Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
A fire with nothing to burn

Evening Overcast
AW
06-25-2022, 02:05 AM
They stood on top of one of the many frozen peaks around them. A fitting pair, matching even down to the small amounts of white they both held. The fiery wolf had only been awake for minutes before they decided to get a vantage point of their unfamiliar surroundings. Now their paws were blistered and bloody, aching with a sore passion. They swiped their tongue over one, refusing the urge to cry out because of pain. The small comfort they had was that the snow around them, albeit a small amount, prevented them from becoming too thirsty.
But the snow couldn’t prevent their eyes from becoming heavy, and eventually they curled up with their tail across their face. Despite how much they desired to sleep, the red wolf stayed on the cusp. Keeping themself just awake enough to be aware of any oncoming danger.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: CFFB34-BA-56-AB-4-AC0-AE7-C-0-C54-DF9-BF35-A.gif]
3-2-3 Rated
Warning
“Latin” | “Common”
07-03-2022, 06:08 PM
The albino had been out exploring when the scent of blood captured his attention. Instantly he moved towards it, only to find a wolf that seemed to have been through hell. With a low growl to announce his presence, he would speak up, his voice deep and low. "You seem lost, not much of a desert dweller, are you?" There was a hint of amusement in his voice, watching them with bright red eyes. 

He knew where some water was near them, but he wanted to see what the wolf wanted first. Perhaps it was rude of him to hold water hostage, but this was his domain and only the hopeless or stupid wandered into the desert unprepared.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 594e2082-689d-11ed-b829-057c57b7de88.gif]
07-07-2022, 01:05 AM
They suddenly snapped out of their trance as the scent of another wolf filled their nose. They'd hoped slightly that they would be alone in this cold wasteland, but it seemed hope had done nothing. Why anyone would want to be here was a mystery to the wolf.

They didn't stand up until they were approached, as a small part of them thought if they laid still enough they'd be left alone, but that was wishful thinking. As soon as they got up, sharp canines pierced their pink tongue, a metallic reminder left there to even out the pain. The pain caused by the frozen sand that crawled its way into their paws, tearing open their previously scabbed over cuts.

Still they forced themself to greet this wolf on their feet. Fiery eyes scanned over the tall man of pinkish hues that stood before them, the fur along their back rising. Luckily their voice didn't portray the fear their body did.

“Not like this. Usually the sand doesn't bite back.” They gave a weary glance at their red stained paws, thinking of soft ground that held heat like fire, and wishing to have that again, wherever that may be. This thought brang a question to their lips.

“Where would this place be? What is it, and you as well, be called?” Seraphim asked, words holding the faint sound of an accent.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated
Warning
“Latin” | “Common”
07-08-2022, 11:40 PM
The scent of blood was in the air, and this time it wasn't just from the albino man himself. Instead, it seemed to be coming from her and red eyes narrow slightly as he watched her, noticing that her paws were likely burnt. Hearing her words, he would raise an eyebrow slightly before flicking his tail slightly. "The name is Satan, you're in a place called Altarcama, not too far from my pack, Warcrest. " He would flick his head, gesturing for her to come with him. "Come, water is this way." He began to walk south, not really bothering to see if she was following him. After all, he had all the cards in this situation. She could choose to either stay there and get more hurt by the sun and the sands, or she could follow him to water. 

"Who are you? Why have you found yourself here?" He didn't glance her way as he talked, expecting her to be following him.

the staff team luvs u
07-12-2022, 07:36 AM
They quickly followed after him, but let themself fall behind a few paces. Wary eyes keeping note of his body language. A simple ear flick could mean as much as a planned ambush, and they didn't want to miss a single clue.

Still part of their mind wandered. Altarcama.. A beautiful name for à place so fierce. Their paws still ached, and they doubted they could forgive the terrain until that ceased. But maybe one day they could learn to love the fiery cold landscape.

White frosted ears shot forward as the male before them spoke. An obvious question to ask, just one they had no proper answer to. They let out a deep breath before responding.

“My name is Seraphim. I awoke in… Altarcama, about a day ago now. I climbed up one of those peaks, which tore my paws. You found me, and here we are”
They understood that wasn't the intended question, but they only understood so much. It would have to do.
“I'm not sure of anything before that. Everything of importance pulls away before I can reach it, like the memories of a dream ”
the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated
Warning
“Latin” | “Common”
07-18-2022, 05:01 AM
It was clear that she didn't trust him, not that he cared, if anything he was impressed. Not many were as careful as she was and, if put to use correctly, she could certainly be a wonderful asset. It didn't take him long as someone who knew the desert well, to find the small watering hole, much smaller than any of the others that could be found here. They were few and far between, but he knew where to look. 

Sitting down at the edge of the water, he would let her drink, laying himself down to show her that he had no intentions on attacking her. "That seems to be the way that many arrive here, though myself I found myself in the snowy hills far north of here. My name is Satan Drazen and I'm the leader of Warcrest. If you want, you can stay within our walls to rest your paws." He didn't want to outwardly offer her a place just yet, instead wanting to see how she would take his offer. She was already cautious and last thing he needed was for her to try and run off. Not that she would get very far though. It would just be certainly tedious.

the staff team luvs u
08-02-2022, 04:22 AM
He kept his word and they were thankful for that. They weren’t sure their frail paws could handle a fight in their current condition. The red wolf looked longingly at the small body of water, the glossy liquid inviting their parched tongue. Fiery stars looked around for any sign of suspicion one last time, before their head bowed to the water. Seraphim graciously lapped up the heavenly liquid.

Their body language was noticeably less tense as they lifted their head, water dripping from their creamy chin. They turned, sitting with their back mostly facing the water, listening to the man as he spoke. It was slightly comforting to know they weren’t alone in their sudden appearance.

“That’s a very kind offer, thank you” They said with only a small amount of hesitation. They didn’t like accepting favours usually, but they weren’t left with much of a choice. Still their heart anxiously pounded as they accepted, hopefully this wouldn’t come back to bite them in the ass.

“Must've been a far journey, travelling from snow to sand. Why’d you choose to build your home here?” They asked once the awkward silence settled in. Once he started speaking they’d shift their weight and begin to clean the sand out of their tender paws.
the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated
Warning
“Latin” | “Common”
08-24-2022, 11:34 AM
The man would simply nod at her thank you, never one for helping others unless it helped him which, this inevitably did. Having her stay to rest was the first stop at getting her to join him. As the silence fell, though she may find it awkward, he did not and instead, chose to go on alert, watching around him as if he was ready for someone to attack him at any point. In all honesty, he was. Not because he was scared, but because he had made a lot of enemies in his short time here and last thing he needed was for them to come knocking. 

As she posed her question though, he would glance back at her, bright red eyes watching her before speaking. "I've always been partial to the desert. Once you learn how to hide albino skin from the heat, then it's not too bad. I despise the snow, too much hiding and scheming. Here you have to be tough enough to survive or the buzzards will get you before the morning." It may sound like he was being mean, but for once he was only being truthful. 

Slowly, he would move to stand, gesturing his head back south. "Come, let me show you around a bit. Welcome to Warcrest."

the staff team luvs u
09-10-2022, 04:28 AM
Ending it here

They didn't bother to reply, to his answer. Having lived in sandy deserts their whole life, Seraphim had never stepped foot on grass, let alone snow (at least since before Canis). Thus, they had no opinion on the matter. Still the point he brought up hiding his 'albino' skin, made her take a closer look at the man's pelt. They had noticed his odd complexion upon his arrival but hadn't given it any thought. But his light skin being easily harmed by the sun's rays made sense to the scarred wolf. A nasty gash on their side had left the area hairless and white as it healed, which led to their first sunburn. Next their orange eyes drifted to the shroud of blood he wore. Which must be what he meant by hiding.

They would rise as he did, teeth latching onto their tongue once again. "Come, let me show you around a bit. Welcome to Warcrest."
The red wolf would inhale deeply, releasing their jaw as they did. Before exhaling and following after their temporary leader.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated
Warning
“Latin” | “Common”
scroll to top