Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
o green world

Morning Partly Cloudy
AW
07-17-2022, 08:06 AM
Naomi woke from a dream that she felt sure had been an interesting one, and she wished she could remember it. She gradually realized that something felt... off. Why was she outside? She always slept inside, with... the... who was it again? Where was it again? She opened her eyes slowly... and stared. What was this place? It was so big, endless grass all around her, and a huge lake. She didn't recall ever being here before.

Stumbling to her paws, she craned her neck around to look in every direction. There was no sign of anything or anyone familiar, although she couldn't remember what or who she was looking for, anyway. What was going on? She tried to calm the rising tide of panic within her, telling herself that everything would work out fine, whatever was happening here.

Finding herself thirsty, she stepped up to the water for a drink. In the midst of lapping up the delightfully fresh water, she paused to gaze at her reflection. Was something different about the way she looked? It seemed familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. This was so strange, and she wished someone would just explain everything to her. Wherever she had been before, she knew she hadn't been alone.
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
07-17-2022, 07:12 PM
Uriel approached the water hole, feeling her tongue lopped lightly from the general run across the plains. She thought she saw something unusual beyond the Golden Glade, there was movement in the distance. It looked as if the buffalo were startled, and ran into the opposite direction. Although when she approached and ran, there was nothing. Seemed like something spooked them or a mischievous fauna decided to startle them. Though she was close enough to the watering hole that the golden dame decided to approach and quench her thirst.

She bent down, lopping some water and noticed near her.. Was another wolf. They held whites with some other colors of splattering, a female on the lighter note who looked a bit.. Confused? Uriel lifted her head and smiled at the other, greeting lightly, "Hello there.. Is something wrong?"

the staff team luvs u
07-19-2022, 08:20 AM
When Naomi saw that that someone else was here, she smiled in relief. At least she wasn't alone in this huge, unfamiliar place. But it was all still so strange, and she didn't know how to even explain it. Her tail only gave a couple of nervous wags as she tried to figure out what to say.

"Oh. Hello. Um, I... I'm sort of... lost? I... don't know how I got here. Or how to get back to... to..." She trailed off, frowning, as she realized that she didn't know where she should be, only that it wasn't here. Surely there was somewhere to return to, some sort of home... but her memories of it seemed to have drifted away like clouds. Was she really lost if she didn't know where she was going? Would she never get back home? "I can't remember anything." A slight bit of panic crept into her voice. What had happened to her?
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-26-2022, 02:11 AM
She was one of them, one of her, for Uriel was of the same.. She came to this land months ago, not remembering who she was besides her own name and random knowledge here and there, that couldn't be explained why she knew, but she knew. An emptiness, and frustration within her heart.. And she sympathized with the other while approaching closer and smiling gingerly, "Many who come to this land.. Are the same."

Would the golden dame start to explain, "no one knows how they came here, but many arrive without memories.. I didn't either." She had hoped with these words the other would feel less alone and confused, at the very least Uriel felt safe if someone did the same to her.

the staff team luvs u
07-28-2022, 10:52 AM
While the other wolf's presence and words were comforting, Naomi had more questions than ever, and found that she could barely speak. It was almost dizzying as she tried to process this information. In a way, it was relieving to know that there were many others in this land who were in the same situation as herself, so it wasn't some bizarre anomaly that had only happened to her, but... Where did she go from here?

"This is... so strange. What do I do now then?" Her face was still filled with confusion. If this had happened to many others, what did they all do? How long had they been here? Had they settled down and made this their home? Where should she go? She had so many questions that she couldn't voice them all. It seemed that there was no way to return to her old life, her old home, wherever that might be... It would be hard to accept that there was no going back, only forwards.
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
08-01-2022, 03:55 AM
"Oh, uhm.." Uriel had a ponder for a second, on some suggestions to the lost soul. Unlike Rannoch, she didn't have that same charisma or kindness that brought wolves together to form what he was imagining. She didn't want to take in lost individuals when she too, had no general aim or direction, where simply going where the wind goes while trying to hold onto something so simple as a home, that she felt would escape her grasp.

"There's quite a few packs nearby.." Uriel said, an inclining and nudge if she was interested in that life, at the very least the golden dame could perhaps guide her to those directions. When she thought of them, there was a few wasn't there..? Elsyium, Northfall — were the ones most familiar, but Vanderfell and Shiroshika were on the tip of her tongue as well. Warcrest didn't seem.. A pack that would suit this fellow ; after all, there was war in their name.

the staff team luvs u
08-03-2022, 08:07 AM
It was all still so overwhelming that it would probably take some time for Naomi to truly calm down and accept that her whole life had changed overnight, but she tried to focus. Packs? Really she was only vaguely aware that she even was a wolf. Something felt unfamiliar about it. She didn't think that she had been in a pack before or even been a wolf before, but a pack was... a sort of family, in a way. Somewhere to belong. And that sounded better than being alone. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to keep exploring this strange new place by herself, but having the comfort and safety of others would be good too.

"I... I guess I would feel safer with a pack. Are they... nice packs?" she asked a bit timidly. She wasn't normally such a fearful type, but waking up in an unknown world didn't exactly put her in a confident mood. She wasn't back to being herself yet. And she worried a little that a pack might not accept her for some reason.

"Are you in a pack?" She was curious because this lady seemed nice, so it would be convenient if she was in a group of equally kind wolves who would welcome newcomers. Naomi had forgotten to ask her name, a question that had gotten buried beneath the many other questions she wanted to ask.
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
08-10-2022, 05:44 PM
The golden girl was quick to nod in an assurance that there was some around that were pleasant. Although she knew evil lurked, in truth Uriel has never met any. Only rogues and loners who caused a bit of a terror ; but there was one out there that fought against a tiger, and could only wonder who that pack was? Were they in a misunderstanding, or were they on the lines of the same evil? But she didn't who they were.. None that could be recommended except the few nice ones she did know of, "Elysium is very nice," Uriel commented, for that was the only one she knew someone personally from.

"Oh, no.. I'm a loner, but I live in the Golden Glade. You're welcome to stay there," she pointed her golden snout at the same golden realm in the distance. Beyond the hills was a small forest, dispersed with shrubbery and oaks ; a pretty little thing that though she did not claim, someone (@Lore ) was lightly marking to stray away any rogues. At the very least, Uriel lived in a quiet peace compared to many, many storms.

the staff team luvs u
08-13-2022, 08:15 AM
Naomi tilted her head thoughtfully. So there was a pack called Elysium -- even the name sounded lovely. But the helpful gold wolf lived somewhere called the Golden Glade, which... also sounded lovely. Was there a choice to make? Or could Naomi choose both? It would be good to have a safe place to stay for the time being, but she thought she would eventually want to have a whole group around, a large family to belong in... It was what she was used to, from her past life, or at least she thought so.

"Hmm. Where does Elysium live? Maybe I can stay in the Golden Glade for a while, and then go find these Elysium wolves and see if I would fit in?" She was calming down more now from the panic and confusion of before, and she started to realize that she had forgotten her manners. "Um, what's your name? I'm... Naomi." Yes, she remembered her name at least, though it took her a second. "And thank you for all the help and everything." It would have been much more difficult if she had to wander alone and figure everything out herself, searching for safety, though she didn't know how dangerous these lands really were.
the staff team luvs u
08-15-2022, 03:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2022, 03:14 AM by Uriel.)
Her head flickered to the closest mountains that stood north. Nearly touching the borders of what is the tundra, "they claim part of those peaks, though I believe a few other packs are also around there, but I do not know their names," and yet to meet one. Although she was unaware another pack moved in those same shadows, as far as smell went, there was more then just Elsyium, finding themselves to the claim. She had heard of no strife and smelled of no blood, and hoped they were at peace.

"I am Uriel, anyone is welcomed to stay there, as long as you would like ; it is not claimed land." She smiled at the other, and was wholly ready to show her that area.

can make a new thread or background it showing her to the Golden Glade, totally up to you!

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2022, 09:24 AM
Naomi's curiosity was slowly building, and she wanted to find out more about these lands and all the packs and wolves that lived here. There would be so much to discover. This might not be so bad after all. She wondered if everyone here was as kind as Uriel or if she was lucky to meet someone like her first... But she was sure she could find somewhere to belong.

"All right then, please lead the way. Thanks again." She smiled, feeling more like her usual happy self again, full of optimism. The Golden Glade might turn out to only be one stop on her journey, but it could be a nice one, a safe place where she could think over all the extraordinary things that had happened today, and get used to her new life.

-
(i guess we can just background it! ending this thread then?)

the staff team luvs u
08-20-2022, 04:02 AM
sounds good for me!

The walk to the Golden Glade was not at all far. Uriel smiled brightly, and started to lead Naomi to the shrubbed forest that was only a few hours away at most, by the time they would make it.. It may as well be mid-afternoon then anywhere near the night. Although on the way, they would pass by the rest that cradled closely toward it, and would observe some bison.

Long ago she dreamed of being strong enough to hunt them, but not swearing off of meat.. Admires from afar.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top