Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
Grip on tight, grip on tight to your youth,

Group Only
Dragonford Isles
08-09-2022, 06:38 PM
This is to determine IC-Events that all can participate! It is greatly requested to reply in the thread and vote, but if cannot reply it is more important to do the poll. Please vote in THIS POLL. Please write with your characters name and vote based ICly on their feelings whether to disband, or remain. There is a third option if your character has another idea!

Although the Northern Council may still happen regardless of the outcome, members of Dragonford have no idea this is conspiring at the current time. It is the assumption war will happen on a future date, and the thought line of Vendrussel is to save the trouble and return another day, stronger, and warning the land of the dangers that is Northfall and their IC-assumed greed from Dragonford.

This will end in a weeks time.

Melancholy had taken hold of Vendrussel since the days of boar and the death of Belial. Spirits, low, thoughts wavering and wondering what to do so. Saved others, but even through that the hatred between wolves could not disperse, for the savior of a traitor of Dragonford, a converter to Northfall, only led to but a scorn from them so. To do good but never forgiven, she would understand upon her part as she prayed and forgave, knew of her losses and deeds and what could never be brought to fruit of the forgiveness of one ; but neither, did she want it, for what was blamed on her in the end was still the cause of another. Dominoes, falling.

But at the cost now, of the attack of her own ; who though help her through, Vendrussel could not help but feel guilty. Surrounded they were, no allies to call their own and only vague friends who were friends with the enemies. She'd care not, but with the death of one? Would those she call friends also destroy her packmates? Would they ride to war, and watch her die beneath the feet of them?

To love this land, but the dream so.. Was it, worth it anymore? To lay and rise again another day, she cared more of life of her own then under a banner of a name — and she thought... And thought.. And called for the pack.

"Blood has been slain, but not from Northfall ; but by boars. Yet during so, even helping those who are not our allies, their mannerism couldn't be contained," she looked at Jun, remembering the way how he protected Serenity, and instead treated hostile by who was assumed to be Ragnar, as personally, Vendrussel never knew him, but the description seemed true, "surely, war will come soon. Who will be slain next, and the question to be, who would we be against? Although few friends may drift, they are also friends with our enemies." She didn't know if all were, but just a few were for certain.

She smiled.

"You all vowed to defend this land and even myself, and now I question whether this is worth it, for many are concaving us nearby. New but there. Is it worth to possibly bring them and more to what started over land and those who been around longer?" and she sighed, "long ago did the Ancients bless me with a dream of finding here, and found a home, but greed takes our neighbors and now more and more blood is to be spilled in the future."

"There is thought if we should defect to the nearby pack, under anothers name. To regroup another day, another future, where blood is not there, and even wait for the bad to destroy themselves. For who could not control their own from constantly rampaging in our land, will surely cause self-destruction, or otherwise a day to return, where are friends more then just ourselves."

And she dropped so — if it was wise to disband what the Dragonford was, and return elsewhere, "Duskguard & Empyrean, choices that one we do not know their stance with the enemy, and the other a long but unknown stance of alliance. Where we can find a haven."

"Leadership is not something to die for, neither is a land. And I admit, it pains my pride to feel that we must give in to those who done wrong, and yet to spread their injustice and know we saved our own, may feel more then a win then an injustice. For I know what I sinned, and yet their actions proved of greed."

Vendrussel would die on this hill, for she caused the war but they started what was the battle — for if they had left the sepulcher alone, perhaps peace could be. Yet constantly fought, disrespect given and claims that they owned the sea itself and more, what else would they need?

But she fears surely, if any of those they defected to, were allies with Northfall.. Vendrussel would surely have to ask ; would they be willing to keep those of the lost Dragonford, or continue what was? She knew a choice would have to be made, because she could not see herself fighting for anyone who claimed allyship with them, and definitely, never beside them.

She left it to them.

To disband and re-emerge another day, or maybe not at all, the future was uncertain. Or to remain within the sepulcher, and defend what was their home?

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-09-2022, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 11:31 PM by Vedette.)

A call rings through the Sepulcher. The dragon's head sings for each and every one of them, and Vedette could never deny her siren song. The dusk dragon finds herself gliding down until her eyes set upon Vendrussel. She looks more tired than usual. In that regard, she found that most of the Ford looked exhausted. A death had befallen them and merely were they out of the fire pit, awaiting another war to cast them down once again. The soldier wanted to reach out and call the captain home, but she pushes the urge down and waits for others to gather. Her burnt orange eyes set to attention, as did the rest of her. Her shield set aside, her guard down.

The words that rang from her maw were not untrue. Though in Vedette's case, there was no one but those in the Ford. And even so little of them she knew. This was a factor for everyone else. The tone of Ven's voice made a shiver run down the tanned wolf's spine. Vedette could feel herself slipping as the dragon spoke. The ground quaking beneath her. The same earth shattering feeling when she arrived in the Behemoth's Brim. Everything she knew was starting to crumble — again. The dusk dragon held herself up, but her legs could be seen with a quiver to them. She hated this feeling. Her nerves seemed to clash together, and a ringing filled her ears. What was this? Why was this happening? 

The only thing that struck Vedette back to life was the lack of Ven's melodic voice. Emotion settled in Vedette's eyes, that could not be seen by those next to her. The only woman that she was facing could most likely see it. Anger boiled in her veins. Not for Ven or this, but for the emotions that she could not settle, nor understand. When her grandmother died, she did not get upset or anger; she fell into a routine of taking care of her father. When her dad died, she didn't either; she found the army. Now what was there to fall to? Someone she did not know?

"There is no home for me besides the Ford, the Sepulcher. I vowed myself to you and those who follow. I will not leave this land nor you until this war has been settled and we can sleep here knowing that we are safe again.It is the most she's ever said in front of a group of wolves before that weren't collapsing over one another to attack. "I urge you to do the right thing and stay among us, the wolves who have faith in you, and who have stayed even through the warnings of war. Some of us have joined, even knowing there is war. We believe in you. It is why we have come and stayed. We do not fear death. We fear losing our faith." Vedette steadies herself and her voice, that wavered near the end. She felt the rocks dig into her paws as she clenched the ground so hard she was sure that her blood was staining the rocks beneath, like a blood pact. "Our faith in you and what is right.She emphasizes, not knowing when she decided to stand, but she is on all fours now instead of sitting like she had been. Orange embers burning into the treacherous ocean blue of her eyes, yearning for her and the Ford; her home. 

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-10-2022, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2022, 05:48 PM by Azriel. Edited 1 time in total.)
vendrussel calls them and they gather.

valtyr aligns himself close to @"Rosal", feeling a soft — if not familiar — brotherly protectiveness over the rosechild, perhaps even despite himself. in truth he hadn't wanted his newest siblings and had spent much time avoiding them; but there was a renewed spark of kinship with her at knowing that their wispmother had abandoned her too.

he settles upon his haunches, icy lavender gaze trained upon the dragon queen as she speaks, assessing and contemplating her words. quietly but with a furrowed brow that perhaps betrays him and offers an small insight into what he is thinking. disband and reform? or stand and hold their ground.

a pack-mate goes into a lengthy speech then, full of gusto and resolve. it mirror how valtyr feels; and for a moment he disassociates from himself, peering down at his rosekissed sister. was it fair to take her from these lands? after she has, so young, already suffered so much loss? no.

full of a bubbling resolve that fills him like the voice of legion; taking hold and digging their spears deep into his spirit. “i stand with you vendrussel and i stand with the ford.” he proclaims, as he had when he'd first sought acceptance. “i will defend the ford with my blood, my flesh, with my life if that is what the dragon gods demand of me.” he will go to war if that was what it took to keep the ford together. “i say we stay and if war results from it then so be it. we are dragons, are we not?”

the staff team luvs u
fjordic · common
— ❝the thing about gods is they're eternal
08-12-2022, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2022, 07:48 PM by Mirchë. Edited 1 time in total.)
Rosal was easily summoned, as she was often found tailing @Valtyr these days, and took great comfort is someone, absolutely anyone, that meant anything to her. Still, there was a growing part of her that easily became accustomed to her new ~adult~ life and appreciated this newfound ability to scamper off and do whatever she wanted. As it turned out, that was one way to see really cool and interesting things, and staying with real full-grown adults usually meant nothing cool or interesting happened. 

However, a giant conclave of every wolf that inhabited the Ford definitely ticked a lot of her "cool" and "interesting" boxes.

Still, it was only ultimately frustrating to the little rosebud as the discussion happened entirely in a language she didn't understand, and didn't want to understand. In fact, the very sound of this tongue offended her. It was what 'othered' her the most, besides the fact that she was also a baby (and an orphan, to boot). When the two ladies stopped talking, the girl leaned over to her assumed guardian and whispered "Mitä hän sanoo?” but before he could respond, he too contributed to the parlay.

"Mitä sinä sanot!?” she whispered more loudly, looking upward at him incredulously.

the staff team luvs u
08-13-2022, 02:07 AM
^^

She almost didn't respond to the call.

Olympia nearly refused.

Yet she did not, the possessive streak of her still strong and answering to the call of her dragon.

When she arrived she cast a withering glare to anyone who might make eye contact and she noticed the child, the ugly little thing who she wondered about; how long could she hold her breath for? Might Olympia test it?

Vendrussel spoke and it was a speak, war and decisions touching Oly's ears. She sneered as wolves spoke their minds, favouring pointless battles and possible death. Olympia held no favour to the lands they called home, not finding herself tethered to one idea or the other of what made a home. Sand and stone, to her, did not make a home.

"Idiots," she grouched, curling her tongue over her sharp points and lifted her chin as she sat languidly, tail tip curling in and out as a signal of her frustration. Was it a wolf thing, she wondered, to get so fond of a particular land that little else mattered? Perhaps it was still her wounded ego and pride from the boars or the unresolved emotions she had yet to fully register that she had held for the one she had pushed out the way but Olympia was fury incarnate since that day. Furious at the world and it didn't help with the idea that Vendrussel wanted to leave her life up to the decisions of others.

"Land is replaceable," the tiger snarled, "lives aren't. You will die and for what? For sand? For an island who has no ability to know who calls it home?" Nothing of her tone was kind, it was cold and harsh -- maybe driven by some fear that at the end of this, Vendrussel would be dead. "Idiots." Olympia repeated, not hiding the way her lip curled over her teeth and her sharp gaze grew weary with annoyance.

She was worth more than fucking land. The others may think the ground held more importance than their own lives but the feline held no such opinions. She lived, she breathed, she bled -- the island did not. Perhaps if it were against a few, the tiger would think differently -- but pack against pack seemed silly, seemed fruitless and Olympia hated it all.

Where was Ghost?

^^

the staff team luvs u
08-30-2022, 01:14 AM
"I appreciate every single one of you," she said with honesty in voice and gaze. Each one was a namesake of a dragon title, personally bestowed upon by her own means to express importaness, to each and everyone. They all held loyalty that she valued highly, where not only standby her, but what had occured and so. Listening to the actions and mistakes that were brought, and yet, many understood that led to what had occured. However that would not be the same with many, an understanding occured and yet retribution.. Did the Ancients feel it was enough yet, or would there be more? Yet she questioned the times other blood was spilled and nothing was done.. Perhaps it was the other Gods that the others believed in, twisting fate as it was.

"Olympia does bring a good point though," many want to defend, but was it worth the blood, "but cannot ignore what the many so desire. At least in this fast primordial land we are not alone, and many have heard our side. No one seems innocent, yet I know where my fault lied, not any of yours. There will be a time we will make the obvious choice.." Would it be when they come knocking on their door? "but while we live and thrive, to enjoy the isle that we claimed. All by the name of Dragonford."

It was not a definite answer of moving. Conflicting words were given, some wanting to defend what was claimed and what they built, and yet words whether the blood would be worth it. A selfish part of her, wanted to wait for any good news to arrive by those she shared the stories to.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top