Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Watch my reflecting, check out my face

Afternoon Sunny/Clear
Formation
Highvalley
08-09-2022, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2022, 12:16 PM by Cassian. Edited 1 time in total.)
@Percival :3

The sun was reflecting on his shiny pelt as he moved with a graceful gait through the landscape that he now called his home. Highvalley Hollow. Cassian wasn't really impressed with the name, Hollow sounded like something of a dump while this place was far less than one. Except for the part where those lowlifes spend their time. He was absolutely disgusted by them. Even the word on his tongue cause bile in the back of his throat. Absolutely disgusting. If they weren't useful Cassian made sure they would be evicted or just 'strategically' cleaned up. It wasn't like their life had any worth.

Cassian had scouted along the borders, so see potential routes outside of the territory. They might come useful one day. The King's regent walked through the territory with such poise, as he felt that he was the King's Regent. Cassian was a wolf that rather wanted a status than actually doing something for that said status. Like King for example sounded far too exhausting. Able to do King stuff while Percy was away, that was fun. Speaking of, Cassian noticed Percival in the distance. His friend, and his sister's mate. That had been a match he approved of which he felt like he had a saying in. His good friend with his well bred sister, he could only approve of the match. 

Cassian strolled towards his friend who he considered a brother. "Percival-- I mean, my King," he smirked. For once the disgust and annoyance on his face made way for devilish grin. "Are you really going with Highvalley Hollow as a name?," he challenged, always giving the other a piece of his mind.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
08-10-2022, 04:06 AM

Percival was beneath a willow tree, lounging this morning. It was a toll on his body he noticed— all this exercise and all. It made him downright sore and he just wanted to lay here in the peace and quiet.

That didn't last long though.

The thunderous sound of his cousins voice awoke him. Cassian. "Cassian," Percival would almost say in disbelief, bowing his head towards his cousin. The King rolled his eyes at his playful banter, the title rolling off dramatically. Percival waved his paw in the air as if he were swatting him out the way. 

"Indeed I was," The Wolvenking would narrow his eyes at his cousin, testing him. "What? Would you have named it something better? I'd like to see what you could come up with." His voice wasn't laced with venom, but only teasings. That's what the pair of boys did— tease one another. It had always been like that...a mini competition between them. Yet ultimately, Percival had won. He was the one who sat on the throne after all.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
Formation
Counsellor
08-10-2022, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2022, 11:08 AM by Cassian. Edited 4 times in total. Edit Reason: add tags )
Cassian offered the male a dazzling smile when he was greeted. He loved the sound of his name. It didn't matter the tone. Just the way it was pronounced. His tail gave a brief wag, which was only displayed in private with Percy. The other male and his sister were the ones he was the most kind towards. Others he couldn't really care less about it. The male seemed to consider that question as he had quite some options, however, he knew that the other wasn't going to approve of them.

"I mostly struggle with the 'hollow' part of the name. I would refrain from using it. You will be the High King. When introducing yourself to low blooded scum you should not have to say that you come from a hollow. A hole in the ground. At least that is what it sounds like. We are far too superior for that," he started to explain. His glacier blue eyes took in the other. "Highvalley is strong enough. The Wolvenking of Highvally sounds better and stronger than with the hollow behind it." That was just his two scents, giving the male a sly look. "Its all about the image towards the outside. I am not critiquing you, just advising you on your image." Our image, in Cassian's eyes.

That reminded him that he also wanted to have a talk about a meeting spot or throne. He had plans in his mind for that. But that was something he would adres later to Percy. They had to make their grounds look like pureblooded wolves lived here. It could definitely add some more beauty and grandeur.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
Misc Skill
08-11-2022, 03:40 AM

"—Am the High King." Percival would lightly correct his brother as he continued on his incessant ramble of the name of the hollow. Highvalley was what they were— their identity for the past centuries. Their history had been jaded and carved into stone, but now they were a blank state. A place to start anew...yet Percival had no intentions of changing their ways. It seemed that his kin didn't feel such qualms neither. 

A small huff of amused air left Percival's nostrils at the term 'superior.' He didn't need his cousin to remind him of such things, but it certainly was harmonious against his ear. "We are Highvallians through and through, Cass, make no mistake." Their eyes clashed— sky blue and indigo. The High King didn't relent his gaze. He would never back down from his cousin, not in a million years. 

Without speaking any words, the Wolvenking would stand to his tall legs, offering himself a brief stretch, before cocking his head towards Cassian in a nonverbal way of saying 'follow me'. If it was appearances that he wanted from Percival, he would get them. A short promenade around their grounds never hurt anyone, had it? The Highvallians were known to preen, and Percival was not a shortcoming of that aspect. 

Quietly, Percival would repeat. "Wolvenking. Still getting used to it." Percival's coronation happened on his second birthday. The titles, the respect, the adoration— all of it. He was still adjusting to such a lifestyle, even if he was groomed for it since birth. Occasionally on their walk, Percival would brush his back against the trees, marking the Highvallian scent. He'd cock his head, urging Cassian to do the same.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
Counsellor
08-11-2022, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2022, 11:08 AM by Cassian. Edited 1 time in total.)
The male dipped his head as he said that he was the King. Cassian was more than glad about that. He preferred the supporting role. Yes, it was more in the shadow but it gave more freedom and less formal stuff. He disliked to communicate with commoners, those annoying low bloods. The male knew they needed them though, there was lots to do. He had big plans for the territory. With approval of the King of course.

"Of course, we are," he returned to his brother. He didn't intend to change their ways. Cassian would refer to them as Highvallians and members of the High Valley Court. He looked over the territory. As much as he loved the sound of his own voice, Cassian could be standing here in silence, just enjoying the other's company. He automatically followed Percy when he made the motion. He often was by the male's side. It felt like a natural way of walking if he was really honest. His ear swiveled at the comment about Wolvenking. His head soon followed, a smirk on his lips as they strolled. "You will get used to it soon," he commented.

The male paused briefly to also mark a tree, copying the behavior. "Especially when you have a Royal Residence," he added then. His glacier blue eyes scanning over him. "Have you set sight on something? I wouldn't mind finding one for you if you wish?," he offered to his friend. He was quite interested in finding or shaping those royal places into something of beauty. He did have an eye for beauty after all.
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-11-2022, 11:10 PM

Percival would enjoy the presence of his brethren as they walked shoulder to shoulder along the alcove, a firm remembrance of their nostalgia together filling the emptiness— or rather what was left to take— of his mind. It brought him back to the memories he shared with his father, and his brother too. Percival's father, Edwin, had been close with Cassian's. They were brothers, after all, or close enough to it. 

As they walked and Cassian mirrored Percival's movements, the King had been satisfied. When his subjects had listened to him— even his own stubborn family— it made his life a bit easier. Made him feel like he was doing the right thing once in a while. Being a King was no easy decision, but every- most - of his actions depended on the benefit of his family. Take the hollow for example— a fortress surrounded by the sharpest of mountain peaks with the most infatuating center. It was their domain, all for them and not to share.

At Percival's expense as they continued to walk, he'd turn his head lightly to hear what Cassian had to say. Ah, so his brethren wanted a better nest? A better view of the commoners from overhead? Since Percival was much more of a servant than anything, he'd sneer lightly. "I haven't put much thought into it," he'd shrug, having been far too preoccupied to find a lodging. "—but Lunafreya will start to get restless without a proper bed." While Percival wasn't all keen on giving, she was to be his wife.  The High Queen title wasn't as forgiving as his own. 

"Lead the way, Sir."

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-13-2022, 12:10 PM
Cassian was surprised to hear that. A king should have proper accommodations. Especially if after the wedding, to his sister he might add. She would not be too keen on sleeping in a dump. They should have a royal chamber of some sort. A palace with multiple chambers for the king and queen and perhaps their nearest family members. Cassian had considered that, and was still considering it. But he had also realized that being in a larger compound might get more eyes on him and where he went. Perhaps that would be a disadvantage to him. "Exactly, and if you want those royal children I suspect my sister would prefer the best lodgings, my dearest Percy," he commented. Alas, he had a superior eye for thing so if the King was too busy he could find a place good enough for Percy and his sister.

The fog grey male almost seemed to grow twice his size when he was asked to lead the way. He gave the male a nod. "Certainly." Cassian kept the same walking pace however, instead of not going past the king's shoulder before now he did. It would all depend on what the king wanted of course. They were in a valley, so he could explore for caves, of course, not too damp and gloomy. Unless his brother would prefer a more forested home. Although they were in short supply of those. He might be able to sell the male a home. "Let me sketch you a picture," he started as they strolled. "Higher up lodgings, looking down on your kingdom. The air is light and crisp, south facing to be ever in the light of Aeris. Many chambers, of course, one personal room for you only or where only you and the queen are allowed. A chamber to entrain and share meals with other high-born. A chamber for ruling and making your important decisions. A room for hunting trophies, I could continue... So many ideas I have."
the staff team luvs u
08-20-2022, 05:45 PM
 Cassian took the lead of their promenade today, trotting past the King's shoulder line with his head held high. As Cassian led him through the valley, his ideas were flowing off the tip of his tongue with ease. The High King's ear would flicker, occasionally nodding. His eyebrows even gave a small lilt, too. "I see that, Cassian." The King was impressed by Cassian's attention to detail and prose about their fair kingdom, and he admired that about him.

Yet, Aeris above, he would never think of telling him such a thing. Cassian already preens his feathers as is— no need to rustle them even further. 

"I'll take your word for it, brother." Percival's head would dip mischievously,  "in fact...if you can find us the perfect home— I mean absolutely perfect— perhaps a promotion may be on your way." Percival deserved to have some fun here and there. Even if it was screwing with his cousin.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-22-2022, 06:43 PM
Casian was pleased, pleased to see that his idea that was being pitched was accepted. More than accepted since he had noticed the small eyebrow raise. Then it was Cassian's turn to raise his eyebrows a little. High regent. He could see it. He rather liked the idea. No. He loved that. Cassian had always seen himself as Percy's right paw but with that rank he actually was. 

"Interesting offer,' Cassian returned. He could have thought that he already deserved that spot but, Cassian actually liked to look at places like that. He loved to find nice locations, beautiful locations. And just doing his hobby to be rewarded by it? Perfect. "I will let you know when I found the place, brother," he commented with a quirk on his lips. He understood what Percival was looking for, since he just pitched the idea to the King. He would need to get a good scouting mission inside their territory. Cassian marked another tree, his mind on the place he wanted to create, or find.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top