Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
The Balance Sisters

Afternoon Partly Cloudy 65° F
AW
04-19-2022, 02:21 PM

She patiently waited, being perfectly still. Waiting for the right moment. Waiting and waiting. 

A large fish swum by her paws, moving slow and lazily. Now! Her paws captured it under them as her jaws came down on the fish, killing it. She lifted it up, then waded out of the river to where she and her sister had made a little clearing in some bramble. 

As she neared the bramble, her nose picked up the scent of her sister already inside. She brushed the bramble aside, and stepped into the clearing, her sister coming into view. She padded over to her, dropping the fish at her side. 

"Look at this big one, Yang." Smiling, Yin dropped down and cuddled with her sister. Focused on just the both of them and nothing else.
the staff team luvs u
✶ Yin ✶
Paladin
04-19-2022, 09:34 PM
The day had started fine all things considered. She awoke early to make for the borders in her morning patrol then spent some time with the kids over a meal. Each day they grew more independent and she couldn't help but wonder if they would even wish to remain by the time they were adults. Well, Dagr and Renn she was sure would stay, but the rest were far more adventurous or ambitious. Nevertheless, it was a scenario she did not wish to put thought into any further. Parting ways with her brood, she took to Ullarcraig for some afternoon hunting to fill the caches.

Unfortunately, her plans would have to be put on hold as she stepped deeper into the run. The scent of travelers was not uncommon here, but unlike previous days, there seemed to be a stronger trail leading along the river. She could make out more than one scent as she followed, a frown on her face as the paths seemed to cross and meander about. It wouldn't take long for her to find the makeshift structure of brambles, a clear sign whoever it was seemed content with staying despite all the pack scents nearby. Caring little for the structure or those who settled too close, she would pull brambles to give her a clear view of its inhabitants. You will not settle here. Already did she share borders with Elysium, they did not need another, especially now that Shiroshika had been forced to share their territory.

the staff team luvs u
04-20-2022, 04:05 PM
She was content to share the fish with her sister, happy they could still do that. Then, suddenly the brambles were pulled apart and there was a purplish wolf there, standing there with a look of disdain. The wolf then said they will not stay here in the bramble clearing to which she got up and bowed her head slightly. 

"I am sorry, but we didn't know anyone wouldn't want us to be here. We just... Appeared here, I guess. A day or so ago." She explained, but still stood slightly proud. "We were wandering around, and scented that there were borders. We just decided to not interfere or anything, so uh... Oh yeah! I'm sorry, I've been rambling around but we haven't told you our names yet. I'm Yang, and that's my sister Yin.

She bowed her head again, apologizing for not only being here, but also for rambling on when it was clear this wolf didn't like that. 

"And uh... We were wondering if you could tell us if any packs around here are accepting new members?"
the staff team luvs u
✶ Yang ✶
Adventurer
04-21-2022, 05:17 AM
Despite her sudden intrusion, one was quick to apologize as she explained their sudden arrival. Two more then had come to this world like many others. Perhaps the gods favored spring to pull the strings of fate and test those who worshiped them...It mattered not how or why they came, only that they still were. A short grunt was kept in her throat as golden eyes flicked over the two before casting her stare heavenward with a muted sigh.

The good news was they harbored no ill intentions nor the idea to settle in the Run. The bad, she questioned why they would linger close to so many packs instead of simply asking directly themselves if they were so inclined to join. There are a few who have settled. Mine own rests atop the mountains. Our allies have recently relocated nearby temporarily and another sits at the lake along the northern end of the range. There was no point hiding the presence of Shiroshika or Elysium. The two would simply find out one way or another and she held no desire to restrain someone to her ranks should they desire another's.

Any would likely hear your plea, though I must ask for my own what skills you might offer. If you wish to join you will not do so freely. Everyone is expected to pull their weight and better what talents they have for the prosperity of the pack. Admittedly, adding more to their numbers was tempting with boiling strife at their borders, but she would not go and accept just anyone. It was due to that strife that she must ensure each additional mouth brought something to the pack lest she wished to waste already dwindling resources.

the staff team luvs u
04-21-2022, 01:04 PM
No wonder why she'd smelled the scent of a pack on this wolf. She did hold herself like she was a pack leader. And there were two other packs around here, too. 

Then the wolf asked about their skills and talents, should they join their pack. "Well, we both have long-lasting patience and endurance, which is great for hunting prey that are hard to catch, like fish. We are also somewhat swift, able to catch rabbits or other fast prey. We do, though, mainly work in a team, so as to startle the prey and drive it towards the other. We can also swim, though I doubt we will do much of that.

The sisters hadn't really been involved with a pack, but they had been involved in a group of wolves before. Though small, the group was like a pack, so Yin knew they would do well with a pack.
the staff team luvs u
✶ Yin ✶
Adventurer
04-22-2022, 12:02 AM
Hunting was rather basic to survival. Something she'd hope any loner seeking a home within her pack could do, though if they excelled at it then there may be more to consider... Hunting together was neither a pro nor con. It was natural in packs, though it was good that they held experience in group hunts. Some loners could not say the same and learning on the job may jeopardize the hunt. No, I'm afraid there is not much opportunity for swimming. How fairs your mountain skills? It can be challenging terrain for those unfamiliar, deadly even for some. The last thing they needed was more bodies to add to the pile. And what of your goals? What is it you seek in a home or aspire to be?

the staff team luvs u
04-25-2022, 05:13 PM
"Well, we grew up lucky. We grew up in a group of wolves, not unlike that of a pack you see. But that's not what you asked. Well, Yin and I grew up in a mountainous region bordering the ocean. We always challenged ourselves and often went climbing different mountains, and other various activities to bring up our endurance and stamina, plus our strategic thinking." Yang explained as she glanced at her sister, knowing that Yin was thinking about their past life and how much they loved it. 

"To sum it all up, I guess we are slightly above average in our mountain skills." She finished her explanation, trying not to think too much about their past life.
the staff team luvs u
✶ Yang ✶
Adventurer
04-30-2022, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 03:17 PM by Ira. Edited 1 time in total.)
sorry finals week so I've been super busy/still am this should get you in the ranks though so you can do other stuff! we can assume anything in the compendium page Ira explains while they walk if you want to wrap here?

Well, it was not what she had asked, that was true, though she supposed it was enough to see how they faired. Hunters, a set of them even, would be beneficial so long as the Run was not overhunted, but surely a skilled pair knew how to manage their resources. They would be better in her ranks than taking freely and living elsewhere as well...

Very well, you may see how Vanderfell suits you. There has been tension lately should that sway your decision. We are not light-hearted, nor will we accept freeloaders. You will be expected to work so long as your body is able. Her gaze would shift between the two for any regret or reaction before continuing, I shall share more of our values as I show you the claim. Ullarcraig Run is merely our hunting grounds, no other should find a meal here. Most importantly, if you bring trouble to my borders I will not hesitate to remove you from them. They had enough worries as is without newcomers causing problems...

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top