Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Cod & Chill!?

Afternoon
P
Hunter
06-13-2022, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2022, 09:39 PM by Ragnar. Edited 1 time in total.)
For @Amata

It had been some time since Ragnar had spoken to the two yearlings whom had lost their way and ended up on the Brim. Even then, he had not truly had much conversation with them- only inviting them to their home when Sindri had brought them to their shores and out from the gloom southward.

Today he had a means for making up for such a loss in time. Much had been happening within Northfall, both good and bad, but he needed not forget about those which resided within his very home.

So now he followed the scent of the yearling girl, Amata, with a large cod gripped within his jaws as a gift to her.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
Content Warning
06-16-2022, 12:03 AM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • crude humor
^^There were many striking differences between this home and her last; the main being that Amata hadn’t taken anyone’s eye out for a mid-day snack, and the overall place didn’t fucking smell of a rotten cooch.

The people here, from what Amata could witness, seemed tolerable, despite being in the middle of a war with their neighbor. Some part of her wondered if Levi would join the ranks and join them — actually, on second thought, she knew he would.

Fighting, guts, and glory were Levi’s middle name, and while she had joined them after removing an eye - Amata wasn’t about that life. Actually, she wasn’t sure what the hell she wanted to do, but she definitely enjoyed being able to eat again.

So when the Cutiepie of Northfall blessed her with his appearance, and a fish in his jaws, Amata paused her daily grooming over her coat and blinked up at him.

“Good afternoon. To what do I owe the pleasure?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
06-17-2022, 09:25 PM
Ragnar looked to the young woman with a smile, despite his mouth full of fish and then settled it down in the space which lie between them. “I figured I'd offer you a gift from the sea. Did you have a coast in your former home?” There was little which Ragnar knew of them, savor what had been told by Sindri...

They were a couple of yearlings that just happened to get lost from their former home- whether that being in this land or another realm beyond. Their former pack was a bloodied one and the boy seemed to fancy Amata with a ruthless possessiveness.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
06-18-2022, 01:07 AM
^^With the way Levi was, it wouldn’t have surprised Amata to learn that the ruling pair of Northfall hadn’t known much about them. Levi was very protective, reserved, and didn’t really open up to anyone - why on earth he had clung to Amata was anyone’s guess.

To have someone smile at her who was dreamy as Ragnar was, caused her little heart to flutter, and she couldn’t help but to smile back, although it made her face feel weird. “Oh, a gift for me?” Jesus, Amata, don’t let it go to your head (it would anyway.)

With the fish between them now, Amata slowly moved to sniff at it, and then she tried to lick it. The scales felt strange against her tongue, and she frowned at it for a moment. She would find a way to cherish this gift, as it had been the first ever gift she’d ever gotten.

“No, actually; I’ve never been to the coast before I ended up here. It was a hunting accident that brought me here, away from… them. Levi followed after me, and I’m sure he blames me for being here.”

Or so she had assumed. It wasn’t like he was the type to talk about his feelings, especially with Amata.

“What about you? Have you always lived here?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-19-2022, 09:47 PM
Ragnar could not help the wiry smirk which toyed at the corners of his lips when the young wolf made way to investigate the new food she had, licking the scales with a frown from the awkwardness of it. “Scales can be just as annoying as fur or feathers being stuck to your tongue.” He admits. “It takes practice but there is a way to peel the skin off a fish in just a few good slices- far quicker then plucking any bird.”

Ragnar sat down then, listening as the growing girl spoke up of their former home and how they ended up being seperated in the first place. “Maybe the two of you could find your way back, if that is what you both would want?” Of course, Ragnar did not want that but this was only his selfish desire to have his pack strong and successful. Amata and Leviathan were both young and healthy, which much they could offer Northfall in time.

“Your former home... do you think it was in this realm?” He shook his head and make a disgruntled sound. No, no, no! That didn't sound right. “What I mean is, my family and I were traveling and laid ourselves to rest for the day. When we woke, we woke in this realm, not knowing how it happened. Then I found these mountains here to call our own.”
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-25-2022, 10:30 PM
^^It felt weird and almost bizarre to be having a normal conversation with the leader of Northfall. Coming from the Nightwalkers, Amata had never seen Venny around, until he had wanted to be seen.

And yet, here they were; Dreamer Ragnar and Amata, having a pleasant conversation over a fish! He gave her the cutest little smirk as she had dove into the fish, not once thinking to remove the fish skin - er, scales - because she’d never seen a fish to know that she had to de-scale them.

They were like feathers, Ragnar had said, and with a goofy grin, Amata nodded her head. Fish feathers. Slowly, she slid the fish over. “Can you teach me how to remove them? Ah, please?”

Ragnar’s question about returning home caused her to lower her ears a bit, unsure if he was asking just to see where her loyalties may lie, or if he did not want her amongst Northfall. She would give him the benefit, of course, smiling softly at him. Her thoughts drifted to Levi as she answered, already knowing how he’d react to a question like that.

“If Levi wishes to find a way back, then he may, but he will be making that journey alone. I like it here, Ragnar.” Mostly because she didn’t really know anyone, and could eat from the caches, and would not be punished for something that was beyond her control.

It was cute, also, to watch Ragnar backtrack his question, with that weird sound. She smiled over at him with a girlish giggle. “I don’t have any memories before the Nightwalkers, but I know they aren’t my kin. I guess that means I truly am alone.”

But somehow, that didn't bother her at all.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
07-14-2022, 12:31 AM
Ragnar called himself a King of the North and as far as he was aware, the first- if not the coolest but he did not lead upon a pedestal. He would "lay in the dirt" just like any of member, of what another might consider a "peasant". The Torbine Empire of Archers, his family, held themselves in such high regard.

Ragnar would have mucu rather his members grow to love, respect and perhaps admire him. It took much more work and indeed much patience, but it would show better results then just ruling by fear and strength alone. One time of lowering your guard, one time of becoming sick or injured, meant their was a far more chance of someone taking advantage of a time for mutiny.

It seemed already, despite the little time which had passed, Amata was already happy to call Northfall her home. Ragnar smiled to her words, but shook his head when she said that she did not remember her past and that she was alone. “No,” Ragnar objected with a sharpness, “You are a wolf of Northfall now. You have your pack.” And what was the point of it, if they did not stand together as one? Well, might as well be a loner then.

“And since your sticking around...” He spoke, flopping one large creamy paw onto the head of the fish. “I won't be wasting my time showing you how to skin this fish.” He said, a playful smirk returning to him. “Now pay attention.” Lowering his head, he stuck his front small teeth into a placement behind the gills. A few quick strips later, the majority of the scales had been removed. He did it quickly, if only to tease her. “Now you got it?”
the staff team luvs u
10-30-2022, 11:43 PM
^^He had been playful, and joking, but there was something about his words that made her frown. Which was likely not the effect he’d been going for. He was not the disgusting, foul beast of the south, and Amata was no longer the scared child she had been.

She was grown now, and so far, Ragnar had been kind. So perhaps he wouldn’t punish her too harshly for what she was about to say.

But first, she would learn how to de-scale, or skin, a fishie. Which was… not even that impressive, and Amata didn’t feel like she learned anything at all! “Yes, but sir?” Amata asked softly, looking up at him with cute, innocent eyes, in an attempt to sway him. (And to test to see how he managed when she looked at him like this.)

“Is it really considered a waste of time if it’s a valuable life skill? Why does it matter where I’ll end up?”

She tilted her head softly, brows arching up in general curiosity.
^^

the staff team luvs u
11-28-2022, 03:31 AM
A frown. Ragnar's head tilts, tongue lolling out his mouth to get at a few silvered scales which stuck to his maw. Obviously, he was confused, though the king was not forced to wait long for answers.

She gave him big eyes, calling him 'sir'. He smirks.

[Image: tumblr_nq4chu2zep1utsayyo2_540.gif]

“Well, ”he said as he plopped to the earth. “Perhaps I've no intention of wasting my time teaching someone if they are planning to up and leave?” He spoke, his icy eyes locked to her features. He waits a moment, to gauge her reaction to his words before adding, “Besides, here you have the coast and many a stream, creek and river. Learning to fish will do you well. If you were to go... who's to say the place you choose to live next will require time to learn such skill?” While it was wise to live where fresh water was not far, this did not mean fish within would be worth the effort or if there was fish at all.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top