Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I Don't Mind the Sun Sometimes

Morning
AW
04-16-2022, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 09:14 PM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Laying around for so long didn't make him feel much better. Some time after meeting @Freya, the cat looked out of the cave as the morning light began to flood in. It took him awhile to motivate himself to get up, he hadn't for a at least a day, sitting in the dark cave.

Groaning, he slowly got he feet underneath him pushing himself off the ground leg by leg. Joints that had not been moved in awhile cracked and popped, scabs that had been set in one position tore open. Slowly he stepped his way toward the mouth of the cave, squinting his eyes at the light.

Emerging into the light, the sun felt reliving, washing over him and refreshing his senses. Leaning up against a stone near the mouth of the cave for support, the cat slowly dipped down to stretch out his back. Gritting his teeth at the tightness, audible pops could be heard as his spine released some tension.
the staff team luvs u
04-18-2022, 09:44 PM
^^
set after harper arrives in Northfall

Northfall. It seemed like an entire world away from home. On the beach, further north than Ichorwood and Event Horizon had once been. Harper wondered if they just ought to relocate to the center of the mountains, so that they could be closer to everyone. It would work out better that way, at least for Harper, as she wanted to be the best medic and plant expert that there was.

Perhaps something to consider speaking to Valeska about. She’d come under guidance of Ragnar’s companion, about a red lady and the scents among Northfall indicated, too, that Kuhn was here. What was the big cat doing so far from his home?

Perhaps his canine companion had been injured, and this was the pack she was with? Harper followed the scents until she reached the cave, ears perking at the sounds of movement and joints popping, as Harper studied him for a time.

He did not look the best; not nearly as he had when they’d had their tea party. Something or someone had attacked her poor friend, and Harper felt a surge of anger hit her chest. Her hackles lifted, and Harper slowly stepped forward with a growl that she could not hold back; a protective growl over her friend.

Kuhn. Harper greeted, though there was sadness and anger in her voice; she wanted to hug him; to hold him - but instead would slowly approach him to rest her forehead against his shoulder, if he would allow, with a gentle whine.

“W-who did this to you?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-18-2022, 11:19 PM
Not having made it far from the cave, the little sun he was able to absorb was relieving. Everything still hurt like hell though, throbbing and aching.

With dulled senses, he was in his own world for a moment. Suddenly, a growl sent the cat into high alert, his whole body tensing, sending his claws into the ground. Gritting his teeth in pain at the sudden jolt, it was soon after that his mind recognized the voice, then the face. "Fuck!"

With his heart pounding, "Harper!" His voice had a bit of a growl in it, obviously on edge. Though he was glad to see her, he couldn't help but look over her shoulder, checking to see if she had any other company with her.

As she approached, it was obvious he was uncomfortable with trust right now, letting her in for the touch, but lowering his hips to the ground somewhat. The touch felt nice in a way, reassuring, though he couldn't help tensing up.

"Oh ... This?" He said, looking over himself, trying to force a smile. "I wish I had a better story. Reiko, Ira, and their slaves. They jumped me when I was heading home."
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-18-2022, 11:53 PM
^^Harper had indeed come with company, though not the canine sort. Her sister’s mate’s birb was somewhere nearby, perhaps enjoying time with the birb that had led her here. Kuhn had her attention first and foremost, glancing him over and sniffing at various places on his coat as she tried to gather the scents of his attackers.

Reiko. Ira.

Harper did not know these names, but they were her enemy. Her ears pinned against her skull and she looked up at him and his forced smile. She, too, forced a smile in return. She licked the spot on his shoulder that she had headbutted, smiling sadly towards him with the nod of her head.

“Let’s get you healed up so we can discuss 'business arrangements.' Are you in pain? Should I get something to make you feel good?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-19-2022, 12:11 AM
A ceartian relief washed over him, as he knew he was in the hands of a healer. Getting patched up would be the first step in ripping out Reiko's sick little spine. That sudden change in mindset reflected on the cat, standing up a bit taller. Yes, he was most definitely in pain, how did she know? Licking his shoulder did get the cat to relax a bit, his heart slowing down, and posture loosening.

"Umm... I think your the expert, I'll trust what you think is best.", His ear twitching, thinking about the woman's mention of buissness arrangements. He was probably going to owe her another caribou for this.
the staff team luvs u
Medic
04-22-2022, 03:11 AM
^^You’re the expert, Kuhn said, though was she really? Sure, she would gain a reputation as a healer by word of mouth from Northfall and Kuhn himself, but Harper always felt like there was more to learn; more to uncover; more to do..

“I don’t know if I can stop the pain without making you feel weird, but I can certainly stop the bleeding and cause of infection. I’ll need to clean the wounds, though.. ” As in, you know, with her tongue, in typical animal fashion. Afterwards, she would retrieve the Yarrow, and other herbs to help heal him.

“I’m so sorry that this happened to you. What will you do now?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
04-22-2022, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2022, 08:13 PM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Looking back over his shoulder, he looked at the woman, who seemed to be engaged in a craft. Seeing his wounds as a starting point of an art form. Calmer still, the big cat figured he was in good hands. "Feel weird? Like how? I mean... If you think it would help, I would try it. "

Relinquishing his body to her he shifted his weight a bit closer allowing her do do whatever she needed to do. "For now, I'll bide my time...", A bit of malice slipping through the ominous statement.
the staff team luvs u
Medic
04-24-2022, 12:18 AM
^^Harper went to work on a number of things, but mostly making sure those wounds didn’t have infections; the majority had been shallow, but there were a few that would leave their scars. The wound among his cheek-fluff/neck was tended to, first.

She would chew away any clotted fur, then grooming it gently - though not nearly as good as a feline tongue would have, but this would have to suffice. Once it was clean, she’d dab it with some Yarrow to stop the bleeding, and Fennel to prevent infection.

“Sometimes they’ll give you an upset stomach or make you see things that aren’t real. I saw a flower once that came alive in the shape of a bear. We can try those after I pre-med you for infection.”

She would nod her head softly, shoulders rolling back and taking note that he would likely seek revenge. “Me mother always said that success was the best revenge,” Harper mused quietly, for she would hate to see him dig his own grave.

And worse, she wouldn't be able to bear it, if she found herself having to say goodbye to him, too.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Hunter
04-24-2022, 06:02 PM
The big cat did his best to hold himself up straight, sit still and avoid 'fighting back'.   Lashing around the ground his tail told of his discomfort, as the woman tended to him. Every once and awhile letting out an involuntary growl or pressing his claws into the ground. Though, deep down, it was a relief to have someone take care of this.  

"Oh? They sound like they could be pretty interesting...", forgetting about the discomfort of the care he was getting, these strange plants had captivated his imagination.  

Looking skyward, what she said about his vague statement on revenge seemed to stick to him.  It was apparent, that he was deep in contemplation.  She had a point, though partly it didn't sit right with him that he had been driven from his home, and that someone like Reiko was still allowed to walk free, drawing more gullible souls into her own wickedness.  

Once he told @Hotaru that he thought she and her mother where the most dangerous type of creature.  He was correct, they would always be convinced of their own goodness, and would butcher without remorse.  Regardless of the idea of revenge, hunting a creature like that might be the apex of achievement for a hunter.
the staff team luvs u
Medic
04-27-2022, 02:01 AM
^^It was often said that in revenge, one dug two graves - but Harper knew that if someone had tried to take the lives of her or her sister, and failed to do so - she, too, would want them dead and she would gladly dig her own grave to see them suffer.

Was the big cat going to seal his fate, as well, then? Could he look past the hatred? Harper had hoped that he would, though it was doubtful.

The sun cat’s tail lashed against the ground and sometimes his murder mittens grabbed at the ground. This would often cause Harper to whine softly as she was very apologetic in causing him discomfort and even more pain, but his wounds needed to be cleaned.

“Interesting indeed.” Interesting, and perhaps somewhat deadly, with a tiger, but not something Harper could pass up, given the chance. Going on a high usually ended up in more bonding time with individuals. That was how she and Amaranth had met, after all.

Nonetheless, she would apply the herb mixture that she had created, gently dabbing those on his worse wounds. “Let this sit and mend for a while, and they should heal up nicely. Am going to restock me herbs, would you like me to grab you a bite to eat?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-28-2022, 04:39 AM
Now that she got him started, he had to pull himself from his fantasies, of ripping Reiko and Ira limb from limb.  Snapping back to reality he growled again as she dabbed his tender wounds with herbs unknown to him. "Sorry...", he chuffed, licking his lips in stress. Hearing her whine last time, he curled his tail around her feet as a token of reassurance;  he appreciated what she was doing. 

"No, you don't have too.", he responded quickly, shooting down anyone else feeding him.  "I mean... if you could", pausing he literally looked like he had to swallow his own pride.  "I would like that...."
the staff team luvs u
05-01-2022, 09:35 PM
^^His tail would come to curl at her feet, which was not something that he had ever done to her before, though she would smile softly towards him with the tilt of her head. “I do, indeed, actually; you’s me patient, and I has to take care of you, which includes feeding you while you’re unable to hunt.”

She should press her forehead against his shoulder, softly, as he swallowed his pride and nodded her head. “Of course, friend. I’ll be back after a little while with something good for you to eat, hm? Just rest until then, okay?”

And then she was off, to gather more herbs and something for him to eat.

exit harper
^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top