Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I will Fly

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
AW
Shiroshika
Adventurer
07-19-2022, 10:59 PM
Perhaps looking for Shiroshika, but anyone welcome 2_face_eyes

Having travelled down the mountains, away from the tundra that he felt and uncanny belonging too, Lynx was looking for somewhere to settle down for a bit, relishing in the quiet as Mjölnir went to search for food.

His paws drifted across small sprouts that seemed to try to crawl out of the ground, wanting to grow big and tall, and Lynx avoided them;
 He wouldn’t crush them when they still had so much growing to do.

A distant howl got his attention. Mjölnir. The man would be happy for his mate to come back to him, but it would be a lie if he said he didn’t enjoy being alone from time to time..

Tilting his head back, Lynx released a call, one that his mate should be familiar with by now.

Mjölnir is one round out!

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
The asshat >:((

Mjölnir will most likely be present in all his threads <3
OOC ≠ IC
Hunter
07-20-2022, 09:11 PM
The roan queen had parted ways with her children and husband with the desire to stretch her legs. Of course, she could hunt along the mountain, but today she sought the woody respite for a less challenging meal. Her youngest had just had their first taste of meat, and though some fought the change, they would need to acclimate to the taste so they might eat on their own one day. She would on produce milk for so long after all.

Her nose worked swiftly as she followed the summer scents in pursuit of a hare, though before she would reach her target, a series of calls distracted her. One was near...and not a howl she recognized. Ira abandoned her trail, moving swiftly after letting a call of her own alert the near intruder of her presence. Rather they chose to leave or stay, she would follow the trail so long as they remained in the Run. Fortunately for her, it would not take long for her to pinpoint the man's location.

What brings you?

the staff team luvs u
07-21-2022, 09:43 PM
I’ll just squeeze in a Mjölnir post after your next one <3

His howl was meant for only one woman, but he knew that with the approaching scent, this was not his woman.
 It was a pack wolf, but not from any of the packs he was familiar with..

What Brings You? She had asked. Tell the truth, or lie to look strong? Lynx would appreciate Mjölnir’s company right now, she was always more social than he was.
 It’d be easier to talk through her, but right now, it seemed she wasn’t here. Had.. these pack wolves done something to her?

With a guarded tone, the man stated, calmly; “I’m merely passing through, waiting for my mate,” Lynx held his tongue for a few quiet moments, before continuing. “We were summoned in the tundra, and we’ve made our way down south.”

That was as much information as he would give out for now, but it’s not like he had anything else to share.
 The man wondered if his dispersed pups were here, or whether they were worried with the abrupt disappearance of their parents.

He hummed, before deciding to add on to his last statement.

“Who are you, if you mind me asking?”
 Lynx tilted his head, and awaited Mjölnir’s arrival.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3

OOC ≠ IC
Adventurer
07-22-2022, 07:27 PM
Though they were close to her claim and lingered the grounds she hunted, Ira held no aggression in her stance. The man before her was a stranger, but he had given no reason for her to be more than curious for the time being. A fresh face then... Another dumped unto this plane with no explanation, though compared to some he seemed rather unphased... or perhaps he was simply good at hiding it. Golden eyes would sweep his form briefly.

For the most part, he appeared a normal wolf, albeit taller than some; but one ear sagged and the tail at his hocks ended abruptly. Idly she would wonder if it was natural or if he had faced something and walked away stronger for it. You may call me Ira, High Queen of Vanderfell Woods. Briefly she gestured with her muzzle to the mountains that stretched beyond the Run. We claim a part of these mountains. Our allies have laid claim nearby as of recent as well. Presently you stand where we hunt. The roan woman's gaze would flick back though her features were stone-like as usual. Ira had always been hard to read, but she fancied his reaction to the news.

Had you a home before? You and your mate. Children perhaps, though there was no telling how much the two had lost in their arrival. With her knowledge, the gods have been kind in reuniting families, though one may have to travel before all were reunited. She would fall silent waiting for his answer, though she would shortly add, I'm afraid whatever comforts you may have had once are now beyond our reach. Rather or not they still existed was unknown, but as far as this world was concerned, they may as well have never existed if they did not follow.

the staff team luvs u
07-24-2022, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2022, 01:02 AM by Lynx. Edited 1 time in total.)

With a dip of his crown, Lynx nodded. This was all new to him, though he could never turn down a challenge. He would never let himself be weak like that. Not until he reached the age of elder...

“Yes,” He answered, as if her previous statement was a question. A twitch of his unnaturally-short tail awaiting the arrival for a certain someone.
 She should be back by now...

High Queen, though, was not exactly something he'd been expecting.
 At her words, Lynx felt his only good ear flatten in a submissive manner, though he quickly regained his dignity and nodded slowly. This didn't feel like a pack territory to him, though.. not enough scent markers, and she didn't seem defensive enough, until..

“These are your hunting grounds?” The man mused, sending his gaze around the area. That did make sense, though, that these would be less enforced if they were only hunting grounds.
 Lynx hummed, before silencing himself and turning back towards the now introduced Ira.

In an apologetic manner, he dipped his head once more. “Apologies if I'm trespassing, then.” Lynx said, ear flicking at the sound of nearby bushes rustling. There she was.

“That is my mate,” He stated, trying to seem as open-book-like as possible. He didn't need himself or @Mjölnir getting executed. Not today, at least. “We did, but our first litter have dispersed already. I don't believe they made it here,” Though.. perhaps he could look for them...

With a nod of understanding, Lynx turned his gaze to where the rustling was loudest, a small smirk appearing on his muzzle.
 She had always been a loud one.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3

OOC ≠ IC
Hunter
Adventurer
07-24-2022, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2022, 11:32 PM by Mjölnir. Edited 1 time in total.)

The woman was happy to be able to split off from Lynx for the time being, to be able to hunt something and then share the meal with him later.

A rabbit hung loosely in her jaw from a previous hunt, but she kept sniffing around. The close scents of rival packs made her hair stand on end, but she was still trying to find somewhere to hunt and rest for a little while.
 The plains looked promising, but Mjölnir knew that Lynx's heart belonged to not only her, but the tundra...

While lost in thought, though, an all-too-familiar call caught her attention. Speak of the devil.

Reluctantly leaving a scent trail that was just getting good, the woman hurried towards her mate, ducking past low-hanging branches and leaping over bushing and shrubs, Mjölnir panted as she ran, though she kept pushing forwards.
 She would not let anything happen to the only wolf she had left.

So, pushing past bushes that were way to rustle-y for her liking, Mjölnir stepped out into the clearing, glancing around for Lynx. And, there he was, some random purple stranger talking to him.
 The familiar scent of oestrogen made her face feel hot, and she stomped up to the man, pushing herself into his fur.

“Are you okay?” She asked quietly. “Who's your new friend?”
 Her tongue was laced with slight hostility, though she softened down as Lynx bumped her waist with his own in a comforting manner. Hmmph.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated.
It’s the lovely lady!! :D

Lynx will almost always be present in her threads <3
OOC ≠ IC
Adventurer
07-30-2022, 11:14 PM
sorry for the wait in between homes atm and have covid :'^)

Ira would nod to the man's acknowledgment. That you are, but I do not mind... so long as our food is untouched. Travelers came and went, but they were just that. Travelers. They would never be permanent inconveniences and those in Vanderfell would ensure this generosity was not taken advantage of by those unsuspecting or unaware. Besides, she was not so cold as to wall up borders and chase off a new face. Vanderfell had done just fine, but new blood would only benefit the pack.

A rustling drew the attention of both as a woman soon joined them. She could make assumptions, but Lynx would fill in the blanks before she had the chance to theorize. His mate. Ira would watch as they exchanged touches albeit brief and the woman's eyes landed on her. I go by Ira. She would speak up before she could be spoken for, not that she had gathered the names of either yet. High Queen of a pack atop this mountain's summit. It was unfortunate to hear of their brood, though it sounded as though they were old enough to care for themselves. Not every child remained close to their family. She certainly hadn't.

I assume you two will be in search of a home to resettle?

the staff team luvs u
07-30-2022, 11:56 PM

Lynx bumped his waist into Mjölnirs in a comforting manner, aiming another kiss at her before she spoke. 
“I'm fine,” he ushered. 
 His gaze flicked back towards Ira as she introduced herself to his mate, and Lynx followed suite. “I am Lynx, by the way.”

The man flicked his tail towards the stoney-oak-hued woman, prompting her to follow suite. 
 High Queen of the pack atop this mountains summit. He wondered how Mjölnir would react to that, but as Ira asked if they were looking for a place to resettle, Lynx squinted.

Was this an invitation, perhaps? The man sent a side-glance to Mjölnir before looking back at the queenly woman.
“Yes, we are,” He stated. “But we don't mean to intrude; We'd hate to take up needed space.”
 His tone was careful; Willing to rest with their pack – Vanderfall Woods – But also ready to leave if need be.

No stress! Take all the time you need :)

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3

OOC ≠ IC
07-31-2022, 12:09 AM

An affectionate growl escaped her maw as Lynx aimed another kiss at her forehead, head dipped near his, but as he introduced himself, Mjölinr snapped back up. 
“Mjölnir,” She stated, affection gone from her voice. But, she couldn't be impolite, sadly... “Nice to meet you, High Queen Ira.”

She wasn't surprised this woman had power. Gaze sweeping over the purple wolves features, it was clear;
 The way she held herself, the way her tongue was laced with command to power, the way she held her paws on this ground like she could tear it up at any given moment. She wasn't an idiot, that was for sure.

Mjölnir quickly returned her mate's side-glance, but what he had said next was not what she was expecting.
 How could he so easily trust a pack that he knew nearly nothing about? “We'll talk about this later,” She growled in his ears. She couldn't believe he'd just.. make a decision without her! 

The woman grumbled for a few moments, but she quickly turned her attention back to them. 
 Whatever. At least this was a chance to have somewhere to rest and hunt for a little while, which was better than fending for themselves in unknown land...

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated.
It’s the lovely lady!! :D

Lynx will almost always be present in her threads <3
OOC ≠ IC
Adventurer
08-06-2022, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 06:50 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
The pleasure is mine. Even if one seemed less pleased than the other to be meeting. They had been their own masters once, perhaps she did not do well in the authority of others? She would not be surprised if they attempted to restate their claim upon new lands. Ira eyed Lynx as he expressed his interest, seemingly biting the hook she had lain quietly, though it was not a promise and his mate made that much clear. Keeping her gaze on him, she would first respond It is only wasted if generosity is wasted and kindness taken advantage.

So long as they kept busy paws it would never be a burden in her eyes, but they had been alphas once before. Surely they knew how to make a pack thrive. Finally she would look once more to the one that, admittedly, interested her a bit more. There was fire inside her, something Ira could respect. Her name was also one she recognized… I do not expect an answer immediately. She had essentially confirmed what both seemed to suspect. Ira would be shocked if they took the offer without further consideration or conversation as a couple.

Her rules would likely be different from their own and the laws of her pack had yet to be stated. If there is anything you wish to know that may aid in your decision I would be happy answer. I will not be offended if this is not the home you seek, but the offer is worth making. They were not the largest pack around, not that she was bothered by that fact. Vanderfell was manageable and she trusted those she had brought under her wing. However, if they proved to be valuable members, she would not mind other children raised beside her own. It would do her brood well to have others aside from their siblings to grow beside and trust.

the staff team luvs u
08-06-2022, 08:19 AM

Lynx nodded as Mjölnir growled in his ear. He wanted to talk about it, too, there was no need to be so snappy.
 The man flicked his tail along his mates side, tilting his head against her for a moment until Ira continued speaking. I do not expect an answer immediately, he was grateful for her leniency in waiting times, dipping his head graciously. 

“Thank you, Ira. We'd like to discuss it a bit first,” Happy wife equals happy life, no? “Oh, one thing, what are your generic laws? Caches filled every month? Regular patrols?” He listed off a few rules that used to be present in his own pack, but now... All that hard work, seemingly for nothing.
 Lynx repressed a huff; he didn't want it to seam like he was huffing at the High Queen.

With only one more flick of his tail, he signalled for he and Mjölnir to have a talk about this opportunity later.
 Personally, the man though it was a great head-start into whatever this place was, but he wouldn't be surprised if she disagreed. Something about Ira seemed to rub her the wrong way, but Lynx couldn't pin-point it. 

Tell me what's wrong so I can help, he thought desperately.

No Mjölnir post for this one, way to tired lmao

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3

OOC ≠ IC
Adventurer
08-06-2022, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 08:40 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
Vanderfell would not be so lucky as to see new faces today, but such was life. Even if Lynx had been traveling alone his joining would not be guaranteed and that was a fact she had long accepted. Most passed by, and so she had grown accustom to calling those new faces she encountered ‘Traveler’ over a name unless one was presented. She would simply nod to the man’s first statement before responding to his question.

Nothing so precise. We expect all to find their strengths and pursue them. Wherever one may aid the pack is enough. Food, medicine, muscle, these are the ideal skills, but there are uses for talents such as ecology, guidance, and so on. Generally speaking, we will find a place for you so long as you are willing to contribute. Ira would pause as her gaze hovered to the stern woman once more,

I should note, we reserve breeding rights for those in the Hedrad. Our honored. Those ranks should be easily obtainable though so long as you seek to better the pack on top of pulling your weight. Something that personally ensured they would not have an abundance of bastards or children with no means to feed them, but perhaps they would detest the idea and seek refuge elsewhere. The rest is namely traditions which may be optional depending on preference. Smaller details may come as you live amongst our ranks. We can be stern, but we are fair. We will seek to keep our peace at all costs and ensure the safety of our young.

the staff team luvs u
08-06-2022, 11:00 AM

It seemed they had no precise rules, which slightly confused Lynx. Though, as she mentioned something called the 'Hedrad' where the breeding-rights consisted, the man was given some slight clarity.

It seemed they had ranks, as Lynx and Mjölnir had, though their pack wasn't as firm with ranks, and more with casual duties to uphold. 

The rest was tradition that they could either follow, or acknowledge; The man wouldn't be so rude to ignore their customs, of course. He dipped his head in understanding, rising from his seated permission and flicking his tail.
 They would return, if his mate agreed, of course. Lynx hoped and prayed she would.

“We will, hopefully, return. If we decide to seek refuge elsewhere, I'll come and inform you.”

Fade?

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3

OOC ≠ IC
08-08-2022, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2022, 02:33 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
yeah we can fade here or end the thread and have a new thread up to you!

Lynx stood beside his mate, both seemingly ready to leave and discuss their options, but not without a few parting words. Ira would nod in understanding, I shall await your decision. There was little left to say, so she would wait for them to turn tail before retreating herself towards the mountain’s slope.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top