Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Taxus brevifolia

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
AW
Adventurer
Hunter
08-26-2022, 02:12 AM
Traveling southwards through the plains, Oleander found themselves succumbing to boredom. Was there really much to do in a place like this? Sure it was a pretty place, but there wasn't much else to it so far. Sometimes, they loathed being inside a vessel without any opposable thumbs.

Soon enough, the raven came across a picturesque field dotted with flowers of varying hues. As they came further in, the scents of various flowers and fruits filled their nose. Their mouth began to water. When was the last time they had something sweet? 

Spotting a particularly eye-catching shrub of black berries, they slinked towards it. After a few cautious sniffs, they concluded that they were safe to eat. They plucked some off a branch with their teeth. As they chewed, the pleasant, tart sweetness burst in their mouth, causing their tail to sway in delight.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
08-26-2022, 07:52 PM
The meadows always provided an abundant of resources, that before Uriel had never noticed. She was often memorized by the beauty that there was, and the delicious of berries that are brought around, making such a lush place to be by. A few times she would often smell many loners and pack wolves within the area, so Uriel didn't come as much as she liked, not wishing to be a bother.. But as fall was coming soon, the plethora of herbs that grew in the floral meadow would soon decrease, and she thought it was best to nab some. Not an expert, but enough she could assure those close around, just for the mildest of help.

There was some borage she saw in the distance, moving to gather so — but stopped in her tracks as Uriel saw a rather dark wolf in the distance, munching on blackberries, "hello," Uriel dipped her head politely in greeting, as she meekly started to shuffle closer to the herb.

the staff team luvs u
08-26-2022, 08:35 PM
Oleander's ears perked up at the sound of a new voice. Licking any remaining juice from their lips, they turned around to see a she-wolf whose fur reminded them of the golden grasses of the plains. Judging from the way she moved, she was likely nervous about something. They decided they wouldn't pry into it, for now at least.

The raven smiled and gave a courteous nod in return. "Greetings." They let out a light, airy chuckle. "I apologize. It's been quite some time since I've last had blackberries. I just couldn't resist."

the staff team luvs u
Medic
09-02-2022, 09:45 PM
They were a dark figure, making an obvious difference to the floral around them and the greenary, and yet weirdly enough, she felt that it was a picture-perfect scene. Something about it settled rightly, his appearance even matching the black-berries he admitted to eating, and she smiled lightly, laughting softly, "it's alright, they're quite good," as a one who didn't eat meat, she often ate those types of berries.

"they're um, good for any mouth injuries too or inflammation," Uriel added, a slight attempt to assure he shouldn't feel guilty or embarassed in indulging them when in-fact they're quite helpful.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
09-05-2022, 09:33 PM
Their brows raised slightly, with ears pricked forward in intrigue. "Is that so? Interesting." they replied. "You know quite a bit about medicinal herbs, I assume?"

The raven wasn't at all unfamiliar with plants being used for their remedial purposes. In fact, they carried a great amount of knowledge involving them. Though, their interest tended to lean towards ones with more toxic properties. In spite of what they knew, they weren't really fit for being a healer.

the staff team luvs u
09-13-2022, 09:39 PM
"Oh.. Just a bit." Her tail curled rather shyly, "I only know the bare minimum." It was safe to say she only knew the surface over that becomes being a doctor. She only wanted to be some sort of use, but her ability and knowledge was so little she didn't feel it counted for much, or could be of any help. At least she could forage! And.. And prepare, for if anything where to happen, she had something.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
09-26-2022, 03:10 AM
Oleander gave the girl a gentle smile. The way she was reminded them of when they were still very young and inexperienced. "No worries, dear. Even a little knowledge can go a long way, you know."

They were starting to feel a bit generous at the moment. "Maybe, I could help teach you more sometime?" they offered with a tilt of their head. "It's always useful to know what helps, and what you should steer clear of." But even dangerous things could have their own uses.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
09-30-2022, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2022, 06:55 PM by Uriel. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Really?" Her ears rose at such an offer, and she was smiling brilliantly, though shyly. There was quite a few plants she didn't know of, much less of their name. On occasion she knew of what they did by pure coincidence ; for when canines felt sick, they often consume grass to try and expel their stomachs. She remembered there was something in particular that she didn't know about, but it looked strange, and helped her when she had a belly ache.

Uriel looked around, and blinked as she saw it nearby. A paw pointed toward the mysterious plant, "uhm, could you tell me what is the name of that? .. It helped my stomach feel better, once."

the staff team luvs u
Medic
10-01-2022, 04:15 PM
"Of course." Oleander nodded, their smile now softer. In spite of everything, they always enjoyed offering their knowledge to others who were eager to learn. "If you need help, it never hurts to ask."

The raven's ears perked up in intrigue. "Oh? Let me see." They moved over slightly to get a better look at what the she-wolf pointed to. After taking a glance at the rounded leaves, they hummed. "That one is called fenugreek. It is in fact good for relieving stomach problems, and also aids in stimulating the appetite."

the staff team luvs u
10-07-2022, 07:00 PM
"It's only been a few months since i've taken up the healing arts.. I can't really fight, and a bad hunter," more she didn't want to hunt, "and felt at the very least, I could try and dabble into it." Although she said that, perhaps it was longer then half a year. It's just as a loner time felt lesser, she spend many days by herself and idling so ; no one to reach Uriel, and not many she could ask. There was a few in the north that she knew.. But she was afraid of the snow-kissed land.

She was nodding, placing the name within her memory bank. A bit of a funny one that was fenugreek, but her tail swished lightly in a joy that what it produced was correct in her assumptions. It helps her stomach cramps, but it also increased appetite? .. She wondered what reason would one need for it to increase, although vaguely remembered to those who are ill, do not like to eat much. Was there another reason?

the staff team luvs u
10-12-2022, 07:36 PM
Oleander nodded. "Well, its good to start somewhere." they reassured her, their gaze softening. "There are some things that we aren't good at, and that's fine. Though, it doesn't hurt to try."

Oleander knew all too well from experience how difficult learning a new skill could be in the beginning. It could take many weeks, even months of time and practice before you could get in the swing of things. Learning things on your own was much harder, and quite an admirable feat.

"Is there anything else you're curious about?" they inquired.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top