Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
She's ripping wings off of butterflies

Afternoon Sunny/Clear
P
Shiroshika
08-26-2022, 02:46 AM
 It was long overdue but she wanted to make sure that it was the best pelt it could possibly be. So, she'd waited and waited until she had the perfect foxes. Two pure white ones that she'd gotten the fur off of and then rubbed in flowers. Quicksilver liked flowers, right? Reiko too, she was sure. So, she'd made sure they smelled lovely before bringing them over to the monarch's.

They were draped across her back as she stood outside of the den. She didn't want to barge in in case the little ones were sleeping. So, she softly called out, "Reeeiikkkooo? Are you there?" She cocked her head to the side listening before she would dare step inside.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.gif]
Medic
08-26-2022, 04:10 PM
It was a safe assumption to think that Reiko would be with her children at this time. They were still so young and although they were beginning to wean off of her milk and onto chewed up food - it was still a crucial time in their development for her to remain close by their side. Every so often she would leave the babysitting duties to Quicksilver as their father he should bond with them as much as she was, and begin to resume her tasks as Empress.

For now however, she curled around their small but growing bodies. Grooming them regularly and humming sweet songs to help them learn words and nurture their imaginations. Gyrfalcon calling softly from the den's entrance drew the woman's attention, smoothly twisting her crown to smile at the bird who called to her. “Gyrfalcon, have you come to see the little ones?” Of course, she didn't assume the woman was here for her but for the youth that were snuggled up against her.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
08-26-2022, 07:04 PM
 Reiko answered her from within, it sounded like she was alone. She stepped inside after her empress addressed her and she gave the woman, who she considered a close friend, a smile. Not everyone received a genuine one of those from her anymore, just the special ones in her life. "No." Oops, that probably sounded... callous. "I mean, yes, them too but, uh, mostly you." She gave a sheepish, apologetic smile. "I think they're cute I just wanted to give a gift to the family and talk to you and..." She gave an exaggerated sigh and walked over so she could carefully lay the pelts next to the monarch. "Here, just take these before I make more of an ass of myself. What I meant to say is that you guys are awesome and I wanted to give you all some presents and I want to talk to you and see how you were doing because I haven't in a while and I like talking to you." Jeez, was that so hard to do? Why did she have to always put her foot in her mouth nowadays.

Then, she flopped down on the ground, looking at the cute little bundles of life next to Reiko with a soft smile that she didn't realize was on her face. She liked pups, probably would never have any, but she liked them.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
08-26-2022, 07:31 PM
Gyrfalcon had always been a little curt - more so after Vera's attack than before, and so her bluntness had been completely ignored as her usual behaviour. Nothing to linger on as strange or personal but instead curious as to know what else would bring the bird to the den. Mostly you, she said, which made the Empress blush. After a year of strife and what felt like a lot of personal hatred aimed toward her, it was warming to be sought in a pleasant way by one who was not forced to through familial relations or diplomacy.

“Gyrfalcon they're beautiful.” She gasped at the offering of white fox pelts. So soft and well preserved, groomed and perfect for not only the puppies to lay on but would help the parents as well by spreading what they had so all of them could lay comfortably. After bundling up what they had for the birthing, Reiko had simply kept the newborns in the same nest of furs to make sure they were as comfortable as possible.

“Yes... I have been occupied, my apologies.” Smiling awkwardly, it was hard to focus on speaking with others in the pack when new children were around to care for. Especially when they were hers.

It did make her wonder however if Cirilla and Gyrfalcon would seek out a donor to give them their own puppies - an invasive question Reiko would keep to herself. She did, however, hope that Gyrfalcon was here to request permission (of which would be given without question). There was only one puppy born in Shiroshika before the Empress' and now he had gone with his mother and Izumi on their own journey.

laying her head between pale paws, she gazed at the autumn-coloured woman with a beckoning stare. “I am all ears lady Gyrfalcon, what shall we talk about? Have I missed anything while tending to the children?”

the staff team luvs u
08-27-2022, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 12:39 AM by Gyrfalcon.)
 Bless sweet Reiko, always understanding that her crass and blunt words were never meant in offense... she just wasn't the same as before. Unable to quite hold her tongue in the worst way... or what she imagined was the worst possible way. She was always harder on herself nowadays. "I'm glad you like them." She was quite pleased that her empress loved the gifts which there was always a fear in her that someone would hate the pelts she offered. Even if she didn't expressly say it. "Pleeeaaasse, don't apologize, you've got nothing to apologize for. You've had a helluva lot of stuff going on." Good and bad.

"To be honest, you've not missed much. I've been busy doin' my duties too. Cirilla and I got back together a while back but I'm sure you already knew that... then this ass attacked me but I think Orlaith's probably kicked his ass by now." She laughed, realizing how boring she had gotten. "I just wanted to see how you were doing. What's it like being married? Any different than not? Is it everything you ever wanted?" Okay, she didn't realize it but... but she wanted to know. Maybe she could ask Cirilla so they could make it super official instead of sort of official but she didn't know if she should or not. What if Cirilla just laughed at her if she asked? What if she was a horrible wife?

the staff team luvs u
Medic
08-27-2022, 04:55 PM
“I love them.” Yes, she didn't just like them, it was a step just beyond that. Smiling sheepishly at Gyrfalcon's reassurance with doe eyes, tilting her head down as she tried to hide the little smile but was betrayed by the sway in her tail. The Empress was thankful for Gyrfalcon. Where Izumi had left them and Reiko empty, Gyrfalcon had quickly filled that spot that the woman desperately needed. The reassurance. The friendly gestures and words. Where there were wounds Reiko could not mend, Gyrfalcon was there to assist.

The new Duchess mentioned that she and Cirilla had gotten back together... of which Reiko was aware of. She had spotted them every so often together, swiftly turning her attention away and not wanting to pry but it was nice to see the two women making amends. Before she could speak on it, her posture grew rigid. Shooting her head up in shock and horror. “Attack?!” if it wasn't for the slumbering whelps she would have shrilled, but instead, her pitch was silenced and only squeaked. Though the bird mentioned it casually, it sent panic through the woman. A cold, sharp knife ran its blade down her spine. It was not Kuhn, but someone new and she wasn't certain if that made it better or worse. “By whom?” She would have to ask @Orlaith about this to make sure the attacker was dealt with.

The following questions were completely bulldozed over for the moment. There was nothing casual about an attack after all. “Did they wound you?” Oh this is what happens when she shirks her duties, even if it was for pregnancy and newborns!

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2022, 08:51 PM
 Oof, yeah, she probably should have mentioned that before. It had happened a while ago now and there was so much going on that she just hadn't thought about it. "I never got his name but he was some ugly dude, mostly black and gray with some brownish spots on him. His eyes were yellow." She curled her lip in distaste as she remembered his face and general demeanor. "He had a disgusting attitude and he gave me this," She leaned her head down, trying to extend her neck in a way that Reiko would be able to see the scar that had healed on the back of her neck.

"Haven't seen hide nor hair of him again though, thank fuck, he most likely must have moved on. But last I saw he was in plains that are west of here at least a season or two ago." She wanted to reassure the monarch that things were okay. It was likely just a chance encounter with some nasty wandering bastard. It happened, you just never knew who was terrible and who wasn't until you talked to them. Maybe she ought to hold random wolves even more at arms length.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
08-31-2022, 07:09 PM
The news that someone had attacked Gyrfalcon had made the Empress prickly beyond all reason. Extending her neck to get a better view of the bird's scars brought a frown to her lips as she peered through the fur to the reminder of a new wound on the Duchess. “I believe I have something that can assist in ridding yourself of such an awful memory.” They couldn't bring back her leg, but the scar they could try to minimize it at least.

She'd work on tucking in the youths, making sure they were safe and warm while the woman beckoned for Gyrfalcon to guide them out of the den. They wouldn't be long, the herbs weren't kept far from the nursery for these reasons.

“Gyrfalcon... why have you not told me sooner?” On their way to the herbs in mind, Reiko found herself almost wounded to think that she wasn't trusted with something like this. She had failed again to keep her members safe. Was it because they didn't think she would do anything due to the children in her care? As though they would be left without her when youths were in the equation?

the staff team luvs u
09-07-2022, 10:24 PM
 "Miracle herbs, I assume?" She said, with a dose of humor to her normally embittered words. She looked at the littles that were happily sleeping and she wondered if she would ever have littles of her own. Although, the thought of doing what needed to be done for such a thing made her want to barf. Eck. In any case, she took her mind from there and focused back on the present. She stood up, and lead the way out into the fresh air. She breathed in deep... and nearly stumbled when Reiko asked the that simple question.

She lowered her head, feeling guilty that she hadn't brought it to the empress before now. "I dunno... I've just been absorbed in my work," And feeling sorry for herself. "And when I hadn't caught scent of him again, didn't think it was an issue. Guy seemed long gone so it wasn't something I was thinking about." At least, not until she was specifically asked about it. "Besides, you had your wedding and your kids and all that to think about. I didn't wanna bother you with anything else, especially since it's sorted itself out." And if it hadn't she'd find Orlaith and they'd go kick some ass together or something.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
09-14-2022, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2022, 10:30 PM by Reiko.)
“I hope so.” Returning the humour - she could only hope it would do the miracle of returning the missing fur on Gyrfalon's neck. She was missing enough as it is and to add insult to injury with missing fur elsewhere, well, that wasn't acceptable for someone who had already gone through so much already. The journey would be short, Reiko always preferred to keep her herbs close by for moments like these.

Pausing at the entrance of the medicine den, the aroma of dried plants was strongest here and already she could pick out a few in mind to offer to Gyrfalcon.

The bird has valid reasons, the Empress wouldn't be upset with her but still the concern lingered. Smiling softly in hopes to ease Gyrfalcon's concern for not telling her Empress, and possibly... a friend, she spoke gently despite the lingering wounds that lightly racked her brain. “No matter what goes on in my personal life, the pack, our members, will always come first. Without you all, we have no pack, no home. Your safety is my priority.” if allowed, she'd press her nose against Gyrfalcon's cheek. Of course she had often spoke that Hotaru and her family's safety always came first... but that also came along with the pack.

The pack would be cared for and thus, in turn, her family would be cared for as well. If the pack was in danger, so too was her family. It was a delicate balance that had to be kept and respect held toward each and every member to let it blossom properly.

“Now, shall we deal with that scar of yours?”

the staff team luvs u
09-20-2022, 01:42 AM
 Reiko was always so good at helping wounds. Both those outside of the body as well as within. Gyrfalcon looked at Reiko, giving a soft, grateful smile. She leaned a bit into the touch, grateful for it and the reassurance from her friend. "Okay... I'll remember that." She said softly, warmed by the words and all the more glad that she ran with Shiroshika. No matter the trials and tribulations, they were family here and all had each others backs. Without the empress they'd have no one to rally behind and Gyrfalcon knew she'd follow Reiko to the ends of the earth.

And then, because she couldn't help herself, "I'll make sure to tell you every single little terrible thing that happens. Including when I stepped on a sharp rock the other day." If she were looking, Reiko would see Gyrfalcon's tongue poking teasingly out of her mouth and the amused smirk on her face.

She stepped closer and then dipped her head down so the smaller woman could see the back of her neck. "Yup! Let's see those miracles."

the staff team luvs u
Medic
09-20-2022, 07:18 PM
“I will pluck out every little bramble thorn, and kiss even the smallest of scrapes.” She returned the jest with the equal amount of humour laced in her dulcet tones - however there was some truth behind it. For a while now she was growing a love for Gyrfalcon, one that she hadn't felt since the troubles with Izumi began - one that she missed out on with her own sister prior to leaving the clan. A sister-like bond with someone else of the same sex, a bond like none other.

Meanwhile she began to chew on a few sprigs of lavender to soften them up, carefully drawing out the oils and placing them on the wound Gyrfalcon had shown. Carefully combing it through the hair and contact with the skin to begin the process. Horsetail was crushed on the rocks under their feet, not wanting to risk forming an addiction to the plant that was suspected to be possible.

“Lavender and Horsetail, re-apply the poultice for a few weeks. You can ask me or anyone else to prepare and put it on for you.” Seeing how it was in a place that Gyrfalcon couldn't reach alone. “The longer the treatment, the better the results to regrowing that beautiful fur of yours.”

the staff team luvs u
10-02-2022, 10:16 PM
 "How generous, I feel better already." Deadpan and then... she couldn't hold it in anymore and started to laugh, quietly as not to accidentally wake the children sleeping within the den nearby.

Reiko began to work and while she did so, Gyrfalcon watched in some amount of awe at what she did. Then, the empress reached forward to place the poultice on the back of her neck. Poultices always felt weird when they were applied but she supposed having the fur grow back would be worth it.

She didn't want to be...

Like her.

She closed her eyes and then opened them after Reiko finished. She sat all the way up and grinned, "I can't wait. I'll be the most beautiful wolf in Shiroshika." Pfft, yeah right... Still, she put on a show by pursing her lips as if she was being conceited about her "beauty". "So, anything else I need to know about these plants? I saw you crushing that --horsetail, right?-- with your paws and not your mouth." In case she got Cirilla to do it, wouldn't want her little ray of sunshine to be hurt in some way.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top