"It is not good to wander around with no knowledge of where you are."

the staff team luvs u
09-20-2022, 05:34 PM
Flopping down lazily against his haunches, Faolan leisurely groomed himself as the other introduced himself even offering a bit of insight about these lands. Thinking on it a moment he glanced up, "Where to avoid and where to find some tail to entertain me a little." A light laugh left his lips at that, partially joking but it wouldn't be bad info to have. Old habits and whatnot.

"I'm not much for pack life if it wasn't already obvious... I'd rather avoid someone's territory and keep my hide in tact. Wandering onto someone's front lawn hasn't ended very well for me in the past." While he understood the reasoning behind not being welcoming to intruders, he didn't wish to be on someone's shitlist because he wandered a little too far by mistake.
the staff team luvs u
09-20-2022, 07:32 PM
He squinted. He roamed his memory banks and decided he didn't know what that slang meant. Tail? Was Faolan not satisfied with his own tail? Did he have to attempt to - oh. He meant sex. Bran wouldn't have anything to offer in terms of potential females, and he would feel sick to his stomach even offering at all. Who in their right mind set up a woman (or man, he was not judging) to be ravaged by a man (or female, again no judgment) anyway? He... did not know what to make of this request. He surely did not associate with loose women anyway.

"Hm" he grunted at last "I just arrived not long ago, so I cannot say much" A word of caution, for what it was worth "yet I know of only one other pack aside my own established on the Plains" Which he didn't know why smelt cat-like... "this location does not have many borders" And if Fao was the type to wander onto pack land... Well, Bran would assume he was an idiot or not paying attention. A bit of both, actually "to the northwest is the Mountains. Above them is the Tundra. Below that is Temperate. To the east of us is a Desert region."

Which, as of right now, he hadn't explored outside of looking beyond the Plains. "I've only concentrated on Greenwood" He pointed with his nose to the south "I haven't... quite ventured beyond. The Mountains seem to house many packs, from what I can smell. I can guess that the Desert does not."

ooc; bran ilu idiot
the staff team luvs u
09-26-2022, 10:07 PM
(Loool he's precious)

Unfortunate, but he was no stranger to finding his own nightly entertainment and part of the fun was in the chase after all. As expansive as this place seemed to be, he was bound to run into a gal that liked the cut of his jib well enough to give him a chance to blow her mind. If he hung around a few neutral areas long enough he'd surely find what he was looking for.

Making a few mental notes of his own Faolan would make a point to steer clear of densely populated pack lands as to avoid any unnecessary confrontation. The mountains sounded less desirable to him now that he knew there was a lot of folks calling that place home and despite the desert being the opposite, he wasn't too keen on sweating his ass off either. At least he was grasping a better understanding of his new environment and that was better than going in blindly.

"Gonna have to do some exploring then... But you might see me hanging around here, food's good, plenty of water, and if your friends are anything like you I think I can tolerate being this close. I ain't gonna stick my nose in nothin'." As long as it didn't concern him he had no reason to get involved and he liked it that way. Their drama was their drama, his was his. "Not gonna lie I'm not exactly used to being permanently stuck in this body. What do y'all do to keep yourselves busy, what's there to do for fun around here?" Besides the three big 'Fs' that he lived by, feeding, fighting and fucking, he didn't really know what to do with his time.
the staff team luvs u
09-27-2022, 12:36 AM
"I apologize; I am not very... versed, yet." He felt it was prudent to voice this, even apologize, for the ivory man wanted entertainment. Bran was not the type to have 'fun' outside of work. He lifted a brow at the comment about his 'friends' but said nothing. Really, nothing to say to the off-hand compliment. Fao could tolerate Bran, and therefore he could tolerate Greenwood. It was much more friendly.

"I doubt Greenwood would react in poor taste if you made an honest mistake" Bran continued quietly "I cannot speak for the other, more territorial packs" His pack was the only wolf-aligned pack in the Plains, and he didn't even know WillowClan existed currently "my leader is understanding." Lady Kore had not attacked him upon finding him near the border after all. He suspected she would not do it to Fao needlessly.

Fao did say something... curious though. "Were you not a wolf?" Bran asked him, though the other man asked a question too "I am not the right person to ask about fun" He also was honest "because different wolves have different ideas of fun. I am... a stick in the muck." Was he using that term right?

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top