Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
If I quit calling you my lover Move on

Sunset Snow
P
Adventurer
05-25-2022, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2022, 02:42 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
For @Thraximundar, tagging also @Antares since he wouldn't be far but doesn't have to join! Note to me, misc skill is hoarder.

After gathering her stuff at the dens, the little stone Quicksilver had given her wrapped in the blue fabric thing the gentle giant had helped her get from the snow-peaked mountains. The fabric wrapped around the stone like some bag had made carrying them both easy, a happy accident really as she wandered the mountains for anything else that might be necessary to take back that hadn't already been done by the earlier scouts.

So far... nothing. Their herbs and food caches were either raided by pillagers, taken back to Skelmir's Pass, and the ones left behind were already rotting.

From one cache to the next she'd carry her little makeshift bag gently by the mouth, peeking into each hole only to leave empty-handed. One, in particular, caused her nose to wrinkle at the stench radiating from it. Rotten food that was no longer frozen to the climate of winter, but now spring's warmer weather thawed the meat and left it in a pile of discoloured mush.

It made her belly sick to the point she had to drop the parcel outside of the cache and vomit what little she had left in her stomach. Even without this pregnancy sickness, the smell could have gotten to anyone.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
Hunter
05-25-2022, 04:03 PM
One man's trash was another man's treasure...

For Thrax especially this was true. Carrion was something inside of a polar bear's diet and the particularly odorous stench attracted him from many miles away. Easy pickings that lead him into a beautiful mountain range that he had yet to visit. He knew of it however and knew rumor of a pack that lived there but had never gotten around to visit before the incident with the walrus occurred.

Unfortunately, it seemed that there was no pack here. Whether that was due to some tragic incident or due to rumors being false... He had no way to know. It made him immensely curious though....

You know what else made him curious? That food smell.

Fearing nothing, he limped into the territory and towards the old caches and found the jackpot! He began to gorge himself on rotted meat and other delicacies when he heard a noise. Stopping he pulled his head up to find a very slight wolf. Carrying a bundle.

"Oh, pardon my intrusion, madame. I thought this place was vacated and otherwise abandoned! If you were going to eat this I will gladly replace the meat that I've taken!" Oh, how embarrassing! He hadn't even smelled her! He was so focused on the carrion that she'd slipped past him.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: deve50g-63ea11b5-eb48-4527-800d-5e485a56...OPfa-MLat4]
Adventurer
05-25-2022, 04:20 PM
Taking a moment after purging what was left in her belly, a few breaths to steady her feet, thoughts and emotions and looked down at the mess she made. She must stink now of sick and before meeting back with Antares perhaps a quick brush-up and touch up was an order.

Just as she was about to begin the grooming ritual of cleaning up her paws and mouth - and later she would chew on some herbs for that breath of hers now - someone approached. A deep voice that surely must have come from a great giant - and a great giant he was.

As he spoke she looked him up and down. Massive. Greater than anything she had ever seen, prey and predator alike. But he sounded friendly and was only interested in the rotten food that was left behind. A wonderful surprise really. “Oh — um, please, feel free.” It took a while for an answer to come as she was too awe-struck by his sheer size. His paws alone were twice the size of her head! And the scars on his face... looked very much like hers.

“No need to replace what you ear sir. This place is in fact abandoned... I was only returning to gather some things.” Through her concern at his size, she'd smile away the anxiety in hopes of not insulting him as she had done with the recent felines in Skelmir's Pass. “It would be nice if the food didn't go to waste.”

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
05-26-2022, 09:35 PM
 He was not surprised at her surprise in seeing him. She was a very small wolf and he? Well, he was massive and battle-scarred. His whole bodice spoke of a troubled life and he would never judge anyone for judging him. Although, the lapse in conversation allowed him to study the small she-wolf. She smelled… sick. Off. And not just because of the puddle of yuck in front of her. He felt sorry for the young one… but in his experience… he could tell what sort of “ailment” this was. Of course, he would not remark on it lest she want to talk about it, not when he’d just met her. That would be quite rude in his opinion.

”Thank-you, madame! You are most kind.” The polar bear gave a gracious bow of his head before turning to –what was left of—the caches. He easily scooped the foot over to him like it was absolutely no effort at all. ”I assume that this is your old home, then?” He said conversationally while he worked. ”Moving to greener pastures?” A figure of speech, really. A wolf as pale as himself would probably find such snowy environs the best to live in.

Once he’d scooped what he could in front of him, the old bear sat down on his ample bum in front of the woman. A friendly grin broke the storminess of his complexion as it was clear he would love nothing more than a good chat. He absolutely loved hearing about the lives of wolves and what was going on in the neighborhood. Especially since he’d largely been deprived of it the past few months. He looked at her gathered items, clearly curious about the secrets they held.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-27-2022, 12:28 AM
The man said his appreciation and began to gather whatever meat was left in the caches with ease. What could have taken a wolf minutes to dig through and drag out, he had done in one smooth movement - she was awestruck. And somewhat frightened at this realization. If Kuhn was able to dispatch of two warriors, this bear must be capable of worse... The thought made her feet move on their own, wishing to make some distance between them if not already wander away to let him eat and not be in the way.

Then he spoke a question, innocently curious as to why they had left their food to rot despite it being an easy meal for him to not question. The way he sat down with a mighty thump, how lazy in his strength he looked - almost comfortable honestly. The way he smiled and casually spoke, it was so easy to forget that initial fear and lingering tickle that told her to leave.

He reminded her of a father if she were honest. So tall, strong and gentle. How much she missed hers.

“Yes, it is.” Even if she would not sit with him just yet, she stood at a comfortable distance with a relaxed posture. “Sadly yes, this was a magnificent home but we cannot stay any longer. It will be missed. Do you plan on staying here?”

the staff team luvs u
06-03-2022, 06:24 PM
 The slight wolf stood a safe distance away. This, he could not blame her for, he was large and intimidating... and bears were usually not known for their kindness towards wolves. So, he took no offense towards her caution and hoped that in time she could come to trust him. Time was the ultimate remedy to many situations.

"A shame that is to hear... but I hope your new home will be twice as prosperous and thrice as beautiful." He said, hoping that the words would speak it into existence. Everyone deserved a beautiful home and a place to stay. He wondered if she'd be willing to share why they had to leave. The place looked perfect, untouched in its beauty.

"Oh no, my dear," He said with a small chuckle, shaking his head. "I tend not to settle anywhere for too long. I have a wanderlust in my paws and a thirst for information that can't be quelled by dwelling in a single location for too long." Hence his reason for leaving Evenrise. He couldn't stay in one place; he couldn't be tied down lest he get too comfortable and stop moving. It would take a heck of a group to make him stop his lazy travels. "How else would I learn more about all of the interesting wolf packs here? With all of the sudden appearances I've found myself quite fascinated by all of them! If you'll excuse my saying." He didn't want to offend her with his information for all of the wolves and various packs. "Speaking of, you mentioned 'we'. Would you mind expounding on your pack, miss? Only if you'd like, of course." No pressure, he never wanted to force information out of anyone if they didn't feel comfortable giving it.

the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
06-05-2022, 09:14 PM
“Thank you, I am hopeful that we will.” With a little bow of her head, she'd offer her thanks with a long respectful nod. Hopefully, they could return someday if they wished to, but for now... it would have to return to nature or be used by someone else in need should they find the place suitable for their needs.

After all, wolves only borrowed lands to call their homes. It would never truly be theirs as nature and time always had their own intentions with them one way or another. Some were just luckier than others and could remain in one place for a longer period of time. While others came and went like the seasons.

“Mm.” Nodding along to his claim of knowledge, he did exude that aura of wisdom. Even she couldn't be blind to it. “Travelling tends to make one wise to different customs and knowledge. It is a difficult life, despite the rewards.” One that she could respect. After having a while of travelling herself, it was far too dangerous for wolves like herself and her children. The safety of a sedentary life was simply too good to pass up once they could finally settle somewhere safe.

Large cerulean eyes peered up at the massive pale bear as he questioned her choice of words, picking through them with ease to figure out she hailed from a pack. “I do not mind at all. However, due to recent circumstances what I see in our pack might differ from what others see us be.” She started with a long sigh to soothe her nerves. Feeling that all too familiar rise in the anxiety put pressure deep into her chest.

“It has been difficult this past year, but we still strive for peace. Sadly I can no longer overlook trouble lurking nearby as it always seems to come through our borders one way or another, but we do not seek it. Shiroshika is a haven for those seeking refuge both temporary and permanent, and I will continue to strive for such even as we move.”

the staff team luvs u
06-09-2022, 09:50 PM
 Hmm... traveling... difficult... he could admit that he tended to have less danger than a lot of other creatures. No one in their right mind would dare bother a polar bear bull, even an old one. He'd actually never even held a sedentary life, save for his brief stay with Evenrise. Perhaps he could grow to like it but for now, he was happy to be on the road with the wind and snow at his back.

Then they got to the nitty-gritty. She divulged him and with her little disclaimer, he gave her a sympathetic, "Ah..." Things must have been especially difficult. He couldn't see the small woman as being anything other than kind or timid. He was usually a decent judge of character --in his opinion, anyway-- and couldn't imagine her to have done anything bad.

"I am saddened to hear that, miss. Pardon my saying, but you seem like the sort to want to avoid trouble. Although trouble oftentimes comes to find us." He said, closing his eyes and clearly thinking on things that had happened in his own life and that of others that he knew. He scratched at his stomach with one of his massive paws, clearly contemplative. "Ah, such is the unfortunate way of life." Here he opened his eyes, trying to give her a reassuring smile. "Although after the blizzard comes sunshine, does it not? No matter how long the storms may have lasted. And, without the storms we never really truly appreciate the good weather when it is around." A bit of hopefulness to help ease her mind, he hoped.

He could never imagine what sort of trouble would have befallen her and her pack. Any number of things could have done it... but he was not so cruel as to make her open those old scars. He would let it be.

"Shiroshika... if I see anyone searching for a haven then I'll be sure to send them your way. Only after you are properly settled, of course." He hoped that she liked the bit of goodwill. "I know your pack's name now, but not yours, my dear lady," He said with a chuckle, easily segwaying into introductions. "I am called Thraximundar, or simply Thrax, if you prefer."

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-10-2022, 07:54 PM
The bear was so relaxed. He was the picture of strength, comfort and composure. It was hard not to feel the same sense of at ease with him just sitting there, scratching that well-fed belly of his and over all placid state. The little woman had to keep reminding herself not to get too comfortable, to keep on her toes just in case this was all some kind of facade... but sincerely, it didn't feel like he would turn. Not without a reason to.

The bear apologized, and she offered a solemn bow of her head in appreciation to his thoughts. “It does seem that way.” A part of her was defeated at that realization, but still, there was a part of her who refused to give up. To give up the position as Empress for the sake of those who looked to her for guidance; and soon, safety as well in a new land away from the trouble they had been plagued with. As for the quote he said in regards to blizzards.

“You are right. One of our favoured places here has everblooming trees. I take inspiration from them. No matter the weather, no matter the biting cold, they bloom regardless.” Something she will miss as well in this place. Tsukiishi had been nothing but beautiful and good to them, it was unfortunate that the world outside of these mountains weren't as kind.

The bear even offered to guide individuals their way should they meet certain requirements. “You have my deepest gratitude...” A pause as he gave his long name and the sudden urge to try and mimic him rose. “Th — Thraaaa — Tramund —” No not that either... “Thra-i—” There was something about the organization of the name that made her tongue-tied and eventually as she fumbled over his name softly, repeating the steps over and over until it was too far gone and perhaps considered rude now. “Thrax.” Lifting her head and eyes to meet his again, she gave him a shy smile. “I am Reiko Izuka... Empress of Shiroshika. If you ever find yourself in our vicinity, do not be shy. I am certain many of us would love to meet you.”

the staff team luvs u
06-11-2022, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2022, 08:42 PM by Thraximundar. Edited 1 time in total.)
 Everblooming trees? While also providing inspiration, he was certain that they must be lovely. It must have been a great tragedy that pulled them away from this place. "Oftentimes nature is all the inspiration we need..." He hummed quietly, thoughtfully.

He would give a deep nod to the woman, acknowledging her thanks in a polite manner. Then, when she tried to pronounce his name, he smiled... and then tried to stifle his amused laughter. He knew his name was difficult but she gave it a valiant effort. "An absolute pleasure to meet you, Reiko. I will be sure to give you a visit whenever I am near. I've got your scent and can smell for miles despite the oldness of my nose." Here he gave a laugh at his own expense. He told the truth though and despite that he sometimes played down his abilities, he was a very adept tracker. "Hopefully I don't bore any of your packmates with my prattling!"

He reached down then, and began to stuff himself with carrion. Fully intending to find the other Shiroshikans and have a pleasant visit. Maybe he could even tell a few stories to those interested.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-12-2022, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2022, 02:44 PM by Reiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
At first she found him frightening to look at. Large, imposing, riddled in scars. He even seemed to be more dangerous than Kuhn ever could be - and yet here he was. Pleasant. Calm... she couldn't image how he could have gotten such horrific wounds... but then again... she thought to her own face.

Perhaps he too felt pushed at some point to defend himself. Against his beliefs and moral code. Suddenly she felt terrible judging him off on appearances at first.

The bear began to occupy himself with the food again, and once more she was pleased to see it not go to waste. “Nonsense. I am certain they will be as delighted as I have been.” Hopefully he could find them once more whenever they moved from Vanderfell's side.

Not wanting to take away from his meal, she'd give him a curt bow. “Until then sir Thrax.” With a final smile, she'd turn to return at Antares' side and prepare for the journey back to the pass. Hopefully leaving this familiar ghost town wouldn't be so difficult... their hearts wished to remain in these mountains that had their home in this strange new world, but it was now a cage.

It was time for them to break free and fly to a new roost.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top