Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
though i have closed myself as fingers

Early Morning Sunny/Clear
AW
Formation
Ecologist
05-18-2022, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2022, 02:49 AM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)

Plans were made, and rice was thrown. Things had been said, and acts had been committed, that could not be taken back. Time was moving both fast and slow as Tiberius and Olive fell deeper into the web they spun, and from it, developed the  illustration of their deepest wants and desires; a place to birth and raise their children which was of their own domain. Safety not only assured, but secured. A place from which their family could grow, thrive, and find meaning in the obscurity of a mortal life.

Some days after Olive had rested with Tiberius and met up with Kuhn, she departed the Elsewhen and headed north, to see after the task her silvered, shadowed knight had given her: to liaise with the pack Elysium and approach them with an open hand of friendship. It was Olive's intention to make this trip before the signs of any possible pregnancy made themselves known, which the woman awaited with a sense of both eagerness and nervousness. Though she had practiced her medicine upon mothers since she was but a couple years old, all knowledge she knew was second-hand. Olive didn't truly know what it felt like, only what it was supposed to feel like.

She traveled quickly, her northern-eastern voyage made far easier by the season and the lack of any snow, or rains. The earth was firm, and Olive delighted in how she was expertly able to weave between the pockmarked landscape — her path curving up and around the everfrost to avoid the factions to the south — to find a valley she had never been to before, and had only heard of in passing. Olive knew she was getting close when the wolf-scent became thick and musky; and even then the woman backtracked her steps to forage upon neutral grounds, plucking a bouquet of motherwort and calendula; a gift which which was not only beautiful, but contained seeds with which to propagate a garden.

Re-approaching the scented borders, Olive wasted no time in depositing her small mouthful at her feet and calling for an audience.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Sprite-0005.gif]

duskguard  /  healing    /  lineage
Misc Skill
05-18-2022, 03:58 AM

{For the sake of continuity flow, I'm going to say this is right before the wedding/feast}

Unlike her beloved, Valeska rose with the dawn. While she firmly believed in midday naps, she was always the first of Elysium to rise each day, having grown up with the mantra never to waste the sun's blessing and always using it to her full advantage.

As a result she was presently busying herself in a futile attempt to tidy up the clearing in which they would be married, rolling bits of pinecones and debris away to the outer edges with her nose - only for yet another twig to fall at the other side of the glade. Rinse, repeat. It looked like a comical exercise of the famed quote describing insanity, i.e., doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Pregnancy hormones had thoroughly fogged her mind and she felt herself hyper-fixated on meaningless details, if only because they distracted her from the nausea that threatened to overtake her with every step.

Preparing for the festival was an exhausting blessing in disguise.

She didn't even have the emotional excess to swear when it happened again, and as she dutifully trotted toward the offending branch, her ears suddenly picked up a soft, melodious howl at the outskirts of Fate's Respite. An unfamiliar voice - there seemed to be many of those lately, not that she minded. Valeska visibly perked up at the prospect of a new acquaintance and discarded her work, setting out toward where the stranger had summoned her - the sound came from just out of reach of Vanderfell's claim, yet neither did it encroach upon Elysium's border.

A she-wolf of pale greys and silver-whites stood elegantly in wait, her soft features melting into an expression of kindness and goodwill. At her paws sat a small pile of offerings, and Valeska found herself staring most curiously at the motherwort in particular as she closed the distance between them.

“Good morning,” she said, flashing her a welcoming smile. “I am Valeska, High Priestess of Elysium, and I was just in the middle of losing what is left of my rationality, so it is good timing to interrupt.”

She thought of the glade and its insignificant imperfections, and shivered.

“Your scent is distant, but familiar,” the little wolf offered slowly, trying to place its origin. “It reminds me of a claim I passed once on a journey to Northfall; a high mountain toward the west?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
Formation
Counsellor
05-21-2022, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2022, 02:49 AM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)
The woman ushered a call, lips brushing the sky, as was customary when requesting an audience; and then she reclined and waited, as even the quickest of wolves needed to finish whatever activity they were certain in the midst of, in order to attend to her. Olive sat in repose and gently licked down the fine furs of her forelegs, gently washing off the dust of the road from her pale pelt. She hadn't been waiting long, before a woman emerged from the ambient surroundings.

The effusive woman spent time introducing herself, which allowed Olive to recover from the slight shock of encountering another who looks so similar to her and her kin; perhaps one of the more typical colorings in any normal world, but seemingly in the minority in this particular universe. In glancing over Valeska's carriage, she could not help but notice the swell of the other's belly, and she flashed a smile as she returned greetings. "Olive Shakti-Seabreeze-Singing-Sunlight," the greyscale sprite offered, curling one paw into her chest and dipping into a small curtsy.

Olive nodded, lifting her chin somewhat to glance up at the sky, placing the locus she spoke against the map of the mountains she held in her mind, and suddenly it was clear. "Yes, that would be the small aegis in the central mountains, named Evenrise," the woman affirmed, looking back towards the mother-to-be, eyes bright at the recognition and familiarity, though this was met with the briefest of hiccups. "—though it is a pack I no longer run with," she admitted, remaining open in her posturing, as the separation between she and Evenrise had been a part of the natural progression of something larger for her.

"My partner and I, we intend to claim a stake of land in the tundra," Olive explained, feeling a effervescent bubbling in her stomach at the idea of it all. "We wish to make friends of potential neighbors." Whereas the mountains were crowded, the Tundra was far less so. Hopefully, the wolves of Elysium would not see this as a threat, or an encroachment. In fact, this was exactly what her mission North sought to avoid.

Olive wanted to them proffer her gift, wondering if the wolves of Elysium valued herbs (or if they might see the bough as only fodder for the spring hares), but something else begged for attention first. "If you don't mind me asking, Priestess— Olive alleged, with a smile

"Where has all your rationality gone off to?"

the staff team luvs u

Misc Skill
05-21-2022, 06:22 PM
The sheer politeness of the stranger impressed her more than anything, and when the woman offered a graceful curtsey, Valeska attempted to do the same back - only to stumble lightly in the process, still unused to the new weight of her swollen stomach. She grinned apologetically, and listened as the other spoke.

Olive Shakti-Seabreeze-Singing-Sunlight. She had never known a wolf with so many names, and when paired with such a slight creature in stature, they would almost seem overwhelming - but Olive carried them with an elegant nobility that suited her carriage. She was almost ethereal in the way she moved and spoke, and Valeska felt herself awkward and clumsy in her presence; yet thankfully Olive didn't seem to notice or care, and it set her at ease.

Evenrise, at least, seemed to be a non-hostile pack should she travel that way again, given the kindness of her new acquaintance. Even though the woman had since parted from her pack, it spoke well of them as a whole if one of their former members presented themselves with such kindness and grace.

However, the mention of of their intent to stake a claim nearby saw her ears prick forward intently, and she could not hide the pleased look that came over her face at the news. Their initial attempt at an alliance with Vanderfell had been met with apathy and relative disinterest - the cost of forging positive ties with other packs was high indeed, and Valeska was not particularly keen on the idea of selling one of her own off in marriage just for the sake of an alliance they did not require. As long as Vanderfell remained neutral, at base, she was content to coexist peacefully nearby.

Olive, however, was different.

“Elysium would be delighted to call ourselves a friend,” she said without hesitation. She saw no reason to deny the woman when she presented so well, especially with such an honesty and openness that radiated from her gentle tone and expression. “We have many friends - a large cat among them, even - and are always happy to make more. Our neighbors are rather closed-off and do not speak to us, so it will be pleasant to mingle company with new blood.”

Olive, at one point, glanced down at the gifts she offered, and Valeska allowed a paw to fly up to her mouth in shock. “Oh! My manners!” she exclaimed. “Yes, I did wish to thank you for your lovely bouquet - I am familiar with calendula, as my sister is very keen on herbs, but the other - it is new to me. What is that?”

As she bent down to give it an exploratory sniff, she glanced up at Olive's inquiry as to her present... situation.

"Ah... I am preparing for my wedding in the coming days, and coupled with what I assume to be pregnancy гормоны, (she did not know the English word for such a thing) I have found myself greatly stressed by small things that should not bother me. I was attempting to clear out the glade for our ceremony, and found myself weeping over a pinecone. It was the most peculiar thing."

the staff team luvs u
Medic
Formation
05-23-2022, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2022, 02:50 AM by Olive. Edited 4 times in total.)
Similarly, the calling sylph could not help but survey the other in her mannerisms and way of speaking; from the trip and the trouble of curtsying, to the way she did not hesitate to acquiesce and accept the offer of foreign friendship. Olive found it all quite endearing, and had received all the positive affirmations she needed to know that things were going swimmingly. Olive beamed, only adding in "Tiberius and I feel the same way," when she mentioned being more open to alliance than neighbors to the south. "Life is more easily assured when we all work in allyship with each other, and in accordance with the Gods' will — more so than in opposition, and against one another." Olive nodded, attempting to appeal to her similarly righteous nature.

Olive would be quick to upend her own ulterior motives, quickly dishing the details of what had compelled her to travel so far north, to commune with a pack she did not yet know. The way Valeska spoke was so personable and colorful, that Olive was easily tempted into conversation. "Actually, your name was mentioned to me, by a woman some weeks ago..." Olive furrowed her brow as if thinking, but truly, she remembered the woman as clear as day. "Her name was @Vendrussel, and she said that you also had a wish to see peace amongst the discord on the coast." Of course, she hadn't known the High Priestess was nearing the advanced stages of pregnancy, and would be seeing to other far more maternal matters for the foreseeable future.

Still, she brought it up as an indication of something far larger, not expecting to solve the world's many political problems in one singular meeting. "I too, am a peace-seeker, and wish to see the world a safer place for our children," Olive explained, tipping her ears towards the gravid silver Queen. At the same time, her mind turning inward and though about any pups she might have growing within her, too. Olive felt responsible for making the world these babies might inhabit the best one possible; one deserving of their own greatness. "So, I am curious to know, what do you make of such a grave matter as the event in the Everfrost?" the sylph questioned intimately, leaving it open to hear Valeska's reply.

Then, Olive looked down at the gold flowers intermixed with conical blooms, and she smiled, thinking about how it was all she had to offer them in the name of alliance, at the moment. Nothing but seeds; the potential of something great. "We are in the midst of scouting territory and gathering company, so I fear there is not much I have to offer except for the promise of a prosperous future," she confided honestly. "but in the meantime, might I offer you this calendula and this motherwort, which can be propagated in a garden..." Olive picked up the many stems in her mouth and walked forward, placing them at Valeska's feet.

She stepped backwards, coming to sit with her haunches on the earth several paces away, but not as far as she once was. "Indeed, I brought them for your sister, whom I heard had worked her healing arts on the great Kuhn," her voice was light, as if imbued with laughter at the coincidence, "But I see now that the Gods intended them for you, as motherwort is best used during childbirth and postpartum. It soothes the heart, and strengthens the blood." Yes, yes, herbs were all fine and dandy, but they could not be given the space to work properly when one was under external stress. Giving her ashen ruff a shake, Olive realized the true weight of all that Valeska bore on her shoulders.

"A wedding, and a new family?" she exclaimed gently. "It makes sense to me that one would be feeling... swept up in it all."

the staff team luvs u

Counsellor
05-23-2022, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2022, 06:32 PM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)

Olive shared many similarities with herself; devout, peaceful, and of a seemingly generous nature. It felt like looking into a mirror at a slimmer, more graceful version of herself, and while many wolves might regard the notion with shame and self-deprecation, Valeska merely grinned. It was uncanny.

The shock of hearing Vendrussel's name so unexpectedly nearly caused her to stumble, and she suddenly realized how dire the situation had become for news of their conflict to spread to so many ears - and even inspire this woman's great journey to discuss it. 'Shit,' she thought inwardly, uttering a quick apology to Houtu. Her pregnancy had come at an inconvenient time, despite it still being her greatest desire, and she regretted immensely how she was unable to make the trip back to Northfall for the sea-wolf's sake.

Unless...

“Ragnar and others from his pack will be in attendance at my wedding,” she began carefully, testing the waters. “I wonder - perhaps we may catch him before he leaves, and see what we can do from here?”

It was not ideal, but Vendrussel was clearly running out of time before she would be forced to take action. Elysium and Northfall considered each other friends, but if a war could be negated, she would not see her own thrust into a fruitless conflict.

“Vendrussel killed one of their members - she is remorseful, but she cannot undo what she has done. She seeks peace, now, but Northfall believes in an eye-for-an-eye; it will not be easy.”

The mention of the Everfrost conflict filled her with apprehension. It seemed that all corners of their world were embroiled in conflict with one another, and try as she might to help her and her pack stay above the fracas, the threat of war loomed ever closer to their home. Thank the gods that her sister had been called to aid Kuhn in tending to his injuries, or he may not have survived such a brutal assault. She still couldn't believe it.

“My sister has told me of it,” she said gravely, brow furrowing. “She said the attack was led by Ira of Vanderfell, and a - Ray-ee-ko? Reiko? I do not know the latter, but she has told me that two packs were involved, so I assume it is the leader of another. However, we have had a new pack settle within Vanderfell's reach... and I scented blood at their arrival.”

Olive seemed equally distressed over the attack on their mutual friend. She wondered, briefly, how she had come to meet Kuhn - but saved the question for another day.

The silver wolf offered a tired smile, and gratefully accepted the other's gifts. “The promise of a bright future in peace is enough,” she said, lowering her head in a respectful nod. It was far easier to sow a garden of friends than to reap the weeds of enemies, and though nothing was bound by blood, she did not feel it needed to be. Her word alone was enough - for what worth was a wolf if they did not mean what they said? “You have Elysium's trust and good will. I am curious to try the motherwort... your presence has certainly come at a good time! Would you care to stay for the festivities, and begin our journey together in celebration?”

the staff team luvs u
05-30-2022, 08:32 PM
Olive nodded when she heard how Ragnar would be attending the High Priestess's wedding in just a few days, silently impressed at the network of leaders that criss-crossed the north, all connected with one another, and most seemingly interested in working together to seek a larger peace. It was the ultimate convenience that Olive had arrived at such an auspicious moment, and that ragnar would also be traversing the large distance. So often, these things went un-discussed simply because messages were so slow to travel, and schedules impossible to line up.

"Yes... Wonderful Idea," Olive cooed, pleased that there would — at the very least — be a discussion about all of this. The sylph wished now more than ever that Tiberius had traveled with her, as Olive had never thought of herself as a representative, or an officer of sorts; that was far and away Tiberius's natural-born talent. "Perhaps we can enlighten our mutual friend Ragnar about the largely peaceful manner of the gods... how blood is not so easily repaid." However, with so many great minds at play, Olive trusted the future they all sought side-by-side —  with any hope, this was easily communicated with the wag of her tail, and the upturn of her cheeks.

It was a strange feeling, to so greatly enjoy such harrowing conversation. When Valeska commented upon Kuhn's attack, Olive was more than willing to fill-in her unknown details. "The other pack you speak of is named Shiroshika, and their Empress is named Reiko. My partner, Tiberius, used to run with them." It was a fact that she was proud of and spoke it with the appropriate air to her voice. To Olive, it was a great demonstration of the decisive power that Titan had, and his strong moral compass. "He has told me they've resettled from the Tundra to the southern tip of a mountain chain," she commented with a grit of her molars, feeling that Shiroshika might be closer to her now than she had expected.

"The new pack you speak of... that must be them." Knitting her eyebrows, she ruffled her feathered bosom and reached out in a voice dripping with deep understanding"It doesn't worry you, to have such unpredictable neighbors?"

Her anxieties were easily quieted by the softness and kindness of the woman who stood before her; but Olive had always felt soothed by pregnant women, finding their state to the ultimate inspiration of hope. It was nearly impossible for her to not let her gaze bounce between the silvered woman's round sides, and her golden-warm gaze. "Simply fantastic, I would absolutely love to attend." Olive released a sigh, having assumed she would have to wait several days for Northfall's eventual arrival, but not wanting to go as far as assuming she was invited to such an intimate affair. Truthfully, could Olive say she had ever been to a wedding before? Olive's heart fluttered with excitement. "It would be an honor to strength the bond between Elysium and Duskguard in such a way."

The woman stepped forward, dipping her nose forward and down, making her interest in Valeska's state more overtly obvious. "I know you have a healer amongst your family, but..." she began, ears craning forward, lifting up her crown to look at the potential patient's fine-featured face. "I am an experienced midwife, if you seek prenatal care or evaluation." She had brought herbs and instructed on their use, had met Elysium in the air of friendship and agreed to attend their ceremony, but there was still so much more she could do for their thriving allies.

With Riannon's litter already born and herself moving on from Evenrise, the midwife within Olive was craving to more closely study the symptoms and malaise of a gravid woman — for many reasons, but mostly so that she could better-prepare herself for her own upcoming journey.

the staff team luvs u

Counsellor
06-01-2022, 05:08 AM
The slight woman's hopeful attitude and encouraging words were like a salve to the growing pains in her heart, thinking of the turmoil that surrounded them from seemingly all sides. Northfall was home to many good wolves, though their desire for retribution might come at a heavy cost. Valeska did not know the exact circumstances resulting in their lost member's death at the hands of Vendrussel, but she had spoken with the sea-wolf, and she seemed genuinely remorseful - it was not a memory she enjoyed, nor did she speak of it in a way that implied intent. Perhaps it had been a freak accident misconstrued by all parties, but it looked too late to pass it off so lightly.

No; Northfall sought blood for blood, and it would take a great deal of work to convince the northern king to relinquish his desire for revenge.

Maybe together, though - maybe together they could show him reason.

Otherwise, how many more would have to die?

“Tiberius ran with them? And - left?” she said incredulously. Although Elysium held a more easy-come, easy-go mindset for its members, she herself had grown up in a very traditional pack and understood well the implications behind her statement. For a wolf to leave their family, their brothers and sisters in arms simply because they did not agree with a decision was an enormous breach of pack code and a testament to his character - Valeska had yet to meet the man, but she was clearly impressed by his valor. “No wonder you are so in love with him; it tells in your tone.” She smiled good-naturedly.

Olive then raised the question of concern at having such aggressively-inclined neighbors of late, and the silver wolf cast a rueful look up toward Fate's Summit and let her gaze slowly drift down toward Skelmir's Pass. She wasn't wrong. Elysium sat right in the middle of a bad situation, especially considering they were allies and friends with the very wolves (and creatures) the two packs were at odds with. “It does,” she said quietly, “But I also do not think they will try anything. We have not done ill to them, and as far as I know, they are unaware of our current ties. It is not a secret, but it is also not something I have drawn attention to. They are busy pulling themselves back together - I have smelled much stale blood since their arrival, so I do not think they will be going anywhere with haste.”

Valeska felt touched by the sylph's offer to aid in her delivery, though she felt a strange sort of awkwardness surrounding it. The whole thing seemed so personal, and to have so many eyes and ears and paws on her during what would likely be the most invasive and frightening day of her life felt almost too much - but safely and successfully bringing her pups into the world was more important, and she swallowed back her nervousness.

“You are so wonderful to suggest it,” she replied bashfully. “Then let us feed you well at the ceremony and give you a reason for your kindness! I am certain to be due any day now, even if the thought frightens me.”

Clearing her throat, she pursued the subject further.

“Pre... natal? What is that?”

the staff team luvs u
Medic
Formation
06-22-2022, 05:59 PM
Valeska’s comments about her evident ardor for Tiberius were well received, and it settled into Olive’s heart and nestled into a little home there. It was always a nice thing to hear positive affirmations of their relationship — since between Benry and Riannon, there hadn’t been much celebrate of this new relationship in her life. With Archon, Kuhn and Valeska, it felt lovely and natural to be see and to rejoice with kindred spirits. It was easy to know which ones she desired to keep close, in this new phase of her life. “Hmm, perhaps next I’ll be inviting you my own lavish wedding,” she jested with a blushingly covetous smile, not having thought of this possibility before. However, there was still the matter of finding land, accruing a pack, and bringing forth her own children — all of which seemed so much more impending that a need to declare her love before gods and men. It was a good thing she had been invited to Elysium’s, and could stave off this particular desire for a while.

Another part of what kept her from fully settling into the beauty of all these recent changes in her life was the ideas behind the ambush that had occurred. If Valeska wasn’t worry about the two packs that lived right on her doorstep, Olive reasoned, then she could reasonably justify that it was not something for her to fret over, either.
“I have my only suspicions that you are left undisturbed is that you are a wolf — not a tiger.” Olive couldn’t help but indulge in what felt like a bit of gossip; a comment on the offending wolves character, more than anything that they could act upon. “It all reeks of extreme speciesism.” because it did. Even though it was difficult for her to understand felines and their baffling ways, she didn’t ever think she needed to be rid of them.

Onto far more bright and cheery topics, as far as Olive was concerned. When the silvered High Priestess asked what ‘prenatal’ meant, the midwife immediately realized that the answer to her question was no.
“Prenatal gives a name to the care that a mother and her pups receive before they’re born,” she explained in a well-practiced voice; this question was asked of her often, as midwives were not always a part of a pregnancy. More often than not, women could become pregnant and give birth perfectly fine & without intervention; those who couldn’t were often overly appreciative of Olive’s assistance. The woman worked to keep her hazel-toned gaze on Valeska’s face rather than her gravid belly. If she wasn’t used to this, such a thing could seem invasive.

“I don’t have to attend your birth, if it’s not something you desire,” she specified, giving her tail a wag to indicate that there would be no hard feelings. “There is much that can be done beforehand to assure a successful delivery," and if Valeska wanted to hear what else a midwife could offer her, Olive would happily oblige. However, if the glowing bride was tired from such exertions, there was nothing that couldn’t wait until tomorrow.

the staff team luvs u

Misc Skill
06-23-2022, 09:22 PM
The coy manner in which she teased of her own possible wedding - which did not seem so distant a prospect, given the way Olive spoke of her gentleman - saw Valeska's face light up pleasingly, giving a gentle wag of her tail. She adored celebrations and any excuse to have a party at all, and above everything else, she loved love. For as long as she could remember the little wolf had held her romanticism close to her chest, spending her early adolescence fantasizing about strong, handsome, mysterious men whisking her off on wild adventures to faraway lands unknown, a wolf tall of stature and dark of coat-

And somehow ended up falling in love with a beautiful golden ghost instead. Life had a funny way of giving you what you truly needed after all; now she could not imagine a life spent with anyone else.

“If that is the case, then you may count on my attendance!” she exclaimed joyfully. “It is always an honor to share in someone's special day. I am certain yours will be изысканный - and please, if I may be of any assistance when this time comes, allow me to help you with planning. I can recommend a most wonderful florist by way of my sister.”

Planning a wedding had proven to be more work than she anticipated, and she knew the sylph might appreciate a helping paw should the time come. She still hadn't ironed out all of the details (particularly concerning food, but hopefully Zula was hard at work).

The topic of speciesism interwove their idle, happy chatter, and Valeska nodded slowly. She herself did not partake in those closed-minded feelings, simply seeing a purpose for all creatures and creation as it stood. Wolves were important, of course; the Five created them first; but the thought of seeing any fellow sentient being as inferior or worth slaying just for the sake of their differences filled her with disgust.

Yet it happened all the time, every day. In all corners of the earth.

“I am grateful to be left in peace, though Kuhn's attack still pains me. How cruel is the heart of even a wolf; and I thought we were here to spread goodness!” she lamented, glancing up toward the mountains. “Perhaps their silence is contemplation of what they have done.”

One could hope, at least.

Olive went on to explain what, exactly, the word prenatal meant to Valeska's attentive grey ears, swiveled forward at full attention as she was keenly interested in anything that might aid in her pregnancy. Growing up relatively secluded in the mountains, her pack had never known of such things; either the pregnancy was a successful one, or it simply... wasn't. To imagine a way that one might shift the odds more favorably was completely new.

“No! No, I... I would like someone with experience in such things to be there,” she said quickly, embarrassed. “If I lost a child just because I thought I could do it on my own - I would not be able to live with myself. I am not... afraid to ask for help.”

She shifted awkwardly, then, offering Olive a tentative smile. “Tell me more of this care?”

the staff team luvs u
Medic
07-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Olive smiled, finding Valeska’s honesty endearing; the truth was essential to her doing her job as a healer and midwife successfully, and it was promising that the similarly greyscale woman felt such comfort — not only in inviting her to be a part of her delivery, but to discharge (what might probably be) her worst fear onto her, a most willing receptacle for such a thing. To Olive, emotional health was adjacent to physical — and it often was helpful to bring such things to light, so that they might be confront in reality, and with the support of a friend.

Still, Olive smiled.
“Have no fear,” she uttered to the other sylph, “it is only rarely that dire.” she tilted her head in a sympathetic sense of understanding; though Valeska might think it’s because she was a midwife, if actually heralded from her own innate, growing sense of motherhood — as soft and subtle as it was, at the moment.

On the far less metaphysical side of things, Valeska pressed her for clues as to what prenatal care might look like. It wasn’t far different than being a healer or general practitioner of medicines for any of ailment or upkeep, only that one needed to know what that norm for a pregnant or birthing person was. Then is was as simple as assess, diagnose, and treat.
“I can assess your general health and how it may impact your pregnancy,” the shaman-woman offered with a generous sway of her tail; for all intents and purposes, Valeska seemed fine — but there were far less obvious factors, such as blood pressure, digestion, and liver health.

The midwife allowed herself a sidelong glance towards Valeska’s belly, since they were now speaking for forwardly about it.
“From the outside I can palpate your puppies, try to see their relative size and position.” This task was not so easy and only practiced by experienced hands; even Olive felt herself far too green to attempt truly turning a pup’s position for an impending birth. “I can also prepare you for delivery — give you an idea of what to expect, and what to do, beforehand.” This was far more Olive’s comfort level, as the bulk to the endeavor would rely on the mother, anyways.

The midwife only ever played a supporting role, whether with the birthing person, or when it came to beseeching the gods.

Olive stood with pale, feathered heels clicked together, shrugging her shoulders slightly, hoping this wasn’t all-too-formal for the most-conversational Valeska. The High Priestess had deftly handled Olive’s barrage of information and offers so far, but soon they would both need to rest.
“And of course, there are herbs like these you can employ for their assistance in any of these matters,” she concluded, figuring that she had her sister, the master healer-herbalist, to assist with such things.

the staff team luvs u

07-13-2022, 10:31 PM
What an incredible world of knowledge lay within their reach. Generally speaking, beyond her mother's (then-newly-introduced) herbalism, if an ailment couldn't be walked off in a day or two, her origin pack would simply shrug and prepare the poor wretch's burial rites. To think that there were preventative measures and ways of ensuring a healthy delivery beyond prayer was a revelaton.

“Anything to see that they are safe,” she said in a hushed tone, glancing down toward her growing belly. Valeska felt safe with Olive; something in her reassuring tone held a sway over whomever she spoke with, and whatever irrational fears she had carried seemed to dissipate with each moment.

She would be just fine - she was certain.

There was so much to learn, however, and only so much time in which to do it; standing up, she flicked her tail, motioning for the pale woman to follow.

“All of it - I wish to know all of it! I am sure my sister would also love to be a, how does the phrase go... a fly on the wall?” she said with a grin. “Come, let us speak of herbs and palpations over breakfast. I am sure you are hungry from your traveling.”

It pleased Valeska to have a friend in the sylph; she was a wealth of knowledge, and the notion of having a true ally was comforting given their current situation. However large or small Duskguard grew, kindred spirits were always welcome within Elysium's generous arms; trust need not be transactional to be given.

Innocent until proven guilty - words to live by. She had not yet been blighted by this mantra.

“So do you prefer deer, or do you like the leaner meats such as rabbit...”

{Exit Valeska}

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top