Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
You've Got Something Coming

Afternoon
Group Only
Elkshire
Adventurer
05-04-2022, 01:35 AM
please let @Edith post first!! otherwise aw

It had never been the Prince's intention to stray for so long without word to home. He had intended to leave and gain a teacher, yes, but said teacher kept them far more busy than he anticipated. @Vengeance's teachings differed from Reumus' yet both were brutal in their own sense. Even as his stay grew long, Calhoun meant what he had told @Warwick. Elkshire would forever be his home...even if that meant an extended trip became a "study abroad".

Having been given a moment's rest, he would drag Edith back to familiar woods to see what they had missed. Unlike his venture out, finding their way home had come rather easily. He only needed to follow the scent of His Apostles and blooming apple trees that sat along outer woods. To his surprise, they managed to make it quite far without running into a familiar face. He had worked his magic to time the patrols best he could so they could make it to the Crown without trouble, but even here they did not find their mother right away.

Everyone had been running around with their heads cut off when he left so why had they quieted now? Surely they hadn't been forgotten? Strange, don't cha think? Mother often patrols. He would allow his thoughts to be voiced freely, though they were only carried just above a whisper. She wasn't gone, he could still smell her scent, though it staled along each set of borders they crossed.

the staff team luvs u
Elkshire
Adventurer
05-09-2022, 09:03 PM
It was strange returning to Elkshire. Edith hadn’t expected to return so soon—or, rather, she hadn’t mentally prepared herself to face what she’d left behind—so she was surprised when Calhoun decided to visit. She had met his idea with some resistance. They’d been training hard, and she was sore all over; the journey would only add to her muscles' dull and constant strain. Eventually, he had managed to drag her out of the territory when he had brought up Warwick. Edith missed him and wanted to convince him to join them in Blackwood Reach.

She was surprised how much brighter the world was outside of Vengeance’s claim. Edith had flinched when they’d breached the borders, and it took longer for her eyes to adjust to the light than she had expected. The air was fresher smelling, and it was strange to not smell the reek of death.

Their trip went quicker and was less arduous than she had anticipated. They’d made quick work through the grasslands that separated the Nightwalker’s claim from the Royal Wisterian Woodlands. The neutral territory was flat and full of prey. Though she did smell the various wolf-scents, Edith also noted the abundance of prey. She made a note to return here to suss out the land further. Edith would start hunting here when they returned from their venture if they proved to be as fruitful as they appeared to be.

Edith knew they were home when she spotted the familiar tangle of oak, redwood, birch, maple, and pine—the woods stood proudly, awaiting their arrival. She could smell the prey that the forest lacked—the moose, turkey, and rabbits—and she began to salivate. She paused once she’d begun to drool, swiping a forepaw to wipe away the spit. As she cleaned herself, Calhoun mentioned the absence of their mother’s scent. Curious and wanting to confirm this for herself, she lifted her snout and sniffed. He was right.

”Very,” she answered, drawing in another nose-full of smells. ”Seems like it’s been a few days, too.” This was extremely out of character. ”Maybe she got sick,” she guessed, ”didn’t you say that she was bloated?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-09-2022, 09:39 PM
The corners of his mouth turned as Edith too confirmed his findings. It was highly unusual for the Queen, so much so that he dared recheck for scents as he pressed forward. Perhaps...though we left nearly a moon ago. I'd think sickness would have run its course by now. If she was sick then she had to be the only one since otherwise the borders seemed maintained. Would you rather call and ask or find Warwick? Even though it was their true home he held no desire to seek out anyone individual aside from their missing piece and he suspected Edith felt the same. Unfortunately, they would not have the luxury of picking soon enough. If they hadn't been found yet then surely someone would find their trail and be on their tails any minute now.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-09-2022, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2022, 10:37 PM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
Edith hadn’t realized that an entire moon had already passed—how had that happened? She lost herself for a minute, questioning how an entire month had slipped away, and only resumed the conversation when Calhoun asked how they should go about their mission. ”Let’s find him,” she answered quickly, scanning the trodden trail ahead of them. Like her brother, Edith had no desire to run into anybody else. ”If we’re lucky, he’ll be patrolling.” At least, she hoped he was making his rounds. They had easily snuck in—who knew what’d happen if an actual threat came through?

”—Wait,” she said, halting as her nostril began to flare. There was a familiar scent on the gentle breeze, one which she remembered from their infancy. Edith looked to Calhoun, wide-eyed with disgust. ”Is that the smell of milk?” Despite her sharp nose, she still hadn’t connected the pieces. She assumed somebody else had given birth.

”Who got permission to breed?” Elkshire was falling apart without them.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-09-2022, 11:08 PM
The elken boy would have been satisfied following alongside his sister, though she stopped suddenly as she seemed to reaccess lingering scents. He stared with a puzzled expression before ultimately looking for the faint traces on the wind. There were many women in Elkshire, maybe it wasn't so strange for another to mother, but there had been none he thought interested in bearing children. It wouldn't be the strangest thing, I guess. Mother had allowed far worse crimes to occur within the pack.

No one probably. Mother likely spared them for their insolence. Frankly, he wasn't sure why she followed His way so loosely. She always tried to make it sound ok, but it was her who had explained His importance in the first place. It was almost as if she only followed the guiding light when she saw fit, but what benefit was there to turn your back on a long-standing protector? Come on. We weren't lucky to time the patrols. They'll figure out what we've done before long.

the staff team luvs u
05-10-2022, 03:41 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

Not a day went passed when he had not thought of his missing siblings. Not even an hour could bypass his thoughts of their welfare and wellbeing. Had Calhoun gone in search of their father, or had he got lost in search of Edith? He felt so many questions unanswered. As for the third sibling, Aldritch, he was a lost soul and he doubted the grey child had selflessly gone astray to look for their sister since that night.

With their queen finally on the mend, he'd rove the courts that housed the elk. Many of the cows were soon to drop their calves, and he found himself lingering close by to them more than once before sunset. Feeling he had somewhat failed as a brother, he would suit up as guardian to the children of their High Elk. 

He was trailing away from them now, and in doing so, by fate, he saw up ahead two familiars.

Thank our High Elkthe duke whispered, his mouth agape with the emotional surprise ahead of him. And then he ran, before it materialised they were but a mirage of his endless thoughts of the duo. 

'Brother!', he called first, but within a beat, as he drew closer he called out the beloved sister, 'Edith!'.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-10-2022, 07:32 PM
Edith snorted in agreement. ”Her thought process is confusing,—” she remarked with a tsk, ”—I’m sure that He would agree.” The High Elk warned them of white creatures, yet Célnes had accepted pales apostles with open arms. It was embarrassing how much their mother had strayed from His light and guidence.

Calhoun prompted Edith to follow and she complied, feeling an edge of urgency. Their time was limited if anybody was patrolling—and it seemed as though their luck had run out. She noticed Warwick by the sound of his footsteps, and she turned and saw the familiar figure of their brother approaching. Edith’s tail began to whip to and fro, and a whine escaped her; she had missed him.

It was out of character for her to show enthusiasm, but this was a special occasion. ”Warwick!” she replied, keeping her voice low and she pranced towards him. Then, without hesitation once she was close enough, Edith threw herself at Warwick and wrapped her arms around his neck to pull him into a hug. 

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-11-2022, 08:32 PM
Calhoun practically scoffed in agreement as he muttered the following words under his breath, That's one way to put it. Their mother was no moron though, even if she was foolish for her actions. She wasn't feeding them information due to neglect or mistakes in her belief, she did so intentionally. I think the High Elk sees it beyond confusing. He may have already sent a warning... Still he had not shared his dream with any of his siblings, not even Edith and Warwick, but he did not let the details slip from his mind. Perhaps if they had been more alone he would have said something more, but he didn't trust the privacy of these woods to share what he wished to speak.

Luckily, or...maybe unluckily, their brother was fast to find them. Where Edith moved to embrace the third, Calhoun would merely stand and wait with a smile. He was of course happy to see Warwick, but he had always been a bit less touchy than even Edith. You look well, Brother. I hope you weren't holding your breath on my promise. It was as he said, he would always come back, even if this stay were only temporary. Honestly, he was surprised Warwick hadn't left to look for them, but then again he made it clear he wasn't as keen on traveling alone beyond the safety of known woods alone.

the staff team luvs u
05-12-2022, 07:35 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

The High Elk had been merciful. It was not his over-active imagination fooling him. He felt the rush and warmth from his sister's embrace, solidifying their true presence. He wrapped his own paws around her, his happiness replicating her own. 'Edith you've grown soft', he laughed, the elk prince knew his sister too well to know she was not one to be so affectionate. His eyes searched for his brother over her shoulder, and his smile broadened when seeing his other missing sibling. 'A promise I dread the moment you do not keep', and the duke knew what was implied and he was not too proud in this emotional moment to admit. 'I have missed you both'. 

He withdrew from his sister's hold (if she had not broken their clutch first). 'You found one another?', he eyed them both, ready to hear their story to tell. And while he waited he gave each a once over, for clues and signs of neglect or brawl.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
05-14-2022, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2022, 04:05 PM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
”You wish Edith chided in reply as she tried to worm out of Warwick’s hold. However, she paused when he spoke again and fixed him with a shit-eating grin. ”Ah,” she mused as she broke his hold on her and bounced back a step, shaking her coat. ”I think you’re the one that’s grown soft.” It felt good to be missed.

Edith glanced at Calhoun when Warwick asked about the nature of their reunion. ”He found me, actually,” she admitted. ”I went missing because of father. He had come to the forest, and I had caught him while I was patrolling,” she frowned as she spoke, ”He proved to me that Remus’s training is not enough—he almost killed me proving his point.”

”So I went with him. I had no other choice.”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-17-2022, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2022, 10:42 PM by Calhoun. Edited 5 times in total.)
Even now Edith held to her dramatic retelling of her recent remeeting with their father. Calhoun would only roll his eyes behind her back, though this time said nothing as she continued. You already know my reasons for staying with Edith. While Mother and Remus coddle our younger siblings I'd rather grow my strengths instead of hinder them. They could play catchup all they liked, as they should, but it was unfair for their lagging developments to slow the progress of their successful siblings. Father has been training us personally for combat. If you've decided the trip to Blackwood is no longer terrifying then you should join us. Perhaps if their company alone was not enough to sway him, a challenge would be. It was rare for the three to be apart and the absence of their brother was one he too had felt in their month away. They are a holy trio, it's only right they stay together.

the staff team luvs u
05-19-2022, 05:52 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

He didn't mind the fact his sister saw his emotional side; it was good to have them both back. Whilst they all shared a healthy sibling rivalry with competition, it was evidently no secret that all three missed one another. Though, such affectionate and open-hearted interactions were rare between them.

His eyes bounced between the duo, each, in turn, recounting the tale with their own perceptions. His face creased and eyes narrowed when his sister unveiled their sires' initial intentions. 'He tried to kill you and held you captive?', it wasn't what Edith mentioned, but it was how Warwick perceived it, already having unnerving thoughts of their sire and this did not help. He then looked at Calhoun, 'If you were both within his charge, he could've at least sent a messenger to keep us informed', and by us, he meant himself, as mother seemed far too preoccupied to have sent any further search parties for any of his missing siblings, since that first night.

He then darted a wry smirk between the two at his brother's remarks. 'First you can both show me, and if you can beat me in a spar, then I may consider it'. He countered his brother's unspoken challenge.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-19-2022, 09:12 PM
Edith shook her head. "No, he said that I was willing to go between packs whenever I wished to," she answered, "I went with him because he showed me how inexperienced I was, and I wanted him to train me personally." Remus was half the teacher that Vengenace was. 

Warwick tried to reason that their father should have sent a messenger, and she shrugged. "He doesn't really care about us," she said halfheartedly, glancing at Calhoun for validation. "We're not his only kids, either. He's got a shitton of them." Edith thought about @Lilith for a split second and seethed; her life would be infinitely better if that snot-nosed bitch were out of the picture. 

"Two versus one? That seems awfully unfair," she remarked, crouching down and beginning to stalk clockwise 'round her brother. Edith glanced at Calhoun then, seeking some sort of indication of his plan. He was the better fighter between them, but she would never admit it.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-19-2022, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2022, 10:58 PM by Calhoun. Edited 2 times in total.)
Cal let their sister do the talking. There really wasn't much to say about Vengeance, not yet at least. He had never expected a picture-perfect father. Nothing about their family was picture perfect and the more he put together the pieces the more that image fell apart. Father had an army of children, each as expendable as the last and they had only been born for their mother's glory. Glory he wasn't so certain shone in the High Elk's light.

Unlike Mother, our Father pays attention to those with potential. If you're weak you won't last. If you're strong your limits are continuously pressed. The way things maybe should be, or at least a balance between the two leaning more towards fanning the flames of those who will actually do something with that fire. A half-smirk pulled at the side of his lips at Warwick's challenge. Edith was right, it was hardly fair for him to face both with their extra training, but that was the challenge he had issued, wasn't it?

The reds of his eyes shifted to Edith as she moved to circle behind Warwick before his gaze ultimately fell back to their brother. Unlike their sister, he did not move instead opting to stand like a sentinel as he eyed the elder prince. Hardly. He'd chime in addition to Edith. They could go easy on the prince, but when had they ever not given their best amongst themselves? No fit when you lose. You issued the challenge.

To be continued here! 

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top