Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Bellyache

Sunset Partly Cloudy
AW
Adventurer
Content Warning
08-03-2022, 06:53 AM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Pregnancy thoughts, Major cussing

He was growing restless. Restless, hormonal, and very very fat.
 Cupid had been pacing, trying to find an area good enough to have these stupid fur-balls in. He was alone, which wouldn't be good for the birthing; He didn't want to risk losing any of these pups. It was shitty enough that their dad couldn't be here. Fucking hell, Satan. Knocked me up and couldn't even stick around! The man gave but a small grumble before he turned, Bee-lining towards a tree with it's roots partially sticking out. It'd make a good enough den if he could dig it out enough... Ugh.
 But he was soooo tirrredd... Just looking at his swollen teats made him anxious, not to mention the jaw-clenching cramps and how often he had to fucking piss. It was not fun at all. He would've returned to the desert, but the lack of life in general made him certain that it wouldn't be a good place to have pups. Venus did not want the blood of stupid children on his paws. No thanks. He was absolutely sure that if anything happened to the pups, he'd probably be on Satan's hit-list.

So, begrudgingly, he began digging beneath the roots, tossing dirt aside and nosing his way through crevices and cracks. It'd take a while, he knew, but perhaps while he dug someone would come. A healer, maybe, someone that could stick with him and help him when the time came. He was anxious, worried, he didn't know whether these pups would survive without assistance. 
 While he was thinking, the den had grown immensely. Cupid had been digging faster and faster the more he worried about these pups, which he found funny; Physically they were motivating him to get shit done, but mentally they'd been doing nothing but tire him out. He thought he felt one kick at that very moment. Fuck. They were definitely on their way, perhaps in a few days? Hopefully a few weeks?

The man tilted his head back in a howl as he finished the whelping den, hoping that it would reach @SatanCome to me, come to me, please, I need your company. He thought desperately, waddling his way into the den. Venus was embarrassed with how disgustingly bloated he had become; Would Satan even want him? Not now, emotions! The fawn-hued man did not need to cry tonight, not at all. He'd cried enough during the trip here: How would I raise a litter of pups? Would I be a good dad? How will I explain to them that... I'm not fully a dad in the first place? Will Satan try to take them away from me? 
 Cupid rested his head on his paws, closing his eyes. Maybe he'd be able to rest for a bit.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-03-2022, 06:12 PM
With the new puppies of Shiroshika and Vanderfell now safely tucked within their own respective borders, Hieronymous took the time to double his patrols. Both packs were living relatively peacefully for now as tensions from the north seemed to fade with no sign of the tiger or the troublesome wolf at his side showing themselves in recent days... Did it mean that Shiroshika would soon venture off to find a new place to call theirs that didn't piggyback off of Vanderfell? The group didn't bother the High King... but one had to be wise to food shortages should too many packs be hunting in one area.

He was patrolling Vanderfell's hills and mountainside when a howl caught his attention... one he was unfamiliar with and coming from their hunting grounds. Not wanting to alert Ira and have her leave the puppies that needed her most right now, Hieronymous howled in response to let not only the one in Ullarcraig know someone was coming, but that someone, himself, was answering the call and Ira didn't need to bother for now.

Even with the little limp in his hind leg, the man was swift across the mountainside. Cutting down and made it to his usual fishing spot and looked around for whoever had called. He couldn't use his nose to find them, and so he wandered until the piles of dirt were enough to be the dead giveaway. “If you plan on giving birth here, I suggest finding somewhere else.” Though his words were stern, his voice was calm and soothing with a smile peeking through. He knew Ira wouldn't want someone here raising puppies in their hunting grounds, perhaps it was best that he had come here instead of her after all.

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Paladin
08-03-2022, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 10:40 PM by Venus Cupid Angello. Edited 1 time in total.)

Fuck
 So there was someone here, shit shit shit. If you plan on giving birth here, I suggest finding somewhere else, Cupid wanted to claw up this stupid guys face right then and there, but that probably wouldn't be a good move.. These stupid fuckin' babies always bringing him down, damnit!
 Cupid curled his lip back. “Where else am I supposed to go?” He snarled. It was a partial question, though; Where was he supposed to go? “I just came all the way from the desert, I don't have the energy to keep going.”

Come on Satan, come on. The man clawed the ground as he looked up at the stranger; Pack-Wolf, he could tell by the scent. Venus almost recoiled in disgust, but he kept his composure. Leave me alone. He wanted to scream, to shout, to fight, but he was exhausted and hungry and angry and in a really fuckin' bad mood. 
 Stupid babies draining everything outta him!

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-04-2022, 12:15 AM
Naturally, the other was on edge - so Hieronymous kept his composure even as the other snapped back at him with ire. If only they knew how lucky they truly were that it was him and not Ira or Orlaith who had come upon them here. Who knows what those two would have done... or any of the pups who took more after their mother than they took after him with a gentler approach to things. He shrugged at their question, genuinely he didn't know where they could go, just where they couldn't. Essentially, he wasn't trying to be an asshole about this.

He wanted to say it wasn't his job to clean up after ill-prepared pregnant women who didn't make sure they had a pack, or a place to peacefully give birth. To plan out things for everyone who came to their borders and hunting grounds uninvited just because they didn't plan ahead before getting knocked up. But he bit his tongue.

“I'm sorry.” He said instead. With a soft downward curve of his lips. “But you won't be safe here for long, I can promise you that.” Ira wasn't a cruel woman, but she didn't take well to those who stayed in their hunting grounds, and perhaps even less so to someone with newborn puppies.

“Why didn't you stay with the one who did this to you?” A genuine question to open the stage. Were they violated? Or were they just ignorant to how things worked?

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
08-04-2022, 12:24 AM

The stranger was kind, he really was, but Cupid could not – and would not – see that right now. He was all too overwhelmed right now. They were well on their way, and he felt like he couldn't move another muscle. You won't be safe here for long, wait... hm, stupid Venus coming up with another terrible idea.
 “Can I at least have them here? I'll be out of your fur immediately.” He attempted for a compromise.

Why didn't you stay with the one who did this to you? Cupid scoffed.
 “I'm not an idiot,” He muttered. “Newborn puppies in a desert wouldn't go well... And Satan's.. violent.” Fuck. The regret finally sunk in. What have I done? The mans face fell; These puppies, would they be like him? Bloodthirsty and violent and.. Shit. A pregnant, hormonal wolf should not have to stress over this. Not at all, but, it was his fault.

Hey, at least it was only three little Satans, he could feel that for certain.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-04-2022, 12:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 02:49 AM by Hieronymous. Edited 1 time in total.)
Thankfully for this one, Hieronymous was a fountain of patience. It took a lot to rattle his cage and get the man to crack. Very specific buttons had to be pressed otherwise he could do this all day, all week - all year really. At the question, he shook his head solemnly. “Should my wife or any guardians come by, I can't stop them from doing their duties. Even this is too kind to their standards.” Not that Ira was cruel, but especially he in comparison to Orlaith who... he didn't know what she was like now, but before her "death" was more of a bite first, ask questions later.

Ira simply had her priorities, which he always respected and admired. He, perhaps to her, was too soft.

And Satan is violent.

If he had fingers to pinch the bridge of his nose, Hieronymous would. So was this woman violated? The way they worded it didn't quite sound like it... not entirely anyway. Instead, he took a deep sigh. Slumping his posture just a little as he tossed seafoam eyes to the sky as though it had all the answers for him. What the hell was he supposed to do here? He couldn't just chase off this very heavily pregnant woman off on her own, Hieronymous just wasn't the kind to do so. But what would Ira think of the following?

She did say he was High King too and his word was as important as hers... yet still he didn't want to disappoint her or put their puppies and packmates in a dangerous situation.

But how much danger could this one pose?

Back and fourth he debated with himself before parting darkened lips and speaking as level-headed as possible. “If you need refuge that badly, my best offer here would be to ask if you could pledge allegiance to Vanderfell for a year at minimum.” It didn't sound all too nice if he was to be honest. "Pledge loyalty to me or go away", but really. They said it themselves, they couldn't move, they were tired. Ira didn't allow mooches. And Vanderfell was somewhere safe provided this one pulled their own weight after giving birth.

“I'm sorry. It's either that, or you leave. I'm duty bound, there is only so much I can do for you.”

the staff team luvs u
08-04-2022, 02:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 02:28 AM by Venus Cupid Angello.)

If you need refuge that badly, my best offer here would be to ask if you could pledge allegiance to Vanderfell for a year at minimum. What?

They would so easily take him in? For a year? Cupid mulled over the idea for a bit; He could safely have his pups, he'd have food and a place to rest.. And once the pups were weaned he'd commit to pack duties. It seemed worth it, in his opinion. But.. what if Satan tracked him down? Got angry that he was with another pack? The man murmured, rubbing his paws in the dirt for a few moments, before looking up at the stranger.
 “Yes,” He sighed. “Yes, if it means I can have my pups safe then... I'll join you.”

I'm sorry. It's either that, or you leave. I'm duty bound, there is only so much I can do for you, the man apologised. Venus shook his head. No, no, he should've scented the area. Of course there had to be packs here, and when he'd just finished his den! Cupid shuffled out of the hollow, brows furrowed in defiance, though he was really in no shape to fight.
 “My name's Cupid, by the way.”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-04-2022, 02:49 AM
He held his breath.

Ready for a verbal fight, for things to turn sour — and yet... it didn't.

All at once, it felt like a large weight was lifted off his shoulders and with a long, drawn-out sigh he was able to breathe again.

“It's a pleasure to meet you Cupid, truly.” Especially since things went a lot more smoothly than expected. “Hieronymous, Hiero if it's easier. I'm High King of Vanderfell. These are our hunting grounds.” They were worthy of an explanation at least as to why it was a bad idea to den here.

“I don't suppose you can move to safer dens within our borders without a rest, hm?” He said sheepishly, if he could rub his paw behind his head - he would have by now. “I'll stay around if you want to rest your weary paws, I was planning on fishing today anyway.” He really wasn't, but it was a good enough excuse for something he normally did. It was just out of his usual routine as this was normally the time he spent within Vanderfell and not fishing.

Oh well. Such as life.

“Let me know if you need anything, once you're ready I'll show you to a safer spot.” And along the way get to know them better so that Ira didn't have to do it herself. The usual. What they can offer, what are they good at, what can he and Ira expect from them... if the violent father should be expected to make a visit and be trouble some time soon.

the staff team luvs u
08-04-2022, 03:30 AM

The stranger – now identified – introduced himself as Hieronymous, or Hiero for short. Oh, and he's also the High King of the pack he was talking about. No pressure. Why had Cupid met so many kings? Well, one prior, in actuality, and he'd met a queen who he hadn't actually known was a queen. She introduced herself as a normal wolf, and this moronic man hadn't thought to ask otherwise.

Oh, they're hunting grounds, Venus gazed around the area. Right, yes, that wouldn't be good. If he'd had his pups here they'd probably be mistaken for a hare or something. He didn't feel like having his own pups eaten, no thanks. The man took in a sharp breath at the thought, just thinking of these puppies getting hurt or, even worse, killed made his heart sink and his stomach drop; It was a horrible feeling. He already loved the pups that hadn't even been born. They were his, and he'd protect them with his life.

“Yes, yes I'd like to rest, thank you,” Cupid dipped his head graciously. He hadn't made this den for nothing. The man waddled his way back into the den, curling up slowly and quietly. Lids drooping, a yawn emitted from his maw; He needed a break, like, he really really needed a break, especially after making his way from the desert.
 Thank goodness he'd been found by someone who wasn't Satan. Venus closed his eyes, resting before the hopefully-not-too-long journey.

Fade?

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-04-2022, 10:21 PM
With that confirmation Hieronymous set off to do some impromptu fishing. He didn't quite like fishing at this time of the day seeing as the sun would be fading leaving him with a wet pelt for the rest of the night - but hell, it would be worth it at the end of the day. For now, he was just thankful that he was the one to find them rather than anyone else believing that it would have ended in a sour note.

Done! I'm away for the weekend but we can start something new soon if you'd like or PM me all the deets that he'd ask Cupid!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top