Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
i know you

Late Evening Fog
AW
05-23-2022, 05:41 AM
please let @Madmortigan reply first if anyone wants to hop in :)

Rising from the dusk and lilac flowers, a woman of dark blue-gray appearance came. The rising moonlight giving her crimped and curly coat an ethereal and ghost-like glow. For a moment she stood, yellow eyes studying the beautiful misty wood of flowers in bloom.

How beautiful of a dream.

Without giving much thought to it, the woman gave into a strange and patternless dance. Stepping through the flowers like a spirit, twirling and swaying about. Her slightly curled hair bouncing with every pawstep.

What a strange yet beautiful dream.

She studied the dream as she danced, wondering it’s meaning. Why was she so lucid in this dream? Catherine couldn’t remember falling asleep. Though she was still wrapped in a joyful and playful warmth, as if curled asleep in a cozy bed.

Dancing along her dream, unaware of it’s reality or meaning.

Letting the fantasy of sleep take her, she thought best not to think on it too hard. Instead, she began to hum a tune, one that followed along her little dance.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: ipnic4C.png]
The Sleeping Lily
Formation
05-24-2022, 12:46 PM
 He often travels at night.

Checking Labyrinthian's borders and renewing the scent markers before venturing out, Madmortigan steals away into the late evening dim.

He has a fondness for the Grove. Like a southern bell donned and dressed for the ball, the flowers wave, twirling in the twilight breeze. They are a million violet dancers, the shade not far from his own purple-hued gaze. 

It is then that he spots another waltzing with the flowers. He stares, watching her for a while. “You move beautifully.”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: unknown.png]
— thank you hanna! <3
05-26-2022, 02:28 PM
 How long had he been watching her? Or perhaps her dream conjured him up just then, a pale visage cloaked in a deep and resonating ebony. She was charmed.

The woman did her best to perform a curtsy in a body she was not yet used to. "You may join me if you wish." The she-wolf offered, her tail flicking slightly in anticipation to his response.
 Yet she should know his response, being this a dream and all. Unless she was losing grip, the lucidity of such dream slipping threw her fingers. Long spindly fingers that as the dream further deepened, the more she forgot. Will she even remember who she is when she wakes up?

the staff team luvs u
The Sleeping Lily
Formation
06-05-2022, 04:05 PM
 “I think I would prefer to watch.” Madmortigan says with a tired, even vulnerable smile. It isn't a lack of desire but a touch of insecurity.

The Harbinger is careful in the way he chooses to learn new things, often putting up safety nets to save his pride should he stumble. The night-drenched meadow holds no such precaution, just a violet lady with a rhythm to her step.

“I am Madmortigan, Harbinger of the Labyrinthian order. Who are you, miss?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
06-05-2022, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2022, 07:39 PM by Catherine.)
 Her head raised back a little, giving an exaggerated look of surprise. She smiled, warm and friendly, a tiny giggle coming from her. "My, what a name and title. You sound very important." There was no hint of sarcasm or malintent in her voice, only genuine surprise to hear such a strange and new name.

The woman, curly hair and all, would approach closer to the man. Head leaning slightly to the side as she grew near, as if studying him like the night owl that she was. She did not seem even the least bit cautious, only curious. How could one be afraid when in such a wonderful dream? Such interesting characters and beautiful flowery forests only furthering the idea.

"Catherine, sir. Though you may call me Cat if you so wish." It wasn't until long after she spoke did she realize the weirdness that a figment of her own imagination would ask for her name. She chose to ignore it for now, smiling warm and welcoming, pretending not be distracted by thought.

the staff team luvs u
The Sleeping Lily
06-13-2022, 12:55 PM
 She comes closer and Madmortigan does not protest, looking down to admire the velvet plum of her fur off-set by a puckish, golden gaze.

“I think Catherine suits you better.” He speaks, refusing to allow such a divine creation to shorten her name to that of an unworthy creature.

“How long ago did you wake?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
06-14-2022, 03:37 AM
 She smiles, clearly pleased that someone would prefer to call her by her full name. Yet of course it would make sense that she would think up a handsome young man who calls her what she wants to be called. For it is merely herself speaking to herself.

Catherine let out a baffled giggle. "Wake up? Ha! I just fell asleep!" Such a silly question, yet it gave her an uneasy feeling in her stomach. What if this was her mind's way of telling her to wake up. Was she stuck? How long had she really been asleep? The woman secretly prayed she didn't have any prior arrangements in case she was accidentally sleeping in.

the staff team luvs u
The Sleeping Lily
06-24-2022, 04:03 PM
 He took up the task of teacher. 

“Catherine, you are very much awake.” Madmortigan murmured, his voice gentle as he pressed on. “Many wake here, I've found. I was brought back to life and rose here with my sister months ago.”

He wondered, briefly, what she'd left behind and if she'd been ready to go. From her blithe denial he suspected the answer to that was a firm and deliberate no.

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
06-25-2022, 02:26 AM
"Very Much Awake"
"Brought back to life"

The woman scoffed once more with a playful, though now uneasy laugh. "I've never seen a place like this before, plus-" With the turn of her head she gestured to herself once more. "I'm a puppy dog!" For being a full grown woman in her previous life, Catherine would always remain to be goofy and childish at heart.

Yet the vividness of the dream would not allow her to completely push the idea from her mind. And thus the feeling of unease rose further up into her stomach, to which it made her feel sick with worry. Her calm and easy life, normal and in every way human, did not allow for things like this to happen. No, it just wasn't true. No, this was her mind playing tricks on her. That alone was the only explanation.

the staff team luvs u
The Sleeping Lily
07-22-2022, 01:40 PM
 “A wolf.” Madmortigan offered by way of clarification. 

He did not know what or who Catherine was before she woke, but he'd been graced by the Wolf to find her. Guided by his own divinity, he kept his gaze level on the plum-colored creature, all murmurs and merlot. Still, he could do little for a woman would not believe.

The Harbinger turned, moving towards the edge of the moonstruck meadow, ready to leave her to her lonely waltz. “Well, Catherine. If you find that you do not wake up from this dream, and you're in need of a safe place to figure out what it means to be reborn, come find Labyrinthian.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
08-08-2022, 06:43 PM

The look on her face was curious, though a bit surprised. His readied and poised answer, lacking any and all hesitation. A wolf? All she had ever seen of wolves were pelts and portraits and much she heard was of the terror they brought farmers. She didn't feel like a wolf, though her comparison was lacking. Catherine didn't know what being anything other than human felt like.

The woman called after the mysterious man before he could officially leave the meadow. "And where will I find this 'Labyrinthian'? Is it near here?" Her sense of direction was quite poor, not to mention the lack of roads or signs.

Sorry for the long wait! Covid sucks!

the staff team luvs u
The Sleeping Lily
08-29-2022, 01:33 PM
 He paused, looking back, the fireflies blinking like so many windswept candles. 

“We are to the South, housed within a safe haven of stones and roots.” With one last incline of his head, Madmortigan departed.

exit Mad!

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
scroll to top