Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
Excuse me, I'm just here to admire the scenery

Early Morning Sunny/Clear 60° F
Group Only
Adventurer
Warcrest
04-26-2022, 10:46 PM
Renegade was back back to the constant shifting sea of sand, as he was trying to see just how far north and south it went. He was doing some reconnaissance and to see if there was a less harsh connection to lands farther east. So far the answer seemed no and that could be a problem if ever a day would arise where Renegade and his harem would have to go east to escape a threat or danger from the west pushing them to go east and safety. There was safety but no sanctuary or ability to get away from the constant beating sun. 

The large half draft paint was lucky that he smelled the water and so decided to track it down. This small watering hole as it was smaller than the plains type would do him good for at least today he would have to remember it and so use it as a sort of forward base so as to extend his many future exploratory treks into the still unknown desert. He cautiously took a few steps before he got to the edge of the water and doing one more scan around didn't see or hear nothing, then dipped his head down and started to drink. It felt good to finally be able to do this and unwind from traveling out of the west and the plains. 

He did smell wolf but it was a faint smell and wasn't super strong so it seemed they was around. Renegade after a couple of minutes lifted his head and satarted to walk the edge of the pool to a few stands of grasses at the edge and started to cut them down and eat them. He would stay here for the day and when it became twilight then to move probably back west and home as he was sure there was no such easy or safe corridor that would allow him or his harem to go farther east without going through this harsh, hot and no shelter from the sun desert. He now felt like there was eyes on him but he couldn't pick up a scent. If the wind or breeze was blowing he would of had his head right into it so as to allow it to carry any into his over size and sensitive nares. He snorted and so tried to pick up what was close or anything around and so discern what it was.

@Satan
 OOC: Warcrest can come and say hi to Renegade.
the staff team luvs u
04-27-2022, 01:50 PM
The man needed a moment away from the pack, a chance to think without someone coming to him with issues. He knew he was the one in charge, but every now and then even he needed a breather. Typically, he would use this time to search around for another member, never really caring if it was willing or not. However, as he made his way down to the oasis, he saw a creature that he hadn't seem since he arrived at this new place.

With a curious hum, the man would walk down to the water, intentionally stopping only about a foot or two away from the creature. His muscles were tense and, as per usual, his back, neck and chest were covered his blood as well as his muzzle and paws. It was his way of staying away from the sun that would cook his albino pelt. Lowering himself, he would begin to lap at the water, though watched the horse closely. He knew many horses were chicken shit and upon seeing him, would typically run away like little bitches. Silently, he wondered if this one was the same way.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 594e2082-689d-11ed-b829-057c57b7de88.gif]
04-28-2022, 10:47 AM
Never a dull moment and it also never failed when Renegade just wanted to doze off for a while. He was looking for the best spot so as to remain under shade for most of the day. That was when a stronger scent was around and it matched up with one of the older ones. Now he started to look, listen and sniff for just where this wolf was. He wasn't going to allow it to circle behind and strike as having one of his rear legs injured and so not working right would be a death sentence trying to get back to the plains. He started to sniff and so hope to track down where this wolf was at, so far it seemed this was the only one. Cutting across he was frantically looking on just where this wolf was at, as the longer it took the longer it was probably circling and so setting up an ambush, or even a blocking attempt and so holding Reny here until more showed up.

The large chestnut painted horse looked around the perimeter of the oasis but he should of looked right around the pool of water first. There at the edge he seen the crouched form of a white pelted wolf. Renegade just pinned his ears and bared teeth. He was not going to have it think he was an easy mark to take down. He also didn't know if more of his kind would also show up at any moment. He could smell 3 others and something else that was totally different. What it was the horse had no idea other than it was big and feline. He then decided to stand still while looking every once and a while around him making sure no others was closing in around him. Renegade then barked.

" If you was thinking I was an easy or weak and sick target think again flea bag! I know there is also more of your kind here, so as long as you don't attack then I'll do likewise. All I'm trying to do is to see just how far east this never ending sea of sand goes as I don't think it goes forever like some suggest."

Renegade still was dead set on looking at the wolf and not allowing it out of his sight not at the least. He then decided to let out a loud snort to show his displeasure of it stumbling in here and interrupting his attempt at resting for the day. Now he was wondering just how long this stare down would last, he was hoping not long as all he needed was about six hours two sleeping and the rest just without any stress and he would be able to continue. But he already had it in his mind to head back to the plains. Then try for the far north as a possible land bridge, as he thought it was probably not as hot as the southern regions of this desert.
the staff team luvs u
04-29-2022, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 01:06 PM by Satan.)
The man would hold in a chuckle as he watched the horse franticly looking around. What an idiot. It would be so easy to attack him now, loving how quickly he was looking around when the brute was damn near standing in front of him. Was this why horses didn't make it long? Probably. 

After what seemed like ages, the horse finally saw him and the pathetic attempt to look scary made the man laugh, pushing himself up to stand. Pink eyes never left the stallion, though amusement was clear on his face. "You do realize that while you were blinding looking around, I could have easily taken your legs out, right? The fact that I didn't means that at least for now, you're safe." He would flick his ears slightly as he moved to sit down, seeming to not really care about the horse though his body was tense. 

"I could care less why you are here, but know that you should watch your step here. The sand is always shifting, one wrong move and those weak ankles of your could break. That certainly would be.... lethal." He licked his snout as he said that, eyes burning as he watched the male. "If you find yourself stumbling upon my lands, know that I will not let you walk away as I'm letting you now." The warning was clear and Satan would most certainly check the lands later to see if the Gods had blessed him with a free meal.

the staff team luvs u
05-02-2022, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2022, 12:12 AM by Renegade. Edited 1 time in total.)
Oh was this puppy dog threatening him?  Or was it that this flea bag thought Renegade was somewhat of a push over. Yes either way all the horse had to do was drop right on top of the less than friendly hound and roll, then problem solved. Renegade was about to just whinney and walk away laughing. That was until this white wolf decided to add that he wouldn't let Renegade walk away like he was allowing him to do now. Oh was this how it was going to be. An agitated snort left the chestnut tobiano stallion. Then he looked down right at the white wolf eyes narrowing and then spoke dryly.

" Oh you don't have to worry about my ankles at all, as if they got me this far they shouldn't have no problems getting me back home. Now as far as the threat of saying you are letting me go, all I got to say is it is not wise ticking off a beast that outweighs you by 12 times and also out sizes you. So watch how you talk as I would hate to trip over you by accident as I head for the exit here. Now since we got the pleasantries out of the way I guess we can exchange names. I am Renegade, so what is your name, or can I just call you flea bag and be done."

Renegade was not liking this wolf one ioda nothing about him said nice or calm or friendly by any stretch of the mind. He still didn't like how this unknown wolf was eyeing him or speaking to him for that matter. Now if he smelled or seen another wolf or this cat what ever it was then he would turn tail and run and hope that he was quick enough to get a good bit of distance between them as being out numbered in this area could be a big problem as it didn't allow Reny any way to keep them at bay and so charge out of here at a full gallop with the shrubs and trees being close together like they was. But he also wasn't about to let this joker out of his sight either as like the wolf said he could go and blind side the stallion pretty easy.
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-09-2022, 10:36 PM
The man was getting tired of this, eyes narrowing at the mouthy prey that found himself in front of him. A low growl escaped his lips as he slowly began to stand up. "I'm only giving you the chance to leave this one time, don't make me sorry for that. Your twigs that you call legs may have gotten you this far, but you're in my land now. I regularly take down camels and you think that you will be any different? That's cute." He raised his hackles, making himself look larger than he already was and his ears flattened against the top of his head. 

He was tired of this idiotic creature and was clearly on his last nerve. "I don't care about names, prey, leave now or you will become the next four course meal for my pack." He started to inch closer to the horse, still giving the man a way out, for now at least. His tail was raised high as his body tensed. "And if you think you can take me down, I have no qualms with bringing my pack in. It'll be a good lesson for everyone." His thread was clear in the air and he wasn't playing around. 

He was giving the last warning for the creature to leave with his life as Satan had no problems with getting a few broken bones in order to take down this overgrown cow.

the staff team luvs u
05-12-2022, 12:03 AM
Did this little yapper of a dog just go up and threaten Renegade, oh hell no he didn't this almost caused the horse to pin his ears flat and snarl with a deep growl of his own. When this wolf went on to say that he was only given Reny just this once to leave or he would have no problems calling in his pack to attack the horse. Oh this was way to much for the massive equine to allow to go on without a rebuff. He needed to now answer this as if Renegade did not he could never look himself in the face the next time he took a drink at the watering hole. No he just had to open his big trap and spit out an angry response and a threat of his own.

" Now why did you have to go down this path huh? So since you like to make threats then I also respond in kind with mine. If you even come and go against any that I hold dear and true, I'll make sure you'll regret it. If you go after any of my mares, I'll make sure you walk with a limp for the rest of your miserable life. And if you go after any of my foals, I suggest you look down, see that ground you are standing on I'm going to make sure it becomes your grave, as I put you in it!  Now I bid you good day."

And with that he spun around and cantered off towards the west and home. He then let out a loud laugh just to rub it in even more as Reny was not liking this joker not one bit. He also knew if this wolf even tried to close the distance he would turn on the coals and go in a full gallop and see just how much endurance this wolf had. Now it really was time to head back home as it seemed this far off eastern land was a dead end for himself and his harem. There was no safe land bridge to cross this endless expanse of sand and dunes.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top