Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Dance with me under the diamonds.

Early Morning Partly Cloudy
P
Vanderfell Woods
Shiroshika
Formation
05-14-2022, 09:06 AM
With things were moving along more smoothly with Reiko, Quicksilver departed from her side to seek Vanderfell's leader so that they might further discuss their plan. The tell-tale signs of his beloved's heat cycle had ceased in recent days and, although reluctant to depart from her, the druid was keen to press on with their arrangements given their most recent development.

In his yearning for fatherhood, he hoped that their union would come to bear the fruit he so desired.

Quicksilver looked for the High Queen along the edges of her territory where it bordered the land that Shiroshika had chosen to regroup. It felt odd to linger on the edge of the summit that'd been his home for so long, but he did not wish to offend @Ira with a possible intrusion. Instead of inviting himself across her borders or demanding an audience, the sterling medic waited for her to pass in his direction on her morning patrol so that they might engage in an overdue catch-up.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Untitled_Artwork.png]
Medic
05-14-2022, 09:28 AM
As her aches increased and her belly began to swell it was no longer a question as to what was now occurring. Of course, she was pleased to have more to call her own soon enough, but the pains of her previous pregnancy would come with swift reminders. Ira awoke early enough with the desperate need for fresh air to save her from the nausea that consumed her within the confines of her den. Soon she would be forced to remain deeper in her own claim if only for the protection of her growing brood, but with her signs only just beginning to show, she felt comfortable enough in the early morning to slip away to the comfort of her borders.

Perhaps if she sniffed around Quicksilver's old garden she would find something familiar to aid in the growing cramps. If she recalled correctly, Hieronymous had brought her mint once before at Quicksilver's suggestion. Fortunately, it seemed she would not have to guess about as the familiar silvers of her ex-medic came into view. Quicksilver— I had not expected to see you linger like a stranger. Overly cautious as ever perhaps, but Shiroshika was still on terms of crossing despite their recent relocation.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
05-14-2022, 09:50 AM
It did not take long for the roan Alphess to make an appearance, and Quicksilver collected himself up onto his paws the moment he saw her. Tail swaying cheerfully, the silverwhite observed Ira's movements and braved a few steps closer to test her reception of his approach.

She welcomed him, it seemed, which brought warmth to the heard of him. Unpracticed in pack politics involving the terms of allied groups, Quicksilver didn't feel it appropriate to make assumptions.

“Apologies, Queen Ira,” he said softly with a respectful dip of his muzzle, “I thought you'd pass by here around this time.” Respecting her, a superior still despite the promise of his own crown, was something the medic was sure he'd always commit to. He smiled. “It is good to see you,” a doctor through and through, his gaze swept briefly over the Alphess' form - and he found a familiar glow to her, “and I believe congratulations are in order?”

the staff team luvs u
Medic
05-17-2022, 11:26 PM
Yes, well I suppose I can be rather predictable. The hint of a smile quipped her lips as she found her gaze straying. She and Hieronymous both were quite particular about daily routines, although her husband's schedule was far more strict than her own for reasons few knew. Same to you. Even if he had not gone far, Shiroshika's displacement and temporary relocation had pulled their members further from Vanderfell's claim, though surely it would only benefit both as they resettled into daily life.

Is that so? I had my suspicions, but confirmation does a mind well. Especially with @Hieronymous'  recent return. He had been rather worked up over the potential news after spending so much time away, though fortunately, he had returned in due time before anything was overly visible or debilitating. Actually, I had intentions so seek your council over herbs. I don't quite recall which were best for early symptoms, though I believe mint was one Hiero brought often. Of course, her knowledge could easily be confused with the limited healing she knew to save time for true medics, and she wasn't certain if any of the herbs she knew should be offlimits during pregnancy.

Although, given your wait, I assume there is else on your mind you wish to speak about first. For all she knew his could involve Shiroshika's well-being or something far more important than plant talk to ease a bout of mild nausea.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
Misc Skill
05-19-2022, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2022, 06:20 PM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
Ira's pregnancy would bring great joy to Vanderfell, for Quicksilver remembered the excited anticipation he felt with confirmation of the first. The royal cubs had brought new light into his life and he'd willingly adopted many roles to aid theur parents in guiding them: doctor, guardian, sitter, teacher.

They were largely independent now as they fast approached adulthood, though the druid knew he would forever cherish the memories he'd made with them when they were so small. They'd learned much from him but he liked to think they'd taught him more, as he felt better prepared for the new title of father he would hopefully bear in the near future.

“Oh yes, mint is good for your gut,” he beamed, white-tipped tail waving, “but not too much. If you feel nauseous, ginger will be kind to your stomach.”

He'd grown plenty of each in his gardens, which had been thriving before joining the Shiroshika wolves in Skelmir's Pass. Quicksilver could only hope that @Nimueh and the others continued to maintain his crop.

The High Queen prompted him to speak of his reason for lingering, and his powder blue eyes glimmered with excitement as he sought her face. “Reiko and I are ready to proceed with our wedding,” the silverwhite announced, “I hoped we might celebrate here, on Vanderfell territory?” It made sense to him, considering how Shiroshika were unlikely to return to their tundra home.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
Misc Skill
05-20-2022, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2022, 10:43 AM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
So her memory hadn't failed, though it seemed Quicksilver knew of something better anyhow. I will search for ginger then. I assume it is to be taken the same as when you treated my wounds? Apparently it did more than treat infections, something she would have to remember for next time. Perhaps different reactions required different intakes. Frankly, she was not sure she had ever seen ginger used in another manner other than gnawing on it, but she was learning new things daily from the medic, even now that he no longer resided in Vanderfell. Idly she wondered how stocked his old gardens were between two packs and the silver druid's departure, but perhaps another had taken his place in caring for the man's duties. If not, she would surely need to assign someone to learn while Quicksilver was still near.

The roan woman's ears perked at his news. Based on their last sit down she had not expected Reiko and Quicksilver to proceed so swiftly, but she had no complaints. If they had worked out their differences already then she had no doubts they would manage the future of Shiroshika well on their own. Is that so? You hold no lingering resentment or doubts? She hoped the answer would be no, but should he still be holding on to something more it would do no good for the packs to force a union that would ultimately crumble. I would be more than happy for you two to wed at the Summit. It was my hope that the whole of both packs would be present for such an occasion. If you are confident with your decision then we may call to arrange for preparations to begin immediately.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
05-21-2022, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2022, 09:50 AM by Quicksilver. Edited 1 time in total.)
“Yes,” he answered her enquiry, “seek it in my gardens, dig for its roots. Should you find none there, I planted some in the run where it borders Vanderfell territory. ” Ginger had struggled to grow on the mountain in the previous year, having preferred the warmer climate in the lowlands, be he'd succeeded in small quantities.

Moving onto the topic if his relationship with Reiko, the druid lowered his gaze. It was awkward to talk of the difficulties they'd faced together, for there were many - plenty that the High Queen would not know of. But as far as Quicksilver was concerned, the good outweighed the bad. He was ready to leave the strain of their past behind him, where it all ought to remain.

“We have talked at length,” he said, tail-tip twitching as he thought on stress they'dshared only recently, “and we want to move past this. We are ready.”

He was both excited and nervous to make the step, the largest of his life so far, but it was absolutely time to stand on his own four paws. “We share the same hopes, then,” he smiled softly. A ceremony at the summit would be a perfect, happy farewell to Vanderfell and all it'd come to mean for him.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
05-21-2022, 10:51 AM
Ira would nod to his instructions. They were simple enough and should she find difficulty it was not as if the druid would be hard to reach. However, with his news, her thoughts were but mild annoyances to ignore in the face of the massive preparations the packs must undergo. That is, if he wished for a traditional Vanderfell wedding. Have you a vision for the ceremony? I believe you know by now what I see in a wedding, but this is not mine to command. She could direct her own according to Quicksilver's will, but it would be he who ultimately steered the ship.

Perhaps it would be good practice for his role to come. You only need speak it and it shall be done. Either way she would insist on a hunt to feed both packs for the event. Quicksilver was the one to wed, but his union would bring the whole together. It was only fitting that they all come together for at least one night to feast and mingle. Fortunately, the minor squabble gave time for all to recover to a point of functionality from their wounds. If anything, she might be the only one who must sit aside for the hunt, but so long as her body allowed and her belly safe, she would find ways to make herself of use.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
Misc Skill
05-22-2022, 06:19 PM
She asked of his thoughts for the ceremony, and he aspired only for perfection. Quicksilver yearned for sunshine, for warmth and colour, for vows from the heart. The weather was outwith hs control, for Springtime showers were common throughout the season, but he hoped some higher power might favour he and his bride on their special day.

“I don't know if Shiroshika has any traditions that Reiko will want to incorporate,” he mulled over what discussion they'd shared, and could not recall if she'd mentioned any weddings occurring on her own mountain, “I'm sure she'll have her own input but I... I was actually hoping,” he emitted a breath of nervous laughter, “that you would officiate?”

He was terrible at public speaking, and knew he was fumble with his words. The last thing he wanted to do was embarrass himself, or worse - his wife-to-be!

“I may be moving on to join Reiko at Shiroshika, but...” he smiled, a hint of sorrow to his expression, “I will always be Vanderfell. And I will always be available to you, for anything at all.” He would carry on serving as Ira's midwife for as long as she'd have need of him. In the absence of a medic with such skills, he expected she might hope for him to be available for the birth of her litter - just as he'd been for the first.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
07-07-2022, 08:40 PM
The roan queen found it a bit odd that he had not spoken with Reiko beforehand about their desires for their special day, but she supposed it mattered little if she would be responsible for hosting. There would be plenty of time for her to meet with the Empress and secure her desires as well. However, what came next was perhaps more surprising. Or maybe it wasn't. Quicksilver's wish made sense if she had to ponder upon it and it left Ira with little room to refuse. Very well. Health providing of course, Not that she believed these kids would be due soon, but this world was known to throw nasty tricks. I would be happy to see you and the Empress through your day.

A hint of a smile would sit on her lips as the druid searched for his words, but it would become full as he finished. Aye, of course, you are. Why else would this union mean so much for both packs? Vanderfell would always welcome him with open arms, even if he bore a crown of his own and lived a mountain away. Your skill has always been much appreciated Quicksilver. It pains me to lose you, but I find comfort in our allies and know you are never too far from home. But enough of this— there is much to be done. Save the sap for the trees and the wedding.

I shall have Hiero rally a group to hunt while you search for your offering. Fear not, I will not accompany them this year. I will ensure the Stonewatch is properly prepared.

can end with your next post?

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
07-13-2022, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 05:46 PM by Quicksilver.)
After all they'd been through, all Quicksilver longed for was for he and Reiko's wedding day to run as smoothly as possible. With Ira at its helm, guiding each of them with her wisdom, the druid was confident that all would be well.

There would be no hiccups. There would be no objection. And if there were to be issues of any sort, he hoped they would be minor.

So he smiled brightly for the Queen, always appreciative of her counsel - now more than ever. His white-tipped tail gave a soft wag, and Quicksilver went on to share his vision of the Stone Watch: to be decorated in soft shades, with scented flowers as beautiful and pale as his bride-to-be, and with Hieronymous by his side as friend.

When the discussion came to an end, the sterling medic was eager to proceed with preparing, but not without expressing his appreciation. “Thank you, Ira,” he told her, heartfelt, “for everything.”

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top