Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Electric sheep cannot be true

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
P
09-08-2022, 01:09 AM

Galatea craned her neck upwards, trying desperately to find the peaks of the trees towering over her. She had been wandering for a while, and eventually found herself within what she considered a forest crafted by giants. The trunks were bigger than any she had seen in her entire life. As she got a closer look at one, intently staring at the red bark, she wondered how it was even possible for it to grow that big.

As she continued observing, her mind began to wander towards other things. After many moons of living in this place, the doll knew all too well that being a loner was, for lack of a better word, lonely. Though she'd met quite a few kind wolves, their meetings tended to be short-lived. They all inevitably had to go their separate ways.

She sighed, finding herself longing for the warmth of her past lover. Oh, how she missed her sweet voice and loving touch. Would there be anyone that could possibly fill that void?

"It's been so long, my dear. I hope you don't miss me too much." she whispered to the air. Her only audience was the trees, wordlessly looming over her like giants frozen in time.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: GALA.png?width=1025&height=218]
Adventurer
09-09-2022, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2022, 11:35 PM by Vedette. Edited 1 time in total.)

She needed to get away. Just for a little while; to breathe without the crushing weight on her shoulders. Hoping that it wouldn't follow her was moot — she knew it would. Problems didn't just go away, no matter how far you walked or for how long. But, a get-away. Maybe that'd help screw her head on straight. 

Vedette wasn't irritated at her home, but the ones that were driving a wedge between them all because of it. And she needed to walk it off before she went North and settled some things herself. The sentry found herself trudging up the mountains, a feat she'd done before, but she'd never gotten farther than Cloudrest. But today, something called beyond it. 

Reaching a barricade of mighty sequoia trees, Vedette squeezed her way through, but not without gazing upward to try to see if she could pinpoint where they ended. They stood as stationary titans, waiting for the call of mother earth to unleash themselves upon the land, ever waiting.

A voice broke the dusk dragon free from her sightseeing — it was familiar, but she could barely make out the words. Winding her way around a few of the colossal trees, she found her in a ray of light. Clouds seemed to part their ways in awe of the woman only anchored down by her paws, but it seemed as if the rest of her was in the sky, looking for her lost lover. Vedette's nose twitched at the scene, trying to pinpoint why there was some sort of weight that now pressed against her chest and her shoulders. What was this? It seemed reminiscent of when she lost her grandmother, but also more foreign than that as well. It was the closest thing she knew to loss and love, but nothing was close to the heart-wrenching feeling that the other girl has. Maybe this is the closest time she's ever been this close to that feeling... With her home hanging on the silver lining of a string, waiting for one more powerful gust of wind to knock them all down. 

"She must miss your presence, otherwise the sun would not shine as it does on you, Miss Galatea." Vedette took a step out of the shadows to show herself, allowing the light to feather its gaze upon her golden fur, trying to wash away the shadows under her eyes. It was nice to see a familiar face. That must have been why her sunburnt orange gaze didn't waver from the paper doll. 

the staff team luvs u
09-12-2022, 01:58 AM
As if the gods were answering Gala's silent wishes, a voice broke through the silence. One she recognized very well. Standing in the midst of giant trunks, was the lady with a coat of sand and ash. Vedette.

Brown eyes stared into ones of molten-hot lava. The dusk dragon's presence was an unexpected one to her, but not at all unwelcome. Ever since their first encounter within the eternal autumn forest, Gala had found herself thinking of the woman from time to time.

Something about Vedette intrigued her deeply. She seemed emotionless and unchanging, like a great pillar of stone; But yet, she carried a sort of kindness to her. Whether it was out of genuine compassion or a mix of politeness and pity, was a mystery to her. A selfish part of her wished to find out what lied beneath that frigid exterior.

"Hello, Vedette. It's great to see you again." Gala greeted the woman with a sad smile. She silently padded closer towards her. Unsure of whether or not the woman was okay with physical contact, she didn't do anything further. "I'm sorry you had to hear my sad rambling." 

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-14-2022, 07:42 PM

Vedette stood straight, tight like an arrow waiting to be shot from a bow. The place was unknown to her, making every part of her aware of the land that her paws had not trod. When she stepped a paw outside of the Sepulcher, she's reminded of how much of the world she hadn't yet explored, and it made her itch. Then again, she knew not to stray far because of the coming war between Northfall and Dragonford.

The warm greeting caught Vedette a little off guard, showing cracks in her demeanor as she her posture softened; a soldier casting her shield aside as Gala treaded closer. "It's great to see you too, Galatea." The tanned sentry stood still, unmoving like a rock amidst a raging storm. A wariness overcame her as she's reminded of the territory uncharted that surrounds the two of them. A tilt of her head sends her nose in the air, giving a few long deep sniffs to make sure that they are nowhere near anyone's borders — nowhere near where Gala could get in trouble. 

Her attention is drawn back to the golden doll at the mention of her ramblings. Vedette gave a gentle shake of her head. "Do not be. I'm the one who intruded." She said, her voice with a subtle tone of reassurance. By the scent on her, it was clear that she still hadn't found a home, or a place, to linger in long enough. She smelt of honey and fresh air; the type of scent that could only be found on those who traveled too long and too high in the mountains. A rock beaten freshness.

Vedette stole a quick glance at the sky. "Does she ever talk back?" A silly question, but things had changed since she came here. Faith was linear and more real than where she'd come from. Maybe Gods talked back here, maybe prayers were answered. Though the solider could never imagine asking the sky for anything, or any God.

the staff team luvs u
09-26-2022, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 12:24 PM by Galatea. Edited 1 time in total.)
In response to Vedette's question, Gala shook her head. "She hasn't. But sometimes, I like to think that she's watching over me."

If there were any gods, they most likely didn't talk to her in the traditional sense. Maybe, the ones that had once granted her life had been trying to give her guidance in subtle ways. Whether it be through the whispering of leaves in the wind, the formation of clouds in the sky, or even through her dreams. But, she didn't really have a way to confirm or deny.

"It's been a while, hasn't it? How's life been treating you?" Gala asked. She was sure life was more eventful within a pack, though they surely had their own hardships as well. The thought of it made her feel a tinge of envy in her heart.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-02-2022, 05:01 PM

When Galatea spoke of her Goddess, Vedette's autumn gaze raised to the sky and squinted, hoping if the deity could see her that she could see them, down here, calling out to her. How could she resist such a feat? The dusk dragon sends her regards back towards Gala, observing her. Vedette couldn't wrap her head around the woman looking to the sky every day in hopes that her Goddess would return — was that what love was? A constant yearning until your significant other returns safely to you? Her brows furrowed at the pondering, wheels turning in her mind, trying to comprehend what that truly meant. 

Gala's voice brought her back from the depths of her mind, reality sweeping around her and dimming the light in her mind. She straightened herself underneath the question, lips pursing together, trying to find the right words. "Fine. Everything's been..." She doesn't know completely why, but a feeling of guilt sent a chill up her spine. Lying to the other felt wrong. "Hm. More difficult than I'd first envisioned." A few weeks ago she'd come barely scathed out of a battle against boars, to burying Ford member, and now knowing that Ven was wavering on releasing them from duty... ripping the safety net out from underneath the dragon. 

"And you?" She asks, allowing herself to take in the sight around them. This was the first time she'd breached past Cloudrest, finding herself there to document the map in her own mind. And now, she can chart this place as well, noting that no packs found themself settled near here. 

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-06-2022, 04:41 PM
"Oh, really? I see..." Gala felt a pang of worry in her chest at Vedette's response. Something about the way the woman hesitated told her that not everything is as fine as she says. But, since she didn't know her all that well, Galatea didn't wish to delve into such a topic if it truly troubled her that much. There were certain things you couldn't just easily explain to anyone. So, she decided not to pry and just save it for another occasion.

"I've been doing fairly well." Gala answered with a smile. "Lately, I've been exploring a bit up north. It's quite cold up there, but there are some very pretty sights."

The doll happily remembered the beautiful moors dotted with purple flowers, where she had met Aries. She wondered if Vedette liked flowers as well. Maybe one day, they could both go to those moors and enjoy the beauty of it together, just the two of them.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-10-2022, 08:45 PM

Vedette gave a curt nod in response to Gala's first words. Everything would be fine. The soldier wasn't going to let everything on her shoulders fall just because she was a little stressed. She straightened herself, feeling her muscles roll as she shifted, stretching into a low-bow, before returning to her normal stance. A life like the one she lived amidst a war. She was always moving. Which meant there was little room for her to lie around and gain weight, her muscles always rippling underneath her tan fur. 

Interested in the golden doll, Vedette's fireplace gaze returned to her, soft when she peered upon her, like the worries that she did have somehow dimmed. "I'm glad." She meant it. It was good to know that at least she was doing alright, that nothing had.. hurt her in the time that they'd met before. Which was an odd feeling that Vedette's eyebrows furrowed at. Why would she care? ... Were they friends? This is how friends felt, right? 

"Hm? Really now.. I haven't been much further North than this." It was hard to leave when she was basically bound to the borders of the Ford, on the lookout for Northfall's soldiers. But there was something that yearned in her to know what was beyond the mountains. How big this land was, how far it stretched. "You should show me sometime. With two of us, it won't be so cold."

the staff team luvs u
10-12-2022, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2022, 11:01 PM by Galatea. Edited 1 time in total.)
Galatea had found that Vedette's gaze comforted her, like the warmth from a fireplace. When they'd first met, they way those molten eyes gazed into hers made her a bit nervous. But now, she had nothing to worry about. She swore that she could get lost in those eyes forever.

That was a normal thought to have about a friend, right? If that's what they even were, at that point.

Hearing the woman's offer, her smile widened. With two of us, it won't be so cold. That sentence alone caused a strange warmth to settle inside her chest, coiling tightly within her. "Of course. I would absolutely love to." she replied, her tail swaying back and forth. "I'm sure it'll be more fun than traveling alone."

She found herself eagerly looking forward to the possible future. The thought of traveling together with Vedette brought her so much joy. She imagined what it would be like to trudge through the snow and chase snow rabbits with her. And maybe, if Vedette allowed such a thing, they would huddle together and...

Gala tried to discard that last thought from her head as soon as it entered her mind. There was no way in hell that would ever happen. Not in a million years!

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-15-2022, 08:41 PM

Even though there were invisible chains tying her to the Ford, ones she was truly bound to; her mind ran free to a place Northern with Galatea. This was a feeling she hadn't had. Having this feeling of wanting to go somewhere and be on watch for the Isle. Adventuring over duty. Someone else over her set priorities. It made her stomach twirl, like she'd eaten, then went for a run. It also made her second guess. Should she be having these thoughts? 

But, all of it evaporated like she'd been hit by a beam of light, Galatea's tail wagging happily and a bright smile that could melt the iciest of hearts. She could feel a shatter in her own. "Well then. We must plan a time." She says, a list forming in her head of what they may need. And a wall of reality blocking her in. "... It'll have to wait a little." And then the knot formed in her stomach where the twirling had been. She might not be alive when all was said and done, the trial, the impending war. So, she did something that she'd never done before. 

"We could go now, actually." Her eyes flitted around them, but fog filled the area, encloaking them in the thick, silver air, hidden by the parting noon. Vedette's gaze settled back on Galatea, "Do you have any plans keeping you here?" She asked, finding herself praying to a God she didn't even believe in, for the loner's open schedule. 

the staff team luvs u
10-15-2022, 09:44 PM
Gala thought it was reasonable that they'd have to travel at a later time. Vedette most likely had duties she needed to attend to, which meant she didn't have much free time to travel. She was willing to wait as long as she needed to.

Though, the woman then followed up with something she didn't expect. We could go now. It almost felt too good to be true. Her eyes had widened slightly in surprise as she processed what Vedette said. What exactly compelled her to change her mind so quickly?

"N-not at all, actually. I'd be happy to go!" Gala replied with enthusiasm. "I guess it's time for me to lead the way?"

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-15-2022, 10:31 PM

Vedette's prayer rang true, with no plans keeping them both tied. The dusk dragon gave a curt nod. The woman rounded up to the female's side, allowing their shoulders to gently brush past one another — it gave her the same rush that she felt the last time she'd touched her. This time, the trip wouldn't be so short.

Vedette allowed herself one glance over her shoulder, fleeting as she caught the ocean in the distance. 'I'll be back. Don't die without me, dragons.' "Lead the way, Miss Galatea." And the cadet followed the other, allowing herself to give in to Galatea's lead. It would be the first time the wolf leading her, would not be deemed a commander by force or power. 

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top