Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Spirited Away

P
09-07-2022, 05:41 PM
For @Nikita
The man didn't typically leave the borders of Duskguard, content to stay there and patrol the lands. However, after his talk with @Tiberius, he figured that he might as well try to enjoy himself a little bit. It was difficult considering how strong his sense of duty was, but he figured he might as well take a day off... right? If he had it his way, he wouldn't do anything but patrol and provide food for his pack, but alas, his leaders were adamant that he took care of himself and so here he was, walking away from his flock. 

With a sigh, he would walk around, looking rather lost. He knew the area, sure, but he didn't know what to do here. How can he protect if there's nothing here to protect?

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
[Image: 63161113_aYIpOLLmgPvIAMb.gif?1680739723]
Ecologist
09-07-2022, 05:56 PM
"Hello."

Her voice was musical as she called out to the man. He seemed like a big fluffy bear. Or, a big fluff all around. She would not recommend hugging a bear unless they gave consent. Which can be said of anything, really, that you wanted to hug.

Nikki felt it was quite rude indeed to just ignore the man. He was in her vicinity, so why not be friendly? She was bent over a particularly nice-looking flower. American Bistort - ah, the name came back to her. 

It looked like a pussy willow. Was it? She knew the term was... No, no. She had to keep thinking. It hurt sometimes, but the words would come. "Sorry, I got lost in my thoughts for a moment" she added with a smile, looking up at the puffy man "I felt it was rude to ignore you. But you are free to ignore me."

She did not care.

@Genghis

the staff team luvs u
09-07-2022, 08:19 PM
The man had been so focused on trying to 'relax' and 'calm' that he didn't even notice the wolf until she spoke up, startling him for a moment. He didn't like that feeling, not knowing someone was there until they revealed themselves. Do you know how easily they could have attacked him? Too easily for Genghis' liking, that was how easy. Nonetheless, he would resist the urge to bark at her, not wanting to startle the woman that seemed rather nice to begin with. 

Regardless of how on edge he felt, the man would keep his cool exterior, nodding his head in greeting to her before speaking up in a deep, Mongolian accent. "Hello there, I have no reason to ignore you." He said simply, not having much else to say to that. However, he made no move to turn away from the conversation, simply standing there watching her for a moment.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
Ecologist
09-07-2022, 08:33 PM
"Your accent is quite nice."

Nikki was not one to be accusing or aggressive unless it was called for. His nerves about her calling to him remained oblivious to the woman. She stated her compliment as matter-of-fact, not seeking a boon in any way. The Bistort was nice too, a tickly plant. A flash of knowledge came into her mind again. The plant was useful in medicine. They were common enough wildflowers. Perfectly ordinary at a glance. She didn't have a penance for healing but she found the plant pretty and useful - if she needed it.

"Oh, well, good," she remarked when he told her he had no reason to ignore "I don't know many people here... It can be lonely" Nikki admitted, though far from the truth so far. The others were friendly and kind. But she felt like a piece of herself... was missing. "My name is Nikita" she introduced herself, turning to the man now fully. The Bistort was forgotten about momentarily in the face of being friendly to a stranger. Her curly tail wagged, remarking that he was a nice-looking man inwardly. "who might you be?"

He had dog traits, like her.

@Genghis

the staff team luvs u
09-08-2022, 02:23 AM
The man flicked an ear slightly as she complemented his accent, clearly unsure how to respond to that. He had never really been complemented before so he just kinda awkwardly stood there, muttering a very unsure "Thank you." It wasn't until she spoke of it being lonely not knowing anyone, he paused for a moment, having never really understood the concept of loneliness. "What does it mean to be lonely?" Sure, that was probably a stupid question, but he didn't really care, more curious than anything. As she asked his name though, he would bow his head slightly before speaking up again. "My name is Genghis. It is nice to meet you."

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
09-08-2022, 03:54 AM
"You're quite welcome." It was clear she wasn't looking for anything out of him. Her compliment had been a matter of fact. He seemed a bit self-conscious so she moved on quickly enough, moving the conversation back to the realm of courteousness.

She hummed, thoughtful. "It feels... like a big void" Nikki began "craving others; be they friends or family or strangers. Wanting to be around them but not being able to." She tilts her head, wondering if that was good enough.

He smelt like a pack, but she wasn't too sure. @Genghis seemed to have faith in solitude or he was used to being around others. "Sometimes, vagabonds even feel alone." Which she could understand, from a vagabond's point of view.

"I also just came to Canis" Nikki reveals "I don't know many people here." Probably explained it more.

the staff team luvs u
09-08-2022, 01:24 PM
The man was confused, not really knowing what to say to everything so instead he just stayed quiet and listened, cocking his head to the side as he did so. It wasn't until she had finished her little speech that he would speak up again. "Being lonely and being alone are two different things though is it not? I am alone but I do not feel a void." In reality, he was content being alone, forever being the watchful protector and silent guardian. 

He honestly didn't understand how others, mostly wolves, needed packmates and friends. Perhaps it was the same way that he needed a flock to guard? As she talked about just now coming here, he would nod slightly. "I came here not that long ago." He felt a bit awkward for a moment before shrugging. "If you are lonely, you can meet my flock - my pack."

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
09-08-2022, 01:35 PM
"You have quite the fair point" Nikki mused "I suppose, I am a bit more social than some? I am alone, even though I am around other people. I feel alone because I do not know them personally. I feel alone because I know that it may be our only meeting" Loners could remain alone and not feel it "you are content with yourself. I think you have more confidence than others." She adds this kindly, observantly. 

Genghis would offer her to meet his people. Nikki blinked, a bit surprised. "Well, that would be quite nice but" She shifted uneasily "I do not want wish to waste their time" Because "I do not know if I would like to join - would they expect me to?" She didn't know many here, and what she could remember of wolf packs... They did not like to talk much to outsiders. Or was that just the place she had come from?

"Perhaps you can tell me a bit more about them first?" she asked him, tilting her head.

the staff team luvs u
09-13-2022, 03:29 PM
He would nod slightly at her words before speaking up himself. "There is nothing wrong with being social." Him personally just wasn't. As she talked about having to join though, he would shake his head, not really thinking that Tiberius or Olive would force them to join. "Not at all, no one has to join if they do not want to." Sitting himself down, he would cock his head to the side for a moment before speaking. "We leave up north slightly, in the mountains of Frostfang. We are a family regardless of where you came from, we protect our own and provide for everyone in the pack." He clearly wasn't the best at this part, but he was trying his best.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
Ecologist
09-14-2022, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2022, 05:19 PM by Nikita. Edited 1 time in total.)
She would hum somewhat. Her eyes lifted, rolling back to look at the sky as she pondered. "I appreciate you telling me" Nikki was kind, as always, toward others who were kind back "it sounds very nice, though. Your flock." She made sure to use the word the man had as a sign of respect. Pack. Flock. Family.

A word different didn't make it wrong.

"I would go right now, but I sort of want to explore a bit longer around here" She raised a paw to gesture around them "so if you need to go back, you can. I won't get offended." It had been nice to talk, but surely the man had other things to do than talk to a vagabond like her? Her paw lowered, a polite smile on her face.

She tilted her head a bit, looking at the fluffy man. "Oh, how about this" Nikki dropped her eyes to the small bundle of herbs "you can take this back with you" The Bistort of course "it's a medicinal plant. It's good for stomach problems. This is called American Bistort."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
09-16-2022, 05:08 PM
The man nodded his head, catching that she also called them 'flock', noting that she likely did so for his benefit, something that he was grateful about. As she talked about heading out, he would pause for a moment, unsure if this was her way of asking her to come with him or not. He wasn't the best at reading between the lines so he was confused at her intentions. Cocking his head to the side slightly, he would speak up, confusion in his voice. "Did you want me to come with you? I am on a... vacation, from my duties right now. My King believes that I work too hard." He hated that, but also if he went on a little excursion then maybe that was what Tiberius wanted?

As she offered him the flower, he would reach down to sniff it, committing the sight and smell to memory. "American Bistort. Stomach problems."  He repeated after her, never really been one for plants but he sure loved to learn new things.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
09-16-2022, 05:24 PM
She tittered thoughtfully. "No, no, it's okay" Nikki began, shaking her head "you've been good company, of course, but I'm afraid I... get distracted and wander a bit too far. Too far away from your flock." If Genghis was truly a hardworking individual, she would hate for him to take so long getting back to Duskguard. He probably wanted to go back now.

"I'll probably circle back in a few weeks or so" Nikki felt a bit of shame suddenly - did he want to go with her? Was he trying to protect her? "it wouldn't be fair to ask you to come with me for that entire time." She smiled at the man kindly, not put off by his questions but knowing it truly was not fair to ask. He belonged to his family, and they would surely miss him!

However, he did commit the flower to memory. She nodded. "Maybe my memory will come back truly by then" she added "then I can teach you more plants." Nikki beamed, wagging her curly tail.

the staff team luvs u
09-16-2022, 07:11 PM
The man was conflicted, though he would accept what she wanted. Reluctantly, and slightly saddened as he did want to go on an adventure, he would nod. "Very well, if you find yourself back in the Tundra, head North East and you will find Duskguard. I will know you are there." He knew when anyone was at his borders, so it wasn't difficult to say that. However, the only one that may know before him was Tiberius, though he doubted the man would turn her away. 

As she spoke of teaching him herbs, he would smile and small, yet genuine smile. "I think I would like that, I am not a healer, I am a guardian, but I guess it does not hurt to learn." He did quite enjoy learning as well as teaching, though his knowledge was in something different.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
09-16-2022, 07:16 PM
If she knew, if he persisted, she would have relented. Truly, he was a good company to have - but she felt guilty if she took him away from his people. A bit of sadness seemed to enter his eyes or was that just her fickle imagination? Nikki leaned in, bumping her nose against his cheek if allowed. A sign of trust. She leaned back, grinning. "I look forward to it."

It was all she said before she gave a nod, turning to drift away. Like some kind of spirit, hard to grasp and hold onto, she managed to vanish from sight once her 'work' was done. The last flick of her curly tail was given to Genghis, though. She barked a farewell after she was from his sight as if letting him know she'd come back once her silly little work was done. Wanderings aside, chatting was much more fun!

/exit

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top