Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

miss americana & the heartbreak prince

Hunter
09-05-2022, 08:48 PM
Edith had told @Warwick and @Calhoun what had happened between her and Rafferty. She was both exhausted and distressed, stretched thin by the range of her emotions. She expressed herself in ways she hadn’t thought possible. She cried herself dry and allowed for herself to mourn openly. It had been cathartic—but it wasn’t enough. She longed for @;"Célnes" and her embrace.

She had traveled through the night and well into the morning to return home. Thoughts of @Rafferty plagued her, and they increased as she caught his scent along the borders. He had beaten her here and more than likely had already been accepted into the pack. That thought alone gutted her as she realized she would have to actively avoid him. Edith tried to push her concern aside but she couldn’t. The hurt of it all was still too fresh.

”M-Mom?” she called, following her mother’s scent-trail with blurry eyes. ”W-Where are you?” Edith spoke with a fragility that she hadn’t uttered since she was younger.

the staff team luvs u
09-05-2022, 08:54 PM
She was just thinking about her kin, and how they were. Whether they achieved what they sought for their adventures, or something interesting altogether. She hoped one way or another it spread the word of Elkshire, less then the High Elk but was a win-win situation regardless, she so thought, wholly unaware of any turmoils they held against her.. Well most, as Maral was a different case, and Vermillion as well had cried a few times of feeling unwanted and different.

Her ears swerved, there was the familiar sound of Edith, and yet unfamiliar at the same time ; her arrogant daughter was not one to fall into such.. Despair. Although the word Mom was always a slight pained experience, Celnes tried to teach them, she wanted mother, and yet whenever something dire had happened, 'mom' always seemed to appear. It brought concern, despite that light annoyance in the mixture.

She trotted over, "my dear Edith," Celnes coo'd, "what is wrong," though the Queen lacked at being a mother to many, there was few she truly did so. She wished to embrace her eldest daughter, cradle like she was so young before turning to such a devil against the rest, and even herself.

She could only assume her attitude didn't get her far in the outside.

the staff team luvs u
09-05-2022, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2022, 09:09 PM by Edith. Edited 4 times in total.)
”My dear Edith,” the Queen cooed, ”what is wrong?”

Edith allowed herself to cry—to allow her tears flow freely and for her body to quake—as she rushed to press herself against her mother. ”O-Oh mother,” she sniffed, speaking into the downy fur of Célnes’s breast, ”I-I’ve ruined everything. I-I’ve s-s-sinned and n-body l-l-ikes me and h-have not l-l-ived by H-His way—e-even though I thought I was-s-s on the right path,” Rafferty’s criticism had caused her thoughts to escalate and consider who else hated her because of how she had treated them.

”And R-Rafferty ha-a-ates me! And it’s all my fault!” That was all she was able to get in until she was overtaken by a bout of uncontrollable sobbing.

the staff team luvs u
09-05-2022, 09:17 PM
Something about seeing her prideful daughter be smitten with tears was perhaps sickingly pleasing, and yet dueled with the worry of what could bring someone off. She would never show this though, more licking her dearest daughter to try and appease her tears and stuttering, something Vermillion would do ; but not her. A new experience was unfolding, and she couldn't help but raise a subtle brow when the name Rafferty was brought up.

The boy who just joined..?

"Oh my dear," she rubbed her nose against Edith's head, "the High Elk is all forgiving, especially to those who are dedicated. Repenting is the first step," wouldn't it be grand if she perhaps learned that her youngest siblings were not so damnable? But it seems that was not the reason she was in such a despair, was it?

"You are blessed, and finding your own way. Surely so, expressing your regret will reform what was lost."

Although, the real question was to be, did he really hurt her? She narrowed her eyes lightly in thinking of the new man in the woods, lightly blessed in colors and touched with whites, an eye missing.. It seemed he was playing a bit too much with her daughters.

the staff team luvs u
09-05-2022, 09:32 PM
Edith pulled from the embrace to look up to Célnes and nodded as she was instructed to repent. ”I’ve done a lot of awful things,” more things than she could count on all paws, ”And I had a lot of repenting to do.” She briefly wondered if the Queen was ashamed for all she had done.

”How do I even start to beg forgiveness from everybody?” she asked.

the staff team luvs u
09-05-2022, 09:41 PM
"Forgiveness begins with showing, why don't you try and apologize? It is not a weakness, but a strength to learn and improve for a later date." As the other pulled away and asked, Celnes continued smiling and teaching so. Her tail swayed lightly in the background, feeling jolly that her daughter was turning a new leaf perhaps altogether, and to truly shine as she should. Warwick, though her Heir.. Celnes was welcoming to when her young would show more promise, and become more then the title they were born with.

"Smile, my dear. Smile to show kindness and that you mean well." To lick away her tears, Celnes would depart what she always does — smiling. Although many times it was simply a facade for more wicked thoughts, it was a key cornerstone to welcoming many and politics ahead ; shine brightly with a warmth that may not be true, but to falsify with those around. Maybe Edith too would learn to hide such ugly thoughts that way.

the staff team luvs u
09-05-2022, 09:57 PM
”What happens if apologizing isn’t enough?” Edith asked. She knew that their world wasn’t perfect and that everything wasn’t just black and white. ”Is there more that I can do than apologize?”

She hadn’t smiled since her heart had been broken—maybe doing so would help. Her smile faltered as quickly as it had formed, and she looked up to the Queen sadly. ”I will try, mother. It hurts too much right now.”

[Image: GrimyFocusedAlbertosaurus-max-1mb.gif]

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
09-07-2022, 10:22 PM
"To show that you mean well, actions often speak louder then words." Ah, perhaps what was why she detested the golden leader across the woods ; who held the name of Queen, but spoke the opposite of one should be. A judgement given, a dislike — a wondering whether she too let her actions show her reasonings. Politics were often but with both words and showing of prowess between leaders and groups alike.

"You will do fine, you are a Deorwine, a Princess." She was royalty, and although lessons have grown short with her temper and more barbaric ways ; nonetheless was one born into that blue-blooded grace, and may as well slowly lean into it as she ages. At least, this is what Celnes hopes, especially as her behavior eventually caught up to her.

the staff team luvs u
09-18-2022, 06:58 PM
It was still yet to be determined if Edith's change of heart would last. She had never really particularly cared about how others perceived her and usually was fiercely independent. Why was it so different when Rafferty was involved—why had his criticisms hurt so much? Had The High Elk spoken to her through him? Was this her tell-tale sign that she did need to repent?

She couldn't find any answers, and it only deepened her confusion. 

"You will do fine; you are a [I]Deorwine, a Princess, "[/i] Célnes reminded her. Edith sat a little taller and felt her pity ebb; she had much going for her despite the falling out.

"I am," she replied, feeling a little more confident. "And I am blessed by Him—there is no reason to cry."

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
09-28-2022, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2022, 07:33 PM by Célnes.)
"He and I, are proud of you." For some moments it couldn't be denied she had looked at Edith as.. A sort of failure of an upbringing, her troubles and devotion was not the direction that Celnes intended, and she well-damned near gave up. But now her heart swarmed with affection and love, for a man who changed her for the better.

wrap?

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-05-2022, 07:32 PM
Yup! Thanks for the thread!

"That's all that I want," Edith lied. "I hope that I will continue to make you proud—as well as Elkshire and The High Elk." Her life wasn't as simple as she made it out to be; there were so many more things that she desired. Things that she hadn't said out loud yet. 

She pulled away from her mother. "If you don't mind—I must excuse myself," she said, bowing. "I need to gather my antlers and find a place to speak with Him about all of this. I pray that He has an answer for me." Once she was excused she did just as she had said, finding herself a secluded spot within the Crown. She spoke to Him at length about what she needed to be done and devised a plan from there.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top