Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write, though the game also rewards high activity
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • Writing is collaborative, and so is our supportive community
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Guidebook!

P
and the reason that i do not fall into this street is love

Afternoon Overcast
P
Medic

There was very little that could draw Olive from her birthing den, nonetheless Frostfang Vale itself—

but her tiny, fragile daughters were sleeping, being watched over by the Titan himself. He was tireless in her pursuit of excellence for his family, but even a work-horse such as he deserved to rest alongside the tiny pile of similarly snoozing pups. Olive had done nothing but sleep, and though she loved and reveled in the opportunity to steep in such slowness, it felt so contrary to nearly everything she was before. Olive was nothing close to a homebody, and being so closely tied to a den was stifling; even if the den was filled with the most precious, radiant treasures life could offer.

It was a complicated feeling.

When she had been relieved from child-rearing duties for the moment, Olive surfaced from the nursery and blinked at the sun as if it were a long-lost friend. She engaged in a brief stretch, pointing her toes and reaching out each leg in turn. She ventured forward, not certain where she was headed as her only intention was to find movement and take deep, belly-full breath of the fresh, late-summer air. It all smelled of sun and grass, and the greyscale mother found herself following her nose to the border; she crested the entrance of the vale and ventured just beyond, forced to travel slow and gingerly as her convalescent body would allow.

Soon, she would have to turn around and return to her brood. It was never long before one of them began to squall from hunger, and what a beautiful curse it was that only she had the ability to feed them.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: rosieolivebouncer.gif]
Hire Olive/Esra as a Healer
The Shakti-Seabreeze-Singing-Sunlight Lineage
Join Duskguard or The Northern Conservancy
 "Lady Olive!" The old man bellowed out to the woman cheerfully. He had been getting on well enough, wandering hither and thither. He still held a limp but it was usually more pronounced when he was tired. He was not at the moment and was quite in the mood to talk. Especially with old friends like Olive, the sweet maiden.

He was also very inclined to speak more when he neared and smelled the scent of milk on her. "Please, my dear, you must share with me any news that you have!" The friendly white bear approached her, quite clearly excited to see her again.

the staff team luvs u
Olive hadn't needed to travel far before perceiving that there was another nearby; a friend, if one could judge by the friendly words and tone they were spoken in. Though initially surprised by such a sincere greeting, the woman quickly recognized the voice to belong to the great Thraximundar. Pure sublimity blossomed on her face as she stopped moving forward, and lifted her head up high to look and sniff in all directions before padding around to face his alabaster, lumbering form in his final approach.

"It's been quite a while, has it not?" she greeted him warmly, striding to meet him up close, pressing a black nose into the dense fur of his behemoth shoulder. If there was one thing about being a healer, it meant that one tended to get quite close and personal with their friends' bodies. Thrax's was no different, and from this small embrace, she could perceive that he had healed well all these months — or, at the very least, the bone-break no longer bothered him as it once had.

He spoke endearingly, like an old friend. Very quickly and all at once, Olive realized just how long it had been since they had last seen each other. Not that it was any true incredible length of time, but the sheer amount of significant, life-altering events that has occurred in the past few months made it feel as if it had been a year, or more!
"I suppose it's obvious, but Tiberius and I have four new puppies!" she sang with an endearing ring to her voice; there was nothing she was prouder of in the world. "They were born only two weeks ago, just over this ridge."

But there was something else that Olive realized had likely been outside of the bear's radar. "This is our home, Duskguard," she introduced the land itself. Olive was aware that the Vale had somehow mysteriously appeared in this place and was settled by Tiberius not long after, so it was likely Thrax had never been here. "Oh, please! Won't you come inside?" she asked, tail wagging, knowing that she should be turning around anyways; and now, she had a friend in tow.

the staff team luvs u
 "Far too long!" He said with a booming laugh. She came in close to show affection and he felt the urge to pull her into a bear hug... but resisted. This was not Kuhn or Tiberius and he did not want to hurt her by accident. So, he would lower his head to try to brush his chin against her nape in an affectionate greeting. He was so happy to hear the good news and he grinned, breaking his craggy face into an excited expression. "Congratulations to you both! Ah! How very exciting!" He always loved to hear about new children birthed into the world, they were truly exciting times.

"Wonderful, simply fantastic! I'm so glad that you both have done so well for yourselves here! Please, please, I would be delighted to come see!" He could truly think of nothing better than to visit their home and to see their puppies! He came up alongside her, ready to be lead back to their home. "You've no idea how happy it makes me to hear that you both have been doing so well!"

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
Olive could not help but brace herself for his incoming welcome; the bear was such an immensely large creature, that is was impossible not to! However, the first time she had met him, he was nursing a broken leg. This time, she was nursing, well, puppies — perhaps she had no reason to flinch, since they had been nothing but gentle with each other; and still they were now, and Olive pleasantly leaned into his affections and touch, nuzzling him in return, feeling her body grow flush with gratitude and happiness at seeing the old bear again.

Reigning backwards from their embrace, Olive smiled up at him and then began to walk next to him, her ginger gait almost a snail's pace compared to the length of his strides. Despite her apparent weakness, she still gleamed and uttered
"Thank you, my friend! It truly is one of the most glorious times of my life," as she navigated them up and over the ridge that served as a border. The path was obvious as it lay before them, but it was not easy by any means; and therein lied the allure of a place like Frostfang Vale, hidden away from the rest of the tundra by guardian of the fiercest, mountainous nature. 

"Have you any children, Thrax?" she questioned, glancing at him, assuming the answer to be yes. The bear has certainly lived a full life up until now, and had survived to tell the tale. Such creatures always bore progeny of the strongest kind.

the staff team luvs u
 "Oh yes, I'm sure you'll look back on this for years to come with immense joy. There are certain times and events in your life that you will never forget and it's always good that those events are filled more with the joyful and happy moments." As opposed to terrible and unhappy events. That was one of the joys of life, building life full of wonderful memories to reminisce about.

Their home was a beautiful one.. and treacherous if you were not careful. He would be sure to keep a slow, measured pace to not fall and go tumbling down the mountainside. Now, that wouldn't be very dignified.

"Hmm?" He'd been, daydreaming a bit. Thinking of the walk down and what a fortress this was. "Oh! Ah, children. Why, yes, a great many. Probably as many as the hairs on my back!" He said with a booming laugh. Was that true or not? One was likely to never know. "However, I never really stuck around after the fact to see my children after they were born. In polar bear culture, the boars do not usually stay with the sows after copulating..." There was a tangible unspoken "but" there, however, he did not initially go into it although it was probably clear that it would take very little prodding for him to divulge what he was thinking. The thoughtful expression on his scarred face was quite the tell.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top