Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
A domino flush to his nose,

Sunset
AW
Visionary
06-09-2022, 10:17 PM
She traced to a boulder, that stood closer into the woods then near the waves and was safe from it's drowning. She carried a bundle of flowers that was brought from the moors, held within a bundle of purple that was kept safely within her maw. They were held relatively collected, she tried to pick accordingly without much of a mess before arriving to the chosen spot ; though not an accurate place, the dragoness couldn't imagine the very thought of paying respects without her own head missing.

She made her own, in that respect. A stone that marked a grave and the flowers that she brought. A repentance — she knew what was done and what could not be erased. Her sins within the world itself and told to any that would ; she would not hide what was done. Cowards, hide the bad that was done and she laughed lightly knowing the others would not share their own, much less reveal the true greed they had. Vendrussel had that much, at the very least.

But @Kuhn was right. Though the world may hate her, she should not — especially when others still looked upon her fondly and she still held a ford to protect. She would continue, her paws moving and life goes on even if the other didn't, but always a memory. Always a knowing what could not be fixed and the reminder — here and now upon this grave of what brought her to the very wolf she was of now.

"May the Ancients bring you to reincarnation, to a blessed body." And she hung her head within a silence, knowing fully well she was not buried there, but it was all that could be done.

the staff team luvs u
06-10-2022, 04:31 AM
hope you don't mind

Her meeting with @Aarkron had been terrible. He was nothing like she expected, and, though monstrously unfair, she hated him for it. His rejection had only served to remind her how alone she was; how little she understood about the world, and how unimportant her role was in it. She stuck close to Northfall now only because she was reluctant to lose @Serenity, even as just an acquaintance.

She brooded as she walked today, following the coastline. She did nothing all day but wander, listening to the gulls, letting the salt spritz and sea breeze tangle her fur. She thought to find a pretty shell for Serenity's daughter, or perhaps a good place to brine fish, but those were mostly idle thoughts. And as the sun set, her unproductive mulling was interrupted by the slate and sterling sight of another woman.

Oksana drifted closer — her eyes squinting and hooded — studying the commemorative scene with a wooden expression. Her gaze was distant, her eyes a little glassy, and the ghost of a frown pressed into the corners of her lips. But her black mood was turned unmistakably inward. Outwardly, she had only subdued sympathy for the stranger.

She stopped a respectful distance away. She stood slack, neither alarmed nor hostile, with her wrists touching, her head slightly bowed, and her shoulders squeezed loosely together. A subconscious gesture both self-soothing and a little closed off.

After a moment of deferent silence, she murmured, “I’m sorry for your loss.”

the staff team luvs u
06-10-2022, 05:10 AM
Vendrussel did not think she needed to be forgiven by them ; whose actions showed a disharmony to the slain itself and wondered what brewed in the midst of those mountains were even their young seemed torn by their actions, and the continual bringing of more and more. Nonetheless, the best that she knew too was to remain in a repentance, and try and have ways to stop a war that did result to her own head, or any upon the ford — the hope was @Olive, @Harper and @Valeska toyed with something, one way or another with news to rejoice about. They didn't need to get along ; but no more did a bloodshed be deserved.

Maybe one day she'd be forgiven by the soul of the departed, or whether signs if she was angry at the dragon leader for what was done. She inhaled heavily, the smell of Northfall upon her nose but not someone she knew ; she craned her head behind her to see a figure who did not attack. Someone unfamiliar, who knew not of her. She laughed lightly, "you come to this beach in the midst of wars between packs, but do not know who I am? You must be new.. That's fine. I won't do anything," her blue gaze tossed over her shoulder to look at them, before looking back to the makeshift grave.

"It's not someone i'm close to. It's my only way to pay respects for what I did to them."

the staff team luvs u
06-10-2022, 09:11 AM
Oksana plastered her ears down, feeling alienated once again. The mention of war froze her to her bones. Pins and needles ran up and down her skin. This woman clearly knew more about her than vice versa. Oksana was at a major disadvantage, and as she briefly met the other wolf’s eye, she was rendered speechless.

@Ragnar never mentioned war to her — or, at least, she didn’t think so. Maybe she just didn’t remember.* She did remember that he had encouraged her to explore. Apparently, he had not meant she should explore here.

Oksana took a deep breath, clenched her jaw, and collected herself. She was on her guard now, for what little it was worth. She was no fighter. Her hackles raised, and she studied the blue-eyed sea dragon with deep suspicion.

After a beat, she followed the stranger’s gaze to the makeshift grave. She narrowed her eyes. Then, from the beach at her feet, Oksana grabbed a small purple-white stone that’d been tumbled smooth by the tides. She walked closer, suppressing the shiver running up her spine. She tried to place the stone near the other offerings, careful in case the other woman expressed her disapproval.

Retreating, quietly, Oksana said under her breath, “I hope they find peace, then.” She flicked her gaze toward the stranger. So far, the Brim had been peaceful — in that eerie no-man's-land kind of way — and she was reluctant to return to the Vikings in the mountains. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know this beach was… yours. Should I leave… or… can I stay a little longer?”

*keeping this a little vague in case it changes in an older thread!

the staff team luvs u
06-10-2022, 06:23 PM
"You are fine. We claim this beach as a hunting ground for the need of food, but mostly to keep Northfall away." She glanced at the other, a woman of northern colors. She was slender, but meek but her attitude of rather worry and guard — but Vendrussel couldn't blame her. She purposely announced who she was and explained so, to see whether the other would continue to treat in a hostility or kindness, but at the very least in an attempt to ward away. She had courage, the dragoness admitted, for despite a fear she looked to have she remained and even gave an offering.

"You are kind," a smile, and a looking at the stone she offered to the makeshift grave, "though rumors of my sins and deeds may scorn the north, I am not so cruel to ward away someone who is neither my true enemy, nor' has shown hostility." It was true the entire pack of them were on hostile terms, but in truth her anger was only directed toward the leaders, then it's real members. The family of Stormborn would always be at bad terms with the dynasty of Fellfang's — but in truth Vendrussel did not know those who turned away from the ford had joined enemy ranks, and cursed her so.

She continued looking at the grave, closing her eyes for a moment of solitude before asking, "what is your name?"

the staff team luvs u
06-11-2022, 07:31 PM
The woman had been staying more in the borders and closer to her den recently, but now she was looking for the young girl that she had opened her home to. It wasn't too hard to catch the scent and she followed it, right into the hunting grounds of Dragonford. Instantly, she grew worried and her pace quickened. Though she wasn't sure if Vendrussel would attack the young girl, her motherly instincts weren't going to let her just sit around and find out.

As she raced towards the growing scent, she finally walked to a stop, noticing the two of them talking in a much more civilized way then she expected. Instantly, she let out a breath of relief. She knew she shouldn't be here, but also wanted to keep an eye on the young girl. It wasn't like she didn't trust her to take care of herself, but she also was quickly starting to view the troubled girl as a daughter, and she was a very protective mother.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: a3e702c2-68a1-11ed-83fd-41e4c66def4c.gif]
06-11-2022, 09:15 PM
“Oh.” Oksana squinted, frowning awkwardly, not quite confident enough to meet the woman’s gaze this time. She cringed at herself for making such a blunder: trespassing in a territory of such dispute. She knew she was lucky she didn’t suffer greater consequences. She could have easily been dragged back to Ragnar, at the very least, and used to demand reparations. “I won’t come here again, then,” she promised, as a member of Northfall.

Eventually, she gathered the courage to take another side-long look at the woman. She hadn’t heard those rumors and she didn’t know what the woman had done to earn them; whether it had something to do with this grave, or not. Was the stranger really such a villain? Even so, despite her ignorance, Oksana kept her mouth shut — she didn’t want to divulge what the Northmen talked about (or didn’t). She knew better than to betray that much. “You’ve been fair to me,” she said instead, slowly and quietly, “for all that they say about you.” She didn’t know enough to say any more of the woman’s character beyond that — whether she was really evil or just misunderstood. But she could indulge in this much good faith, at least. “I’ll remember that. Thank you.”

A solemn moment passed. She felt it would be ideal to fall back soon, to leave the woman in peace with her ghosts. And not overstay her welcome. “My name’s Oksana, my lady,” she said. “What… um, may I call you?”

She was so committed to knowing the answer that she didn’t notice Serenity lingering in the backdrop.

the staff team luvs u
06-13-2022, 02:26 AM
She turned around, fully facing the other who smelled sickly with their scent. Her back was behind the grave, as the waves were gently heard within the backdrop and the dog dimming lightly. She took a deep breath, with what was there was also the mixture of the straight sea and her own wolves by the borders. It was unknown at the moment if any of the ford's dragons were by the beach, for the time being it was only the two of them, "I appreciate it. Though I will not spread the hate to those who have not done me, or Dragonford, wrongly. You are free to do as you so please." And she smiled, a bit more warmly, but tense.

Though it strained, "you will know soon enough. For that grave is to honor Ragnar's young, Ynness, a yearling that I killed," and she glanced before her shoulder to the empty grave. Stones that stood still with flowers above it — an empty thought and for others and empty regret. A remorse that could not be undone, but it was the least she could do — without throwing herself to those who did not deserve it.

And she repeated,"I am Vendrussel, the Alpha of Dragonford." She looked back, and before her eyes did the dragoness catch an unsuspected sight, another Northfall smell she surely did not except either. It was impossible to hide it, as well as her growing belly that made the sea-wolf slowly laugh. It was a voided one, there wasn't malice but more of a self-pity within it, as she gazed directly at Serenity.

"It seems you were fetched by a guardian."

Her smile was wide, eyes not looking away at the other — highly, remembering their last moments and what was spewed. The talkings of betrayal and a man ; but her jealousy was so stained within her heart, it seemed the earth-heart even joined what was once an enemy.

Though Vendrussel wasn't sure what to call her in that moment — pitiful, shameful, vengeful, dishonorable? Though these same words were thrown back at her that anything she thought was stuck at the back of her throat. Though one things for certain, there was bad blood between them that couldn't be fixed, just as it was between herself and the Stomborns. She didn't expect the other to attack her in that state.

the staff team luvs u
06-13-2022, 02:34 AM
The woman watched them both silently, making sure that her adopted daughter was safe. It seemed Oksana didn't notice her, but the Dragon leader did. Serenity had no words for the woman, no emotions in her gaze as it turned to her. She was here for her daughter and nothing more. Once she was called out, she would walk forward, eyes turning to the girl as a warm smile spread on her face. Gently, she would attempt to place her body between the two of them, trying to nuzzle the girl away, back towards home. "Come, my child, lets get you back home." She said simply, eyes not once glancing back to the older woman. 

She was thankful that the water woman said nothing to her, and she had no words to offer either. There was no way they would ever mend the bonds that Ven broke, the ones that Serenity severed when she joined the enemy. She wholeheartedly knew what she was doing, and had no remorse. She just hoped that the war could wait long enough for her to have a chance to stand up against the tyrant. For now though, she was focused on her children, and one of those now included the young girl she was here to fetch.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: a3e702c2-68a1-11ed-83fd-41e4c66def4c.gif]
scroll to top