Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Make it a hit

P
Hunter
05-18-2022, 01:18 AM
After leaving, or rather being kicked out, of Dragonford, the woman took her child, @Gaia and moved north, not really knowing where she was going. Go to Elysium she was told, but never was really told where the hell this place was. Not that Serenity really cared. If they were allied with Dragonford, then they likely would have similar views and the earthen woman certainly didn't trust anyone right now. She had put her trust in Vendrussel and look how far that got her. She was just glad she hadn't had to deal with @Jun.

She had been walking with Kailani carried in her mouth, letting the little one sleep when she wanted but now it was time to find food. Finding a small, hidden away area, the woman would tuck the child into the snow. "Stay here, mama will be right back." Her voice was stern but loving before she would finally turn to go hunt. 

Rushing out into the open, she would lower herself to the ground, she began to hunt, searching for something that she could fight on her own. There wasn't really anything that was easy that would fill both her and her daughter. So, she went after a goat, one that she thought she would be able to get the jump on. It was simple for her to get the drop on the creature, but she wasn't expecting it to turn around and slam its large horns into her, hitting her square in the shoulder. She yelped out but continued forward, moving to the side as she launched herself forward to grab its neck. She felt the large round horns slam into her shoulder a few times before it finally fell, leaving her panting as she winced slightly, moving her front right leg. It wasn't broken but it certainly was bruised.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: a3e702c2-68a1-11ed-83fd-41e4c66def4c.gif]
Adventurer
05-18-2022, 02:07 AM
The Earth surrounded him in the tundra. It gobbled him up, turned him, and molded him into something new. Yet the Tundra was not a place for the Earth to survive, so why did it fill his nose? He followed it, nonchalantly, curious about its familiarity about it. He knew that smell. He just needed a little more to confirm his suspicions. 

Sand. Salt water. No, it couldn't be. 

Residue of soil. No. No. Surely she hadn't ended up here, out of all places. 

It was her. 

Jun perked, shoulders steady, quiet. He made his footsteps freeze in place, pointing like a hound. He was going to stay that way until he heard the harsh yelp echo in the distance. He knew that voice from anywhere, could hear it from any distance, and she knew he would come running. 

And so he did.

Serenity lay with a dying goat upon the ground, her own frazzle belligerent upon her features; perhaps aghast of such a kill, or rather an injury. Jun would sprint over to her, not partaking in a proper introduction. Instead, he'd look down at her figure, eyeing it carefully— examining. He needed to know if she had been hurt. He couldn't explain why— but he needed to know. "What hurts?" he'd inquire, looking into her eyes for a consult. Jun needed to know.

Needed to.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-18-2022, 07:30 PM
She was panting and tired from taking down the prey, her eyes instantly turning towards where she had placed Kailani down. A sigh of relief when she saw the girl was still there, safe and sound. However, as she was watching her daughter, she didn't notice the hibiscus and sea salt that was rushing towards her until he was right in front of her, asking here where she was hurt. 

Startled, the woman would turn and snarl at him, her hackles raising slightly as she did so. She was quick to figure out who it was though, and sighed, relaxing herself. It would be obvious that she was no longer apart of the Ford, but she hoped that Ven hadn't going around telling everyone her business. "Damn it Jun, warning next time." She ignored his question, though she limped slightly as she moved, favoring her right shoulder. 

"Excuse me" She would try to push past him enough to get towards the head of the creature she killed. If he let her, she would grab the horns and begin trying to drag it over to where her current makeshift den was.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Content Warning
05-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Language and minor sexuality
Serenity's distaste for his arrival was clear, and he would roll his eyes in response. "Warning? Warning, Serenity? Please," Jun would scoff, taking note of the way she limped on her leg. If she let him, he'd put her head to her side as a brace.

She would try to push past him, but he only kept up with her. He'd step on the head of the goat, leaning into her face with narrowed eyes. He'd study her closely, checking her face; nosebridge, eyes, temples, ears, all of it. Her scent melted with his, intoxicating him. "You're still just as beautiful as I met you." He'd coo, almost forgetting exactly why he sought her out. He'd shake his head from those thoughts, a darker expression taking over.

"Were you planning on telling me you got booted from the Ford?" he'd inquire, a more rhetorical question posed. "—supposedly pregnant with our pups? Hm? Did that cross your mind at all that you should tell me instead of having to have a horribly awkward conversation with @Vendrussel about how we fucked?" Jun would groan, getting chills from the memory. 

"It was like telling my mother I lost my virginity. It was miserable, miserable!" Jun hadn't even noticed @Gaia at her side, and his eyes widened, back up from the goat. "Oh Gods- is she yours, too? Holy shit, what God did I piss off?"

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-18-2022, 08:46 PM
She noticed that even as she walked past him and ignored his advance to help her, he still was glued to her side. This man was determined, she'd give him that, if not annoying. Still, she couldn't help but notice that whenever he was around, she wasn't mad anymore and every time he tried to help her, it took all of her willpower to not jump into him, even as she looked up at him with annoyance as he stopped her from dragging the kill away.

His words about her beauty made her freeze for a moment, her features softening before they instantly hardened again, the conversation switching quickly. As he asked about getting kicked out, she looked away from him, only muttering softly "We'll it was my own choice...." Sort of, but she wasn't going to blame Ven entirely. As he spoke about how awkward it was, the woman would have to stifle a laugh before raising her head up to look at him again. "She asked you about that night, well that's rude." 

At his outburst upon seeing Kailani though, she found herself standing protectively in front of the girl, giving him a plain warning glare though trusting him enough to not snarl at him. "Calm your tits and stop yelling. Yes, she is mine, I adopted her back when I was in the Ford, a lone dog pup that Ven found. She allowed me to keep her even as I left. As for you." She would sit herself down, using a single paw to try and poke into his chest. "You made it very clear that you didn't want children or a mate, so there was no reason to come find you. I enjoyed our time together..." She paused for a moment as she remembered how it felt to snuggle into him, to feel all of her problems leave for the night. Quickly though, she would recover herself, "but it's against what I believe to alter a woman's body." She hoped he wouldn't say anything about her falling into her thoughts. 

She liked him, she really did, but he had made his intentions clear to her and she wasn't going to try to leap over those clear lines only to find herself abandoned for trying too hard. In a perfect world, these pups, along with Kailani, would have a warm home with a loving mother and father and Serenity would have someone to protect and who could protect her. But this wasn't a perfect dream world, it was a cruel reality.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-18-2022, 09:51 PM
Jun would sigh as she uttered the quiet words of them being her choice whether or not to keep. "I know. I know it's your choice I just—" Jun took a deep breath, "I would've liked to know before it had to come from Vendrussel's virgin-mug." Jun relaxed, the heat of his words began to dial back.

Serenity's devotion went further than he thought as she stood protectively over the pup. He took a step back, his eyes transferring from her, to the child, then back to her once more. It was her choice, he'd remind himself as she poked his chest with her paw. He would sigh, deep and hard, "You're right," he'd confess. Jun didn't want children, not at this point in his life. He vouched for the Ford and intended on staying. 

"I pledged my life to the Ford, Serenity." He'd look to her, sweet chocolate eyes looking back, "With the impeding war, Ven needs as many as she can get." Jun's face was close to hers. As he spoke, he'd get close enough to her as if he were going to kiss her, but only to pull back each time. If the circumstances were different, he would've stayed with her. He would've built her a home out of nothing, a warm nest, a valley of plentiful food, and himself to keep her safe. However, his loyalties lied elsewhere. They lied with Vendrussel, and the Ford.

"I wish it were different, Serenity, I do." His nose near her own, "—but if it means anything, I will fight for the both of us in this war." His words rang honest and true, despite what she thought of them. He needed her to know that he cared. She was going through something, and he was intending for her to do it alone. 

"I'm sorry if it's not the answer you wanted."

the staff team luvs u
05-18-2022, 10:05 PM
She knew it was a stupid childish fantasy to want what she did, so she stayed quiet. Even as he spoke about the ford, the rejection broke her heart. She turned her face away from him as he spoke, staring down at the kill she had gotten. Her breath hitched as he moved closer, wanting to beg him to stay. She wanted to plead her case, to tell him that she was more important than the pack, to lash out, to hit him, anything to show him that she cared. But instead, she sat there quietly, eyes burning as they refused to leave the speck of fur she was focused on. 

It wasn't until he spoke of fighting for her in the war that she broke from her trance, quickly standing up as she looked up at him, her breath hitching slightly at their closeness. "You're fighting for yourself. You're fighting for Vendrussel. You're fighting for the Ford. I am the only one that's fighting for myself. I'm fighting to feed myself and my children. I'm fighting to protect them even if it means my own life. I'm the one putting myself in the dangerous situations for these children. I took down the ram this time, but what's next? You were what came running to me, but what happens if its a cougar next time? I will be here, alone, fighting it. Perhaps you and Ven can make a warm and welcoming home together." 

She would wince slightly as she moved on her bruised shoulder, aiming to try and move the large prey once again, aiming to grab the horns and tug on them harshly. She put all of her weight on her shoulder, hating the pain that it caused her but not really having another option. She wanted to think that her doing this was for the reason of getting the kill to a safer place, but in reality, she was simply trying to hide the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-18-2022, 10:56 PM
Jun was silenced by Serenity's stance. She stood near him while she ranted and spilled her heart out onto a platter before him. Serenity was undeniably vulnerable, exhausted, and utterly terrified. Jun saw it in her eyes no doubt; they were heavy with dread and depravity. The mere takedown of the goat had wrecked her and it coursed through him, too.

The man was still as she moved to the head of the goat, gripping onto it's rack of horns and attempting to pull it away with a hefty struggle. He could feel the back of his eyes burn with regret and guilt knowing that the words she spoke were true. Every last bit of it. A bear, mountain lion, or another pack had every opportunity to kill her. A pregnant female, alone, with another kin, was a walking death sentence.

Jun heard the wince from Serenity and he stood, urgently rushing to her side. "Stop, Serenity." he'd beg, his head pushing into her nape away from the goat. "Please," He could feel his own wake of tears tear away at his eyes, head still lodged against her neck. It pulled at him with such a force that he bit his tongue. He taste the way it bled and allowed it. 

"Please, please look at me." His voice was broken, barely above a whisper; a whimper replacing his usual tone. He'd take his head out of the warmth of her mane, looking up to her eyes, keeping her gaze to his as he sat himself on the ground. "There she is," he'd purr as she looked to him, a weak smile out of solace generating. 

"Don't cry, 자기야, I'm here, I'm right here." Eyes red with restraint, a few loose droplets fell down his face, littering the ground with salt. 

"I never said I was abandoning you, pretty girl."

the staff team luvs u
05-18-2022, 11:08 PM
She tried to ignore him, doing her best to pull the creature along the ground. She had to be able to do this by herself, there wasn't going to be anyone to help her. She had to... but even as she said that, she found herself not resisting as he pushed her head away, causing her to sit down, though she still didn't look at him for a moment. Her eyes burned from the tears that began to drip down her fur, dampening it slightly. Her body burned from trying to do everything by herself, and from pushing herself to do more. But more importantly, her heart burned, burned for a lover that she would never have. 

She heard his pleas to look at him, shaking her head though her heart broke even more with the sounds of the whimpers from him that matched her own. She found herself leaning her neck into him, half wishing that he would just kill her right then and there. It wasn't until he pulled away, turning to look up at him, her brown eyes sparkling from the tears that filled her gaze. 

His words seemed to break something within her as she found herself pushing her head into his chest if he allowed it, letting the tears fall from her face. "I'm sorry..." Her body shook slightly. "Please don't leave me.... I know you don't want these children but I can't kill them. I couldn't...." She didn't know what to do, but she knew that right now, she didn't want to be alone. She just didn't know how long she could keep him here. "How do I keep you?"

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-19-2022, 04:02 AM
Jun would hold Serenity as she collapsed into his chest, wrapping his head around her opposite shoulder if she let him. He couldn't imagine what it was like for her— he didn't want to even try, afraid of being ignorant. He wouldn't deny his loyalty to the Ford no matter how much she would cry. It still stung him no doubt, but his mind wouldn't be changed. 

Her sobs would turn into whimpering apologies and Jun would hush her, whispering soft coos; "You're alright, I've got you." She was shaking under his hold, a violent reaction to his correspondence. It pained him to merely think about leaving her, but he had to. He had a duty to commit to, and it seemed she had her own as well. 

He'd merely swallow the lump that was trapped in his throat, adam's apple bobbing in response. For the moment, as she would rant and catch her breath he would be silent. No matter what words of solace he could provide, it wouldn't be enough. He would have to lie to her. Jun was no liar. 

Jun would bring his head up as she said 'killing'— it sounded so violent against her lips. "I don't blame you. I'm not mad, either. I could never be." His words were true has he jut his nose against her cheek if she let him, nose bridge pushing against her jaw. She posed a particular question: how does one keep a wild child? 

Jun was a free spirit. He always had been. 

"Don't think about the future right now, yeah?" He'd let his tongue swipe across her cheek if she permitted it, her scent overflowing his nose. "Just be with me, Serenity. Just for a little while."

the staff team luvs u
05-19-2022, 04:15 AM
She didn't know why she was letting him in, crying on his shoulder and breaking down to him. It was of no use and didn't help them. It made her feel a little better, yes, but it also hurt even more knowing that it meant nothing. She meant nothing. Or at least not more than Ven and her Ford. As he spoke about the future and staying with in the moment, she would finally pull away, shaking her head as she got ahold of her emotions again. 

"I .... can't. I want to, but I can't. I don't have much light left to find a place to stay. Unlike you, I don't have a home anymore." That wasn't supposed to come out as venom laced as it sounded, but she was right. Her and her daughter, and whatever others she carried, were all homeless while he got to go back to the Ford and sleep in a protected den, safe from predators and lurking bandits in the night.  

Moving to stand up, she would shake out her fur slightly, her leg was starting to feel better, but still wasn't something she could run on. "I don't plan on finding you, and I don't want you finding me, not if it means this. If you want to see the children, then when they come of age, I will take them to visit, but nothing more. I refused to rely on someone that I don't mean the world to and who doesn't love me. That night may have been a mistake, but I did start falling for you, for you kindness and sweetness. It was a fools mistake but it doesn't matter now."

She would turn to look at him, offering him a small smile. "I'm not trying to change your mind anymore, I know I won't. Ven and the ford mean more to you than me and my kids. I'm not mad at you. It isn't the first time I've been outpicked and it won't be the last. I'm used to not being anyone's first choice."

She would aim to give him a lick on the cheek, a sad farewell as she started to turn away, nosing her daughter to rise them and ready them for the long and dangerous journey they had ahead.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-20-2022, 04:28 AM
Sorrow was the only emotion that phased Jun. How could it not? To see Serenity's eyes gloss with tears and her words laced with a strength unmatched. The man could only look away when she mentioned her situation, knowing that it rang true, and he remained a privileged caveat. 

The man's ears would flatten as he looked up to her, wobbly on her legs, but he didn't move to help her. He's done enough already, and she claims to be the independent wolf that she is...then so be it. Jun could only support- or...root for her on the sidelines. It was clear to him that she didn't want his pity or lucid words— she wanted a future. 

A promising one— and Jun did not make promises. 

"I'm sorry, Serenity." -Were the only words that he could say. He wanted to say so much, so much, yet time ran short. Her time with him was coming to a close, quickly, and he didn't know how to prevent it. Did he even want to? What did he really want? Too many questions overwhelmed him and he simply stayed still as she licked his cheek beginning her journey away from him. Raising a family away from him. She would explore the lands, and he too would continue to explore them. However he would be exploring the islands of the Sepulcher while she...hobbled from den to den, potentially with a litter beckoning at her side.

He swallowed a lump in his throat, uttering soft words, "I'll find you again." He, too, was gone. Traversing the opposition direction to his home, the tang of guilt stinging his skin. It burned like the cold water of the Tundra, an inescapable drowning of his own making. 

Jun did this to her, and somehow...maybe somehow, he would find a way to make it right. If he did, it would have to be soon.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top