Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
each step feels bigger

Afternoon Drizzle/Rain
P
Adventurer
09-07-2022, 03:08 AM
Through the rain, Tallulah ventured.

She left the Plains behind momentarily, content to explore this realm she found herself in. Her heterochromia eyes sought a path and shelter, finding one through the mountain pass. She had never seen the likes of such a place - to her knowledge anyway. If it was truly to believe, she lost her memories.

There was no reason not to believe honest words. The young woman walked until she felt her paws burn with use. She only stopped when she hit the north coast, gazing across this setting with a neutral look. She needed to scout more, but this would do for the coming evening. Until she found a suitable den, that is. 

@Vendrussel

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 53568461_UCgDR8zToPO5WLQ.png]
FALLING TOO FAST TO PREPARE FOR THIS
TRIPPING IN THIS WORLD COULD BE DANGEROUS
Ecologist
09-07-2022, 03:51 AM
A member of Dragonford disappeared, not a complete stranger, but not someone who was completely familial, but enough where Vendrussel was suspicious of her disappearance. She went searching, momentarily departing from the Ford on the look for this storm dragon, a respectable woman of age that she couldn't help but wonder, and prayed the other was alright. It would ease one's heart knowing at the very least she left in good-health, and was not either wisped away as they all had been into this land, or even worse. Would Northfall do such an act? She believed so. Although she knew too, she couldn't blame them too hardly ; for blood was on her paws first.

The afternoon was high, and a storm was curling in. A drizzle hung overhead, and she gazed up to see the clouds swarming. It didn't look like they'd get any worse, a light gray settling upon them. At least it meant the sea wouldn't too overbearing by the time she returned.. As she moved forth, Vendrussel noticed a woman in the distance, looking at the coast. Lightly did the dragoness chuffed at her, a gaining of attention just for a moment to ask her a question, if allowed so.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-07-2022, 04:03 AM
Light entered Tallulah's eyes at the realization of another. She turned her neck to look at the one who alerted her, a bit thankful for it. Most would march up and start talking. Others would continue on. Many, many demanded time. This was just a request from a stranger, who owed her nothing and she owed them nothing.

"Howdy, ma'am" she dipped her skull to the stranger "can I help ya with an'thing?" Be it a conversation, questions, or what... They had sought her out for a purpose. Tallulah was not one to deny such things. If she could help, she would help. But she was also woefully unprepared for the world she found herself in too. Sadly, she was probably the worst person to ask.

the staff team luvs u
09-07-2022, 04:12 AM
She was a pretty thing, dipped in warm-browns, however quite unusual features. Not even with mentioning her colors, she held something upon her head that the dragoness didn't immediately see, as well as something wrapped around her neck. Like a seaweed, but finely and smooth, not smelling of the salt nor' even as ugly as so — not objects that she knew of. The wolf as a whole as a strange entity, even her patterns did not speak wolven, but more of dog origins.

Her accent.. Reminded her of Tiberius, "I am looking for a woman," but business was elsehwhere, she smiled lightly to caution the other she meant no harm, and was only an inquiring wolf, "she is someone older, brown-gray fur and eyes by the name of Dreadnought. By any chance have you come across her?"

the staff team luvs u
09-07-2022, 04:20 AM
Tallulah frowned thoughtfully. "Can't say I've seen this woman" she told the other bluntly, truthfully but also kindly "y'see I just 'woke up' over by the Plains" Her eyes drifted to the eastern locations "only know a handful of folks so far. Sorry, ma'am... But I can help ya look around here?"

The offer was genuine. She didn't want anyone to be lost or hurt, not when Tallulah could do something about it. Helping a stranger was not a foreign concept to her so far. Maybe it was a personality trait, something she had missed when waking up. Something someone could not take for true.

"Name's Tallulah, ma'am. If ya want some assistance, I would like to help out."

the staff team luvs u
09-07-2022, 09:34 PM
She sighed, but kept a smile as lightly her ears crested down. She knew she wouldn't be able to find the storm dragon, not without any clues or evidence otherwise. At least, there was no evidence of otherwise a fight or a struggle, bringing but a little sadness to think if she simply disappeared without a word, assuming a relationship was lightly more then complete strangers. Maybe it was on her for reading it too much, but Vendrussel will keep the memory of Dreadnought, and hope to find her once again.

"It's quite alright, thank you though," she lightened her attitude with the smallest grin, ears perking up as she shook her pelt lightly as the other explained her name, and.. Her awakening, "I am Vendrussel, of the ford," she said, "it's not uncommon in these lands to simply 'appear' here, my own was about a year ago." Time did fly, she thought ; freshly graduating from a yearling to a young adult, but that was no more, for now the dragoness was freshly on her third year and counting. Young to the bones, but it would not last forever.

the staff team luvs u
09-07-2022, 09:44 PM
The offer was turned down, but Tallulah was not offended. She gave a nod. Lady - "Vendrussel" the woman repeated "aye, I've met some folks who've told me as such" It still did not sit well with her but ah well "this land been around a long time then." A year or two... She half expected it to be new, and she did not know why. It still made her uneasy and suspicious.

"I hope ya find yer friend" she added politely, furrowing her brow "if I see or hear signs, I'll try to relay a message" But how? She could not know, but the offer still stood. It hurt her emotionally to believe someone was missin' and someone was lookin' for them "if ya don't mind me askin', ma'am, do you live round here? Ya have the look of the sea."

And folks who looked akin to nature oft were found in nature's graces. "I'm trying to find my way here" Tallulah continued "get me bearings, as it were."

the staff team luvs u
09-10-2022, 04:30 PM
"It seemed like this land was barren of wolves, to be honest," as she looked around, it remained only the two who spoke, "when I came to most wolves were still settling, and claimed the same — that we all had arrived here, one way or another." Many groups were still holding bearings, fresh in markings that caused herself and the ford trouble. A group who claimed to be first laid within the mountains, but their scent did not hold firm before her own did.. Then the troubles continued to happen. She couldn't help but wonder with so, if others held some same issues, groups that squabbled as wolves tried to hold their own claim, their own chapter and legacy. Yet now, she had been around for a year, so surely some had settled.

"Thank you, that's all I could ask," she shook her head at the other's offer. The best could be done was respect what was done and hope word of mouth would let it be known what has happened, but unfortuently none in the Ford could go off for long and try to scout for her, as well as the others who simply disappeared. Maybe just as they appeared, they were taken back — this was one of the thoughts Vendrussel had.

Wolves leaving packs were not unheard of, but for her own Clan, it was.

"Perhaps I can help you, I know most of the region and can give names of packs if you wish."

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-10-2022, 04:42 PM
"That would be swell, thank ye kindly."

So far she had been to the Plains, Mountains... Not much had been explored thus far. The sea was a cruel mistress, barely forgiving. She had never seen the sea until now - and she had a faint memory of someone telling her about it. In a past life. The sea - is vast and cold, hosting tropical creatures and ones to fear. From sharks to whales, or beach-faring folks like walruses and seals.  

"I've met some folks on the Plains" her ears angled to the east, where she had come from "but none could tell me bout the packs here" She dipped her head slightly, indicating the woman could tell her any time she wished "I reckon they didn't want to overwhelm me at first." Tallulah knew Kore had been good to her but was reluctant to offer a pack right away -

- due to her being 'dumped' into the world.

@Vendrussel

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
09-10-2022, 04:52 PM
"When I was in the plains, the only pack I knew was Little Haven," where they around? She wondered, "I can only give some direction toward the mountain and tundra packs." She would offer a pitied smile, a meek apology that her information can only go so far, but it was the best she could do. She didn't mind helping someone, especially if they were new to the land — and wondering where was what. It would be easier to know what lands to avoid, in-case trouble brewed from those packs.

"In the tundra you will find Duskguard, they are friendly, as well as was Shiroshika," at the moment Vendrussel knew of their name, a man had told her quite some time ago — a handsome one, she would add. However, she was not aware of the whole discourse, and their movement to the mountains. All she knew, was Tiberius left it, "you will find below is Elysium, they are neighbors with another whose name I do not know. Going further is Empyrean."

They were some nearby her own land, "Highvalley is also around, they are a relatively knew pack." Somewhere in their own vale, she remembered the man named Percvial and his wife as if it was only yesterday. They were a friendly one, not realizing the light colorism that they took ; but paid no mind. As long as they were only friendly terms.

"To the coast is Northfall and Dragonford — I am in the Ford.. At the moment the two packs are at war, it'd be wise to avoid the upper coast if you do not want to be in the cross-fire." She would advise the stranger with a more serious remark on the matter ; although gave names to many, it would do no good if she did not warn of certain relations. Who wants to join or even be near one where war is floating?

Vendrussel always made sure to inform those who wanted to join her own pack, what they were getting into.

the staff team luvs u
09-10-2022, 05:04 PM
 War.

The term was... familiar and not. Tallulah mentally sucked in a breath, wonderin' if it was the same as raids made by bandits and highwaymen. "I hope for a solution to this war of yours, Lady @Vendrussel..." she added courteously "though I know it ain't as simple as shakin' paws sometimes." She shook her head, her hat swaying with the motion.

War never changes.

True, she didn't know who was at fault. Northfall or Ford, it didn't matter to her really. Tallulah felt the sea woman had been upfront and polite, so she would do the same to Vendrussel. "Thank ye for the information" she said with a slow nod "the sea ain't known to me, but I ain't averse to tryin' in a new place... I just wanna scout a bit first before decidin'."

It was her own turn to look apologetic. Vendrussel gave her information for free, and all Tallulah could do was hope to see the woman she was looking for. She also was a bit hesitant due to the war. Was that a good idea and a good time to get involved - when she was so new here?

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
09-10-2022, 05:10 PM
There was a tense smile ; relations were still happening concerning it, but she knew that it was only any day when it would come through. Efforts to even save their own was but mockery, for their kind could not even give the bit of respect to those who died doing so. She would remember Belial, and she would remember his sacrifice, and how Northfall spat on it.

"Thank you. I would not recommend joining Northfall for this reason, as they started the battle, and most likely many more to come." The tensions were high as by their whims, but Vendrussel would admit ; she sparked what was the war. Or was it? if it wasn't for their miscommunications and greed on land, would the other have perished by now? If she could look back — she would not make the same choice again. It was regret, that flashed for a moment, "greed is strong."

She shook her head, flexing off what was that tension and smiled softly, "Dragonford always welcomes any who is interested. Though there is many fine packs around as well." Vendrussel wouldn't discourage from other packs, none gave a reason to. Although there was some questions about Empyrean, they've done nothing else to show wrong, as well as any other. She imagined any would wholly welcome this girl.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-10-2022, 05:20 PM
Northfall and their greed. Tallulah frowned a bit deeper, but could not spark a memory of grief and war. Had she lived a peaceful life? Had she been sheltered by protective folks, blessed as that was? "Aye" she agreed quietly, nodding slowly "I'll be quick to give 'em a wide berth." Whether it was true or not - that Northfall started the war - she had no reason to doubt the words of @Vendrussel anyway.

She believed the woman.

"I've no doubt yer pack is fine too" Tallulah said warmly this time "thank ye for the information, truly" She would take it all with a lack of salt "and if I'm gonna visit 'em all, I best get going." It felt sad that Vendrussel was going back to potentially fight. As much as she wanted to join the brawl, it was less of a spat and more of a bloody life or death. Something she wasn't keen to get into.

Instead, she hoped she'd see the woman again. Alive.

"Safe travels." Tallulah turned, going back the way she came. There was no reason to visit Northfall after all, despite having located the pack with the other's help and her own scouting. She made her way back south, angling her steps away from the sea's embrace. Going further in, where mountains reigned as king and queen. With a direction in mind, she would walk and walk until she found a border.

And there, she would ask the questions. Shiroshika. Elysium. Duskguard. Little Haven. Unknown to her, her paws would take her to the border of Vanderfell in a few days time.

/exit

the staff team luvs u
09-10-2022, 05:29 PM
"Be well on your travels and decision. I hope we meet again." Although short, she wondered whether to meet this miss ever again. A woman who held an oddity of colors and decoration. She may not choose the Ford — and that was fine. Vendrussel wasn't expecting to try and offer recruitment, for the moment was to spent looking for another ; but fate finds away. Whether to a new packmate, or but a friend in these wilds.. One or another — a meeting that was well.

Now they would depart, and she would spend but just a little more time to see if there was any indication of Dreadnought somewhere nearby.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top