Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
of grave importance

Evening Sunny/Clear
P
Shiroshika
Vanderfell Woods
Hunter
06-01-2022, 10:16 PM

It was time. It'd been long enough — maybe a little too long past the date of introducing himself to Ira. Alexei had been procrastinating most of the day. It wasn't like he'd heard bad things about her — Reiko had nothing but good things to say. But of someone with such high importance, he felt anxiety boil in every pit of him. He'd spent a lot of his time today in the Run, pacing back and forth by his fishing hole. The thought of meeting someone so important had his ears ringing. A headache built behind his eyes, giving a bolt of pain whenever he looked too high into the sky. Dandelions tainted his breath. He'd been chewing on them most of the day to try to get rid of the strenuous headache. If he had more time, he would have tried to visit Harper for a better solution. But, instead, the sun hung low in the sky. He had little more of the day to waste. 

Alexei sat himself not far off from the food caches. It was the only proper spot that he'd acquainted himself with since he'd been invited into Shiroshika. He'd spent most of his time filling them, seeing as it was one of the few things he was good at. With that notion, two common rudds sat down on stone. Both were a fairly good size. They'd gotten caught in his fishing trap he'd set up. He had both of them placed with some blueberries around them. He hoped it was good enough, an offering to the alpha for being so kind in letting them stay — and for letting him hunt in her Run. And without waiting much longer, he let out a single, brief call for her, the ironclad leader of Vanderfell. 

the staff team luvs u
[Image: JaAEj4v.png]
07-07-2022, 09:07 PM
sorry again for the wait :'^) quick post to get this started. reminder note this took place before ira's pregnancy showed

Even with the settling dust there was little time for the roan woman to pause and breathe. Truthfully, it was as she preferred. Idle paws did no wolf good and in her opinion showed the health of a pack. With Shiroshika settling nearby there would be even more need to busy her paws. They had to avoid overhunting while sustaining both groups. Wounds were still healing over and herb supplies must be restored before their bounty was swept with fall and winter. What more...she had already begun to feel the movement that stirred in her belly. The confirmation from Quicksilver was joyous indeed but she saw no reason to make her status known to the pack. Not yet.

Pregnancy came with new expectations and though she bore the title of High Queen she did not wish for those around her to look at her differently when she was still more than capable. Tonight the sun had already begun its cascade towards the horizon when an unfamiliar howl rang out...for her? It was not particularly odd to hear so many new sounds or scents with their allies nearby, but she had no time to meet all those that would soon be united with Vanderfell. Curiosity pecked at her paws as she moved towards the sound without another question until eventually, she reached a greyscale man adorned with reds. Only briefly did she look to the offering at his paws before her gaze was raised once more with a tilt of her head, What's this?

the staff team luvs u
07-10-2022, 03:20 PM

Anticipation stirred in the angler's lower stomach. Usually, the smell of fresh fish had his stomach grumbling for a bite. But right now, the last thing he could do was eat. He didn't even know why the nervousness wouldn't settle. Once he'd been a higher up official as well, in what was his first pack outside of his mother and father's. But not one nearly as big as Vanderfell. They had a couple of members, and truthfully, it was short term before the leader faded into the shadows. So, maybe it wasn't as official as he thought. 

The sun that hung low in the sky stretched out the shadows around him and cast a slow, golden glow. Ira's shadow was seen a little before she spoke. Alexei immediately met her eyes and stood up upon her arrival. She gazed at him, looking a little confused, but the man expected as much. She didn't know who he was — probably just the scent on his pelt that told her he was from Shiroshika. Alexei bowed his head towards her before he spoke. "It's an offering." He says, looking up at her through his dark eyelashes, "I'm Alexei, and I just joined Shiroshika. This is for... allowing me to stay within your borders along with others from Shiroshika.." Not that it'd be much longer now, since they were moving towards the Pass as a temporary home. "Sorry, it isn't more. I've been trying to contribute most of what I catch towards the caches during our stay here." The man admitted, thinking that he should have thought through this better, saved a bigger catch for her rather than the cache, but, it was too late now. 

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
07-20-2022, 10:17 PM
In closer proximity it was clear, though he may be a stranger, he was not one to Vanderfell. Words would confirm such; he was one of Reiko's newest additions to the pack. Ah, so I have heard. Briefly at least. There hadn't been much to say as a new face to both ruling women. That is very thoughtful of you. I am sure the Empress is pleased to have such a dedicated member after hard times. Idly she wondered if the man, Alexei— had been informed of such yet. It was not exactly her place to say, but the topic was rather unavoidable without a claim of their own.

A golden gaze drifted to the offering once more. Fish were...not her favorite under normal circumstances, though she would not say such to his face. Fortunately for him, no bite would be wasted as her pregnancy cravings had already begun. Fear not. Every bit helps. Many from both packs are still recovering from wounds. They will be pleased to not worry about their next meal as well. For a moment, the High Queen paused as she picked over her words, though never one to hide her honesty she continued bluntly,

If you do not mind me being forthright, why Shiroshika? There were many packs in the mountains, her own as well of course, though she was not offended in his decision. It only seemed strange with so many options to select the one with no true home recovering from strife. It promised no easy life, nor safety. He had entered another wolf's battle.

the staff team luvs u
07-27-2022, 12:05 AM

The angler made sure that his posture was held straight and his attention was all on her. His mind always had a way of wandering off into the unknown. It'd be rude for one of those times to be now. Somewhere in the back of his head, he could feel his mother swatting at him to keep his manners intact. Ira confirmed Reiko had already spoken to her about his arrival and he smiled warmly, and it was a bit forced. It wasn't something he felt forced to do rather, he didn't want to seem rude. Her compliment made his face heat. "It's the least I can do. I wish there was more I could help with." 
This was true. He could see exhaustion in their leader's eyes and he didn't completely know why he felt safe, but they shared the same burden. A deep sadness that neither of them could shake — and for that, he wanted to help as much as he could, to do whatever to make their lives easier after what they'd been through. To be needed and fit into a home he could help build. 

She reassured him about his cache tributes. Alexei let out a breath that he didn't know he'd been holding. At least he knew he was helping both packs the best he could. The man glanced back to the cache, knowing he probably wouldn't be able to find sleep tonight, the restlessness in his bones after an event like this. He'd be able to drag up more fish from the river before he attempted to sleep. 

The angler's attention was brought back to Ira, who asked him a candid question. 'Why Shiroshika?' He thought of the time he'd met her in the Run, warning him that those were Vanderfell hunting grounds, and how nice she'd been to him. "I was looking for a home." He divulged, sounding somewhat nostalgic, as if caught in a memory, "I'd been alone for a long time, traveling. And I woke up here with no one, nothing." 
He probably sounded pathetic, joining the first pack that reached out to him, but it felt right. "It felt right." He finished, his violet eyes meeting her golden gaze. Then he quickly back peddled, "Not that Vanderfell isn't beautiful or the right home for some — I just. Reiko was nice, and she felt like a friend, only after a few minutes of talking." He further explained, probably rambling for no reason. He had a bad habit of that too. 

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-08-2022, 03:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2022, 03:53 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
In mannerism alone Alexi appeared almost shy, though it was clear to a degree he was rather extroverted. Perhaps he struggled to accept praise or most likely just found her presence intimidating. It wouldn’t be the first time. The roan queen would wait to hear his reasoning for settling, not at all prepared to judge or berate him for choosing another. Honestly, hearing the way he spoke about his decision, he seemed to fit well beneath the Empress. 

Reiko was still rather new to leading and her tactics were by far softer than her own, but just as she had warned, the snowy empress had learned the hard way not all matters could be dealt with so delicately. The wolves beneath her were not all soft, but they were less tight and expectant to follow strict rules or outlines. Vanderfell was rather soft when compared to the judgement she had faced growing up, but she still held true to the values that had been forced upon her.

Not all were so willing to follow that path, rather or not he knew of them while making his decision. I take no issue with your decision. Your home is your own, and you should go where your heart belongs. Prisoners did not make for strong bonds. Ira would rather stay small or much more traditional as a family unit than force others to bow to her whim unless they deserved such treatment.

I merely was curious about you. Reiko is known to quickly sway the souls about her, or so I’ve seen. I suppose she has done the same to me. Even though she felt like a mentor at times to the snowy woman, Reiko was about as close to friendship as Ira usually encroached. Quicksilver included, though he too now belonged to Shiroshika.

the staff team luvs u
08-26-2022, 12:33 PM

A sigh of relief was released, his chest letting the air he'd been holding in. There was a bit of worry that she would find his answer not suitable enough or think him weak for following his heart. But it seemed the opposite with Ira. She seemed to not mind that he'd followed his heart. The respect for her grew within his own mind. "Thank you, Queen Ira." 
His voice was grateful as he dipped his head as a sign of respect, almost allowing his full body to go into a bow — but he felt that may be too much. 

A warm heat fell over his face and he could feel a prickle of tingling in his paws when she mentioned she was curious about him. Even though he'd known that Reiko had mentioned his presence, the mere thought of someone actually thinking about him felt foreign. It wasn't as if he enjoyed being under the radar, but it'd been so long since he'd even been on anyone's radar but his own. "She has that way about her." 
There truly was something about her that made him feel safe, and like he'd known her for more than just a few weeks. She was like an old friend, a lighthouse when you're feeling as if just jumping ship would be better. "Have you known her long?" He asked, a tilt of his head accompanying his words. With little knowledge of the world around him, he clung to the minor details that others would give him. 

@Ira
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-28-2022, 09:05 AM
You need not thank me. I've done not to be humbled. This was more or less her job after all, and as a member of an allied pack, it would only do her good to familiarize herself with the members that came her way and why they stayed within Shiroshika's ranks. It seemed he felt similarly though and there had been nothing else behind the curtain to sway his mind in joining. I've known her for a time. Almost as long as she had lived here if she were to be honest. Though it was not until moons later that they became more acquainted.

When I had first settled here she passed through these woods in search of her children. I would not see her again until she had accumulated followers of her own and began to settle in the northern peaks. Since then we have met a handful of times. More often than not it was Reiko who sought her out, if not Quicksilver, for guidance or aid, but she would not mention such. It did not exactly paint his new leader in a positive light and there was no need to fill his head with doubts. Now that she thought about it, perhaps she had been rather generous to the new Empress. It was rare for her to go out of her way for another pack's well-being so often, but she knew in due time Shiroshika would pay back what had been given.

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2022, 06:20 PM

Alexei was still in awe of her, but tried not to show it in his face. She was so different from any stories he'd heard. Of course, not stories about her, but pack wolves in general, with hierarchies that had kings and queens. In his youth, he'd been told so many bad things about them. His mother and father being from the same pack. They both shared to him their experiences from birth, how awful it'd been. They'd created a home just for him and his siblings, along with a few others. A communal pack with little titles, only ones such as 'doctor', 'hunter', 'warrior', 'archivist', etc. Though, they encouraged him to go with his heart, no matter what, even if he found a home in someone's ranks. They'd always been easy-going and wanted better for their children, to go out and live their lives, unlike how they'd been raised. 

Ira spoke, allowing him a glimpse into the past of her and Reiko's friendship, how it'd started and where. Alexei wondered how many children Reiko had and took note to ask of her family the next time they met up. "I see." 
He hummed out. "She is lucky to have such a good ally like yourself." He says, thankful for their kinship in the growing months. Otherwise, he wouldn't have had a home to settle into. "Is there anything more I can do to assist in our time staying with you?" His voice is soft. He didn't want to appear a free-loader, so in his time here, he'd offer all the help he could give.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
10-15-2022, 09:13 AM
Alexei seemed to let her words sink in as he spoke freely of his thoughts. She would not voice it herself, but she agreed with his statement. In many ways, Reiko had much to learn, fortunately, there was potential for her to be a great leader and ally. Enough so she was willing to guide her through the early stages. Allies were better than the alternative anyhow, and the world had its way to make more than enough enemies.

It was ironic that he would ask for her council as well, as opposed to seeking out his own leadership. True it was her land that had been offered, but she trusted Reiko enough to make the right decisions while under her roof. You pride yourself in hunting, yes? He had made the effort to deliver a gift so it was a simple assumption. Embrace your strengths. There are many who would appreciate a fresh meal through hard times. Not to mention, with so many mouths to feed, another hunter would never do them wrong.

Shiroshika has few to defend and care for them. See to it that changes. I am certain you will make the right decisions.

the staff team luvs u
10-16-2022, 04:57 PM

The fisherman straightened under her gaze, keeping his eyes mostly on her, but not enough to consider it 'staring', rather than just paying attention to her. When she spoke, he gave a nod. He did pride himself with hunting. Well, more so fishing. It wasn't as plentiful as hunting — smaller, leaner meals, but it seemed to do the trick for hungry bellies. "Yes, ma'am. Thank you." Alexei bowed his head a little, thanking her for the advice she'd given. 

He wasn't quite expecting what she said next. It made his gaze return to hers, holding back a shudder. He wasn't a great fighter. Not the worst, but not the best. When the crusaders came, he fought in the war, keeping his land — but that was when push came to shove... And he knew in the back of his mind that it didn't matter if it came again. He'd do it for Shiroshika. "I will, Queen Ira." The man stated with a curt nod, before giving another quick bow. "Thank you for your time. I'll leave you to enjoy your day." He gathered himself, shifting on his paws and heading off, ears tilted backwards in case she uttered another word — he'd stop and heed her.

the staff team luvs u
10-17-2022, 07:08 AM
It was a pleasure, Alexei. The words were spoken with a half nod of her own before he stood to leave. The High Queen would sit and watch only a moment longer before gathering herself along with the fish she had been gifted and turned to return to the many tasks that must be attended to. One pack was enough to fill her plate, let alone two.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top