Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
He'd be fine pretending

AW
05-02-2022, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 03:23 AM by Leviathan1. Edited 1 time in total.)
The man moved through the new land, sniffing the air as he moved. Everything was different and new, the air was different and the scents were strange. He... he hated it. Perhaps it was because all he knew was Nightwalkers and to him, the forest was home. Here, to ground was vertical, though at least the trees were lush. If it would have been a bare and empty land, he might have lost his fucking mind. 

He was still young and, when alone, he was scared. Of course, he would never let another know that. Right now though, alone with his own thoughts, he was sad. He found a spot facing towards the water and sat himself down, his shoulders heavy with a sigh. Quietly, the man would start to shake, silent tears racking his body. His home was gone, his family wouldn't ever take him in. Granted, he was never the closest to his family, but damn it, he missed them. His brothers and sisters? He would never see them again. Mom and dad? Would likely kill him if he saw them again. But there was no going back now.

the staff team luvs u
He does. He speaks. He thinks.
WARNING: 3-3-3 Character
Counsellor
05-02-2022, 03:29 AM
^^There was an odd, faint scent in the mountains lately; something that reminded her of that nice gentlemen fellow and lovely lady from the south forest, where she’d found the Jewelweed for the festival. She knew this scent, though not terribly well, but still - a scent she knew and did not expect to find here.

What she found was a younger male, actively shaking. She couldn’t see his face, since she was approaching him from behind, but she knew the smell of sadness. Not quite her type of sadness, but sadness was a language she was, regretfully, fluent in.

Slowly, she approached him from behind, aiming to curl her larger body around him to comfort him, grooming the back of his neck - or anywhere, if he would allow - as she sang a gentle, russian tune.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-02-2022, 03:39 AM
The boy had been so deep into his own sad thoughts that he hadn't realized that another had approached him. His eyes had been closed and he thought silently to himself, though he knew how Amata would make fun of him for this. Hopefully she would never know though. Which is why, when a heat source wrapped itself around him, the man would snap instantly, a soft growl escaping him as he turned quickly to the stranger with hackles raised and ears pinned. He flashed his fangs towards her in defense, however he almost instantly would freeze, realizing that this lady was comforting him which was.. odd. Was she doing this to make fun of him? 

The soft gentle song in a language he didn't know seemed to comfort him and he wasn't really sure why. He blinked a few times in confusion, looking up at her as if he expected her to yell at him, snap at him to deal with it, or make fun of him. But, it didn't come yet. This was all just a ruse to lull him into a false sense of security in order for her to teach him a lesson, wasn't it? "If you're going to yell at me for this shit, just do so. This sweet ruse you're doing isn't going to do anything." The mistrust was clear in his voice, though he didn't move away from the warmth of her body. At least not yet.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
05-02-2022, 03:50 AM
^^The crying, shaking boy turned to snarl at her; scary teeth exposed, and ear flattened. He’d been caught off guard, it would seem, almost as if he’d been expecting to find someone else behind him, comforting him.

Harper did not move; she did not growl, she did not raise her hackles, but merely looked up at him with her own sadness in her eyes. Would the two speak to each other, or would he continue to lash out aggressively, as if this was some sort of ploy to get him to trust her?

Her ears lowered, and she, too, lowered her head to her paws and offered the saddest whimper of a whine that she could muster.

“I’m sorry.”

That was it; that was all she said and perhaps it was all he needed to hear.

Harper, who had never housed a single maternal feeling in her entire life, suddenly wished she could hug him so tight that all of his broken pieces melted into one.
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-03-2022, 04:41 PM
The confusion was clear on his face, he wasn't sure how to handle this situation. He had expected her to retaliate to his snapping but instead, she looked at him with a look that he understood. For the longest time, he stared at her, mouth open as he tried to gather his thoughts into some sort of sentence. It clearly wasn't working as he sat there with his mouth open looking like a fish. Finally, he would shake his head, as if he were trying to shake off his confusion so he could actually have a conversation. 

Still though, he words came out and no thoughts came to mind. This feeling of calm was new to him, having never really shown emotion that he could really think of. None other than anger and hate. Slowly, he would glance around, as if he still expected someone to see this. After coming to the conclusion that they were alone, he would slowly sink into her body, letting himself relax into the warmth of this stranger. 

"Why are you doing this?" He spoke softly, his voice barely audible as he glanced down at his paws, unsure if he wanted to know the answer.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
05-03-2022, 04:52 PM
^^There was silence and confusion (on Levi’s part) for a very long time, and Harper supposed that she could understand his confusion. He smelled of Mystery, and the Handsome Gentlemen, of Nightwalker and already knew he was far from home; gathering that she was a stranger showing him a kindness he probably felt like he didn’t deserve.

He had expected her to yell or scold him for showing emotion, and instead, was given a look into her sadness that not even Valeska got to see. She nervously licked at her lips and inhaled deeply, but she didn’t look away.

He came to sink into her, and Harper slowly began to groom over him again; this time, curling her larger body around his, protectively. She was silent for many moments, just soothing him with her touch and eventually coming to lay her head over his shoulder.

“No one deserves to suffer alone. Why is Nightwalker sad?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-03-2022, 05:21 PM
There was a big problem with her showing kindness to him. As he finally relaxed into her and he felt her curl up around him, he now had no plans on leaving. Why would he want to leave this protective bubble that he had found? Closing his yes, he let her curl around him, his body relaxing slowly as his breaths slowed. He wasn't yet asleep but was close to it. Even as she asked a question, it took him a moment to register what she said. Wait, she knew he was a Nightwalkers? That was even more confusing as to why she was being nice to him. His parents were necessarily the nicest of wolves, so he had figured if anything, they would have made enemies everywhere they went. 

However, now that he was cuddle into her warmth, he had no plans on leaving and only lifted his head, glancing at her as she place her head on his shoulder. "You know where I'm from and are still nice to me?" He sighed for a moment before shrugging slightly. "I know it's stupid, but I miss home and I miss my family. I ended up following the girl I love and she got us into this mess. Honestly though, I'm not mad at her, I would follow her anywhere if she let me. But, I still miss home. I know I will never be accepted back." He didn't know why he told his stranger everything that was on his mind, but once he realized he did, the boy would let out a soft warning snarl, though it was clearly half-hearted. "If you tell anyone about this, I will kill you." His threat was hardly there, but it was something he was used to.

the staff team luvs u
05-03-2022, 07:51 PM
^^Much, much much… unlike her sister, Harper had never encountered the boy’s father and had only ever met nice, caring Nightwalker wolves, though she had a deep suspicion that they were vastly unkind.To Harper, it did not matter where one was from, or who birthed who - the idea of an aggressive pack was just unfathomable to her.

She listened to his story, though, nodding her head to show that she was actively listening as she began to groom him again - though pausing as his pity-snarl sounded, Harper tried to invison a world where she would allow a child to take her life.

And in the loveless life, - the life without Crux - Harper smiled. She was much larger than he was, at least, right now. He was not a threat, and likely, never would be, since he had gotten away from his aggressive-natured pack at an early age. Nonetheless, she’d look Achmed in the eyes.

“I am sorry you were raised in such a way that you must feel the need to threaten everyone you meet,” Harper said softly with the shake of her head. It was pathetic, really, that this was how he’d come to thank her. Now, mind you, Harper wasn’t so entitled that she needed to be thanked, but there was a bit of a disconnect with caring for him, only for him to turn around and threaten her life - especially when she was in the position to grab his thin little neck and crush his windpipe.

Instead she would bark a laugh and turn her head in such a way that her neck was exposed to him. “You’d be doing the world a favor, I’m sure.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-03-2022, 08:03 PM
The boy knew he couldn't do anything to the woman if he tried to, he was much too small and even though he talked a big game, he really hadn't fought very much in his short life. That didn't mean that he didn't feel like he was expected to learn, or pretend that he actually did know. However, even as he snarled at her, he most certainly wasn't expecting her reaction. Her words caused him to stop snarling, hitting hard as he thought about his family. As much as he did miss them, she was right. He honestly thought all packs and families were like that. Apparently he was wrong though. 

Blinking as he pulled himself out of his own thoughts, he watched her with confusion as she bared his neck towards him. Her words made his heart hurt and after a moment of hesitation, he pushed his face into her neck, aggressively nuzzling into him. It seemed that even as he was trying to comfort her, or show kindness, he did mostly everything in an over the top or aggressive way. Even now, he shove his whole face into her fur, muttering softly from where he burrowed. "You're too kind for where I'm from and you're certainly too good for this world. If you died, the world would grow grey." He would keep himself nuzzled into her, almost like a lost child who had found his mother.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
05-03-2022, 11:38 PM
^^Would the boy have the balls to tear into the throat of the lady who was comforting him, simply because she knew he was or had been a Nightwalker? Harper envisioned how that might go, with Elysium. Would the two packs, Northfall and Elysium, go to war over her death? Would the boy be exiled for attacking and killing the healer of Kuhn?

If you died, the world would grow grey. Oh, but the world already was - Harper’s love for Crux, and love for all things, excluding the love for her sister had been extinguished; only her love for her sister remained - and the love for her friends, which was - at this moment - just Kuhn.

“Ah, so you’s a poet.” Harper mused, caught completely off guard as he actually did lunge forward to – was he nuzzling her? Slowly, Harper turned to look at him, blinking in utter confusion on how he could go from threatening her life to… to saying something very sweet, and nuzzling her.

“There be nothing wrong with missing family, but if they not accept you - then СКАТЕРТЬЮ ДОРОГА!” Harper huffed, leaning down to lick him square on the forehead. “You’s can go out, make yer own family. I has a big brodder here, named Kuhn, for example.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-04-2022, 01:06 AM
The woman was confusing him, though at this point he had really stopped thinking about it anymore and instead found comfort nuzzled into her. However, her words made him back up, cocking his head to the side in confusion. "Do a what now? Was that a spell?" He didn't mean to sound aggressive, but he was confused and that new language startled him a little bit. As she spoke about making a new family though, his ears would pin back and his eyes would widen, a blush would cover his face if only wolves could blush. 

"Hey now, I'm not sure that's entirely what I should be doing." He would clear his throat and shake his head, instantly taking the conversation elsewhere as he looked up at her. He could tell she was also sad and though he was terrible at doing this comfort shit, he figured he might as well try. "Is ... are you.... what's.... you good?" He winced slightly at his own words, hating how he stumbled over that, but his eyes were sincere, actually wanting to know what happened to her. Maybe he could bite whoever hurt her. That would work.

the staff team luvs u
05-04-2022, 01:20 AM
^^Harper could turn her attention to him as he cocked his head to the side; confused men were adorable, and this one was no different. He hadn’t understood the words, of course, and Harper smiled softly. “Twas russian for good riddance,; not a spell that I know.” Harper would shrug with the curious arch of her brows as he pinned his ears back.

“Why’s not? You say your blood won’t accept you. So make one that will or that does.” She hadn’t really meant love making, but if that’s were his mind drifted to, then so be it. He was a child, though, so Harper wasn’t exactly trying to coax him into having children. “The right friends can become family, no?”

Harper would muse, blinking at her tried to comfort her. A child, trying to comfort Harper, in her sadness. What an odd feeling. Her ears lowered and she nuzzled into him with a smile, though forced. “I’d like to think that I will be, one day.”

As in, on the day that her heart stops beating.
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-07-2022, 07:18 PM
The boy cocked his head to the side, listening to what the odd words she used meant. Slowly, he would try his best to repeat it, though very choppy in his words. "СHА-ТЕР-ТЬЮ ДО-РОO-ГА!" He certainly said some parts wrong, but hey, he tried his best and that's what matters. He turned his gaze back up at hers and he found himself relaxing, finally understanding what she had meant. Still, he didn't think that running up to Amata and screaming 'Be my family' would work well for him. Nonetheless, perhaps he should try better with his relationship towards her. But his main concern was that she would make fun of him. 'What a stupid fear' he thought silently, but pulled his head out of his own thoughts to look up at the broken woman. 

He narrowed his eyes at her slightly, not believe what she said at all. "You don't really believe that." He accused, watching her for a moment. "How can you go around telling others it will be okay and all that sappy bullshit when you don't even believe it yourself?" He huffed slightly, eyes narrowed though within them was something akin to caring, hidden deep beneath his confusion.

the staff team luvs u
05-16-2022, 05:37 AM
^^Children were an interesting thing, always wanting to learn. She mused this softly as she listened to him repeat the words in wonder if he was trying to tell her to get lost in her own tongue.

Yet, he did not get angry with her for not moving. Instead, he accused her of not believing the same words that left her mouth. Harper smiled with a chuckle and a flash of her teeth. “I uh, I just need more time, is all. I hurt from a different type of pain that takes a longer time to get over, is all.”

Please don't make her say it.
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-22-2022, 12:46 AM
He didn't entirely understand what she was getting at, which was clear as he narrowed his eyes and cocked his head to the side in confusion. He would sniff her slightly, wondering if she had an illness or something. "Did you like, break your arm or something?" He didn't understand heartbreak the way she had experienced it, but it was clear he was curious. Still, he didn't push it too hard, just trying to figure it own on his own which, lets be honest, wasn't really working very well.

the staff team luvs u
05-22-2022, 08:25 PM
^^Leviathan’s question caused a slight confusion until she remembered that he had snarled at her on impulse, and threatened to kill her although - cmon, let’s be real; he wasn’t really capable of killing anything that wasn’t meant for food, now was he? So she supposed jumping to the idea of a broken bone was acceptable.

It wasn’t a bone that was broken, but rather, her heart — and how did Harper explain that to someone who didn’t know a lick about love and compassion? He felt a longing for his family, so he wasn’t totally emotionless.

“I broke something that doesn’t have bones.” And quite honestly, she wasn’t sure if she’d ever get over a loss as profound as Crux.
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-24-2022, 09:33 PM
The boy cocked his head to the side slightly, curiosity clear in his face. After a few moments, he cocked his head to the other side, trying to understand what the woman was talking about. How do you break something that doesn't have bones? If it wasn't a bone then it couldn't be broken.... right? You could tear and rip it, but not break it. "What did you break? Can it be healed?" He wanted to help his new found mentor, but he didn't know how. "Show me how to help." He would sit himself up, puffing out his chest as he tried to show that he would be capable of helping if she let him. Regardless of the fact that he still didn't understand what she broke, he wanted to help.

the staff team luvs u
05-24-2022, 11:04 PM
^^Dear lord, Harper’s broken little heart just grew three sizes larger as Leviathan literally just transformed into the cutest little shit she had ever seen. The most heartbreaking thing about all of this, was that he belonged to Northfall, and not Elysium, and she couldn’t take him home to train him - not that she had a very good track record with that.

So he sat up, and puffed his chest out looking adorable as possibly could be. “I’m heartbroken, kiddo.” Harper said softly, standing up straight like he did, assuming he wanted to play doctor on her.

“It can be healed, but it takes a while, and sometimes, a very long time.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
06-06-2022, 12:29 AM
The boy cocked his head to the side slightly, not really understanding what she was talking about. Heartbroken? Was that like what he was feeling about his family? For a moment he remained quiet, thinking about everything silently. He wanted to help her but didn't know how. She had helped him through this so he wanted to know what he could do to help. 

After a few moments, he would speak up. "Well, maybe we can fix each other's broken heart together?" He was no longer angry, or hurt. Instead, he wanted to learn more about this woman and really wanted to help her. He didn't know why, but he did.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top