Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Please Don't Eat Me

Afternoon Overcast
P
04-15-2022, 08:04 PM
for @Harper
The young boy had been playing throughout the day, enjoying the sun as there were no clouds in the sky. His mother and father were there with him as he crawled into his den for the night, watching the sun set outside. Closing his eyes, he cuddled into his mother and fell fast asleep. However, sometime during the night, he felt the warmth of his family vanish. With a few sleepy blinks, he looked up, thinking that mom and dad went hunting during the night or something. But, he quickly realized he was in a whole different den? This wasn't his and it certainly didn't smell like his family. It was rather smelly of another that he didn't know. Where was he?

Poking his head outside, he noticed that the weather had changed, clouds now hiding the whole sky and the sun seemed to rewind itself, back to slowly dipping down the sky. Everything was weird and he was scared. Running back into the den, as he didn't know where else to go, he curled up in the farthest part of the den, eyes wide as he watched the den entrance in horror. Was this a bear den? He didn't think so, it smelt like wolf. But maybe this wolf ate children!

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 54529195_RrfrlNYrodsDcgt.png?1672705288]
Medic
Ecologist
04-15-2022, 09:10 PM
^^It was not a bear den, but to a child, Harper would certainly look large enough to be a bear, though she didn’t eat children. Not particularly wolf children, and not when prey was still plentiful. On this particular overcast afternoon, though, Harper was coming back to her den after planting some lavender in her medical garden.

She entered her den and stopped, quickly taking note of the earthly, floral scent that, simply put, did not belong. It was a strong scent, too, and not something that had faded - meaning that the source of such a scent was somewhere in her den.

A new flower? A gift from sister, or some secret admirer? Yeah okay, because Harper had those? Pfft, the only one who had liked Harper was now dead, and Mordecai was probably busy stuffing his face and they weren’t really serious about each other on such the level to grant each other gifts. Wait, was that a child?

Coming upon to the deepest part of her den, hidden between two large fern plants, was a shivering little pup! In HER den?! Surely, a mistake was made. Had she noticed a stork flying overhead her den? No? Was this for her? Now, had he been sporting the coloration from her now deceased mate, she might have fucking fainted, but alas - and thankfully - he did not.

Stunned, Harper wasn’t sure what to do, but she knew who would. So she slowly backed out of her den, as if this kid was something to be feared, and howled urgently for @Valeska, for she would know what to do, Harper seriously hoped.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-15-2022, 10:16 PM
Valeska found herself taking more naps than usual these days. Presently engaged in a luxurious snore within her den, hind leg kicking every once in a while to show signs of life, she was happily dreaming of frolicking in a great snowy field with the All-Mother herself. Houtu smiled warmly upon her as they danced, the starry-furred deity clearing vast distances with each leap, sprinkling stardust and shimmering flakes in her wake. It was the closest glimpse of heaven she'd ever experienced, and it was glorious.

The sound of a desperate, panicked howl cut through the rose-tinted moment. She jerked awake suddenly, a thin line of drool hanging from the corner of her mouth. What in the Five?

With a low groan, she heaved herself to her paws and stalked out from her den, looking rather unlike herself - her normally sunny disposition seemed to be enveloped by a dark, uncomfortable cloud, and she couldn't put a reason to it other than indigestion. Brow furrowed, she pressed on.

Harper stood at the mouth of her own den, appearing utterly confused and perhaps - frightened? Valeska put her ill temper aside and approached cautiously, anticipating a fight with some bear or badger that had taken up residence.

“Sister, are you oka-”

And then she saw it.

“By the gods, did another one fall from the sky?” she asked blearily, squinting up at the clouds. “I do not know how many celestial children we must take on. At this rate, we will have a daycare for Houtu's clumsy fliers.”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
04-15-2022, 10:26 PM
He kept his body in a corner, curled up behind some very large plants with his face towards the wall. It was the perfect disguise! If he couldn't see them than they couldn't see him! Except that plan fell through rather quickly as he heard the plants being moved and the sound of a woman's howl. That wasn't mother's voice, so who was this?

He gained just enough courage to turn around, through still very much pressed against the edge of the den, one blue eye peaking through the ferns. She seemed to be guarding the entrance, was this to prevent him from escaping so she could eat him!? That's what he figured as she called for another, panic spiking in the poor boy's chest. Oh no! She was gathering reinforcements! He knew there was only one way to get out of this without being wolf chow!

As the other woman walked over and looked through the den entrance, she was met with a vicious snarl and snap of jaws. To Akira, it felt like he was powerful and scary, but in reality, he just sounded like a weak engine as he had never snarled before, the sound unfamiliar to him. His small hackles rose as he watched him, eyes wide. "B-back away! I..I'll bite you if you try to eat me... I- I don't taste good I swear!" Okay, so maybe he wasn't all that scary, but at least he tried. "I.. I don't know what you did.. to summon me here but I wanna go home!" He was quickly forgetting what home really was and that scared him more than the two monsters in front of him.

the staff team luvs u
04-17-2022, 11:10 PM
^^Let’s be honest here, if it was not for Valeska, Harper might not have known what to do with the thing. What was there to do, actually? Valeska went on about another kid of celestial nature - a missed opportunity for the kid, really, especially since they clearly did not want to be eaten -

Harper, however, was not convinced. It did not look like any child she’d ever seen but alas, she’d only ever seen one kid. This one, was very clearly rabid with such a rare illness that made it smell healthy? Sure, yes, that was it.

She took a step forward and sniffed, eyes lingering over the kid. There was no other signs of illness. Maybe it wasn’t sick after all..? Her eyes narrowed. Further testing would need to be done.

“I would rather die than to eat a rabid puppy.” Harper remarked, eyes on her sister with a smirk. “Daycare means more students for class, at least… ”

Her attention fell to the kid again, tilting her head. “You’s in Elysium, which is our home. Where is your home, oh non-delicious one?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-18-2022, 05:09 AM
The sound of the child's tiny jaws snapping in the air brought on a feeling of pity. Valeska herself had been flung into this strange new land as a fully-fledged adult, with all of her faculties about her and more, yet she could little fathom the terror this child felt - to be ripped from his mother, his home, and thrust into a world of peculiar faces and unfamiliar territory. Her heart twisted in spite of herself, and she felt remorse.

“I do not think you would taste very good either, child,” she replied with a sardonic smile, lowering herself to the ground so as to appear less intimidating. Children, from her limited experience, seemed to react better to those who were on their level - literally and figuratively. “We did not summon you - we also were brought here against our will, though the gods wished it to be so. Yet we have made a very nice home beneath their holy watch, and have managed to flourish like... weeds.”

That was the best statement she could offer under the circumstances.

Harper, by contrast, seemed to be enjoying herself immensely, looking upon the child as if he were a fascinating new science project rather than a living being - some cause for concern, but at least she seemed invested.

“Do you recall anything?”

the staff team luvs u
04-18-2022, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 11:30 PM by Akira. Edited 1 time in total.)
He wasn't entirely sure what to think of these two, watching them closely. They both assured him that they weren't going to eat him, and he sniffed them curiously. Well, they didn't smell like canibals so they should be safe... right? Turning to the strange one that called him rabid, he would huff for a moment before speaking. "I'm not rabid! And I don't really know where I'm from, but it's certainly not here. I was sleeping with mom and dad and when I woke up, I was in your strange smelling den." He wrinkled his nose slightly, showing that it was indeed a very strong medical smell. 

Turning to the much nicer woman, he would slowly begin to creep closer to her, watching her movements carefully before quickly hiding himself under her, trying to squeeze his body under her stomach. It made him feel safe being in a small place and having the warmth of another wolf made him feel like he was home. "I don't remember much... I just remember mom and dad. I don't know where they are." He looked between the two of them.

"Are you going to throw me out?" He heard them say something about what he assumed was their pack, and knew that many packs wouldn't accept lone wolves who trespassed. "I, I didn't mean to trespass on your lands.." 

the staff team luvs u
04-20-2022, 11:07 PM
^^Ah kids, quick to mention he wasn’t ill or rabid - as Harper had baited him into doing so. Harper parked her butt on the floor and moved to lay down as well; she was aware that she was a bear of a wolf, and perhaps he wouldn’t be as frightened if Harper made herself look smaller.

So she laid there, head between her paws, glancing up at the little pup, who was talking about mom and dad, and being thrown out, and Harper smiled with the shake of her head. “Den smells strange because I am a healer, and need medicines close by, in case of injury or need. Am sure it do smell funny to baben not used to a medic. It take time getting used to.” Harper nodded her head softly, noting that he did not remember where he had come from. Some did, some didn’t. Harper recalled all of her memories..

But would she start to forget? Her ears lowered at the thought of forgetting, though perhaps that would take some heartbreak away. Glancing up at her sister, Harper paused in thought - glancing over her sister with the arch of brow, but quickly looking away if Valeska made eye contact with her.

“Elysium not care about trespass, we be a friendly kind of folk, if you no provoke.” Oh hey, that rhymes. “It be not nice to throw out, don’t think it count as trespass if you was summon here tho?” Harper purred, stealing another glance at her sister, as in confirmation.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-20-2022, 11:39 PM
To fall asleep with one's parents and suddenly awaken in the midst of Elysium's home was probably one of the more frightening nightmares a child could have. Of course Valeska loved Fate's Respite, and equally adored her packmates, but by the gods - she understood his terror completely.

She could even think of a few adults who might be traumatized by the idea.

As Valeska opened her mouth to reassure him that they would not, indeed, be throwing him out with the trash, the child crouched low to the ground and sneakily wedged himself beneath her stomach, now sporting her chest fur like a strange headpiece as he shifted his gaze between the two. She stared down at him, bewildered but unable to move. “I- no, we will not throw you anywhere,” she said awkwardly, “We are not like other packs. We do not disim... discimr...”

'Sacred Wolf Mother', she swore internally.

“Dih-scrim-inn-ate.”

That was a hard one. She looked to Harper for approval, before realizing her sister likely had about as much of an idea as she did. English was absurd.

No matter.

Harper was the picture of fluffy innocence, laying upon the den floor with her head propped between her paws, staring curiously out toward the pup. Her den did smell a little strange, but the healer was quick to correct his remark and explain its other purpose as herb storage - it certainly smelled medicinal. Valeska sneezed lightly, wondering what it was that had set off her sinuses.

“Well, if the gods have seen fit to bring you here, and Harper does not wish to eat you,” she began, unable to resist the joke, “Then you may find a home with us. What are your interests? This is as good a time as any to begin Eventful Horizon's idea of a school - let us train you in a skill.”

The pale wolf turned back to glance outside, up toward the sky where the now-obscured stars of Houtu were no doubt hiding. The dancing figures had been visible every night for several days now, taking strange shapes and moving across the horizon with purpose. She wondered at the coincidence - two celestial children, now, with one upon their doorstep each time Houtu appeared in the sky.

It might be helpful if the Five dropped some food along with them next time.

the staff team luvs u
04-21-2022, 12:03 AM
Regardless of everything that had happened to the boy within the last couple of minutes, he strangely felt safe with these two, at least now that he knew they weren't going to eat him. Nestled under the woman's chest, he watched the two of them, visibly relaxing as they spoke about not kicking him out. At least they weren't mad at him. Maybe his life would be okay from now on, but that was still yet to be seen. 

Seeing the other wolf lay herself down, he would move from under the light colored female, the one who he now mentally named 'snow mama' and moved slowly towards the other one. 'Dirt mama', yes that was totally her name to him now. At least mentally it was. Sniffing for cautiously for a moment, he would move to place himself against her, nuzzling into her side. This was all still new to him and being near someone just made him feel so much better. 

"Well... thank you for taking me in..." He turned towards Snow Mama for a moment, cocking his head to the side for a moment at her words. Training? He had never really thought about that before. "Well, I'm not really sure. I never really did anything before. I know that Dirt Mama can heal, but what can you do?" He hadn't realized he had said the new name for Harper out loud, looking up at Snow Mama with a curious expression.

the staff team luvs u
04-22-2022, 01:41 AM
^^Ah, so Valeska wasn’t as well spoken in English as Harper had been led to believe, but alas, she no longer felt alone with the big english words, merely smirking and shrugging her shoulders as Valeska looked to her for approval and guidance.

English was the worst thing that there was, but Harper had yet to meet another russian speaking canine, to much regret, and the only one who had ever wished to learn was Hawking, who had left her at around the same time that Crux had. It was shameful, really, though now that Crux was gone, and now that she had no reason to keep practicing..

And then Akira spoke, and Harper blinked. Dirt Mama?“По крайней мере, он не называл меня Дьявольским Волком.” Harper mused, glancing at her sister with a smirk, though blinking as he came closer and nuzzled into her side. Oh, it looks like she’s just been adopted. Slowly, she would move to sniff the top of his wee little head. “You got name, or we just call you Mud Pup?” Harper arched her brows at him, and then glanced at her sister.

“Oh Valeska? She tackle tigers, and communes with greatness,” (and darkness, if you counted Harper), “speaks to da Five, and me sane. All good, mmmportant stuffs, yeah.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-22-2022, 02:27 AM
The child seemed to grow more comfortable as they spoke, and eventually crawled out from beneath Valeska's substantial underfur to at last inspect her sister. She cut an intimidating figure with her striking coat and sharp eyes, height and brisk mannerisms notwithstanding; yet within her carefully guarded heart, she held a sensitive soul. The thought of hurting a child (intentionally anyway) was likely unfathomable, but she couldn't help first impressions.

"I know that Dirt Mama can heal, but what can you do?"

Valeska choked, cheeks puffing out as she clenched her mouth shut to stifle a laugh.

Dirt Mama.

Harper took it in stride, however, and even braved a smirk at her sibling. At least the pup had been spared her wrath this day - it could have gone either way. "Ты честно предпочитаешь грязную маму Dirt Mama?" she whispered incredulously, sides heaving as she was barely able to contain her mirth. Some mysteries not even the Five could explain, it seemed.

The question did remain, though - what could Valeska do? Thankfully her sister leapt in to the rescue, quickly rattling off a slightly inaccurate list of useless and/or dangerous attributes that hardly contributed to the pack, much less their quality of life, but there it stood. It made her heart swell to hear Harper could even come up with anything at all, considering the Priestess's general skillset.

“We also have Mordecai, who is keen on fighting and growing strong to protect us. It is up to you what you wish to try - you can be anything you like, here,” she said encouragingly, noting how he nuzzled so deeply into Harper's fur already. It was admittedly kind of adorable. “Oh! My name is Valeska, by the way. I do speak for the Five, our gods; though my mate Amaranth seems to do a better job of late.”

It was unfortunately true, considering their brief jaunt into tarot-reading back at Behemoth's Brim. She had never encountered such raw power - and now, how the sky glittered with the gods! “Houtu, our All-Mother, shall help guide you into who you are meant to be. Tell me, what title jumps out at you first - Thornweaver, Spiritwalker, Shadowsbane, or Windseeker?”

the staff team luvs u
04-24-2022, 06:44 AM
The boy looked between the two of them, ears pushed forward as he tried to understand what they were saying. At first, he thought he had done something wrong, but neither of them seemed mad at him so he guessed he was alright? Cocking his head to the side, he would glance between the two, damn near getting whiplash from looking between his new mothers. "What are you saying? What weird language is that? Can I learn?" He asked quite a few questions at a time, though the slow wag of his tail and his excited body language showed that he was interested in learning more. 

Hearing Dirt Mama's words, the boy would huff slightly before shaking his head. "My name is Akira!" He said, rather proud of his own name. He always remembered his old mama calling his name and telling him how much she loved his now. Well now he was sad again. However, the sadness on his face quickly vanished as he turned to look at Snow Mama, hearing her amazing stories about tigers!

He learned Snow Mama's name, and would try his best to say it. "Vale.. Veli... Valis... Snow Mama." He gave up in a huff, shaking his head in annoyance. However, he thought for a moment, listening to the choices that were laid out in front of him. Which of them were the coolest? "Uh, Shadowsbane sounds really cool!" He smiled softly as he looked up at Snow Mama, silently wondering what that even meant.

the staff team luvs u
04-26-2022, 03:49 AM
^^Harper took to the child with the arch of brow, glancing over his muddied appearance and decided that he needed a bath, right then and there. So she leaned over and grabbed him - by the face/head - and planted him very roughly between her paws as she began to groom him in a non-gentle fashion.

[Image: 68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773...634303.gif]

“You can learn anything you wish, Акира Harper would purr, noting that the only ones who ever seemed to give a damn about learning were children. Even Crux hadn’t bothered to learn. Perhaps he would have, some time down the road, but alas..

He selected the path of the warrior, though Harper noted that Shadowsbane sounded more like a plant. “Valeska is Snow Mama?” Harper blinked, did this kid think the two of them as his new mothers? Boy, he’d be real confused when he met Amaranath, then.

“Vah-less-kah,” Harper tried to slowly pronounce her sister’s name, and then she smiled very slowly.

“Or грешный лось works too.”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-28-2022, 03:32 AM
There was a first for everything, and this was surely the first time anyone had ever expressed an interest in learning their mother tongue. It wasn't exactly an easy one (though it could not possibly be harder than English, she thought with some pain), so she hadn't really expected such an enthusiastic response. Most folks either ignored the strange gibberish or raised an eyebrow; but then, perhaps the eagerness to learn was a product of the pup's youth. Either way, she was flattered, much like Harper.

“I am sure we would be happy to teach you, Akira,” she began, but quickly stole a glance at her sister as she recalled the last time one of their own had learned any Russian words. Harper seemed to delight in sabotaging well-meaning innocents into uttering either terrible profanities or their absurd moose-related insult, and Valeska was somehow always on the receiving end of these proud moments.

Akira then shifted gears and set to work on his first task, which was apparently to try and pronounce her name. She didn't think it particularly difficult - it could have been far worse, all things considered - but smiled at the way he finally gave up called her Snow Mama, feeling a strange, maternal little tingle within her.

It was oddly cute.

“Shadowsbane, then? Well, I am sure you will make ferocious warrior one day,” she said with a chuckle, observing the rough bath he was being subjected to. His fur was stuck out every which way beneath her busy tongue, looking more like a pineapple crossed with a mud puddle than a young wolf. “I see the fire of Rhys in you, somewhere; he is our reigning god of summer and flame, who burns hot and eager to learn and forge bonds. With his help under Houtu's watchful eye, we will find your skill and hone it.”

And if, gods forbid, he did not possess an innate skill, maybe they could make one up. The Five's holy associations were more like suggestions for the mortals they presided over, and if Akira proved to be good at something else perfectly useless, they would appreciate and care for him anyway.

“Not грешный лось she hissed quickly, admonishing her sister with a gentle slap.

Perhaps it was time the child met Mordecai for his first bout of... training. Valeska cleared her throat gently, but made no move to disturb Harper's great work.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-28-2022, 03:56 PM
He had been content cuddle into Dirt Mama, but let out a loud huff as he was roughly picked up for a grooming session. "Hey!" He wiggled around, hating that she was messing up his fur! Now he looked stupid. However, she was clearly much bigger and stronger than he was and after a few seconds of being unable to run away, he sighed and relaxed, only muttering softly to himself. 

Is Valeska Snow Mama? Well that was a dumb question, of course she was. Clearly Dirt Mama hadn't been paying attention this whole time. However, as she sounded out the name, he would try it himself. "Vah-less-kah, Valesscah, Valeska. Valeska!" He was extremely proud of himself, having correctly said her name. 

Looking between them, he cocked his head to the side slightly. "What are you guy saying?" He wanted to learn more of their weird dialect. Turning over towards Snow.. Valeska, he would cock his head to the side. "Who's Rhys, can I meet him? Is Houtu the God?" He didn't know much about their religion, but was curious enough to want to learn more.

the staff team luvs u
05-01-2022, 09:28 PM
^^For a moment, though brief since he was still a smol bean and easily man-handled by Harper, the two of them fought as he tried to get away from the bathtime. Though after a second or two, he’d given up, proving that he knew when to call it quits - which was a good trait to have, if he was to be a warrior.

She would listen softly, with encouraging nods of her head as he tried to speak Valeska’s name, though lowering her head and ears as Valeska hissed at her. She was right, though; she would need a much better name for others to call her by, as Sinful Moose was old.

“Ahs, I was just telling Valeska that you would make lovely Shadowsbane.” She would not comment on Rhys or Houtu, as religion was Valeska’s passion and not hers.

“Anyway, twas nice meeting you. Perhaps Valeska can show you the dens, and tell you about the gods, while I continue my assessment on the garden, yes?”

She’d give her sister a quick nuzzle and lick to the forehead, so give her a matching hairdo to Akira’s, and then she was off.

Exit harper if not stopped
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-02-2022, 10:19 PM
The child struggled mightily beneath Harper's doting attentions. It was kind of cute watching her behave in an almost motherly fashion toward another creature, something she had either chosen not to display until this point or had only just now manifested with the appearance of the little brown pup. Finally he ceased, relaxing in a pouty sort of way but not appearing too distressed. She suspected he wanted something like this after all.

“Oh, good,” she said encouragingly, “See? It is not hard. Valeska is easy to remember, as is Harper - who is the very nice lady giving you a shower right now.”

Undoubtedly the child would revert back to his own preferred names for them, but she didn't think her sister would tolerate Dirt Mama for longer than a fortnight. They had time, at least, and as Akira continued to practice her name aloud, she too suffered from a bizarre motherly urge to take care of him. Duty demanded it, but a hormonal shift in her body required it.

Harper rose at last, clearly needing a break from the interaction. She gave her sister an affectionate lick as she parted, choosing to return to her garden while allowing Valeska to try and distract the boy with the ins and outs of his new home (though something told her information retention would not come easily to him for some time yet).

“Come, Akira,” she said, rising as well. “I will show you where to sleep tonight as well as where we keep our food - for I am sure you are hungry!”

{Exit Valeska}

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top