Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Looking back over life

Midnight Partly Cloudy
AW
Ecologist
World Event
04-16-2022, 03:33 AM
It was his turn to see the world beyond their walls. To scratch a necessary itch in seeing this new world they lived in after Ira had come and gone over the past little while. He didn't blame her for this, they were necessary trips but he too desired to see what lay beyond their boundaries. So he travelled to where the shores were apparently waiting for his eyes to see. To the West and hopefully avoid Ragnar's claim as the High King had no desire to deal with that man and his attitude any time soon.

Nestled in the crook between two mountains was a quaint little valley of flowers. He was completely unaware that a pack use to lay claim here and instead saw no visible signs of anyone living here so he'd take a moment to wander. Eyes to the skies while feeling the tender flowers brushing against his skin reminding him of their presence around while focussing on a strange display of moving lights overhead.

They looked like beings but that couldn't be. Never had he seen such a thing before. “This place is full of surprises huh?”

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Adventurer
04-16-2022, 03:41 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 03:42 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
Feeling stifled, the High Priestess had made the impulsive decision to wander out farther than usual from Fate's Respite's secure embrace; still unknowing of her current condition, it mattered little to her. The night air still clung to winter's chill, and she breathed in to savor the frost that exhaled in soft plumes from her snout - it was freeing, liberating. As the cold set in, so much more alive did she become, eyes sparkling in the dim light of the stars that shone down upon them.

Them.

She turned, startled, and beheld Hieronymous.

“Good evening,” she would say with some confusion, thinking herself the only wolf here at such odd hours of the night. “Yes - I would say so. To see Houtu overhead is a testament to her goodness, but I do not like to take it for granted.”

Settling down comfortably some distance away, she stretched herself out along the soft flowers and gazed up toward the sky.

“It is all beautiful. What brings you here? Cannot sleep?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
Adventurer
04-17-2022, 02:20 PM
The light fragrance of the spring flowers tickled his nostrils - it was moments like these that made him think if he could smell their sweetness, what did others of his species smell with a highly functioning sense? Was it even tolerable or did they grow accustomed to it to the point that it was just as pleasant to them, as it was to him? These questions would surely forever go unanswered and yet he enjoyed thinking of such silly little things on days like this as he stared up at the moving figures dancing across the skies.

Ears twisted in the direction as a voice interjected into the silence, approaching and familiar. “Valeska.” He greeted with visible confusion. What the heck was she doing out this way? Fate's respite was further and having to go around Vanderfell's mountain, was she going on a scouting mission as he was?

“I could ask you the same thing. It would be quite the journey for a simple sleepiness night.” He laughed lightly at the thought. Easily this was a day or two journey for someone who wasn't taking their sweet time as he was. Hieronymous took his adventure with a casual stride, watching and mapping the area and taking his sweet time while doing so - and not just because he had to observe for any territories he might be crossing.

the staff team luvs u
— Hiero has a dull sense of smell, it will affect how I play him and how he acts in threads
Visionary
04-17-2022, 05:16 PM
The little wolf shrugged lightly, rolling onto her side in an effort to make herself more comfortable. Ever since her return from Northfall, particularly as the weeks ran on, she’d found most positions were a great deal less enjoyable than they used to be - perhaps she should ask Harper about that sometime.

Heironymous had expressed surprise to see her out so far, and she smiled while looking back up toward the sky. “I also like to see what is beyond our borders,” she teased lightly, but then grew more solemn. “When the star-gods appeared, it was difficult to see them past the mountains - and I have been restless as of late. Something strange is happening in this world, but I do not know what its purpose is. Have you not felt it too?”

Valeska did not yet know of the portals that littered the landscape, though it was all but guaranteed if she did find one, that every creature within a twenty-mile radius would be alerted through a high-pitched scream.

“How are things with Vanderfell?” she inquired politely, shifting her gaze back toward the oddly-coated man. “I have heard many new voices and smelled strange scents on the edges of our borders. ”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-19-2022, 12:45 AM
“Not any stranger than this place normally is.” The figures dancing in the skies were no more stranger to him than seeing wolves fall from the skies out of nowhere or the strange weather patterns they had witnessed lately. “One appeared once before as well, nothing occurred after that.” So he thought little of it, at least not in a more suspicious way than he already thought of these lands to be. Simply, he couldn't be more off-put than Hieronymous already was.

She inquired of Vanderfell - here and now, with him. Though it wasn't strange, he was their High King after all but this was simply a strange time and place for a discussion to have. This adventure suddenly took a more political turn rather than a simple fun jaunt around their new home. “We have growing children who are curious straying toward the borders, and soon-to-be allies coming and going. Things are busy, but better than ever. What of Elysium?”

He kept it casual, returning the question as though it was just a simple chat in regards of their packs' health and wellbeing. She didn't need to know what had occurred, why Shiroshika now resided as their neighbour as such a thing was only temporary.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-19-2022, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 02:55 AM by Valeska.)
Something about his expression shifted at her question, and she wondered what he was thinking - Valeska was by no accounts a political sort of wolf, and had become rather well-known as the small-talking champion of the Mountains. She had asked how his family were doing, and she had meant it. True, she was curious at the sudden influx of heavy activity surrounding their borders, but seeing how she as yet held no knowledge of their recent war, she carried only a general nosiness regarding the bustle.
After all, they were very close neighbors. It was difficult not to notice.

The reclusive wolves of Vanderfell had a tendency to cut to the chase, from her limited experience. Hieronymous at least humored her by remaining polite, but her small efforts at well-meaning engagement were not very successful to date, and she hadn't heard anything from Orlaith since they had sheltered together during the storm.

It completely confounded her how two packs could live so close together and not be best friends! - But then, she was an idealist, and not very good at being traditional.

“The sound of little paws is delightful,” she replied merrily, still unknowing of her own current condition. “Elysium is well, and quiet - I have been venturing out farther west to see what is out there, since the Plains do not appeal to me. Altogether hot and uninteresting.”

She considered telling him of her visit to Northfall, but given the strange and admittedly rather occultic events of their stay, she thought it prudent not to have to deal with those sorts of questions. He likely thought her odd enough.

“I wished to ask how Orlaith was. We met briefly during a storm and hid within a cave together until it passed, but she expressed interest in visiting with Elysium.”

Valeska hadn't heard from her since the weather event, and given her sincerity at the time, it seemed odd that she hadn't heard from the warrior.

She was probably just busy.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-19-2022, 06:36 PM
“Quiet is good, quiet is peaceful.” He hummed along mirthfully. Though Elysium had done little as neighbours other than just being there they didn't bother him much per see. He knew Ira wasn't fond of their presence sharing borders, sharing resources, but Hieronymous was the laxer of the two leaders in Vanderfell. They gave him no reason to hate them, nor love them. He was nothing but neutral on their existence as of late and that was much better than the former possibility of their relation.

The brief mention of Orlaith came to the topic at hand. Wiping away the High King's smile and a mask of neutral sorrow took its place. He couldn't more her any more than any other member. He knew very little of the troublemaker other than she being close to Ira before he had come along. They butted heads and he didn't trust her to keep a level head when meeting others at the borders or dealing with internal trouble. But he didn't wish the fate that came onto her either.

“I'm afraid she will not be visiting. Orlaith had recently passed away during a mission to the Tundra.” And that was all he would say on how she perished. Though he was neutral with Elysium, he wasn't open to sharing Vanderfell's business with them other than a shallow exchange of harmless information. If Valeska was waiting for Orlaith, surely she would take note of the lack of her scent within Vanderfell's numbers. Over time her scent would fade and the woman would only grow more curious over time.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-20-2022, 02:58 AM
His expression told her enough even before the words reached her ears, though he didn't seem as torn up as she expected; Orlaith had been blunt, fiery, even, but she had meant well. She reminded the High Priestess of a child seeking approval, yet, not knowing how to attain it, lashed out for attention. Valeska was also a highly emotional creature at her core, however, and death - even injuries - touched her deeply. Even with one meeting, she felt genuine sorrow.

Crestfallen, she bowed her head. “I am sorry,” she said quietly, studying the small pink flowers that swayed between her paws. This was her first brush with death in the new world, and the fleeting thought had crossed her mind how it might work; if this was merely a waiting room to the afterlife, then what were the consequences of sustaining a mortal injury? She had wondered if creatures could truly pass away here - but now she had her answer.

Then where did their souls go now?

“I hope her spirit is happy,” she continued through the silence. “It is said that those who burn brightest, burn the fastest.”

A wave of nausea suddenly overtook her, and she rolled up to crouch uncomfortably in the grass. Gods, what a horrible feeling. “Well, should ever you need anything, we are always welcoming,” Valeska offered through a pained smile. “I think I shall take the long way home to enjoy the air.”

Rising to her paws, she nodded her head politely toward the man and departed slowly down the sloping fields. The stars twinkled through the clouds above her, and she suddenly felt a little better - the warm embrace of Houtu from on high would see her back.

{Exit Valeska}

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-23-2022, 10:28 PM
Valeska took the news heavier than he had expected and would remain silent while she spoke. He couldn't speak much on Orlaith's character, he didn't agree with her much at all and he wasn't too find of sharing his own emotions on matters as openly as the Elysium woman was. After all, he had built this mask over years of layers being added and a single death would not crack it. He mourned in his own way, and some deaths he would mourn more than others which was a natural way of being.

“Safe travels, Valeska.” He'd speak as she turned to take a long way home. It would take a while for him to wash off the heaviness he felt after this meeting, and so he would take his time in the valley of spring flowers before moving on.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top