Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
knock-knocking on heaven's door

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
P
Adventurer
09-10-2022, 08:15 PM
With Vendrussel giving directions to Elysium, Tallulah made her way there after visiting Vanderfell Woods. Though her mind was set on visiting the packs and their leaders before deciding, she also wished to scout and make allies. The woman slowed before the border, refusing to go over it. She let out a chuff for the alpha or alpha pair.

Then she waited.

The mountains here gave a sort of deja vu. She called a flat surface, yellow and orange in color with mountains like these peeking over the horizon. They always seemed too far away from her to travel, even if she did wander close a few times. She remembered a desert sort of setting, with mountains and foliage... Gods, why couldn't she remember more?

@Valeska

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 53568461_UCgDR8zToPO5WLQ.png]
FALLING TOO FAST TO PREPARE FOR THIS
TRIPPING IN THIS WORLD COULD BE DANGEROUS
Ecologist
09-10-2022, 09:53 PM
Presently, Valeska was rummaging for some season's-end blackberries, hoping beyond hope there might still be a few lingering around. Summer was coming to its close, and the first chill gusts of wind were making their way down from the mountains, carrying the cold of the tundra; it was fruitless (pun intended), but she would not be deterred. Blackberries were her favorite oddity to snack on, and she had a craving, gods damn it.

Unfortunately, all she managed to root out were a few wild stalks of onion, and her stomach turned at the smell. She didn't need an herbalist to tell her that they were toxic - her body actively repelled the idea.

Nose wrinkling, she gave a defeated sigh before hearing a faint chuffing at the edge of her home. Another visitor?

Quickening her steps, she crested a small hill, spotting a very unusual silhouette in the distance. It appeared wolf-like, certainly, but what was - was there something wrong with its head? A strange sort of... bowl-like shape, with a flat edge... as she drew closer, she realized it was, in fact, a peculiar item sat squarely on top of the canine's head as a sort of decorative piece.
At least, that's what she deemed most logical.

“Hello,” she greeted curiously, eyes never straying from the apparatus that rested upon the newcomer's head. Fascinating. She enjoyed learning of new customs and new traditions of other peoples, so perhaps this was part of the wolf's heritage? The High Priestess at last forced her gaze to meet Tallulah's in the end, giving her a welcoming smile. “I am Valeska, and I oversee Elysium. I have not smelled you before! You must be new?” Her accent, rich and heavy, came through in full force, though she had grown much more articulate over the years living in this unfamiliar world; time well-spent practicing with its various inhabitants.

She really, really wanted to ask about the hat.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
Adventurer
09-10-2022, 10:05 PM
"Howdy, ma'am."

Tallulah was always respectful of others, and this woman didn't give her cause for alarm anyway. She dipped her head, eyes focused on the ground. As per usual, she was mindful of the hat on her skull due to it being so easy to blow or fall. But it was quite clear Valeska, leader of Elysium, had a curious eye for it.

"Name's Tallulah" she added politely, raising her eyes to meet the kindly gaze of the stranger. She smiled, half amused and half kind back "er, ya lookin' at me hat?" she tipped her head again and it rolled off, onto the ground between them. The feather had worn off and flown away but the leather hat remained despite this.

"I don't mind if ya look or prod it" she said, inviting the curiosity - but kept a paw on it to prevent the mountain wind blowing it away! "I reckon I don't know what it is... I woke up with it, aye. I am new to Canis" she confirmed as she raised her head once again. Only her blue bandana remained "I met a lady down by the sea."

A pause.

"She told me bout yer pack, Lady @Valeska ... I had the thought of meetin' alphas before decidin' to settle."

the staff team luvs u
09-11-2022, 12:45 AM
“"Howdy, ma'am."”

Her accent was interesting. She recalled hearing one similar, from a wolf called @Āzon from many moons past; he had shown up one day and then vanished just as swiftly, and she would have thought the encounter a hallucination if not for the vivid memory he left behind. He had been a kind individual, and she hoped he was doing well, and that he had found the ass that he had been hauling*.

Wordlessly, she nodded affirmation, watching with wide, fascinated eyes as the stranger let the hat slide from her lupine head and onto the soft ground. At Tallulah's invitation, Valeska stepped forward to give it a few deep sniffs, tilting her head in wonderment at how like an animal it smelled - and yet not. Skin from a creature? Formed into... this? She reached a paw out to touch it, marveling at its velvety softness, and although she felt a strange urge to lick it she refrained out of respect.

“I have never seen anything like it,” she said at last, straightening. “Thank you for letting me look - it is a marvel. And you say it arrived with you? How fortunate! I only arrived with a bump on my head and a great feeling of panic.”

The woman then casually mentioned a 'lady down by the sea'. The High Priestess looked very interested at this bit of information, and her ears swiveled forward with heightened curiosity. She knew of only one wolf who might fit that description; tall and dark and smelling of ocean-salt, @Vendrussel had aided Valeska and the others in their liberation of the Boar King and his minions.

Unfortunately, she was also about to be under trial for the alleged murder of Northfall's child - but as it stood, she had not made an enemy of Elysium nor Duskguard, their only other present ally. Whatever quarrel she held with Northfall would soon be put against the fires of judgment, not that the meeting was anticipated with any real joy.

Valeska was surprised that Vendrussel had directed the stranger so far east, but she was glad Tallulah had made it safely. “I know of her,” she replied, a soft, sorrowful smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. “She is kind, and I am pleased you have made the journey well. Elysium is a safe haven; we are not war-mongers, and instead like to enjoy a peaceful way of living in which all contribute to the goodness of the pack. As it happens, we are currently overrun with children, so it is nice to see a face not presently wrapped in baby-fluff. I have had my paws full!” Valeska laughed, then, glancing back toward the dens that lay nestled at the base of the mountains they called home.

“You are welcome to stay as long as you like, until you have made a decision. Even then, you may come and go - we are friends to all with good intent. What are you looking for in a home?”

OOC: *Azonial had passingly used the phrase 'hauling ass', which Valeska assumed was a real donkey.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-11-2022, 12:57 AM
Her lips did twitch with amusement, seeing the woman approach and fiddle with the hat. It was like lookin' at a kid who saw a pretty butterfly. No reason to hurt it, but all the same wanting to touch it. Once @Valeska was finished, Tallulah pulled it gently back to her so it rested under her belly. There was time to put it back on, but she felt it was mighty rude to do so in the presence of the company.

"Aye" she nodded "that and me scarf" But Valeska could easily guess that by a glance "I thought it was important, to me... In a past realm" She would shuffle, still not liking her memories taken from her "just had a feelin' it was given to me, by someone equally important" She admitted quietly "so I keep it. I'll be sad if it's lost anywhere, so... part of the reason I want a place is to keep it safe."

She chuckled awkwardly.

Valeska did offer her a pseudo sort of spot in Elysium. Tallulah stared in wonder, also wondering how she had had the dumb luck of runnin' into wolves with kind hearts. She opened her mouth and closed it once, before she opened it again. "That's mighty kind of ya, ma'am" she admitted "I ain't no slouch either. If you open yer place to me... I'll be workin' while here until I decide to stay."

It was not up for debate. She would not stand and laze about while others worked.

"I think I'll stick by the border and keep a watch" Tallulah added, offering her services "won't add me scent to it, but I'll keep watch. Make sure nobody is here that ain't allowed" Her scent would be weak and that of a vagabond for Elysium. It would not keep predators out "I look... fer a place I can grow. I don't have much beliefs, only traditions in me head that won't go away."

She paused.

"I want to work hard. Rank don't matter. I don't do it for that" she shook her head "I can hunt, fight and scout. I can do an'thing you ask of me, within reason. I guess I want a place that don't hurt others for fun. If there's gonna be conflict, I want a say in fightin' since it is me life." She knew it could be cowardly, but it was true. Tallulah would lay down her life for friends. Not a concept.

the staff team luvs u
09-11-2022, 06:01 AM
Valeska had certainly noticed the scarf, though the head-piece had understandably taken up most of her attention given its location and unusual shape. She wondered at the stranger's history - more than that, what realm she had popped in from - and felt a little sad that the memory seemed lost to her, though she hoped time might see its eventual recovery. For better or worse, she herself had spawned in with all of her previous memories, and she still struggled daily not knowing whether this was Purgatory or a second chance at life altogether.

Either way, she couldn't complain.

“I came here from a great splitting of the earth,” she said dramatically, gesturing toward the ground and making a motion with her paws suggestive of a sudden chasm. “I remember falling, shouting, horrible pain - and then I woke here. I admit I still do not know what this place is, but I have done my best to make the most of it. What is the phrase? When life gives you lemons, you do something nice with them?”

Lackadaisical quips were not her forte, but she tried.

Tallulah seemed eager to put herself to use right away, at any rate, and freely offered her assistance in any manner the pack may have need of it. The High Priestess was impressed by her generosity given so soon and momentarily felt herself at a loss for words; she could hardly refuse, given their strained ranks and the sheer number of mouths to feed, but she still felt some guilt around its acceptance.

“You are too kind,” she said, folding her ears back meekly. “Well, if you should like, you would be welcome to store your things in one of the dens until you have settled on a decision. We have several still empty; I shall make sure my pups do not wander in with curious noses. Gods forbid - punishment would be swift.

Grinning mischievously, Valeska suddenly reached down to delicately pluck the wolf's hat from between Tallulah's paws to rest it back on her head, straightening it just so to make it look as it had upon their initial encounter. A peculiar item, but somehow it seemed natural.

“It suits you.”

Valeska paused as she waited for the tawny-brown wolf to finish her piece. They did share similar desires and intentions, which was encouraging. “We at Elysium do not relish conflict. The only fighting we shall ever do, gods forbid, is to protect ourselves and those we care for, but no one is required to fight if they do not wish it. We have room for healers, swift-runners, hunters, and those who would stay behind to watch over borders as you say. There is a place for everyone here, so long as you are kind.”

She pointedly did not mention her beloved three-month-old daughter @Violet, who through sheer bad luck was quite possibly the meanest bitch she had ever met in this life or the last (which goes to show you that the whole nature versus nurture thing is real), though Tallulah would probably figure that part out for herself in time.

The little wolf hesitated, then ventured -

“What sort of 'old traditions' do you carry? Is it nosing - I mean, nosy to ask?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-11-2022, 02:44 PM
@Valeska would share her story, however brief it had been to her. Tallulah listened intently, trying to recall if the earth opened below her feet before she arrived here. Nothing. Miss Kore said something akin to getting a fresh start. But how did one survive the earth splitting open? Maybe Canis swallowed Valeska into this here place? They had an intent to keep her.

"Aye" she agreed with the phrase "though the juice can be bitter without som'thing sweet" She smiled, a slight wag of her tail "depends on the lemon." Like every wolf, each fruit was different. Could be sweet immediately - or could be terribly bitter. Valeska did offer for her to store the hat and scarf in a den. She mulled this over, before dipping her head in gratitude.

The woman even placed her hat back on her head. She grinned now, thankful.

"Thank ya."

The pale woman asked about the traditions. Tallulah would chuckle. "It ain't much" the woman cautioned "cause me memories are a bit foggy still. But... stuff comes to me. Slowly. One is like 'never touch another's tack' - which me mind translated to don't touch something that don't belong to you." It was simple enough she supposed, even with colorful language.

More would come. More things that made sense, and more traditions were revealed to her - and others, who liked to know. "I reckon it's like a code of honor" Tallulah pondered this "words to live by."

the staff team luvs u
09-11-2022, 06:13 PM
She nodded assent, recalling her many different experiences with the wolves of this land. 'Depends on the lemon'. She had only encountered a few truly sour lemons thus far, and she was grateful for that, though she often wondered how long her good fortune would last. Trouble still brewed in the North as tensions grew ever higher between Northfall and Dragonford Isles, and as the time of the great Council drew nearer, she found herself filled with apprehension. What verdict could there be that might see all parties satisfied and unharmed? She felt her stomach tie up in knots, and shelved the thought for now.

Valeska returned to the present, and chuckled lightly at Tallulah's mantra. The words were different, more colorful and vibrant, but she understood their meaning well. “My mate, Amaranth, is a collector of many things, and I have learned that in my own time!” she said, picturing her wife's many stone shelves layered with skulls and trinkets and gemstones, all piled up in a hoard worthy of a dragon. “In good faith I once tried to help clean and organize her collection, but you would think I had broken her leg. Yes, it is wise not to touch another's tack, as you say. You shall have no fear of it here.”

It could also be interpreted as a way of 'don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong'.

The High Priestess casually let the discussion roll on naturally, and decided to offer her own vague thoughts and beliefs on the world at large. “I worship the gods of the Five, and they guide my decisions, shape my life - but it is not a requirement for those of Elysium to practice. One cannot force belief, just as one cannot make a fish climb a tree, no?” she smiled faintly, glancing up toward the clouds that drifted lazily overhead. “I only wish to live well and prosperously. We coexist in spite of our differences to create a home worth living in, and you and your traditions are welcome guests for as long as you wish.”

She cleared her throat, realizing she'd been rambling. Valeska was well aware of her tendency to talk at length, and although most seemed to humor her, it had been pointed out enough to make her a little self-conscious. “You said you wish to patrol the borders - let me accompany you.”

The little wolf set off at a leisurely pace, picking along a well-worn path through the trees and underbrush that had clearly been run over a thousand times before. “We are the northeastern-most pack of the Mountains, while Vanderfell occupies the mountain peaks to our southwest. They claim Ullarcraig Run as their hunting ground, though somewhat informally - we do not hunt there out of respect. A pack from the Tundra, we suspect their allies, presently occupy Skelmir's Pass to the further south,” she explained in turn, allowing Tallulah to stop and scent the air as they neared the outskirts of the respective borders. “I believe they are called Shiroshika, though I have not met with them personally. Vanderfell and Elysium remain neutral, as alliances are taken with much more gravity on their side; we tried once, upon establishing our claim, but were met with neutrality and have continued on in this way. The situation does not bother us or them, so we are content.”

the staff team luvs u
09-11-2022, 09:44 PM
Tallulah chuckled at the woman's story. She knew better than to touch a hoarder's treasure. It was indeed like chopping off a leg. The concept of worshipping five gods though. It drew her attention. "Five?" she echoed, though not a religious person at all "maybe ya can tell me of them later." It was polite to listen to someone, even if you didn't believe in the same as them.

The Priestess accompanied her on patrol, however.

"Aye" she said, her eyes drifting to Vanderfell as it was spoken about "I visited them 'fore here" Hieronymous had been kind to her, so she was a bit stuck between Valeska (Elysium) and him (Vanderfell) at the moment. Maybe it would change. "Vendrussal spoke of Shirosaka. Another place to consider, if it took me there." But she was not so used to the Tundra yet.

Mountains and Plains aside, she hadn't been to the Desert yet.

Knowing it existed, however, was another thing. She would wonder if @Valeska had any thoughts about anyone who resided there. The pale woman spoke of the neutral situation they took with hunting, and alliances of sorts. Tallulah nodded, a thoughtful look on her face. She did not add her scent to the border, though, as she was not a formal member.

Though she did keep a watch, a mental check - just in case.

"You mention alliances n' neutrality - but not ever'one gets along, sadly" she ventured politely "does Elysium have any tenseness wit' others?" Not straight-out enemies, but perhaps wolves that are banned from the location. If she was to patrol a bit, she needed to know who to report about - fast as possible.

the staff team luvs u
09-11-2022, 10:20 PM
Valeska was impressed at Tallulah's thoroughness. Most wolves did not weigh potential packs so methodically, and typically joined into the first one they fell into; it was a testament to her character that she wanted to do things right the first time and gauge for herself what kind of life she wanted to lead. She grinned. “Ah! You have been busy,” she exclaimed, glancing up toward Vanderfell's lofty peaks. “I have only met with Ira and her consort, as well as a guard of theirs, Orlaith. She was a strange circumstance - it will sound superstitious, but - she had perished in battle, seemingly, and then reappeared one day without any of her former memories.”

The little wolf paused, knowing full well the statement sounded Cuckoo for Coco Puffs, but it had undeniably happened. Hell, even the fact that she and Amaranth were able to bear biological children - and the starry being that had manifested in the sky, the one she had felt in her very bones was Houtu Herself -
“This world is a peculiar place, my friend, and I do not know yet what to make of it. She insisted we had never met before, but by the grace of the Five, it was her.

Tallulah asked vaguely about the Five, and Valeska nodded agreeably for a future discussion. She was always happy to share her beliefs, though such things were not meant to be pushed. When and if the stranger was ever ready, she would impart the details of her faith; at most, the deities were something of a feature in their pack festivals, and Aether's fall solstice was swiftly approaching on the horizon.

Although the events were less based around worship, and more or less involved glorified games for them to play as a bonding activity.

“We do not,” she responded to her query surrounding enemies. “There is to be a Council meeting of several representatives from packs in the North regarding a... murder, and we will collectively try to reach a just and fair verdict. We do not, however, have any enemies in our midst. We do have strong allies in Duskguard, who have made their home in the Frostfang Vale of the tundra.”

Valeska paused, pursed her lips, then continued.

“There is only one wolf who I would hesitate to allow back into our fold. He is pale and serpentine in nature, and his words are poison. We have known him as Alastor, and he was very cruel,” she stated plainly, looking out into the distance as if he might materialize by the sound of his name alone. “I feel like you would know him if you saw him, but he has not come round in many moons - it is my hope that he has finally found someone else to hurt.”

The High Priestess turned, then, and gave the hat-bearing wolf a pleased, if tired, smile. “Thank you for your assistance. Tell me - do you have any hobbies? My sister is wonderful with plants.”

the staff team luvs u
09-12-2022, 12:07 AM
Some would claim 'talk was cheap'. Tallulah never cared for the term, having a listener's ear and also the capacity to be social. Her ear flickered at the phoenix wolf's rise, but said nothing. Perhaps she was a bit shocked, even if she had no reason to doubt @Valeska in any way. "That's sum'thin alright!" she commented at last, confused. If she hadn't been dumped into this realm, memories taken, she would have protested and shouted logic.

Unaware she had actually met Orlaith, the phoenix wolf, hunting previously.

A council of the packs was to be made. That was curious. She eyed Valeska as she explained. Though she had a sneaky suspicion... Vendrussel left the murder out. Not out of malice, but caution and consideration toward Tallulah's newness. "Glad to hear it." Diplomacy was always an option, even for murder sometimes. Having the chance to defend oneself was not justice but common decency. But she knew her eyes would see red -

if some fucker dared touch her people.

It was hard to remain impartial for long. "I'll keep an eye out" One brown and one blue "I'm happy your folks try to remain neutral. Too many places so much on forced bonds, aye" And forced loyalty, for the sake of peace "too many let it cloud their eyes" She frowned a bit, noticing the weariness in her new acquaintance "can't say I have many, Valeska." She would admit this with a deeper, thoughtful frown.

"Think I always worked too hard, found meself saying my work was hobby" Dim recognition entered her eyes "I like to study animals though" She sheepishly grinned "and tales round the campfire" Though 'fire' was dangerous here "stories, tales, tall or not" She piqued up "I'll try anything once or twice. I mostly enjoy runnin', huntin' and friendly exercise." Fighting, of course, but nothing hurtful.

She left out she sang.

"Does yer sister need help with an'thing?" She asked, tilting her head.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
09-12-2022, 12:31 AM
It was a lot, certainly - but Valeska never had any reason to hold back, and she wore her heart and thoughts on her sleeve. Lying was an unfathomable sin and she could not be untrue to herself or others, even if it meant they looked at her a little funny. She smiled sheepishly back at Tallulah, feeling somewhat embarrassed about the whole thing, but she could not imagine taking it back - Orlaith was a ghost wolf from the dead and there was no doubting what her eyes had seen, nor her ears had heard.

As oblivious as she could be, there was no disguising the side-eye from her new companion. She deserved a little bit more of an explanation, Valeska surmised, having already perplexed her with superstitious nonsense about a soul returning from the land departed.

“It is not my place to say but - it was not intended, according to the accused,” she said hesitantly, stopping their walk for a moment so that they could converse more easily. “It was a trespass, and the chi- the victim - did not yield. It ended badly, and there are many regrets. Hard lessons were learned, but Northfall seeks vengeance. Duskguard and a few others and I have put forth the idea of a Council, a trial to prevent further bloodshed.”

It sounded so neatly packaged up in such a way, spoken so succinctly as that, all tidy and tied up with a bow. Things were not so simple, however, and the wolves of Northfall grew more restless by the day, demanding blood for blood as was their Viking nature. This Council was their last hope to save the lives of Dragonford and Northfall alike.

“I feel it is prudent to tell you, because we are peace-makers, here in Elysium. We do not want war raged nearby, nor for our friends to be hurt. If we can prevent such terrible things, then that is all we could wish so that we may continue our way of life. Outside of that - it is out of our paws.”

She sighed, then, and resumed their leisurely pace as before.

“You are new, here, and it is wise to tell you of the goings-on in the Mountains,” the little wolf said, “At any rate, we do not partake in such wars, and apart from my journey to the upcoming trial all shall be safe and well in Elysium.”

Tallulah darkened for a time, as if querying her hobbies and past-times were a more difficult subject even than a murder case. Valeska couldn't help but feel a grin quirk at the edges of her mouth; it seemed the rough-and-tumble stranger was all work and no play, and she wondered if a vacation might do her some good. Nevertheless, she mustered up the will to continue, and answered the Priestess as best she could.

“Stories, you say?” she mused, her tone lightening. “Well, I know of eight restless pups who would be delighted to hear some of your stories during your stay, and I am certain I could share some of my own 'tall tales'. I would enjoy that.”

Mordecai, she figured, could help Tallulah with the 'fighting'. He was always itching for a brawl to test his mettle, and he would likely appreciate the company of a rough girl like Tallulah - and she had a sneaking suspicion he might lose.

“She does!” Valeska returned. “My sister has recently given birth, and could likely use any stomach-aids you might find; I found a bunch of thyme recently, and it would not be amiss to search for more. Come, let us put our noses to the test!”

Beaming merrily, she took off at a quickened pace, nose to the ground as the began the hunt for herbs - perhaps there would be a prize for the winner at the end.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top