Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Tell me, why I am I here again?

AW
06-15-2022, 04:54 PM

@Vendrussel :3 

My sweet, short version of his re-awakening! It's a bit sloppy, but I just woke up.. soo, this is the best I can do until my brain returns to life XD

The dive had been steep.
Somewhere below, rocks had been hidden beneath the waves, giving no warning of their presence. Absinthe, being too clouded by the means to prove himself without question, took no moment of hesitation before bounding from the ledge. There was no time to see the possibilities below.
There was no such thing as slow falling; not with his weight. He plummeted at a quick speed, plunging right into the water. Only, water wasn't the first thing he hit on his way in. A rock cut off the speed of his fall. The shadow's head hit hard, leaving his body motionless while the current formed over and swept him up.
Water continuously poured through both nose and mouth, slowly filling his lungs. He likely would have sunk if the water hadn't been moving at the pace it was.
Eventually, it carried him towards the shore, shoving his body into a pit of slimy sand.
Absinthe woke a time later, choking up the salty substance while gasping for air. Like a child, his silvery eyes searched frantically around him. He wasn't exactly sure what he was looking for. Maybe proof that he was actually alive and not seeing things in death.

the staff team luvs u
'' The rain is my escape. When it falls, so does the wall concealing my identity from the world. It the only time I can truly be me and dance in the rain, nothing but free. ''
06-15-2022, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2022, 05:01 PM by Vendrussel.)
Backlog before 8-10

It had been some time since a few members disappeared. Their scent lacked, and she didn't find a trace of them even on the isle and beach ; no one knew where they went. Although a few disappeared before even the war begun, even before the deeds she done were happening and couldn't help but wonder what did draw them away. Vendrussel would sit upon a boulder and gaze out at the sea, she would think about each member, those who left willingly, and those who simply disappeared. Was this part of being a Pack Leader? Wolves coming and going? Within her clan, those who left, only did because they perished.

Her nose twitched, the awfully familiar scent of another was upon her. She scorched the isle, prowling until seeing a figure upon it's beach, wet and shallowed, like another drifter that was brought from the sea itself like a shell of the ocean. Although it wasn't an unfamiliar figure, and she ran toward the other. Frantic within sniffing, a surprise upon her face as she uttered his name, "Absinthe?"

How long had it been since she last saw him? Months? Nearly a year? Just a long, long time.

the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2022, 05:28 PM by Absinthe. Edited 1 time in total.)
Head lifting from the sands, the man groaned. The woman before him looked quite familiar, but he couldn't quite place a name. He just lay there, staring blankly at someone he felt he should have remembered so clearly. Unfortunately, no matter how long he waited and stared, nothing came to him. But rather than ask the idiotic question of "Who are you?", as anyone normal would have done, he said nothing. She clearly knew him, so how would she think of him now if he claimed to not know her.

“That water ...” The shadow paused, heaving another spew of water. “... is no joke.” Clearly, it hadn't been too kind to him. That much was obvious.

Everywhere ached. Absinthe could feel it in near every portion of his body. But laying here felt odd; he needed to get up, to seem somewhat put together. He tried once, but then slid back down over the sand after having a bit of trouble finding a decent footing. Had he forgotten where his feet were too? Second time's the charm? And again, he pushed himself up, this time managing to hunker into a low sit.
the staff team luvs u
'' The rain is my escape. When it falls, so does the wall concealing my identity from the world. It the only time I can truly be me and dance in the rain, nothing but free. ''
06-15-2022, 05:20 PM
"You been gone for months." Before her was a man that was one of the first to join Dragonford. He rose to the ranks and although a challenge was to occur to see if he rose further, it was halted. Although no mistaking it was the same man she so knew, he was tall and dark. Dubbed similar by his ways but changed another and recalled as 'dark dragon,' for reasons of possibly.. Unadmittingly.. Forgetting another member held such a title ; but even then it mattered not for he disappeared shortly after.

"Where have you been?" She looked at him in a worry, circling him as she observed anything. Bruises, change in appearance, scars, something to indicate something had happened and not just 'wisped' away like so many. However, he looked perfectly fine just a bit bashed by the seas itself.

He no longer smelled of Dragonford, only the thick ocean salt.

the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2022, 05:27 PM by Absinthe. Edited 1 time in total.)
"You've been gone."

"Where have you been?"

Where have I been? Hell, he didn't even know. It was all a blur. All he could remember was the plummet. 

“I haven't the faintest clue.” It was an embarrassing thing to admit, really, but what else could he tell her besides the truth?

Absinthe's eyes followed as she searched. What was she looking for? There was nothing to be found upon him besides the thickly grasp of sea water. Thinking of it now made him want to gag and wretch, but there was no more within him to relinquish. 

She continued on and his gaze roamed elsewhere, searching the barren island he now sat upon. The memory was a fog, but it was still there.. slightly. He'd been here before. Surely he had.
the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 05:33 PM
She sighed, although smiled lightly. He was always a man of few words, a rather stoic sense to him but was unquestionable loyal during his time. Vendrussel didn't realize just yet his memories were a bit unusual, as well as his behavior. She thought he was just a bit confused from the overall ocean that devoured him and spit him back ; for his memories failed, and he didn't know where he came from. She wondered what Gods did this? Or did The Ancients take him for testing? One of her members, only to throw him back into the fold?

"Welcome back," she announced, "are you still willing to be one of us? A lot has happened, since you been gone. We have fought with our neighbors, as they came to our isle in words it's theirs.. Though unfortunately neither were I completely innocent, as I stolen one of their own lives." He wasn't around during the struggle, although vaguely in the beginning when they first met the Stormborns of Northfall. When they were still fresh, without even a claim to stand on, and no one in Dragonford even knew they were there.

But now here was Absinthe, once more, in the middle of this all. Was he still a dark dragon of the ford, or but another loner during this news?

the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 05:44 PM
It was evident now. He had definitely been here before. With all she spoke of past time and memories he couldn't recall, they both knew it to be true. But if to have left and now somehow end up back here on these isles, that must mean something. Maybe he was never meant to leave. So should he stay? According to this woman, there had been death and battle in his absence and it will likely continue on. If he were to leave now, he'd be leaving them a body short. What could it hurt? And who knows... maybe everything will return to him.

“I'll stay.” This time, for good. Absinthe was a man of his word. If he'd promised his allegiance before, why break it here?
the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 05:55 PM
She smiled wide, all too happy to have familiar faces back. Although he was some strange, she cared not too it and tossed it to the side in the previous trust she had to him. He would do well back into the ranks, especially as there was a few younger ones now roaming the isle then there was before. One was still under a year, and the other looked to just hit his age. Since he was once a member as well he did not need to renew with the dive once more, as already, had gained the trust of her, and hopefully the rest on another date.

"We welcome back the dark dragon," Vendrussel said on a more official note. She opened her mouth, about to let a series of information but realized that might be too much.. He just came from the sea itself, spat out like a piece of coral. He was wet, drenched and maybe hungry, "Are you feeling alright?"

Her paw ventured closer into the isle's forest, "the cache's are fresh if you are hungry."

the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 06:04 PM
The dark dragon. Catchy. Definitely an epithet to stick around. Not only did it suite his appearance, but it offered a sense of confidence and welcome among the isle of dragons. What better way to be reunited with his, now, homeland.

“I'll be fine.” He answered, trying his best to reduce the befallen scowl he held. It wasn't that he was unhappy; his facade was often either barren or brutish. Sometimes he just couldn't help it. “Just need to walk it off.” Though it may not have been as simple as that, Absinthe would play it off nonetheless. 

Standing, the shadow paced a few steps, stretching out the ligaments that felt the most tense. During the while, he heard the woman begin to speak again. She mentioned a meal. Normally, he may have been more accepting of the offer, but he honestly felt too ill to eat. The knots in his stomach would take a bit more time to settle, regardless of what he admitted. “I'll eat later.” Was all he'd say, leaving the spaces for her to fill, if she even cared to.
the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 06:24 PM
She didn't wish to leave him alone, not with how he arrived, not with how he was. Although she knew him very little, for he was a very silent man ; for all Vendrussel knew he was.. Confused and lonely. She trusted him, as so she did to anyone who jumped the cliff, as good faith. She hummed lightly watching him stretch his limbs, the leftover water that clung to his fur dripped.

"Care for a race then?" Maybe to lighten such a mood and his muscles that were confined by the ocean brim. Her paw ventured to a tree that hung over the water some distances away, indicating it as a finishing line of sorts.

the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 06:37 PM
The offer for a race invited a taunting smirk, drawn carefully out across his lips. She didn't want to be rid of him so soon. Similarly so, he wouldn't like to be rid of her just yet either. A wolf like him, mangled by the sea, would not look too appealing to anyone else. At least he had someone's interest.

Challenges always seemed to bring along their own form of adrenaline boost. So long as he was able to move without stumbling like an incompetent fool, he would accept in just about any condition. “Bet you'll lose.” The dark dragon cooed hollowly, drawing a paw out to ready himself. 

In fun, there was hardly ever fair play. So rather than wait for a starting signal, Absinthe bounded forward, fixing his shoulders right to keep his line straight. He spared no ounce of attention, not even looking back to see if she'd caught on to his antics. It was a bit of a rough start for him, but with a thrumming heart and an itch to be triumphant, he pushed himself hard.
the staff team luvs u
06-16-2022, 07:31 PM
She grinned, "oh yeah?" Although even before getting a confirmation, he was off. The main of stoicness and didn't really say much seemed to enjoy that spark of competitiveness, and she with a face full of smiles and joy, started to chase after. He gained a margine, a cheater so she would curse to the inside but laughed as Vendrussel marched through the sands, maneuvering her paws to continue a relatively good pace onwards of the coast.

Yet, she was used to the sands. With a smirk now, she looked at him with ocean-eyes, and pushed herself forward so that her own was ahead of the game, although did not know whether she'd reach the finish line or not. She was also someone of a large competition, why else have original fights with another pack? She, like many, did not like losing. The times that were, Vendrussel did not forget.

She would redeem herself.

For herself, and for everyone who believes in her.

the staff team luvs u
06-16-2022, 08:15 PM
Despite the adrenaline rush he'd been provided, there was one obstacle he hadn't considered. The terrain. Not being too familiar with the coarse, grainy beaches, Absinthe was at a grave disadvantage. The woman, however, was not. Upon turning his muzzle towards her, he could see that was having no issue keeping a top speed and agile balance. He huffed at this, knowing all too well how this would end. 

Just as assumed, the victory would not be his. She had crossed over the marked line a few paces before he reached her flank. On the usual occasion where he'd not been successful, Absinthe was a sour loser, sometimes even taking violent measures toward his opponent. But he didn't feel this way now. For this opponent had smiled wide and laughed jubilantly as their little challenge proceeded. How could anyone be enraged by such a loss? Even for someone like him.

“I must admit... the sand is no merciful opponent,” A small chuckle followed the words, stealing the spotlight from his grim expression. 

Looking upon the woman's face then made him think. Why continue pretending he knew everything from before? It was only a lie, one he would very soon get called out for.

“There's something else I should admit.” The dark dragon then looked to as feet, mirroring the act of a guilty child confessing something to his mother. “I must have hit my head before, somewhere... but, when on the beach, I could remember nothing. It is true what I said before, when you found me. I don't remember anything. Not even your name. That bit pains me the most.” Cocking his head slightly, Absinthe wondered how she would react to his confession. Would she maybe think he was telling a false tale? Maybe she would scorn him and lose any respect. He'd already promised to remain here on the isles as one of her dragons, but would this news make her change her mind?
the staff team luvs u
06-17-2022, 06:27 PM
As she won so there was a small victory lap as she circled with a jest of a smile, all in good faith of fun between packmates. A forgetting of the potential dreariness in the backdrop that she so prominently decided to move forth with a new vigor, "Swing your tail when you feel yourself faltering to one side," she so advised about the terrian of sand. The rest she imagined over time wolf figure out best, specifically moments such as what weight to balance for himself that won't devise to a faltering falling. Each wolf had their difference in how they put weight into their step.

Although his next words are pondering as she listened, quietly, her facing falling to neutrality, "this realm is mysterious. Even I had memories that once were forgotten," she so admitted. In the beginning she remembered all, and then suddenly barely any of her homeland. At least, the people were voided that could not be remembered, "it is not so surprising to vanish, and return without a memory." Maybe in another way she would be suspicious, but he once was a long-time member of the ford, and this land is.. Suspicious, to say the least.

"I am Vendrussel, Alpha of Dragonford. You were once a member, before disappearing." Smiling, as she said so, "you took the dive off of our cliffs, a pledge to be one of us, a dragon within our ford."

the staff team luvs u
06-18-2022, 03:34 AM
Her laughter had shown the defeat all the more worthwhile. She pranced around him, but not out of arrogant boastfulness. Few were like this in reality. Then when she offered a pointer about how to better his movement, Absinthe listened with keen curiosity. Now he would perform better the next time she gave to him a challenge.

Unlike his held expectations, the woman had no disdain for his loss of memory. Instead of scold him or point him back toward the water where he came, she provided the information he sought without question. An admirable way to proceed in such an occasion. Even something as little as this would boost the respect the dark dragon held for his new — well, not that new — Alpha. 

Vendrussel, so that was her name. It would be stuck to memory, never to be lost again. 

“Vendrussel,” He repeated, feeling the name across his tongue. “Thank you.” With a tip of his snout, he extended his upmost gratitude for her compliance. It was certainly nice to know someone had some ounce of trust in him.
the staff team luvs u
07-03-2022, 04:48 PM
we can wrap here!

She smiled brightly. There was no shame in the loss of memory, and would happily welcome him back who was already a dragon long ago, "come, the isle awaits." The intention was to show the island and it's ways, where some dens are, where the water source is, and any other hunting grounds that was around the beach. To explain that the brim as well as their hunting grounds, for the forest was blessed with prey that they made caches there or returned to the ford's isle.

There was a lot to remember again, the landscape was unusual, and he would do well to learn it's depth once more.

the staff team luvs u
07-11-2022, 03:22 PM
Last from me!

"Come, the isle awaits."

A terrifying realization, just about. For the second time, it seemed, he was giving his life to a cause he knew nothing about. There were enemies, creatures, and who knows what else to battle in this game of survival. And now... now he would have to fight for both himself and others. Would it all be worth it in the end? Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to make it to the end.

Even with his doubts, Absinthe chose to follow, flanking the dark woman as she led him further within. There would be trivial times and harsh truths, but what was life other than this? At least here, he would be given a chance to create his own path. And it would certainly be an entertaining one.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top