Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
She gon' do the race, just not this one

AW
Greenwood
08-11-2022, 07:47 AM

”Heather!” Marble would pant excitably, chasing after her sister as they ran through the forested-moor. The fawn was always a better runner than her sister, but that didn’t mean that Marble was weak. If anything, Marble was always the better tackler.

The fawn would laugh; “Can’t catch me!” But, just as she broke out of the forest and into the clear, open sky, her sister was nowhere to be seen.

She was in a moor, of course, but.. it wasn’t her moor, not the one she was born an raised in. No, no, she wasn’t supposed to be here. Where was Marble? The doe in stone casing? The statue? Heather couldn’t see her… What?
 “Marble?” She called, gaze lightly casting over jagged claws that reach up to grasp the sky. “Sister? Statue? Her nickname for the woman was what usually caught her attention, but… no, there was nothing. Only the sound of rustling grass and chirping birds.

She’d try again. Maaaarblee? Heather huffed, brows furrowed. Where had she gone? Her sister was never playful, so she really doubted she was trying to hide on purpose, which only made the woman more nervous…

Where did you go..?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-13-2022, 06:45 PM
Vermillion knew of plain-walkers, as her mother had dubbed them. Those who were not born from here, not like Vermillion and her siblings. Even her mother was one, apparently so. Beings who appeared from no where, remembering and not at the same time, torn away from a realm they once knew and she had trouble imagining that. Born within The Elk's Crown, born within the temperate region, simply being torn away from all she knew..

The ruby-eyed princess pitied.

Although she never met one personally, or caught in that mid-terror. Far too young to properly so, and born from one, the best she done was roam around Elkshire and kept to herself. But this wasn't her Elkshire, this was Greenwood, where a newfound freedom and responsibility was given, that no longer held a Princess role.

Her ears flickered, the sound of someone calling in the distance and she could smell another within. However Vermillion knew it was not an intruder, but her heart couldn't help but thump, if she was the first to greet. Lightly in steps, she called out, "Hello?"

the staff team luvs u
08-15-2022, 01:26 AM

The fawn continued looking, and with a sigh, she gave up. Defeated, the woman brought a dramatic paw to her head, murmuring a quiet "woe is me" before the sound of approaching footsteps caught her attention.

Marble? She whirled around with a little too much excitement, until her face fell flat; It was not her sister, in fact, it was someone random.

“Hi,” Heather tilted her head. “Have you seen anyone that looks like me, but...” A pause, “More grey? There was really no other way to describe Marble.
 She was just... grey, a pretty grey, of course, but grey nonetheless. Honestly, just the word "grey" was starting to annoy her.

Heather sat, awaiting either a yes, or a no. If yes, Heather would introduce herself and ask for directions. If no, she'd probably still introduce herself. After all, reputation was important, wasn't it?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-15-2022, 03:25 AM
As Vermillion came closer, she was lightly dazzled by the wolf before her. They held a wonderous shade of brown that was unseen from those she knew of, almost roan-ish, like a mixture of gray that she knew and the warmth of brown. Yet what was unusual was something she never seen before, was the wolf wearing spots that splattered about. Almost fawn-like, she would think, as even a tail was inches away from that of a doe!

Yet she was looking for another, the ruby-eyed girl shook her head. She had not seen anyone gray in quite some time, and with mind so focused on the many different colors on wolves — she would not forget that easy, "I'm sorry, I have not."

the staff team luvs u
08-15-2022, 03:44 AM

"I'm sorry, I have not."

“I see...” She murmured, sending her gaze towards the mountains. Was she there? With a sigh, she revealed her name as she looked back to the stranger;
 “Heather,” Remembering that Heather was also a plant, the Fawn quickly added to her sentence. “The name's Heather.”

The stranger could reveal her name if she wished to, but either way, Heather would begin scenting the air. Pack, the scent was similar to that of the one she was talking to. This is a pack wolf, Heather realised. Perhaps... perhaps the fawn could find herself within a pack, hm?

Maybe that's what Marble had already done. “You're a pack wolf?” Both an observation and a question;
 Play dumb. Her tone was laced with curiosity, one that could be either answered how she wanted it to be answered, or one that wouldn't. She prayed for the first option. It'd make things a lot easier, after all...

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-16-2022, 03:46 AM
"I am Vermillion," she a bit slow to the uptake, realizing as her ears flickered lightly, and the scent of loner would drift — but she held it and was on pack lands. Not someone from these outcrops, and surely know of a familiar friend to the group if she looked for another and said nothing about them. The ruby-eyed yearling looked around whether to call for someone, or anyone. Within Elkshire the Queen would handle it, and otherwise often they would call for her, but Kore was a different, willingness and pleasantness.. And the other did seem lost and not intentional.

"You're standing in Greenwood," the Deorwine would sigh lightly, nodding to the affirmation of so.

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2022, 04:22 AM

Vermillion, the yearling said her name was. It was a slow reply, and Heather felt herself beginning to grow impatient. And then, she stated the name of the pack they were near. Greenwood. She liked the sound of that.

“Um,” Heather began. “Could I, uh, stay with you guys for a bit? Just before I set out to look for my sister-” The end of her question was tacked on quickly; She didn't want to leech off of them, now, did she?
 Swiftly, she added on to her sentence one more; “-It wouldn't be for long! Just.. so I can familiarise myself with these lands..?” Come on.. she prayed.

All Heather needed was a place to sleep safely, where hopefully she wouldn't be killed. Plus, the woman liked the thought of protection and friends... It sounded nice to have someone to rely one that wasn't just her sister.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-18-2022, 05:18 AM
She knew many loners sought to join packs, and not many were born in the packs that she knew. There was only those born from Queen Celnes in Elkshire, and they were formed only for about.. Two years, if she remembered rightly? Greenwood as well didn't have any kids, and many of the members didn't seem completely associated. She knew it was not new, but.. New.

Wolves around her age were rarely, rarely seen, as far as she knew. Even the woman before her was not a child, a yearling, but a fine adult. Young though, and very pretty.. Although slight nerves now came, realizing that she was interested in joining Greenwood! Though procedures were very new for the young, and there was a few moments of awkwardness, "oh, yes, uhm, I have to call for my leader.."

Before even letting them have a moment of talk after, Vermillion howled for @Kore.

the staff team luvs u
08-20-2022, 07:15 PM
^^

Vermillion not need to wait long for Kore to come to the call. The little Queen had been gathering flowers in the Nettle not too far away when the call sounded out and she had rest her bouqet on the ground, safely tucked behind a tree trunk before she flounced towards the young girl. The wiggle of her nose as a new scent touched it made Kore's mismatched gaze glisten curiously, wondering who had come to visit today and provide the stars further points of being right.

"Vermillion," she called, her voice airy and her smile serene as she approached, steps light and feathery against the ground. "Hello," the little Queen cooed softly, peering to the new female. "You are in need," Kore commented to the other, why else would she have been coming into a claimed land with ease? She seemed a little angsty, too. Her curious gaze flickered between the two, waiting.
^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
08-20-2022, 10:26 PM
I just wanna say congrats real quick Minxy!! <3

so there came the queen, and honestly, she didn't seem as... well... burly? As Heather thought queens would have to be?
 But hey, maybe she ruled with wisdom and grace instead of pure, raging muscle (even if Heather would greatly prefer the later). 

“Yes, I'm, uh – Heather, I'm Heather,”
 She said quickly. “I was just.. summoned here. Just now, and, um, I have no idea where my sister is..” 

Deep breaths, c'mon, just ask already! “I was wondering if I could stay with you guys – for a bit..? I just, want to familiarise myself with the lands before I look for her.”

Surely that couldn't of gone any worse, but now.. well, it was a waiting game.

the staff team luvs u
08-23-2022, 08:45 PM
vermillion is skippable!

Vermillion nodded at Kore and lightly stepped to the side as the other dame introduced herself. Her role now was minimal, but hoped that she was able to join Greenwood.. Kore was quite nice and accepted many, she saw no reason to turn away a lost soul. She seemed nice, at least.. Not someone scary, not someone that was feigned in warmth ; she was truly but lost, and looking for a place.

the staff team luvs u
08-23-2022, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2022, 10:12 PM by Persephone Florakis.)
^^

Heather.

She stumbled over her words and Kore smiled, mismatched gaze glistening with thought. She spoke of her lost sister, wanting to look for her but wanted somewhere to rest, settle and learn in.

"Greenwood does not turn away those in need of her help," the little Celtic Queen hummed, a gentle way of her tail fluffing behind her. "I recommend our stone conduits at sunrise, in my experience it brings great clarify to a foggy mind," they were hard to miss, the center of their territory.

"Welcome, Heather." ^^

the staff team luvs u
˚ · .˚。 ⋆❀⋆。˚ . · ˚
Join Greenwood
08-23-2022, 10:32 PM

"Greenwood does not turn away those in need of her help," Heather's eyes went wide; "I recommend our stone conduits at sunrise, in my experience it brings great clarify to a foggy mind," Jaw dropped agape; "Welcome, Heather."

“Thank you –” She almost jumped in joy. “Thank you so much,” The woman wanted to know of her queens name so she could hastily tack it on to the end of her sentence. “Um, may I ask your name?” Heather just . . . She wanted to be able to know these people, not just be around them.

Would y'all be interested in fading here?

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top